Nikon D750 & D780

Haven't done any landscape stuff for absolute agessss so had an evening walk out and captured this.

12 shot, handheld panorama (35mm lens)

Alkborough Flats, Lincolnshire by mg photography, on Flickr

Really need to start practicing my handheld panorama skills, for the occasions when the focal length just isn't wide enough (those dramatic environmental portraits). Any ideas why i couldn't use the 'perspective' method when creating in lightroom. Only the spherical and cylindrical worked. I guess it's to do with the amount of shots i took, would it work if it was say 4-6 better?

Last edited:
Haven't done any landscape stuff for absolute agessss so had an evening walk out and captured this.

12 shot, handheld panorama (35mm lens)

Alkborough Flats, Lincolnshire by mg photography, on Flickr

Really need to start practicing my handheld panorama skills, for the occasions when the focal length just isn't wide enough (those dramatic environmental portraits). Any ideas why i couldn't use the 'perspective' method when creating in lightroom. Only the spherical and cylindrical worked. I guess it's to do with the amount of shots i took, would it work if it was say 4-6 better?
Cant help you there as i don't use LR anymore but for panoramic shots i use ICE, it's a windows program and works well.
Maybe you could give it a try.

Eeek!!! The body I had sent back for one of the 'issues' ages ago froze up on me today giving the dreaded Err message. Then the message went away and it would focus but not fire.

I tried switching on and off. I noticed the battery in the grip had run out, so I removed the grip. No joy. I tried a different lens. Nothing. Taking refuge from the wind in the car I had another play. Grip off. battery in body out and back in. Cured.

Put a fresh battery in the grip and reattached it. Normal service was resumed.

Back home I noticed some frames taken before the incident had dark sections of varying degrees at the bottom, but not all of them. Most perplexing.:thinking:

_7511565.jpg

Eeek!!! The body I had sent back for one of the 'issues' ages ago froze up on me today giving the dreaded Err message. Then the message went away and it would focus but not fire.

I tried switching on and off. I noticed the battery in the grip had run out, so I removed the grip. No joy. I tried a different lens. Nothing. Taking refuge from the wind in the car I had another play. Grip off. battery in body out and back in. Cured.

Back home I noticed some frames taken before the incident had dark sections of varying degrees at the bottom, but not all of them. Most perplexing.:thinking:

View attachment 137459
Sounds like it could be a shutter issue :(

View attachment 137459

Had EXACTLY the same issue yesterday with one of my D750's, maybe the cold makes the problem worse, some testing today indoors and the problem does appear, just not as bad. It's boxed up and on its way back to Nikon tomorrow.

This is the second shutter failure I've had with D750's, I've had four different cameras fail on me non total now, others were D-pad and AF failure. So far all had been replaced or repaired FOC, but I think I'm done with this camera now!

Had EXACTLY the same issue yesterday with one of my D750's, maybe the cold makes the problem worse, some testing today indoors and the problem does appear, just not as bad. It's boxed up and on its way back to Nikon tomorrow.

This is the second shutter failure I've had with D750's, I've had four different cameras fail on me non total now, others were D-pad and AF failure. So far all had been replaced or repaired FOC, but I think I'm done with this camera now!
Hmm. It was quite cold yesterday. But I'd been out in colder with it last winter. Used it today with no problems. (Touch wood...)

Hmm. It was quite cold yesterday. But I'd been out in colder with it last winter.

same here, is a couple of years old 100k+ clicks on it, fingers crossed for you that it goes away. Mine started to show signs a couple of weeks ago, but I though it was a sync issue with the flash being used OC at the time.

I've been out using mine with temps below zero with strong freezing winds without an issue.

Heres one from a few weeks ago, A local to me beach where I was testing out a 3 stop soft GND filter and my IRIX 15mm f2.4 lens.
I also have a super stopper 16 stops and a 10 stop filter, just waiting for a nice time to get out.

Irix lens with Irix 3 stop soft grad filter by Graham, on Flickr

Bit of a dawdle around the Black Country Museum today - light seemed to go from bright, brilliant sunshine to dark and gloomy about every 15 minutes or so!

