Nikon D750 & D780

I'm curious: how much are they cropped?

Hmm, the original NEF file is 6016x4016 which is cropped:
1) 3968x2649 then reduced to 1200x800 to show here. (450mm / ISO-4000 / f6.0 / 1/250)
2) 2552x2552 then reduced to 1200x1200 to show here. (600mm / ISO-3000 / f6.3 / 1.250)
3) 3534x2359 then reduced to 1200x800 to show here. (600mm /ISO-2800 / f6.3 / 1/250)

Does that answer your question?

Here is the full frame of the first image resized but not cropped (or edited).
DSC_3917.jpg

Likewise, Kev, aside from shooting at home I've not been anywhere with the camera since early October. We are quite lucky with the location of our bungalow though as at the back is a public footpath bordered by plenty of trees with allotments on the other side so we see larger birds like Pigeon, Magpie, Crow and Jackdaw plus foxes and squirrels aplenty. The garden is too well fenced off for the foxes to come in but the squirrels ... well they treat it like their own dining room :) They have gotten so used to us that they don't run away when we go into the garden and George will come up very close (less than a foot) but won't quite take food from my hand.

At the front is a small, quiet cul-de-sac with a tree in the lawn. We have several feeders in the tree and keep them well stocked up to attract the smaller birds. The birds are messy eaters and drop loads of feed onto the floor, which in turn attracts blackbirds, pigeons and doves but means that we also get rats occasionally.

I have seen the squirrels come along our garden fence, hop onto the roof of the bungalow, over the ridge and then leap off the roof into the tree in the front. They are impressive athletes :)

Nice shot that. I quite like the idea of one of those 150 - 600 lenses for a bit more reach.

In an idle moment, I sent an image to one of those shutter count websites the other day. Just over 47000! More than twice what I estimated! Has anyone got experience of how long a D750 shutter goes for typically?

Nice shot that. I quite like the idea of one of those 150 - 600 lenses for a bit more reach.

In an idle moment, I sent an image to one of those shutter count websites the other day. Just over 47000! More than twice what I estimated! Has anyone got experience of how long a D750 shutter goes for typically?

Looking at this site they say 150k, but no guarantee.

It’s pot luck with 750s I think. Mine has around 67k+ and is needing a shutter replacement as it will ”freeze” open on the first shot if it hasn’t been used for a while or after you change lenses. Press the shutter again to close it and it works perfectly thereafter. Having said that, I just finished using it after not using it for many weeks and it was fine.

Last edited:
It’s pot luck with 750s I think. Mine has around 67k+ and is needing a shutter replacement as it will ”freeze” open on the first shot if it hasn’t been used for a while or after you change lenses. Press the shutter again to close it and it works perfectly thereafter. Having said that, I just finished using it after not using it for many weeks and it was fine.

I got that as well with less than 30k on the shutter, but it only happened at 1/4000 shutter which I think is a known issue?

Just checked my shutter count - 60,953 - of which I have taken around 4,500 since buting it almost exactly one year ago. Prior to my ownership it belonged to Nikon School and was fully serviced before being sold off via LCE.

Here's hoping it'll last a while yet 'cos I have no plans to change it :)

Hi Lee, I used to have the older 150-500 back in the day but wasn't using it enough so sold it. Now that I'm taking images just for me and getting interested in nature and wildlife I thought I would give it a go again. I ruled out the Sport version of the lens due to its weight and price and can't say I regret the decision - it's plenty sharp enough for me :)

Before this lens I had the Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR and even in the garden that was a bit short on reach with the D750.

Last edited:
I got that as well with less than 30k on the shutter, but it only happened at 1/4000 shutter which I think is a known issue?

Sounds like a bit of pot luck indeed on the shutter then! I hope mine continues as the D750 is a keeper for me. Very happy with it. Mine went back to Park Cameras very early on when the mirror stayed up on high shutter speeds. It's been fine ever since.

