Nikon D750 & D780

Did you line the shot up before you realised? I once did that, luckily one person had a single box, distributed to the right people we got the shot but it was very nearly an embarrassing moment :LOL:

Nope, just glossed over doing it. Although I’ve done the confetti sharing our before haha

I find setting an actual figure for Auto ISO works better too, it never really seems to be fast enough, even on the faster setting

I used to be at 1/160, then 1/200. But the 750s ISO is so good that 1/250 is fine. But I am a prime shooter usually around f2. Suspect if you shoot zooms you may have to drop that a bit.

I used to be at 1/160, then 1/200. But the 750s ISO is so good that 1/250 is fine. But I am a prime shooter usually around f2. Suspect if you shoot zooms you may have to drop that a bit.

I found the exact same thing, also mostly a prime shooter so never found it to be a problem. I had it set the same on my old D3 and that was fine so D750 is cleaner at comparable ISO!

Nope, just glossed over doing it. Although I’ve done the confetti sharing our before haha

This is the exact reason that I’ve bought my own confetti for my own wedding, distributed by ushers; Taking no chances :LOL: I’m hoping our photographer appreciates it, he did appreciate me explaining the ceremony lighting :LOL:

PS. They're Canon files too, oops, just felt the need to share...

43567613562_b4879749e0_b.jpg
More joyously welcomed (hmm iOS tried to auto correct that to noisily welcomed it might have a point!) is the Canon user who repenteth; than the pious Nikon devotee.

This. I missed this off my post for some reason? I set auto ISO with a 1/250 min but use easy exp comp.

Where are you based with that snow
John?

I'm up in the Highlands, Alfie was born in September and when he was allowed out walking it's when we had all the snow in 2009 so he's always loved the cold even though it looks unpleasant for him to slide along the ice and stick his head in it:

DSC_3894-L.jpg

I find setting an actual figure for Auto ISO works better too, it never really seems to be fast enough, even on the faster setting

I think it's only two stops faster at the maximum setting so I do the same as you when I want really high shutter speeds and set a higher base ISO

My auto ISO lives at 0.7 - 12,800 at 1/250 second unless I’m out in constant weather - then I’ll try and shoot at lowest ISO I can. Used to shoot a bit slower but as others have said noise is so good with the D750 I don’t have to worry too much.

My auto ISO lives at 0.7 - 12,800 at 1/250 second unless I’m out in constant weather - then I’ll try and shoot at lowest ISO I can. Used to shoot a bit slower but as others have said noise is so good with the D750 I don’t have to worry too much.

Auto ISO won't choose less than 100 though will it?

D750 users, I might be about to join you. I've been using Fuji for a few months but not feeling as home with that system as I have done with Nikon DSLR's. Prior to the Fuji, I had a D810 and D3. I liked the D810 and my serious photography is mainly landscape stuff or astro, which it was great for but actually the majority of my photos are family stuff which the D810 is a bit overkill for. I think a D750 will be a better all rounder for me.

Two niggly little things are bugging me and I wonder if anyone can put my mind at ease.

1. The lack of viewfinder cover built in. I don't want to mess around with the plastic cover. Does anyone make either a new clip on viewfinder with integrated cover or a hot shoe fitting that provides a fold down cover. If not, I might invent one!

2. The remote jack that I'd use for a remote time is in the side rather than the front which I'm concerned will interfere with a L-bracket. I had this problem with my old D610 but it was just about manageable but not ideal. Is the D750 any different?

Hmm might have to play later with that. I wonder if it'll only go to lower than iso 100 if it maxes out 1/8000 at iso 100.

Nope, just won't go lower than 100 ever from what I've seen. If you want to go below ISO100 you need to turn Auto off.

Thanks guys - probably going to hire an 85mm for an upcoming holiday to give the focal length a try, i'll go with the Nikon. Not sure I can face the weight of the Sigma lol

So I hired the 85mm lens for my holiday in Italy for a friends wedding - from lensesforhire.co.uk who are superb - and it was fantastic. I now understand why it is a go to portrait lens and reminded me of using the 50mm on my old D7000. I'll be saving for one of these I think.

