Nikon D750 & D780

Yes mate, Z6 now but still got 7 F lens and now have 2 Z (s) Lens.
Nice, it is a change I will make one day but am going to stick with the 750 for now.

I keep looking at mirrorless but just can't justify the cost of moving from the D750, plus I really like this camera - it's the first body that I feel totally at home with since the D300 and I wish I still had that too.

Yeah, I know, I'm a dinosaur :)

I keep looking at mirrorless but just can't justify the cost of moving from the D750, plus I really like this camera - it's the first body that I feel totally at home with since the D300 and I wish I still had that too.

Yeah, I know, I'm a dinosaur :)

Cost me about £1,800 to move from the D750 to the A9 (includes lenses respectively). I still believe that the D750 is probably one of the best cameras you can get considering the used value. But the 1/4000 error was annoying, despite only requiring a simple press of the shutter to overcome and the size/weight was something I wanted to address.

I found the D750 AF to be excellent and very reliable. I was worried about this, but the A9 AF is scary good. It took me a long time decide to move.

I don't baulk at the cost but unless a new camera system is going to provide me with features that a) the D750 doesn't have, and b) I actually need then to my mind it's not justified expendature. I'm not a kit freak - witness my 1972 Royal Enfield, 1999 Land Rover Discovery and 2009 Mercedes C Class (not to forget the 1956 Mk 1 wife :))

I agree, the auto focus on the D750 is very good, certainly better than the D600/610 that I had previously, but it's not all about performance for me. How the camera handles and the placement of buttons and switches are equally important - the mirrorless bodies I have handled to date just don't feel right.

I'm sure the A9 is a great camera - it certainly gets good reviews and is well respected on here - but I don't see it living in my bag anytime in the future :)

I don't baulk at the cost but unless a new camera system is going to provide me with features that a) the D750 doesn't have, and b) I actually need then to my mind it's not justified expendature.
The only improvement I'd welcome in my D750 is better liveview focusing. If I ever decide it's a necessity I'll go for a D780 as mirrorless cameras offer me nothing else I'm looking for. I've had four Panasonic and one Fuji mirrorless so that isn't blind prejudice I simply don't see the 'advantages' people rave about as being advantages for me. At my age either of these cameras are likely to see me out!

Video was also an important reason for me shifting, in particular the video AF. But that's also a personal requirement and there's plenty of choice for that. The D780 looks interesting and a worthy update of the D750.

I agree with the comments about the D780 - it is the natural replacement for the D750. I could be tempted by one of those but only if something were to happen to the 750 that made it uneconomical to have repaired.

Oddly enough, I had my heart in my mouth this morning as when I put the battery in I got the dreaded Err code in the top display. The mirror was stuck in the up position. I think I switched the camera off yesterday when it was in video mode - not sure if that would explain it. Anyway with a gentle bit of persuasion it popped back closed and is working fine again. PHEW!!

I think after 2 years, i will buy a D750 again.
I've had a panasonic GX9 since then and it does all i want BUT i miss the sigma 150-600 and the iso capability of the nikon.

I might buy another lens, what do you all think of the 35mm 1.8G it seem crazy cheap, any good?

I might buy another lens, what do you all think of the 35mm 1.8G it seem crazy cheap, any good?
The very cheap DX version almost works on FX, the FX version is not what I'd call crazy cheap at over three times the price.

The very cheap DX version almost works on FX, the FX version is not what I'd call crazy cheap at over three times the price.

Good point, i forgot how the nikon naming work,
There is a DX 1.8G "crazy cheap" and a FX 1.8G which is 3x "crazy cheap". I need to be careful.

Anyway i've bought a 150-600 in the classify just moments ago. So I will need to buy a camera for it!
I've missed my D750 it's a great camera.

Last edited:
Anyway i've bought a 150-600 in the classify just moments ago. So I will need to buy a camera for it!
:LOL:

The FX 35mm is a nice lens. Others will disagree but the old 35mm f2 is good too, smaller and can be had cheaper, but the 1.8G focuses faster.

The ONLY reason I sold my D750 ( and a first gen A7 ) and got a Z6 was to be able to use my contax/yashica MF lenses and FX lenses on one body. The D750 is the best camera I have owned apart from the D500.

There is nothing wrong at all with the Z6 and I found the native lenses are very very good if expensive but I still prefer a DSLR and OVF which is why I keep my D500.

PS I don't do video.

The ONLY reason I sold my D750 ( and a first gen A7 ) and got a Z6 was to be able to use my contax/yashica MF lenses and FX lenses on one body. The D750 is the best camera I have owned apart from the D500.

There is nothing wrong at all with the Z6 and I found the native lenses are very very good if expensive but I still prefer a DSLR and OVF which is why I keep my D500.

PS I don't do video.

Do you think the D500 is better that D750 for wildlife?
What about iso performance. I was always blown away with the D750, i've had shot at iso 10000 that were pretty good!

Do you think the D500 is better that D750 for wildlife?
What about iso performance. I was always blown away with the D750, i've had shot at iso 10000 that were pretty good!

Hi
Yes the crop factor is the key for me also the AF system is a bit faster than the D750 (and miles ahead of the Z’s so far)

If you don’t need the crop factor then the d750 is absolutely fine for wildlife.

You have 1 stop advantage on a FF of course but my experience is that the noise profile from the d500 is quite benign - little colour noise for example - and with Topaz AI or deep prime in photolab 4 you can recover some detail.

The AF coverage is wider in the VF than in the D750 but that never bothered me - neither did the AA filter in the d750 - never noticed an effect.