Hi Lee, I used to have the older 150-500 back in the day but wasn't using it enough so sold it. Now that I'm taking images just for me and getting interested in nature and wildlife I thought I would give it a go again. I ruled out the Sport version of the lens due to its weight and price and can't say I regret the decision - it's plenty sharp enough for me :)

Before this lens I had the Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR and even in the garden that was a bit short on reach with the D750.

I use an older (non PF) 300f4 with a 1.4TC. It's a good, sharp combo but I could do with the extra reach too. Having VR would be a good thing as well.

Here's a "funny"

My newest D750 suddenly stopped focusing during a Wedding in December, I lost a bit of Groom Prep but no big deal

I sent it off to Nikon to arrive there by 5th Jan, and shortly thereafter received the usual - awaiting a technician to assess - and a repair quote

2 weeks later I received a message to say that... it's now being sent to somewhere in Europe for a technician and they will be in touch for a quote sometime thereafter !!!

WTF is that all about ??? Are we Brits really trained that bad ???

Dave

Whenever I have had a problem witn my cameras or lenses - which thankfully has been a rare occurrence - I have used the Kingston address and never had any issues with their speed.

I did notice that when they returned my 24-120/f4 lens in Feb 2020 it didn't come from London, but I didn't take much notice of where it had been sent from. I was just pleased to have it back :)

@ sep9001 : I see you have several similar images on your Flickr stream and was wondering if you have any tips for someone about to embark on a project to photograph a couple of hundred model cars for a neighbour? He is in his 80's and thinking about selling his car collection so I said I would photograph them for him to show to dealers.

As I have a light tent (with different colour removable interiors), some reflectors and two Nikon speedlights I'm planning to use artificial light. I thought I might add light stands and shoot through umbrellas. Is there anything else I might need?

The cars (and a few airplanes) are all in pristine condition and in their original boxes so he might make a few bob and I'd like to show them off in their best light.

Hi @Bristolian,

What size are the cars/models? The ones I have are all 1/18 so not the small dinky ones. In terms of light you have more than enough, a shoot through umbrella or soft box will help too.

If they are small I think the best option would be to take the photo inside the lightbox, and may be with a macro lens to show the details.

Thank you

Edit:

This site has some nice information too:

Last edited:
Here's a "funny"

My newest D750 suddenly stopped focusing during a Wedding in December, I lost a bit of Groom Prep but no big deal

I sent it off to Nikon to arrive there by 5th Jan, and shortly thereafter received the usual - awaiting a technician to assess - and a repair quote

2 weeks later I received a message to say that... it's now being sent to somewhere in Europe for a technician and they will be in touch for a quote sometime thereafter !!!

WTF is that all about ??? Are we Brits really trained that bad ???

Dave

My older brother sent his 24-70 f2.8 to Nikon for repair a few months ago (ongoing dispute hence the delay), he has now found out it’s been sent to Japan for repair after originally being told it was just being don’t by a third party on behalf of Nikon. No idea why, probably something to do with parts and brexit I would guess but I also wouldn’t be surprised if covid has played a part too

Hi @Bristolian,

What size are the cars/models? The ones I have are all 1/18 so not the small dinky ones. In terms of light you have more than enough, a shoot through umbrella or soft box will help too.

If they are small I think the best option would be to take the photo inside the lightbox, and may be with a macro lens to show the details.

Thank you

Edit:

This site has some nice information too:

They vary in size from Matchbox to 1/18 scale. The airplanes are quite big too.

Thanks for the link I will make soem time to read that thie evening. I was looking for an excuse to buy a macro lens :)

Your assistance is much appreciated :)

They vary in size from Matchbox to 1/18 scale. The airplanes are quite big too.

Thanks for the link I will make soem time to read that thie evening. I was looking for an excuse to buy a macro lens :)

Your assistance is much appreciated :)

No problems. Over the last month I have also been looking for a macro lens, but not sure I would use it much.

Check out the sigma 105 f2.8 macro, you want the newer dg is version.

But try with what you have and see how you get on, also worth getting some black/shiny base/Perspex to get a nicer look.

No problems. Over the last month I have also been looking for a macro lens, but not sure I would use it much.