I also got to grips with the Sigma 35mm Art and it is amazing.

A few photos - not of people as it isn't my place to post their wedding photos on a forum lol

85mm

Butterflies by S8, on Flickr

Using the 85 to try and capture the huge rainstorm we had in the final hour before the wedding.

Rain Storm by S8, on Flickr

This thread was on the second page, shame on you all!
I would post the brilliant Lunar eclipse photos I took... only after weeks of being unable to get cool, tit was cloudy. Whoever arranges these things needs to get the sack!

Want a 35mm lens for my holiday.

Sigma 1.4 or Nikon 1.8?

Price wise not much in it these days!

Last edited:

Sigma 1.4 or Nikon 1.8?

No experience of either. But I’d go for the Siggy Art.

Sigma 1.4 or Nikon 1.8?

I've not tried the Nikon but it would be some lens if it can top the Sigma 35mm. I'm in the process of switching back to Nikon and the Sigma 35mm was the very first lens on the list. It's also the only one that was an absolute must. All the other stuff, I felt there were two or three options that I could happily opt for. Funnily enough I don't even need a 35mm, it sits awkwardly with the other lenses I want, has no specific purpose and yet sits right at the top of the list! So, hope that conveys my sheer enthusiasm for the lens. It's by some margin my favourite lens that I've ever used, and there have been some good ones!

Being a little more objective about it, downsides to the Sigma are higher price (I assume?), you probably want to get a USB dock to get the best out of it and lastly it's quite a big lens and certainly quite heavy. I assume a lot heavier than the Nikon 1.8 but then it is a 1.4 and feels every bit like a 'pro' lens.

I like the look of the Nikon, if I'd never tried the Sigma, it would be right up my street but the Sigma has a little magic.

Sigma 1.4 or Nikon 1.8?

I had the Nikon 35 1.8 for a short while last year before changing to the 1.4 and it's a great lens. Small, sharp and doesn't weigh too much.

If my Fuji kit ever sells, I'm tempted to try the Sigma, although I believe they're a bit hit and miss quality wise and I've read reports that focussing can go off on them after a while - not sure how much truth there is in either of those comments mind.

I've not tried the Nikon but it would be some lens if it can top the Sigma 35mm. I'm in the process of switching back to Nikon and the Sigma 35mm was the very first lens on the list. It's also the only one that was an absolute must. All the other stuff, I felt there were two or three options that I could happily opt for. Funnily enough I don't even need a 35mm, it sits awkwardly with the other lenses I want, has no specific purpose and yet sits right at the top of the list! So, hope that conveys my sheer enthusiasm for the lens. It's by some margin my favourite lens that I've ever used, and there have been some good ones!

Being a little more objective about it, downsides to the Sigma are higher price (I assume?), you probably want to get a USB dock to get the best out of it and lastly it's quite a big lens and certainly quite heavy. I assume a lot heavier than the Nikon 1.8 but then it is a 1.4 and feels every bit like a 'pro' lens.

I like the look of the Nikon, if I'd never tried the Sigma, it would be right up my street but the Sigma has a little magic.

I can't afford the dock and we leave on Saturday so I am cutting things fine! Looking for a lens just to chuck on and hopefully not have to worry about too much fine tuning!!

Realising you only have a 70-200 to take with you a few days before leaving is bad planning lol

Tamron 35 1.8 vc. It’s between both your mentioned lenses in terms of sharpness and has vc and offers 1:2 macro!

Seems like a middle ground all round - middle weiht weight and middle size!

This thread was on the second page, shame on you all! one from yesterdays wedding, had literally about 5 minutes of this light then it vanished.

Wedding by Tim G, on Flickr

lovely shot.

im doing a wedding on saturday. likely going to be in the high 20's or early 30's so im hoping to get as much done around 8.15pm as possible!

Back