Nikon D750 & D780

35mm f2d is the cheapest - good enough for just casual walk abouts?

35mm f2d is the cheapest - good enough for just casual walk abouts?

Handy little lens for casual shooting, and (mine) seems to be better than it's portrayed on t'internet.

Somewhere back in this thread is a pic I took with mine which someone asked if it had been taken with one of the trendy 35s. :)

Handy little lens for casual shooting, and (mine) seems to be better than it's portrayed on t'internet.

Somewhere back in this thread is a pic I took with mine which someone asked if it had been taken with one of the trendy 35s. :)

Have heard mixed views! Some of which may be snobbery lol! I like non trendy stuff!

Can give it a go! Do these older lenses have decent enough coating/protection as no hood so wondering if to chuck a protection filter with it!

White balance

I've always stuck pretty much to auto1 unless something more specific is needed, does anyone use, or recommend auto2 (Keep warm lighting colours).

White balance

I've always stuck pretty much to auto1 unless something more specific is needed, does anyone use, or recommend auto2 (Keep warm lighting colours).

All my Nikon RAW files usually have Auto WB set. Then in Lightroom "Camera Calibration" I apply "Camera Standard" instead of the "Adobe Standard" - works perfectly 99% of the time

White balance

WB is preference as much as anything. I personally preferred Auto 2 on the D750 as the colour tended to be more natural to my eyes. I did tweak it slightly though to make it even more 'real to life', think I added more magenta to it from memory.

All my Nikon RAW files usually have Auto WB set. Then in Lightroom "Camera Calibration" I apply "Camera Standard" instead of the "Adobe Standard" - works perfectly 99% of the time
The D750 (and others) has more than one Auto WB, two in fact. my D850 has 3 or 4 :eek: I use camera standard in LR too, adobe is far too magenta and too flat imo. I do decrease the yellow saturation of the camera standard profile though.

Last edited:
The D750 (and others) has more than one Auto WB, two in fact. Buy D850 has 3 or 4 :eek: I use camera standard in LR too, adobe is far too magenta and too flat imo. I do decrease the yellow saturation of the camera standard profile though

My go to Camera is my D800 (May upgrade to D850 though -see what happens in other areas),
I was using Mrs. Chuckles' D750 after the shutter was replaced..... in fact it was you who tempted me down the path of the Adobe Standard being a little off - I agree, too, about the Camera Standard as being a little warm/yellow..... best option though in my opinion.

Finally got around to processing uploading a day out in London armed with Mrs. Chuckles' D750 and the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 - seriously impressed [emoji4] (If you knew my hatred of Sigma QC over the years you'd realise what a 'brave' step this was for me)

DSC_2846 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

DSC_2835 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

DSC_2809-2 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

DSC_2915 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

DSC_2914 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

DSC_2850 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Yes, I had the same hatred too but my 135 art has restored some faith, it’s wicked!

I’m an Adobe Standard and Auto WB 2 man, but then half the time I rock the WB slider to taste.

Having a "stupid moment". Probably something silly.

With the camera on single frame or continious it takes one photo
With the camera on timer it takes three photo

Don't know why but looking at bracketing this is turned off.

Having a "stupid moment". Probably something silly.

With the camera on single frame or continious it takes one photo
With the camera on timer it takes three photo

Don't know why but looking at bracketing this is turned off.

In the timer settings, you can specify how many shots and intervals between.

Just bagged myself a Sigma 35 1.4 from evilbay. 10% code today means it’s come in well under £400. Definitely worth a punt on it! :banana:

:mad: missed it..not lens but promo. Is it new or used? Missed 24mm F1.8 g which got sold for £370. Anyway managed to find 35mm F1.8G ED AF-S from CEX for £275. No condition listed but their return policy is first class.

For once I didn't 'settle' for one of the seven sorta OK shots before this one, stuck with the scene and had a little luck.

mplcfSqI32Qta-GtOACDDLuLdAwzfqP999WpdMa0gMrVSfuTIxPKNdf4qS0paDAk_r6oCr4rkFioHsn08DGa0j_M0rDfpUAFt1nuCtlF__rVBfyykLx-3z4b_Czic53h3rMhxA-16IJH-uXXNL7xHOglMUqKqF6gi0lPrXeKafR4Nd3zWy_ws1N9mo5yrQ2-j8ZYAP3x-NjA1BzP6xHMfCykXDHBM8-ZYqtYgqTs7dmA83YPo6XHaNRL7gmG1ZYujr8IL2lwzgt8wn5ywS3RKMAFvycgibLYWZjExZbIryEpzOE35v-zJzveQ9wj-DRKtYja0SpPVwamZeuBCcdqRrklxOqJ38GgHVP-DibWIBi7-55tHkervHt0tEpxKCMSztsZcrA71FJsWuh9ozJXkJlfVIAxp8vuRv26aG7bRdYu7t0e9ei5G_VBduhN3oaZHL3c5tZQII0fH7sTP2PsdEsDcAvTo1D9-ir5StqLc-3qP-qFWlMNgmPLLJdDxAY9Xh124m2JY6Vudy9piTcl638vzhViIU0BUGqRkoujGKGL8lwEnkrXkbhJlApUNq6ghvZkedIwTuHbV-oNUMP-F4R36cQjuzEmKpzP15pt=w1024-h684-no

Off to dorset on Monday for a weeks family holiday, so get ready for some baby on beach pictures, bad landscapes and some poor sunset and sunrise pictures
I'm having a weekend just like that. Was out for sunset and didn't even take the camera out of the bag:(

:mad: missed it..not lens but promo. Is it new or used? Missed 24mm F1.8 g which got sold for £370. Anyway managed to find 35mm F1.8G ED AF-S from CEX for £275. No condition listed but their return policy is first class.
That’s a great price for the 35mm 1.8. Never think to look there for kit.

Off to dorset on Monday for a weeks family holiday, so get ready for some baby on beach pictures, bad landscapes and some poor sunset and sunrise pictures

Sounds like my holidays [emoji3] Thing is, can you be bothered to get up early for a sunrise, I normally can’t.

Currently on holiday with my emergency 35mm f2 lens. Quite fun really! Will look to upgrade on my return!

Back