Check out the sigma 105 f2.8 macro, you want the newer dg is version.

But try with what you have and see how you get on, also worth getting some black/shiny base/Perspex to get a nicer look.

I have the same problem in not knowing if I would really make use of a macro lens. My 24-120 f/4 is pretty sharp and these images don't need to be compatition standard so I will probably go with that.

Fortunately, I used to work for a plastics distributor so I know what to ask for ... and where to ask beg some off-cuts :)

I have the same problem in not knowing if I would really make use of a macro lens. My 24-120 f/4 is pretty sharp and these images don't need to be compatition standard so I will probably go with that.

Fortunately, I used to work for a plastics distributor so I know what to ask for ... and where to ask beg some off-cuts :)
Nice, should be a good task to do in doors and keep busy.

Please share the picture on the thread.

Thank you

I'm working through this lockdown - as I have since the middle of March last year - but retirement is looming at the end of March so I will get into it then.

For sure, I will post some of the images on here :)

Had a new visitor to the garden this morning ... a Jay. Never seen one around here before but hopefully he (or she) will be back again.
Jay_001.jpg
I didn't quite get the eye tack sharp but was worried I wouldn't get a shot at all if I changed the focal point.
Next time it'll be better :)

Afternoon All,

May I please ask what tripods you are using with your d750 and the longer lenses?

I have a red snapper one which I use with my d750 and the 70-200 2.8 and could feel the legs flexing, and the tripod it self is also heavy, so looking for a mid range CF tripod.

Thank you

Afternoon All,

May I please ask what tripods you are using with your d750 and the longer lenses?

I have a red snapper one which I use with my d750 and the 70-200 2.8 and could feel the legs flexing, and the tripod it self is also heavy, so looking for a mid range CF tripod.

Thank you

Over the years I have had a number of tripods. The best was a Manfrotto 055 but it was flippin' heavy. For the past few years I have been using a Benro Travel Angel which is advertised as (you guessed it) a travel tripod. This means it's a bit shorter, folds up quite small and is nice and light. The downside is that it's not the sturdiest thing on three legs but if you hang a bag or something underneath it's good enough.

The tripod came with a Benro branded ball head which is good for lenses up to about 300mm, including the rather heavy Mk1 version of the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8, but when using the long lens I swap that for a Neewer gimbal head. I find this is a good bit of kit at a reasonable price but you need to be prepared to take it apart and re-lubricate it or the controls are on-off rather than progressive. One of the Travel Angel's features that I really like is I being able to unscrew one of the tripod legs to use as a monopod and both the ball head and gimbal fit onto that as well.

Over the years I have had a number of tripods. The best was a Manfrotto 055 but it was flippin' heavy. For the past few years I have been using a Benro Travel Angel which is advertised as (you guessed it) a travel tripod. This means it's a bit shorter, folds up quite small and is nice and light. The downside is that it's not the sturdiest thing on three legs but if you hang a bag or something underneath it's good enough.

The tripod came with a Benro branded ball head which is good for lenses up to about 300mm, including the rather heavy Mk1 version of the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8, but when using the long lens I swap that for a Neewer gimbal head. I find this is a good bit of kit at a reasonable price but you need to be prepared to take it apart and re-lubricate it or the controls are on-off rather than progressive. One of the Travel Angel's features that I really like is I being able to unscrew one of the tripod legs to use as a monopod and both the ball head and gimbal fit onto that as well.
Thank you Steve, will check the tripod out. I do like the vanguard range, but not sure if the will be steady enough for the camera and 70-200.

Evening all.

First ever picture of the moon that I have taken.

Snow_Moon by SEP9001, on Flickr

Thank you

Sold my D750 yesterday. Sad day [emoji22] but it wasn't getting used.

Sold my D750 yesterday. Sad day [emoji22] but it wasn't getting used.
Is that because you have moved to mirrorless?[emoji12]

Is that because you have moved to mirrorless?[emoji12]
Yes mate, Z6 now but still got 7 F lens and now have 2 Z (s) Lens.

Back