Nikon D750 & D780

D750 is currently 899 brand new! Bargain and hard to resist especially after the mirrorless (semi) flop there’s nothing else on the horizon.

The D750 is at such a good price now. Im seriously considering upgrading to a full frame camera. I mainly use primes, keep it lightweight as I can.
Can anyone make some recommendation that would suit. Looking for value sharp lenses, probably look for 2nd hand ones.
I’d like to start doing landscapes.
Currently do more street photography
I’d like Improve my portraits
Any advice and steer is welcomed.

Want something smaller for just using more. Even with the 35mm I found the D750 just a bit clunky on holiday.

Options are keep D750 with the 70-200 for equestrian and get a small body such as Olympus, M50 etc or try the Sony again with some pancake lenses and get the 70-200 GM and a grip.

D7200/7500 maybe? Use your same lenses?

I had a d7000 for years and 35mm 1.8 I thought was great in low light, and when cleaned up nicely when for me on occasion there might have been a but too much noise. In some respect I still miss my d7000...it was way lighter and generally to my eye sharper out of the camera, my D750 is less forgiving of my imperfect technique!

Last edited:
The D750 is at such a good price now. Im seriously considering upgrading to a full frame camera. I mainly use primes, keep it lightweight as I can.
Can anyone make some recommendation that would suit. Looking for value sharp lenses, probably look for 2nd hand ones.
I can tell you that Tamron have a 16-35 f2.8-4 coming out in sept sometime, maybe worth a punt.
It`s small and lightweight so will be a welcome newcomer on the scene.

What focal length primes do you use?

I rarely share family pics, except of my little girl of course, but just back from a really good holiday with the greater family and there's a couple I shall. I well remember some famous tog saying that there's nothing more rewarding than documenting your own family and he wasn't wrong. Always attracted to the emotional element of people, here's my old man being completely himself. Whilst the first one would work well in mono, the point is that he's never been the most dapper dresser, the dire shorts and bright golf top is just him, complete with a gash on his head from running into a wall whilst playing with the kids. The last two are typically him playing up with my little girl. So, is there anything more rewarding?

44285113121_c73498e181_b.jpg

44236643172_5c5bbf8ab7_b.jpg

42476905460_21a3531925_b.jpg

44285108371_e6c2738011_b.jpg

And, babysitting is tiring work..

30417830148_16564591b5_b.jpg

I like a reasonable focal length something like
35 f2 or below
50 f1.8
I thinking about getting an 18mm probably have to be f2.8 and above get me started.

The 35/50/85 all 1.8 versions will cover most things, but if landscape is more your thing, then try and pick up a 20 1.8 or a flexible zoom.

35 f2 or below
50 f1.8
I thinking about getting an 18mm probably have to be f2.8 and above get me started.
The AF-S Nikon 35’s are very good, as are the AF-S 85’s. The 50mm f1.8g divides opinions. It does render very nice (imo) but it’s never going to win awards of being the sharpest lens wide open. I’m moving away from outright sharpness though and worrying more about the look, in which case the 50mm f1.8g is very nice. If you want absolute sharpness in a 50mm the Sigma art is hard to beat.

I have a IRIX 15 f2.4 Prime and it works well and its a fair price compared to Nikon.

35 f2 or below
50 f1.8

The 35mm f2 D I’m selling is about as small as primes get!

I rarely share family pics, except of my little girl of course, but just back from a really good holiday with the greater family and there's a couple I shall. I well remember some famous tog saying that there's nothing more rewarding than documenting your own family and he wasn't wrong. Always attracted to the emotional element of people, here's my old man being completely himself. Whilst the first one would work well in mono, the point is that he's never been the most dapper dresser, the dire shorts and bright golf top is just him, complete with a gash on his head from running into a wall whilst playing with the kids. The last two are typically him playing up with my little girl. So, is there anything more rewarding?

Always a good idea to take lots of photos of the family. My dad hated having his photograph taken and we have very few photos of him. When he passed away a couple of months ago we even struggled to find a photo for the order of service. Even the out of focus terrible photos my kids had taken of him on their phones have become very important to us.

Always a good idea to take lots of photos of the family. My dad hated having his photograph taken and we have very few photos of him. When he passed away a couple of months ago we even struggled to find a photo for the order of service. Even the out of focus terrible photos my kids had taken of him on their phones have become very important to us.

I haven’t taken a picture of him on his own for a few years. It’s easy to miss the bigger picture, so-to-speak.

2, 3 and 4 are really nice, that interaction thing with your little girl, really nice and worth the shot.
I do like the last one though.
Think he needs to get them legs in the sun a bit more

2, 3 and 4 are really nice, that interaction thing with your little girl, really nice and worth the shot.
I do like the last one though.
Think he needs to get them legs in the sun a bit more

Thanks Graham.

No sun for gingers ha! Joking aside, dads of the generation of getting burnt a little too much and had a cancerous patch of skin removed from his face last year, he’s on orders to be careful.

Great set mate.

Love the 2nd and last.

