Nikon D750 & D780

I honestly didn't expect to like shooting with the A7 III as much as I do, I still hate EVFs, but I just don't use it, so it doesn't matter! :)

I’m currently not feeling the Sony as much as I wanted too. Maybe the A9 would be a different story, but I just don’t think the A73 is at its best for what I do.

I honestly didn't expect to like shooting with the A7 III as much as I do, I still hate EVFs, but I just don't use it, so it doesn't matter! :)

Different way of shooting. What’s the screen like in the sun? Do you like the feel of them? Haven’t touched latest version but thought the A72 felt awful in the hand.

I’m currently not feeling the Sony as much as I wanted too. Maybe the A9 would be a different story, but I just don’t think the A73 is at its best for what I do.

Why do you think the a9 would be any better?

Different way of shooting. What’s the screen like in the sun? Do you like the feel of them? Haven’t touched latest version but thought the A72 felt awful in the hand.

There's a bright sun setting which ramps the brightness up, was fine on our day at Legoland where it was pretty sunny. I'm sure there are times using the viewfinder will be necessary though.

The A73 feels pretty good in the hand, with the lenses I have on it, but the lenses are pretty meaty, so not sure if it'll feel the same with something more compact on it.

What exactly are you not feeling with the Sony?

The EVF response time, the EVF quality in low light, the grip, the rendering, the colours, the lack of pop in images, a few times it mis focused shots in burst mode for no reason.

Yeah yeah some is because I like to shoot in jpeg when it comes to equestrian, and judge me for that if you like!!

But I’m still giving it a try. Had another outing today to see what they come out like.

The EVF response time, the EVF quality in low light, the grip, the rendering, the colours, the lack of pop in images, a few times it mis focused shots in burst mode for no reason.

Yeah yeah some is because I like to shoot in jpeg when it comes to equestrian, and judge me for that if you like!!

But I’m still giving it a try. Had another outing today to see what they come out like.
The evf is better on the a7r3 and a9 for sure and if you shoot jpg then I can't help you on that buddy lol. I'd shoot raw and give that a go

The shots you've posted look perfectly fine to me, that last image in the other thread has plenty of pop.

I'm really disappointed with the front focussing issue on the 750 and my tamron 70-200 f2.8

I've set it at -16 and shooting portraits at 100mm and F5 to give myself plenty of margin for error and yet the back eye is still way off. I'll try again at -20 but the whole idea of this lens to use shallow dof and got a feeling even at -20 it's going to cause me issues.

Anyone else had similar issues with this combination ? Using single point focus af-S on front eye.

eyes.JPG

I'm really disappointed with the front focussing issue on the 750 and my tamron 70-200 f2.8

I've set it at -16 and shooting portraits at 100mm and F5 to give myself plenty of margin for error and yet the back eye is still way off. I'll try again at -20 but the whole idea of this lens to use shallow dof and got a feeling even at -20 it's going to cause me issues.

Anyone else had similar issues with this combination ? Using single point focus af-S on front eye.

View attachment 136226
Not with this lens but I the same problems with my Tamron 28-75, it was sent to Tamron was fixed and came back new, but I could not get my D750 to align using FOCAL.

Not with this lens but I the same problems with my Tamron 28-75, it was sent to Tamron was fixed and came back new, but I could not get my D750 to align using FOCAL.

Cheers - was that under warranty ? If not how much do they charge ?

Cheers - was that under warranty ? If not how much do they charge ?
No, I bought it used for about £130/140 and it cost about the same to get it looked at and it did come back looking like new buy I was not happy. So in the end I bought the Nikon 24-70 which works well without any adjustments.

View attachment 136226
I've found issues with fast glass for both Sigma and Tamron on the D750 tbh.

Well i suppose i could start focusing on the back eye to work around it but far from ideal.

Such a shame as it's a great combo when it works.

View attachment 136226

Is it accurate when using live view?

I've found issues with fast glass for both Sigma and Tamron on the D750 tbh.

I’ve had to adjust my Sigma 35 on both my D750 bodies, both required -6. It also needed doing on all the bodies I’ve ever used it on, all -6 too :LOL:

Think all my lenses required some adjustment tbf. Even the expensive Nikon stuff.

I did a combination of the printed chart at a 45 degree angle, then the chart that you print and stick flat. No idea what they’re called however both were free.

My Nikon lenses tended to be okay, 24-70 was perfect, as was the 85 1.4D and the 50mm 1.8D.

Weirdly, my old Sigma 70-200 is okay too, it just leaves more to imagination in other areas. It’s not a bad lens, just not as good as my others :)

I did a combination of the printed chart at a 45 degree angle, then the chart that you print and stick flat. No idea what they’re called however both were free.

My Nikon lenses tended to be okay, 24-70 was perfect, as was the 85 1.4D and the 50mm 1.8D.

Weirdly, my old Sigma 70-200 is okay too, it just leaves more to imagination in other areas. It’s not a bad lens, just not as good as my others :)
Sounds like you got a perfect camera there.

Must be lucky! Both D750 bodies are the same. Same results on 3x D700 bodies and a D3! Sigma 35 needed the same adjustment on all but the others are okay.

Every lens I’ve owned on two different bodies have needed some kind of fine tuning. I bought a copy of Reikan Focal and all is good now.

I’ve had to adjust my Sigma 35 on both my D750 bodies, both required -6. It also needed doing on all the bodies I’ve ever used it on, all -6 too :LOL:
I don’t mind if a lens needs a little MA to be honest, but I’ve had 3rd party lenses where +/-20 wasn’t enough or the centre cluster needed a large minus amount and the outer ones needed a large plus amount :facepalm:

I bought a copy of reikan focal
Might treat myself to the reikan focal software.

One thing that annoys me in the sigma dock is the calibration distances... like this....
Screen-Shot-2015-12-07-at-14.53.39.png

So you calibrate it where the red markers are.. why can't they just give the actual distance of where to calibrate...
like the 2nd marker is that 0.3689893839meters?
3rd is what 0.55859584843 meters?

:cautious:

Might treat myself to the reikan focal software.

One thing that annoys me in the sigma dock is the calibration distances... like this....
Screen-Shot-2015-12-07-at-14.53.39.png

So you calibrate it where the red markers are.. why can't they just give the actual distance of where to calibrate...
like the 2nd marker is that 0.3689893839meters?
3rd is what 0.55859584843 meters?

:cautious:
Erm 55.85 cm or 558 mm[emoji14]

Last edited:
These are awesome Kris, she’s definitely grown!

I wouldn't go as far as that mate. She's still a little 'un ha. Hadn't used those trousers for ages and SWMBO pointed out afterwards that they're 18-24 months - she's 3 in as many weeks' time

Back