Nikon D750 & D780

Not 100% anyway - was just bouncing figures around in my head!

Sorry to hear this mate, nothing worse than selling gear to help live. Plenty of us have been there. :oops: :$

Prices you've quoted don't look too far off.

What are we looking at for used prices now for decent condition gear? D750... £750? 70-200... £1000... 50mm.. £120 as a rough guess???

just sold off most of my kit and it was a struggle.. took over a month and was fairly lucky in the end. seems to be some just off loading at dirt cheap prices and others who just quote what mpb will give.plus not many buying.

I struggles to get £900 for my vr2 and it was as new, d750 had 12k and only just got £750 locally, 50 you are looking at £100

you don't even want to know what mpb quoted:eek:

my 85 is still up at half uk price new and still hundreds cheaper than grey with 0% interest

Last edited:
just sold off most of my kit and it was a struggle.. took over a month and was fairly lucky in the end. seems to be some just off loading at dirt cheap prices and others who just quote what mpb will give.plus not many buying.

I struggles to get £900 for my vr2 and it was as new, d750 had 12k and only just got £750 locally, 50 you are looking at £100

you don't even want to know what mpb quoted:eek:

my 85 is still up at half uk price new and still hundreds cheaper than get with 0% interest

Looking to buy, not sell!!

ahh you ditching the Sony? don't think its a better time to buy than now then, some bargains out there

Hopefully not, but will have to wait and see! Was just looking at the cost options!

That was a lucky find. I never even noticed it had come adrift... :rolleyes:

3KDXbw-w0sgDJZut6hph8gkZHOHLPN-_w2putdNlp73XGp2jZZWkSJYhauoAHZsXIQMKmaPaT8y3Am2s_hPUSc9PhElO_tDF1jdzrtmVWg7zGxRFZcypkfSv6WIxdgLJW6HxD6Cbc0ac1MFg-YiZc9qfLuTt2KhfUw-5po7GI3pSFt_bCBoykGQ63UfbSkIks-Cn4l-u2OsySFvXoPqYUKMnTklRE2PLBP-Y0lYhcpAP912hFofFRyboRiHuu-on3TIX-Exe5vfTE0aRzlxNACN5r4HLvoz2kC9fBZD-JWve7drDA7ziFD2sLHkNcLuU6XAXCZQuXeJMlxN-kijQYsgEvt3kGeyRcQsIsSlUvZnl5jmkqrr5APf4un2Zuv-035NtmsogwUL8alrUlE88uaMr44Ffjsr2MPRf3Q7E7Ge8sFcjen6FYGlvJ9fjSPtsqdXC8P3Zo2jA2hLHfuCtlcGddkVpB-ml5F1qNOMf9SlJMR5Cd7FWWdOULswTzmwQPhBaYljjxIjVZryAUdAtbQP9GSjWCb4u6M9w4z0N3LOManUm1Cc75pwlreWZw8Iv0I0TWj0g6IrTHFGDZWi2F1yygdxxGydEangu4Frcwx-ZEYeHJoDqrZ6ocybEeZzDXpd1Zfm5v4_gsFx-_6kiii4cUbZPWue8HCNQL7WjZGoRtq55FRPPIIciF5a7G2nWZwFjmkYBT0K9QW2gr5rNkrDspA=w1024-h684-no

I posted too soon.... :(

_7500639.jpg

I didn't even think of retracing my steps to find the eye cup in a busy auction mart I'd been roaming around at random all morning.

Amazingly, when I was almost ready for home I saw the it in a pool of 'liquid'. It shall be disinfected before I glue it back in place.

This does demostrate the power of having two cheap, and one genuine, spares at home though! :LOL:

I wonder if a wee dab with a glue gun on low heat setting could work to keep it attached? I've got one which cools very fast.

I wonder if a wee dab with a glue gun on low heat setting could work to keep it attached? I've got one which cools very fast.
I think I'll try that. It should easily 'crack' off if required.

