Nikon D750 & D780

Barrel distortion is NOT an un-level horizon ....I'll just leave this here ....

wonky_horizon_1.jpg

left hand is lower than the right side?

So I’ve been running with a tamron 24-70 f2.8 for quite a while and I’m toying with the idea of trying a nifty fifty as a lighter alternative

I know they have been posts about various 50mm options but what’s the general consensus on Nikon 1.4d v 1.8d v 1.4g v 1.8g
I’ve been erring towards 1.8d but unsure. The sigma 1.4 art is too big, heavy and expensive as far as I’m concerned

All opinions welcome

So I’ve been running with a tamron 24-70 f2.8 for quite a while and I’m toying with the idea of trying a nifty fifty as a lighter alternative

I know they have been posts about various 50mm options but what’s the general consensus on Nikon 1.4d v 1.8d v 1.4g v 1.8g
I’ve been erring towards 1.8d but unsure. The sigma 1.4 art is too big, heavy and expensive as far as I’m concerned

All opinions welcome
I've got a 50mm 1.8 (non d) I originally bought for my film camera. I'm very pleased with it, much sharper than I ever thought it would be. I normally shoot it around f2/f2.2 and it's stopped me thinking about the Nikon/Sigma 1.4's for now.

All opinions welcome

I'm in the minority here and find the 1.8g very good wide open. I have used at 1.8 many times.

I tried the 1.4g but went back to the 1.8g.

But i think 35mm works better as a one lens solution as at times the 50 was too long.

Saying that I would still highly recommend the 1.8g, it’s small and light and AF is good and IQ is excellent. I have had many of them lol.

I'm in the minority here and find the 1.8g very good wide open. I have used at 1.8 many times.

I tried the 1.4g but went back to the 1.8g.

But i think 35mm works better as a one lens solution as at times the 50 was too long.

Saying that I would still highly recommend the 1.8g, it’s small and light and AF is good and IQ is excellent. I have had many of them lol.

Yep, inclined to agree. I've had all of them at one time or another too. Would say the 1.8g is the sweet spot for cost vs. output. The 1.4g is largely the same IQ wise but with a little wider aperture available if needed but it's not amazing wide open and costs quite a lot more. The older ones are fine too but I think the g lenses are noticeably better. Only thing I would say, is that the 50mm 1.8g new price has crept up quite a bit recently. They may make much more sense secondhand, often go for around £100 on ebay.

It'll be yours Graham.... T.J.G wanted mine to be a plain B/W conversion ;)
Ah cool, thanks. It's not a shot I would normally take but when I saw these people under a lamp I just couldn't resist.
Comment very much appreciated [emoji106]

So, haven’t really used the built in pop up flash, usually have a separate unit in the bag, but needed to yesterday for a touch of fill. But couldn’t get above the sync speed, surely can use it in hss? Can’t figure out what’s stopping this?

So, haven’t really used the built in pop up flash, usually have a separate unit in the bag, but needed to yesterday for a touch of fill. But couldn’t get above the sync speed, surely can use it in hss? Can’t figure out what’s stopping this?
Nope, I can't think of a single inbuilt flash that goes above the sync speed tbh.

My Nikon 28mm f2.8 turned up earlier this week. Haven't had much chance to try it out as I'm packing for my holiday.... My fears from reading mixed reviews are a bit unfound really from what I've tried of it so far. A bit of fine tune with my AF software and it seems pretty much as good as I want from it.

Still tempted by a D850, but really don't need one given how well the D750 performs.

That said, Z mount 58mm Noct for the mirrorless?

Still tempted by a D850, but really don't need one given how well the D750 performs.

That said, Z mount 58mm Noct for the mirrorless?
I’d wait to see what the Z7 offers (y)

I’d wait to see what the Z7 offers (y)

Is that what the new mirrorless is going to be called? Haven’t kept up or been on for a good while.

For weddings, I wouldn’t bother with an 850 from what I’ve read, I think the 750 is still more than adequate. Maybe the 750’s replacement would be the logical step. Be an early adopter and help iron out the creases before I can afford one.

Is that what the new mirrorless is going to be called? Haven’t kept up or been on for a good while.

For weddings, I wouldn’t bother with an 850 from what I’ve read, I think the 750 is still more than adequate. Maybe the 750’s replacement would be the logical step. Be an early adopter and help iron out the creases before I can afford one.
Full specs have pretty much been released. Nothing unexpected, got the Z6 which is a 24mp high speed (12fps) version, and the Z7 which is a high res version the same as the D850 (45.7mp) with a very respectable 9fps. Both have 5 -axis IBIS and I believe 90% frame AF coverage.

Obviously we’ll have to wait and see what the performance is like, and I’ve not seen any talk of weather sealing.

Full specs have pretty much been released. Nothing unexpected, got the Z6 which is a 24mp high speed (12fps) version, and the Z7 which is a high res version the same as the D850 (45.7mp) with a very respectable 9fps. Both have 5 -axis IBIS and I believe 90% frame AF coverage.

Obviously we’ll have to wait and see what the performance is like, and I’ve not seen any talk of weather sealing.

Is 9 fps not fast enough? Wow.

Yep, inclined to agree. I've had all of them at one time or another too. Would say the 1.8g is the sweet spot for cost vs. output. The 1.4g is largely the same IQ wise but with a little wider aperture available if needed but it's not amazing wide open and costs quite a lot more. The older ones are fine too but I think the g lenses are noticeably better. Only thing I would say, is that the 50mm 1.8g new price has crept up quite a bit recently. They may make much more sense secondhand, often go for around £100 on ebay.

£154 after cashback right now which is almost a good as the grey price https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Y1A...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004Y1AYAC

Single card slots, which is a deal breaker for me.

Price point and everything else looks good though, if they'd included dual slots, could've been an A9 rival.

http://www.rossharvey.com/reviews/nikon-z7-review
I don't know why, but the whole one slot thing actually annoys me a little bit. I mean, they pay someone or some people shed loads of money to make the final decision on the design of these things and yet they think it's a good idea for one slot :confused:

I’m so glad the launch is a little underwhelming, I haven’t got to dent the wedding budget!

I’m actually not that bothered about the mirrorless bandwagon, it will no doubt be the future when they do away with the mechanical shutter. But it will be interesting to see how the next generation of 7** and 8** series
cameras look, as I can’t see how they will exist alongside each other with minimal differences, the market won’t be large enough for Nikon to invest in both.

I’m so glad the launch is a little underwhelming, I haven’t got to dent the wedding budget!

I’m actually not that bothered about the mirrorless bandwagon, it will no doubt be the future when they do away with the mechanical shutter. But it will be interesting to see how the next generation of 7** and 8** series
cameras look, as I can’t see how they will exist alongside each other with minimal differences, the market won’t be large enough for Nikon to invest in both.

Yeah I feel the same about mirrorless :D:D

That’s cause you’re an old traditionalist [emoji3]

Seriously though, no one’s mentioned it yet, but does it look a bit crap to anyone else?
You’ve clearly not been on the Nikon mirrorless thread ;)

You’ve clearly not been on the Nikon mirrorless thread ;)

A bit, but clearly missed that. I’m away, so there’s far better things to be doing [emoji3]

Did note you say that you don’t use the function buttons? The top one I have set up for my quick menu/favourites list, very handy.

Back