Nikon D750 & D780

Mine was something similar, think it 1340 including 2 memory cards from Panamox. Almost still the same price new now. Considering changing mine but don't know what to? Z6? D780? Or mine is due a new shutter as part of the recall, get a new shutter and keep it for another 3 years?
I would get a new shutter, they will probably give it a good service whilst there, so basically a pretty much new camera, I don't think the 780 is a £1000 better camera at all.

I would get a new shutter, they will probably give it a good service whilst there, so basically a pretty much new camera, I don't think the 780 is a £1000 better camera at all.

I'm mostly of that opinion too, but i am temped by mirrorless for the silent shooting, i'm shooting lots of wild birds of prey and kingfishers up close and it is the noise that draws most attention to me.

Does anyone have a protector for the rear LCD screen fitted? If so, which one do you have?

I'm a little concerned that the pop out screen is going to be more susceptible to damage.

I have a GGS Lamar one, bought from amazon but cannot find a link to it on amazon.

Does anyone have a protector for the rear LCD screen fitted? If so, which one do you have?

I'm a little concerned that the pop out screen is going to be more susceptible to damage.
I gave up on screen protectors after I broke two!

Not had them on my D750s and the screens look OK after four and a half years of mistreatment.

I have a stick on screen protector to prevent small scrathes; five years of abuse with my camera and the rear screen hasn't been damaged.

That's what I did over the summer; full clean, new shutter and the rubbers replaced under the shutter recall. Camera is good for another five years tbh,

Last edited:
Anyone using a 256gb card ???

I'm toying with the idea of doubling my back-up 2nd card slot to 256gb, especially as I have quite a few close together Weddings coming up and I tend not to delete them from the camera's 2nd card until delivery of edited images has taken place

Just tried to buy some from MyMemory but they say the D750 doesn't take 256gb cards

Cheers

Dave

Anyone using a 256gb card ???

I'm toying with the idea of doubling my back-up 2nd card slot to 256gb, especially as I have quite a few close together Weddings coming up and I tend not to delete them from the camera's 2nd card until delivery of edited images has taken place

Just tried to buy some from MyMemory but they say the D750 doesn't take 256gb cards

Cheers

Dave
Yeah I think 128 GB is the Max, just buy 2-3 64GB and replace the card after each wedding

Yeah I think 128 GB is the Max, just buy 2-3 64GB and replace the card after each wedding

I don't shoot enough images for that lol - I generally get 3 on a 64gb card, and my 2nd slot is already a 128gb, just wanted to push it a bit

Oddly, I've since seen that the Manual actually says it can take a Lexar 256gb card -weird eh

Dave

Definitely one of the best cameras ever released, shame they didnt update it sooner... have thousands of keepers from the D750. Good times.

A real ''Goldilocks' camera. I'm sticking with mine until they die or the D780 drops to a price I think is worth paying to get the improved live-view - the only feature I find less than 'good enough' on the D750.

A real ''Goldilocks' camera. I'm sticking with mine until they die or the D780 drops to a price I think is worth paying to get the improved live-view - the only feature I find less than 'good enough' on the D750.

Agreed, but imo they shouldve given it the newer D850/D500 AF system and Z6 LV for £1500. A last stand for F mount till the Z sales pick up.

Agreed, but imo they shouldve given it the newer D850/D500 AF system and Z6 LV for £1500. A last stand for F mount till the Z sales pick up.
I think the price is just a sign of the way camera prices are going to go as the market declines. The days of great bang for your buck could be over. Alas.

Last edited:
I think the porice is just a sign of the way camera prices are going to go as the market declines. The days of great bang for your buck could be over. Alas.

:agree: People think phones can do what real cameras can, because they are viewing and ignoring deficiencies. So much for quality.

Last edited:
It'll go down as one of those cameras that just got everything right. My photography has improved so much since I purchased one.
You can't say that very often (y)

Had to move Fire Club to a drier place - The Innocent Railway
I'm constantly pleased with how fast and accurately the 750 focuses in poor or dreadful light.
Fire Club by Ken Dunton, on Flickr

Still a good low light camera, beats some of the current crop in the shops at the moment with so called newer advanced sensors.

I finally found some time yesterday to get out of the office at lunchtime a take a stroll around part of the marina in Portishead. Although there wasn't any rain it was blowing a hoolie and simply standing still to take some of the pictures was a challenge. Anyway, here are a couple of the images which are pretty much SOOC with minimal editing.

This is also the first time I have been able to couple the D750 and 24-120 f/4 since the lens went off to Nikon for repair - the VR stopped working if the zoom was taken beyond 50mm.

Last edited:
Is anyone using a non-Nikon battery grip with the D750? There are so many about I was hoping for some recommendations.

Is anyone using a non-Nikon battery grip with the D750? There are so many about I was hoping for some recommendations.
I had the vertex grip for mine, worked flawlessly for me.

I used to have a grip on mine but to be honest I could not get away with it on the camera, felt very unwieldy and cumbersome especially in portrait mode, I actually sold it for a profit so no loss to me.

I had grips on my D300, D600 and D610 as I find it easier to hold the camera and use BBF than with my right arm bent upwards and ob=ver the top of the body to reach the buttons. The D800 was heavy enough without the added weight of a grip but the D750 is light enough that I think I would benefit from adding it.

Naturally, I would prefer the Nikon but my wallet would prefer one of the third party ones :) I'm just not sure which one to go for.

@snerkler - thanks for the recommendation, I will take a look at it (y)

After using the D750 (2 of) as my pro camera for nearly 3 years I was taken with some of the features & opportunities afforded by mirrorless cameras - specifically Fuji

And today I finally made my mind up and bought...

A new D750 lol - so that's me still using them for another 2 years or so :)

Oh and my oldest one can finally go back for the free shutter replacement !!!

Dave

Hi all,
I'm in oulu, Finland and having a blast, it's cold here atm (-12 to -15) in the night but with good clothing it's all good.
Here's some of my favs so far. Phone app PP'd. IMG_20200227_185659_252-01.jpegIMG_20200227_172856.jpegIMG_20200227_165150.jpegIMG_20200227_164902.jpegIMG_20200227_165234.jpeg

After using the D750 (2 of) as my pro camera for nearly 3 years I was taken with some of the features & opportunities afforded by mirrorless cameras - specifically Fuji

And today I finally made my mind up and bought...

A new D750 lol - so that's me still using them for another 2 years or so :)

Oh and my oldest one can finally go back for the free shutter replacement !!!

Dave

Not much not to like, esp at the price point. Always been excellent vfm.

Has anybody ever played around with custom colour profiles in their camera? I'm trying to streamline my photography, hopefully to an end where I don't have to sit in front of a computer to edit, it may be a pipedream but I'm certainly trying :LOL: I've managed to amend a B&W one I found online to one I really like but the colour ones are eluding me a little. There aren't a great number of amendments you can make which means there isn't too much of a shift from the standard presets but I think I'm getting there with at least 1 colour profile.

Here are a couple of examples. I love the B&W one, I think I only *like* the colour one at the moment, but I've only managed to sort that one today so maybe I just need more time with it! The black and white photo here is one from last year, but using the Capture NX software you can apply camera presets to other shots too which is nice!

Colour testing by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Jade by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Never tried them, I only use RAW.
If I want an image in B&W I use the Nik collection once I've done all the other adjustments in Lightroom.

Back