That was a lucky find. I never even noticed it had come adrift... :rolleyes:

3KDXbw-w0sgDJZut6hph8gkZHOHLPN-_w2putdNlp73XGp2jZZWkSJYhauoAHZsXIQMKmaPaT8y3Am2s_hPUSc9PhElO_tDF1jdzrtmVWg7zGxRFZcypkfSv6WIxdgLJW6HxD6Cbc0ac1MFg-YiZc9qfLuTt2KhfUw-5po7GI3pSFt_bCBoykGQ63UfbSkIks-Cn4l-u2OsySFvXoPqYUKMnTklRE2PLBP-Y0lYhcpAP912hFofFRyboRiHuu-on3TIX-Exe5vfTE0aRzlxNACN5r4HLvoz2kC9fBZD-JWve7drDA7ziFD2sLHkNcLuU6XAXCZQuXeJMlxN-kijQYsgEvt3kGeyRcQsIsSlUvZnl5jmkqrr5APf4un2Zuv-035NtmsogwUL8alrUlE88uaMr44Ffjsr2MPRf3Q7E7Ge8sFcjen6FYGlvJ9fjSPtsqdXC8P3Zo2jA2hLHfuCtlcGddkVpB-ml5F1qNOMf9SlJMR5Cd7FWWdOULswTzmwQPhBaYljjxIjVZryAUdAtbQP9GSjWCb4u6M9w4z0N3LOManUm1Cc75pwlreWZw8Iv0I0TWj0g6IrTHFGDZWi2F1yygdxxGydEangu4Frcwx-ZEYeHJoDqrZ6ocybEeZzDXpd1Zfm5v4_gsFx-_6kiii4cUbZPWue8HCNQL7WjZGoRtq55FRPPIIciF5a7G2nWZwFjmkYBT0K9QW2gr5rNkrDspA=w1024-h684-no

There must be loads of those everywhere if you look hard enough!

Funnily enough the very first d750 I saw in the wild was when I was sat outside a hotel and a tour group walked past me to their coach and one one these bounced onto the pavement at my feet. The guy who’s camera is was told me that it was already the third time it had happened on that trip alone!

What did Nikon do differently with the d750? I don’t recall this being a big issue with any other Nikon with that style of eyepiece.

Funnily enough the very first d750 I saw in the wild was when I was sat outside a hotel and a tour group walked past me to their coach and one one these bounced onto the pavement at my feet. The guy who’s camera is was told me that it was already the third time it had happened on that trip alone!

What did Nikon do differently with the d750? I don’t recall this being a big issue with any other Nikon with that style of eyepiece.
The one on the D90 was a similar style and I never lost one of those. But then I'd only had one come adrift on the D750 before this week!

It started with the D600, maybe before. I've lost a few from my 600.

I think I'll try that. It should easily 'crack' off if required.

I got one a few weeks ago for a school project, less than a tenner including an extra pack of sticks. Wish I'd bought one sooner as I never realised how versatile and easier it is compared to liquid glue.

Grips?... I realised while trying to shoot marathon runners in portrait with my 70-200 2.8 it's a heavy setup at a not that comfortable or a stable angle, what grip options are there out there for the D750, which move the shutter button to a more practical location?

Obviously the MB-D16 which is still £130 - £200 ish preowned,

Ideally I want to pay less than that, increased fps isn't an issue, and extra battery space isn't either, it's will only really be occasional and situational use for button comfort. What options do I have?

Grips?... I realised while trying to shoot marathon runners in portrait with my 70-200 2.8 it's a heavy setup at a not that comfortable or a stable angle, what grip options are there out there for the D750, which move the shutter button to a more practical location?

Ideally I want to pay less than that, increased fps isn't an issue, and extra battery space isn't either, it's will only really be occasional and situational use for button comfort. What options do I have?

I used Meike. They’re ok.

I had the vertex one for my D750, worked flawlessly and far cheaper than the Nikon one.

Has anyone had problems with battery drain with aftermarket grips. I'm on the lookout for one as my little finger tends to slip under the grip and it feels uncomfortable.

I know there was a large thread over on DPreview about them draining batteries bu that was about 3/4 year ago.

Has anyone had problems with battery drain with aftermarket grips. I'm on the lookout for one as my little finger tends to slip under the grip and it feels uncomfortable.

I know there was a large thread over on DPreview about them draining batteries bu that was about 3/4 year ago.
I never had that with the Vertex.

Hi all,
Well I don`t get to take out the D750 as much as I should and as today there was some storms about inland I thought I would take the D750 out for a spin.
1st shot is the bay of Cannes with 2 small islands and 5 shots bracketed.
and the 2nd shot is of the impending storm inland and 7 shots bracketed.
I use Luminar HDR/Lum18 and Lum3 for my PP work now.
GRE_4245.jpg

GRE_4241.jpg

Still enjoying the D750 & I haven't lost an eyepiece in almost 6 weeks now :LOL:
Keep looking for excuses to upgrade/update it, but I really haven't found one as yet!

