Nikon D750 & D780

Really starting to lose patience with this camera :(

After the awful front focus issue on the 70-200 i can't get over how poor the Tamron 24-70 is as well. Yesterday was lucky enough to experience some incredible light in the lake district which should have produced stunning images.

On first look this seems ok but even without cropping you can clearly see what a smudged mess the right side of the picture is. This should be tack sharp edge to edge yet is miles off and not even at its widest (38mm / F11), using a D7200 + Sigma 17-50 my images were razor sharp edge to edge.

163854_DSC_9084.jpg

Yes these are not Nikon lenses but for a 'professional' body it's compatibility with 3rd party lenses seems appalling.

So both lenses i own for this camera have significant floors......great o_O

Last edited:

After the awful front focus issue on the 70-200 i can't get over how poor the Tamron 24-70 is as well. Yesterday was lucky enough to experience some incredible light in the lake district which should have produced stunning images.

On first look this seems ok but even without cropping you can clearly see what a smudged mess the right side of the picture is. This should be tack sharp edge to edge yet is miles off and not even at its widest (38mm / F11), using a D7200 + Sigma 17-50 my images were razor sharp edge to edge.

163854_DSC_9084.jpg

Yes these are not Nikon lenses but for a 'professional' body it's compatibility with 3rd party lenses seems appalling.

Does look soft in the edges.

What was your shutter speed and where about did you focus?

Not the camera, but clearly the lenses?

From my own experiences, I've had a couple of Tamrons and they've been very good. Had major issues with Sigma in the past (pre-Nikon) but bit the bullet with the 135 Art and it's perfect. Never had a problem with a Nikon lens, so, you pays your money and takes your chances. If they're still under warranty, send them back.

Was on a tripod so shutter shouldn't be a huge factor but was 1/500th. Will have focused on the reflection in the water about 1.3rd in.

Not the camera, but clearly the lenses?

From my own experiences, I've had a couple of Tamrons and they've been very good. Had major issues with Sigma in the past (pre-Nikon) but bit the bullet with the 135 Art and it's perfect. Never had a problem with a Nikon lens, so, you pays your money and takes your chances. If they're still under warranty, send them back.

Just seems very intolerant to third party lenses which as you can imagine when you only have the 2 is somewhat frustrating ! - For events i can live with soft edges but for landscapes / architecture forget it....

My previous two bodies 7100 / 7200 had no real issues with any lenses.

Was on a tripod so shutter shouldn't be a huge factor but was 1/500th. Will have focused on the reflection in the water about 1.3rd in.

Try some tests on the right hand side, ie. shoot a number plate on a tripod at F8 after focusing in LV. It may well be decentred, which will be covered by warranty.

I quite fancy a 70-200 and looked at the Tamron as cost wise they’re pretty good value. Might think differently now.

From what I've read there is quite a bit of copy variation with Tamrons. You might get a good one, so don't just rely OMO.
The other thing is when you spend big and buy a Z6 or Z7 it appears Tamrons are not compatible with the ZTZ adapter.

Woah, back up yer bus!

Why isn't it a case of "appalling compatibility of 3rd party lenses with a Professional body"? Surely the standard has been set by the Pro body?

The other thing is when you spend big and buy a Z6 or Z7 it appears Tamrons are not compatible with the ZTZ adapter.

Good point but when I spend big I'll probably go a totally different direction and have a Leica Q just for fun!

As others have said, you could get a good copy or a bad one. I have a Tamron 17-50 which I use with my D90 and it is very sharp, on the other hand I had issues with the Tamron 28-75, even after it had been to Tamron.

So if buying new make sure you test them thoroughly, not sure if I would buy one used again.

As others have said, you could get a good copy or a bad one. I have a Tamron 17-50 which I use with my D90 and it is very sharp, on the other hand I had issues with the Tamron 28-75, even after it had been to Tamron.

So if buying new make sure you test them thoroughly, not sure if I would buy one used again.

I bet there's even variation between bodies just to further muddy the waters....

163854_DSC_9084.jpg

Third party lenses will never be as good as the Nikon equivalents as Nikon won’t give any info to the third party manufacturers so they have to work out all the autofocus algorithms themselves

Thankfully Sony make all of the info available.

Only Tamron I really used was a 28-75. Was actually pretty decent, but build quality so poor. Then again after I sold it I went back to get another one and tried 3 copies before giving up!

Still baffles me why Nikon moved the zoom ring on the new 70-200. Been using the Sony 70-200 and it just feels better with the zoom closer to the camera.

Then again - the Tamron also has the zoom on teh outer ring. Guess they had their reasons!!

Au revoir.
You'll be back.
Enjoy your new toy.

Nah, game changer for me this mirrorless stuff. Never been happier shooting with it.

Might've stayed with Nikon if the Z6 had been a better offering for weddings, but by the time they've released a new one now, Sony will have taken another step ahead. Still don't have any bad words to say about the D750 though, still think it's the best value all-round DSLR for the money.

Nah, game changer for me this mirrorless stuff. Never been happier shooting with it.

Might've stayed with Nikon if the Z6 had been a better offering for weddings, but by the time they've released a new one now, Sony will have taken another step ahead. Still don't have any bad words to say about the D750 though, still think it's the best value all-round DSLR for the money.

True about the D750 - I still might stick with Nikon! Glad its working out for you though!

True about the D750 - I still might stick with Nikon! Glad its working out for you though!

For me it's the shooting through liveview more than anything to be honest, lets me get angles I couldn't before plus engage with my clients better rather than hide behind a camera.

All down to what's best for each individual, as opposed to which is the better camera.

For me it's the shooting through liveview more than anything to be honest, lets me get angles I couldn't before plus engage with my clients better rather than hide behind a camera.

All down to what's best for each individual, as opposed to which is the better camera.

Yep - can see why it would be of a great help in your situation! It has a lot of features I can see that make it ideal for weddings!

Dumb question, i was just about to buy the FoCal, is it worth getting the pro or just stick with the plus?

Also, does it come with a tether cable, or do i need to buy one separately?

Dumb question, i was just about to buy the FoCal, is it worth getting the pro or just stick with the plus?

Do you have any lenses over 400mm, if you do then you need pro otherwise the standard one is fine.

I just use the cable that came with the d750, as you just download and install focal from their site.

You might be able to order it as a kit from wex.

Those are most certainly very tangible benefits. AF in LV on the 750 is the weakest element, which I've been frustrated with many times.

Yeah and that was the thing that made me switch, pretty entirely. I still don't really like the EVF. But

Just stick with the plus

and it's just a download, so doesn't come with anything

Do you have any lenses over 400mm, if you do then you need pro otherwise the standard one is fine.

I just use the cable that came with the d750, as you just download and install focal from their site.

You might be able to order it as a kit from wex.
Oh, did it come with a cable, can't remember getting one, must be in the box still :D

Cheers i'll have a look tonight for the cable

25 Zeiss Batis F2, 35mm Sony Zeiss Distagon F1.4, 55mm Sony Zeiss F1.8, 85mm Sony G Master F1.4

You haven't messed about with that lot! You look committed for the long term.

Did you get a second body too. Just adding that lot up, ouch!

Last edited:
Back