In an ideal world ( with money trees ) I would go for the d850 - does absolutely everything

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but i'm going to ask so old question asked a million times before but reading 917 pages takes a while!

Between a D750 and a D810 i cannot see much difference in price.
How do both compare?

Hi
Yes the crop factor is the key for me also the AF system is a bit faster than the D750 (and miles ahead of the Z’s so far)

If you don’t need the crop factor then the d750 is absolutely fine for wildlife.

You have 1 stop advantage on a FF of course but my experience is that the noise profile from the d500 is quite benign - little colour noise for example - and with Topaz AI or deep prime in photolab 4 you can recover some detail.

The AF coverage is wider in the VF than in the D750 but that never bothered me - neither did the AA filter in the d750 - never noticed an effect.

In an ideal world ( with money trees ) I would go for the d850 - does absolutely everything

That is not helping D500, D750, D810 are all very close in pricing.
It will mainly be for wildlife with a sigma 150-600 C.

That is not helping D500, D750, D810 are all very close in pricing.
It will mainly be for wildlife with a sigma 150-600 C.

I was quite clear: do you need the crop factor ( of 1.5 and so the extra “reach” that you get with long teles )

- or not ?

It’s your choice depending on what you want to shoot and therefore what effective focal length you need

I was quite clear: do you need the crop factor ( of 1.5 and so the extra “reach” that you get with long teles )

- or not ?

It’s your choice depending on what you want to shoot and therefore what effective focal length you need

As I'm sure you know extra reach is always good for wildlife. But when I had a D750 I absolutely loved the file that came out. I always think a crop sensor even with more reach will disappoint me :-(. I think the only way is to try a D500 by myself.

The prices of the D750 on ebay are really high for a low shutter count one. Look to be in the £800-£850?
I'm nearly thinking to go for a D780 for £1385, it a step further up in price but you get a much newer camera and 3 years warranty.

The prices of the D750 on ebay are really high for a low shutter count one. Look to be in the £800-£850?
I'm nearly thinking to go for a D780 for £1385, it a step further up in price but you get a much newer camera and 3 years warranty.
Not sure why prices are going up, I would have thought people will be moving to mirrorless.[emoji45]

Just checked other second hand dealers who either have no stock, apart from a few at MPB and one at LCE with over 100k shutter count.

Not sure why prices are going up, I would have thought people will be moving to mirrorless.[emoji45]

Just checked other second hand dealers who either have no stock, apart from a few at MPB and one at LCE with over 100k shutter count.

I sold mine two years ago and It looks like the price have gone up. Actually I bought my old one in near new condtion for £900 including delivery in january 2016 on this forum...
It seem silly to pay £800 for the same tech today.

I recently sold mine which had less than 30k actuations for £400. But it was to my wife's uncle and whilst I could have got considerably more, WEX were offering almost £600, but I only paid just over £500 for it (from WEX ironically! lol) about a year and a bit before with a ridiculously low shutter count (I think the recall had just been done on it and they messed up the pricing), so it wouldn't have felt right to profiteer from it. That'll balance out my moral compass after using Panamoz :D

I also sold him my Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 for £400 at the same time. I was offered about £480 by WEX. So I lost a bit, but it was a nice easy sale with no postage or problems (I've had an issue in the past). Great camera though, still miss it, although I don't miss that 1/4000 shutter error!

I sold mine two years ago and It looks like the price have gone up. Actually I bought my old one in near new condtion for £900 including delivery in january 2016 on this forum...
It seem silly to pay £800 for the same tech today.

Yep agree. Just checked and I bought my one in Sept 2016 and it was only a few months old or may have been a few weeks and I paid 1K. Having been thinking about the z6ii but for now I am sticking with my D750. Have just purchased Capture One Pro (Nikon) and am enjoying editing some of my old photos. Just need to get out and use the camera more.:)

I recently sold mine which had less than 30k actuations for £400. But it was to my wife's uncle and whilst I could have got considerably more, WEX were offering almost £600, but I only paid just over £500 for it (from WEX ironically! lol) about a year and a bit before with a ridiculously low shutter count (I think the recall had just been done on it and they messed up the pricing), so it wouldn't have felt right to profiteer from it. That'll balance out my moral compass after using Panamoz :D

I also sold him my Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 for £400 at the same time. I was offered about £480 by WEX. So I lost a bit, but it was a nice easy sale with no postage or problems (I've had an issue in the past). Great camera though, still miss it, although I don't miss that 1/4000 shutter error!

That was a bargain on both the body and the lens.

If your wife need more uncles, I wouldn't mind being your wife's uncle!

I miss my D750,great camera.what was the 4000 issue,I don’t recall that?

Upon first starting the camera in manual mode, if I went to take a shot at 1/4000 the shutter would lock abd "err" would show. At first I would switch off and on to sort, but then realised I could just press the shutter button again to clear it so not a huge deal, a slight annoyance though.

It had a new shutter under the recall, plus the latest firmware etc. I don't think a fix was ever found.

There's talk of it here if it helps explain better: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3932370

Sun was out today so I had a quick play, at 1/8000 my ISO was 125. Think I'm going to need an ND filter or two, especially for video.

Sun was out today so I had a quick play, at 1/8000 my ISO was 125. Think I'm going to need an ND filter or two, especially for video.
You could stop the lens down. They do that you know. ;)

Evening All,

Weather was rubbish today and not having used the camera for a while I thought I would have a play, here are two from today.

Red_Curves by SEP9001, on Flickr

Red_Ferrari by SEP9001, on Flickr

Thank you

Last edited:
Back