Ferrari
by Dave Young, on Flickr
Lovely car. What lens was this taken with, I like then look of it?
Due to job issues with teh other half we may need to free up some funds so if that happens I might be coming back to a D750.
What are we looking at for used prices now for decent condition gear? D750... £750? 70-200... £1000... 50mm.. £120 as a rough guess???
Sorry to hear that mate. I think the D750 and 'older' Nikon lenses are relative bargains nowadays, and I think prices will continue to fall as the Z series gains momentum. Hopefully you can pick up a bargain yourself if you need to. I dread to think how much I'll get for my 70-200mm f2.8 VRII if I ever sell it :(

Sorry to hear that mate. I think the D750 and 'older' Nikon lenses are relative bargains nowadays, and I think prices will continue to fall as the Z series gains momentum. Hopefully you can pick up a bargain yourself if you need to. I dread to think how much I'll get for my 70-200mm f2.8 VRII if I ever sell it :(

Still got my 70-200 Sony and borrowing a Sony A7iii at the moment. I bought an A7 on here but mate is using that as back up emergency camera while I use his so I’m ok at the moment!

I'll give you £50 for it

Last edited:
Thinking of picking up a more decent 50mm than the old non D Nikon lens I have.

Looked briefly at the Nikon 50mm 1.4 and the non Art Sigma 50mm 1.4. Anyone used either or both and thoughts on them.

Looked briefly at the Nikon 50mm 1.4 and the non Art Sigma 50mm 1.4. Anyone used either or both and thoughts on them.

The old sigma is great, way better than Nikon's 50s BUT QC is crap, you may get lucky first time but my advice is buy from a dealer so you can return if you need to.

I bought the Sigma 1.4 art earlier this week from LCE, thought it was a bargain at £349 and when it came it was like new, fully boxed with all the bits as well. Might be worth keeping an eye on their website for another. Considering the Nikon version is actually more than what I paid for the Art lens it was really a no brainer.

Advantage of the Sigma over the Nikon is that it can be updated and adjusted with the dock, it is extremely well built, super fast to acquire focus and practically silent, you have to really listen to actually hear anything.

I bought the Sigma 1.4 art earlier this week from LCE, thought it was a bargain at £349 and when it came it was like new, fully boxed with all the bits as well. Might be worth keeping an eye on their website for another. Considering the Nikon version is actually more than what I paid for the Art lens it was really a no brainer.

Advantage of the Sigma over the Nikon is that it can be updated and adjusted with the dock, it is extremely well built, super fast to acquire focus and practically silent, you have to really listen to actually hear anything.
That's a great price. Almost worth stretching a bit more to get to that quality.

I have the 35mm 1.4 ART so no how good they are. I do t use the dock I have Focal Reikan which works great.

Yeah, I think the Nottingham branch that sold me the lens might have undersold as most of the others were around the £400 mark. MPB were even dearer.

Had a quick wander round the Pride of Longbridge meeting on Saturday... Good turnout and plenty of nostalgia, with some really interesting cars.

Funnily enough used the D750 in Live View quite a bit, which isn't without compromise in terms of how good it is but worked OK...

Pride of Longbridge_011
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Pride of Longbridge_05
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Pride of Longbridge_035
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Pride of Longbridge_024
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Pride of Longbridge_025
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Pride of Longbridge_029
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Pride of Longbridge_030
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Pride of Longbridge_031
by Dave Young, on Flickr

Funnily enough used the D750 in Live View quite a bit, which isn't without compromise in terms of how good it is but worked OK...
I've been using the tilty screen and liveview quite a bit recently and it is a bit clunky. Face detect is good. But, alas, it doesn't detect sheep's faces. :giggle:

_7507169.jpg

_7517198.jpg

@wibbly great shots and nice processing. Was the processing in LR? Thank you

I've been using the tilty screen and liveview quite a bit recently and it is a bit clunky. Face detect is good. But, alas, it doesn't detect sheep's faces. :giggle:

Yeah, clunky is definitely the right word... but it does work if you have patience! Never tried face detect (or shooting sheep for that matter) :LOL:

@wibbly great shots and nice processing. Was the processing in LR? Thank you

Thanks dude, all done in LR.... don't use anything else to be honest.

Back