The AF-S Nikon 35’s are very good, as are the AF-S 85’s. The 50mm f1.8g divides opinions. It does render very nice (imo) but it’s never going to win awards of being the sharpest lens wide open. I’m moving away from outright sharpness though and worrying more about the look, in which case the 50mm f1.8g is very nice. If you want absolute sharpness in a 50mm the Sigma art is hard to beat.

50mm 1.8g has £45 cash back if ordered in next 2 days! Going to get myself another one as miss it!

Haven't had rain at the right time on a wedding day yet....thought Saturday was the day but I was wrong.

Love the effect that gives but what are your plans regarding protecting the speedlight from the elements? Does a simple sandwich bag or something do the trick?

I remember reading the Hotshoe Diaries years back and he always used sandwich bags to keep his flashes dry. If it’s good enough for Joe McNally it’s good enough for me :LOL:

I may have had some couples willing to do crazy things, including but not limited to climbing into a scrapyard cement mixer or onto 3 layers of hay bales but I’ve never had a couple willing to go out in the rain :LOL:

50mm 1.8g has £45 cash back if ordered in next 2 days! Going to get myself another one as miss it!
Going to order one off Amazon too. You have until Friday to be valid for nikon cashback I think

Wondering what might happen to prices after friday though as they've risen in price a bit recently

I was tracking a few on eBay and they have been going s/h for £125 ish or more. So new one at 199 with 45 cashback an ful warranty of course seems like a good price to me :)

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-FX-Lenses/Nikon-AF-S-50mm-f1.8-G-Lens

1.8d can be had for as little as £99 right now too, but having read and watched what seems like a million reviews I think 1.8g is still worth it.

reckon if I went with the 1.8d i'd be like....
View: https://youtu.be/QeDkGnyDv9o

Last edited:
Going to order one off Amazon too. You have until Friday to be valid for nikon cashback I think

Wondering what might happen to prices after friday though as they've risen in price a bit recently

I was tracking a few on eBay and they have been going s/h for £125 ish or more. So new one at 199 with 45 cashback an ful warranty of course seems like a good price to me :)

Think all Nikon lenses went up. It’s quite a significant cash back really!

I always end up going back to 50.

Thanks Kris, got a few ideas on how to make it better next time, also wouldn't have minded some rain for that shot :D

Are you guys just wishing for rain at peoples wedding then...
I see I see as long as you get a good picture it doesn't matter if the party is ruined... ;-)!

Are you guys just wishing for rain at peoples wedding then...
I see I see as long as you get a good picture it doesn't matter if the party is ruined... ;-)!

Rain doesn’t ruin a wedding, in fact it rained on this wedding but at the wrong time. Bare in mind that shot was probably 9.30PM so rain wouldn’t have been a major issue tbh

Love the effect that gives but what are your plans regarding protecting the speedlight from the elements? Does a simple sandwich bag or something do the trick?

Na just put it out and hope for the best in all honesty! I may cover it if needed. This time the flash was held by a guest behind them so they could’ve just crouched over :LOL:

I tried the A7iii again yesterday just to see how I felt 2nd time round (with the 28-70). Actually a pretty solid little kit lens but something so cheap.

As for the body - nope still too small and uncomfortable for me. The difference between the EVF on the A7Riii can be seen quite clearly. I actually think the one on the A7iii is quite bad to be honest. Makes a huge difference when shooting indoors. The Riii looks like a HD TV, the one in the standard iii was like switching back to standard definition.

It's a shame as feature wise its a great bit of kit, but got to be comfortable with what you are shooting with!

As for the Nikon Z - they have addressed the grip issue, and the EVF looks better but the rest of the features don’t seem to be any better than the D750 so right now, I have no reason to change!

Last edited:
I tried the A7iii again yesterday just to see how I felt 2nd time round (with the 28-70). Actually a pretty solid little kit lens but something so cheap.

As for the body - nope still too small and uncomfortable for me. The difference between the EVF on the A7Riii can be seen quite clearly. I actually think the one on the A7iii is quite bad to be honest. Makes a huge difference when shooting indoors. The Riii looks like a HD TV, the one in the standard iii was like switching back to standard definition.

It's a shame as feature wise its a great bit of kit, but got to be comfortable with what you are shooting with!

As for the Nikon Z - they have addressed the grip issue, and the EVF looks better but the rest of the features don’t seem to be any better than the D750 so right now, I have no reason to change!
The Z7's EVF resolution matches the A7riii so it should be similar in terms of clarity, however the refresh rate is more similar to the A7iii so we'll have to wait and see

The Z7's EVF resolution matches the A7riii so it should be similar in terms of clarity, however the refresh rate is more similar to the A7iii so we'll have to wait and see

Guess I was spoilt by trying the Riii first!!

I must admit seeing the change of exposure in the viewfinder was interesting, but not sure if its something you need in RAW?!

Guess I was spoilt by trying the Riii first!!

I must admit seeing the change of exposure in the viewfinder was interesting, but not sure if its something you need in RAW?!

That is my biggest draw to mirrorless. Getting your exposure bang on every time saves so much time in editing!

That is my biggest draw to mirrorless. Getting your exposure bang on every time saves so much time in editing!

True - are you waiting for the right one to come along?

Back