Nikon D750 & D780

Anyone used the Siggy and Tamron 35mm lenses and share opinions on both?

I've a D700 at present and might get one of these next month instead. Like the idea of Video as i had a D300s prior to that but let my Nephew have that.

Took one lens with me last week and Mrs. Chuckles' D750 (she's starting to ask for it back)

Sigma 35mm Art is quite something. Went for a bit of nostalgia and is completely outside the box for me, processing wise.

WW II Dereham 1 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Finally went to Ragley for the Battle Proms evening but the weather didn't play ball, sadly the Spitfire was cancelled. Snapped a few things anyway and quite like this one of some random woman, 3200 iso, got to love the 750 and noise reduction!

42183903350_3165d1760e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back from up North. Didn't take too many photos as wanted to travel light for the most part. Couple of pics from my travels with the 35mm f2D - no editing done yet apart from cropping.

DSC_7228 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_7225 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_7057 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_7041 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_7030 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_7015 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_6997 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_6995 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Nice relaxed affair yesterday, lovely couple, DIY wedding pretty much, sun was blazing for the ceremony though as you can see from the confetti shot. Then just clouds all evening.

Sofa shot is with a single speedlight camera right with a magsphere on it. Will probably clone out the pole before final delivery

Emma-Charlie-Wedding-1.jpg Emma-Charlie-Wedding-2.jpg Emma-Charlie-Wedding-3.jpg

Back from up North. Didn't take too many photos as wanted to travel light for the most part. Couple of pics from my travels with the 35mm f2D - no editing done yet apart from cropping.

DSC_7228 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_7225 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_7057 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_7041 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_7030 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_7015 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_6997 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

DSC_6995 by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr
Where’s the soldier ‘statue’ taken?

Does my 750 appear to be front focussing ? - noticed it on the image taken on Tamron 70-200 at 175mm. Seems to have little in focus behind the sign. What have people found to be the best methods to AF fine tune their 750's ?

Last edited:
Seems that you will have to get a tap in consol for best results.

Does my 750 appear to be front focussing ? - noticed it on the image taken on Tamron 70-200 at 175mm. Seems to have little in focus behind the sign. What have people found to be the best methods to AF fine tune their 750's ?

If you don't have a Tamron USB dooberry, my method would be:

Choose a distance and focal length that's most important to you (personally with a 70-200 I want it to work well at 200mm and quite close up, maybe 2m or so.

Find a high contrast object (something with small text is good) and place it to 2m away from the camera. Camera on a tripod. Aperture at 2.8. Manual settings to get exposure right and consistent.

Dial in -20 AF fine tune, knock the focus way off by manual override and then refocus using AF-S (not live view) on your subject and take a pic. Repeat for -15, -10, -5, 0, +5, +10, +15 and +20

Load the pic on computer and pick the 2 images that you perceive to be sharpest and then repeat the test just using the finer range in between so maybe -10, -9, -8, -7, -6, -5

Load them up and pick the sharpest. Adjust your camera to save that value for that lens.

There are other methods but that seems to work well.

Last edited:
I done something a little strange last night, I took the D750 out lol 1st time in a while since getting the D500.
I was at Ste Maxime for an evening out and for the firework display, Heres 3 images that I took,

All at ISO 3200
White man
GRE_1469 by Graham, on Flickr

Fireworks
GRE_1555 by Graham, on Flickr

Under the spot light
GRE_1503 by Graham, on Flickr

Thanks

Anyone used a Nikon 28mm f2.8d. Bought one at a very reasonable cost but having read a couple of reviews I’m having buyers remorse. :D

Heres one I took a few weeks ago. Its a neolithic burial site next to a church a short distance from where we live in Brittany. It is said ( by a woman we met there) to have healing properties if you stand in the right spot. Apparently the " magnetism" will cure all ills ( and the water in the fountain a short walk away apparently cures earache!)
So, not one to rubbish the French belief of all things magical, especially in Brittany, and having been recently suffering from a painful lower back, I stood in the spot for a while.
Result......no more back ache since!

These Neoliths and Druids knew what they were doing.......
Neolithic burial site-2.jpg

Heres one I took a few weeks ago. Its a neolithic burial site next to a church a short distance from where we live in Brittany. It is said ( by a woman we met there) to have healing properties if you stand in the right spot. Apparently the " magnetism" will cure all ills ( and the water in the fountain a short walk away apparently cures earache!)
So, not one to rubbish the French belief of all things magical, especially in Brittany, and having been recently suffering from a painful lower back, I stood in the spot for a while.
Result......no more back ache since!

These Neoliths and Druids knew what they were doing.......
View attachment 132685
Sounds like I need to pay this spot a visit (y)

Anyone used a Nikon 28mm f2.8d. Bought one at a very reasonable cost but having read a couple of reviews I’m having buyers remorse. :D

I've had a couple in the past. I don't think they're all that bad actually and represent great value. I don't think they're much use wide open but other than that, perfectly okay.

I've had a couple in the past. I don't think they're all that bad actually and represent great value. I don't think they're much use wide open but other than that, perfectly okay.

Cheers pal. Probably just over thinking as usual. :)

Cheers pal. Probably just over thinking as usual. :)

Trouble with reviews is that lenses are so good now that when one gets a bad review you half expect photos from them to like shooting through a jam jar but in reality they just don't necessarily have the wow factor or suffer from a bit of CA or whatever. I think the 28mm is just fine and let's be honest it doesn't have much competition at the price band that it usually occupies. And it's nice and light.

Last edited:
Love the train shot, but would prefer a straight B&W conversion.
I done something a little strange last night, I took the D750 out lol 1st time in a while since getting the D500.
I was at Ste Maxime for an evening out and for the firework display, Heres 3 images that I took,

All at ISO 3200
White man
GRE_1469 by Graham, on Flickr

Fireworks
GRE_1555 by Graham, on Flickr

Under the spot light
GRE_1503 by Graham, on Flickr

Thanks

Third shot is a beauty my friend!

Last edited:
Love the train shot, but would prefer a straight B&W conversion. Nice detail on the panorama but the horizon isn't straight. Sorry, it's the first thing I notice...

Maybe a true B/W conversion would work as well.... wanted a slightly aged look.
As for a slopey horizon I beg to disagree - I was born and brought up on the Isle of Wight and one thing I hate is a wonky horizon. If you want to argue there's a bit of 'barrel distortion' I'd agree but as for water running off into one corner then I stand my (level) ground! :)

Maybe a true B/W conversion would work as well.... wanted a slightly aged look.
As for a slopey horizon I beg to disagree - I was born and brought up on the Isle of Wight and one thing I hate is a wonky horizon. If you want to argue there's a bit of 'barrel distortion' I'd agree but as for water running off into one corner then I stand my (level) ground! :)

Doesn't matter how wonky the IOW is, the sea meeting the sky is straight. It is wonky, only very slightly, but it is.

Doesn't matter how wonky the IOW is, the sea meeting the sky is straight. It is wonky, only very slightly, but it is.

Barrel distortion is NOT an un-level horizon ....I'll just leave this here ....

wonky_horizon_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back