Black and white seems to be the best option :D

A really nice feel to these, reminds me of shooting my old Canon AE-1 on Ilford XP2 (which I loved). Do you have your own preset for that black and white or do you do everything manually? :)

A really nice feel to these, reminds me of shooting my old Canon AE-1 on Ilford XP2 (which I loved). Do you have your own preset for that black and white or do you do everything manually? :)
Thanks. It’s my own BW preset I use. Just tweak it a bit when required. :)

You should sell em mate [emoji3]

Ssshhh ixnay on the selling-ay

:D

Only joking, they do look nice though! :D While we’re on the subject though, how does everyone do their black and white? I seem to have stumbled across a great colour one that converts pretty much straight into a nice black and white (for me anyway) just needs a contrast boost most of the time but that’s easily done :)

Can you use/shoot FX lenses on a DX sensor body I wonder ?

You can definitely shoot FX lenses on a DX sensor body. Only thing to be wary of is using D style lenses on bodies that don’t have in built motors for focussing :)

Thats lovely mate.

I’m looking forward to when she’s a bit older and we can do a proper shoot in this manner. There wasn’t much light around at all, and by the time I found some to shoot into, she was fed up. Had to clone out mum hiding in the bushes lol

Ssshhh ixnay on the selling-ay

[emoji1]

Only joking, they do look nice though! [emoji1] While we’re on the subject though, how does everyone do their black and white? I seem to have stumbled across a great colour one that converts pretty much straight into a nice black and white (for me anyway) just needs a contrast boost most of the time but that’s easily done :)

I guess I have 3 versions. Two are based on old film emulations and are LR based and then one for when I’m doing more detailed stuff then PS using a gradient as the base. But like all mono, I only use it for images that have the tonal range to suit. Also tweak quite a bit from the base. dodge and burn areas too.

Last edited:
I’m looking forward to when she’s a bit older and we can do a proper shoot in this manner. There wasn’t much light around at all, and by the time I found some to shoot into, she was fed up. Had to clone out mum hiding in the bushes lol
You can always borrow mine mate... 13 and a right little poser!

hey guys. Couple of quick questions hoping I can get some opinions on.

I currently have two D750's and shoot real estate, portrait and commercial work mostly.

I am thinking of changing one of them for the D850. Has anyone else made that change? How'd you find it?

Also what would you say is a reasonable price for a second hand D750?

The one I'm selling is about 18 months old and is currently with Nikon getting a new shutter due to the recall so it will be a zero shutter count and all clean.

thanks

Sammy

I currently have two D750's and shoot real estate, portrait and commercial work mostly.

I am thinking of changing one of them for the D850. Has anyone else made that change? How'd you find it?

The one I'm selling is about 18 months old and is currently with Nikon getting a new shutter due to the recall so it will be a zero shutter count and all clean.

thanks

Sammy
Pretty sure @snerkler changed from the d750 to d850

Also, i don't believe the shutter count is reset to 0, it'll probably still be the same as when you sent it.

Decided to faff around and match them. Kinda done manually so they're thereabouts. Possibly a bit too much red, but I'll look later with fresh eyes.

31758384318_ac48f7b914_b.jpg

31758384198_389ebf1422_b.jpg

31751630638_451b4188b3_b.jpg
These are nice m8, top stuff :)

Last edited:

thanks

Sammy

Pretty sure @snerkler changed from the d750 to d850

Also, i don't believe the shutter count is reset to 0, it'll probably still be the same as when you sent it.

I sure have made that change (y)

@sduk there's no doubt that the D850 is a better camera than the D750, but it's not a massive difference. When I changed from the APS-C Sony A77-II to the D750 I was blown away by the D750, not only in terms of functionality but also with the images I got from it. They had better colour, better pop, better depth and way less noise. I didn't get this same wow factor swapping from the D750 to the D850. That being said I don't regret the change, the reason for not getting the wow factor is that the D750 is so good it's difficult to be truly wowed after that IMO, at least currently.

The improvements of the D850 are small, but over all they do add up to a lot. I do actually prefer the colours and colour accuracy from the D850, the build is better, the detail/sharpness is crazy (combination of resolution and lack of AA filter), the extra resolution helps with cropping for wildlife, the illuminated buttons are useful, and the extra buffer size is really handy for me for sports. Oh and the viewfinder, it's noticeably bigger and nicer to use.

The negatives are the extra weight, file size (although I've not found this much of an issue), and noise handling isn't as good. That being said, I get useable images at ISO 12800 without needing much NR.

As for the shutter count, it shouldn't be reset (Nikon UK say that the shutter count is a reflection of the overall use not just shutter) but there have been a couple of cases where the shutter count has been reset, not sure why.

Back