Nikon D80 Error

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend has just texted me to say that her D80 isn't working. It shows "F---" in top right of screen and "r06" in bottom right. Any Nikonites here have any ideas?

Cheers

Possibly the lens isn't on right, or its a very old lens.. Try setting the camera to Manual mode and see if it takes then ?

Paul

Thanks for the quick replies. The lens is a Nikon 70-300 VR purchased new this year. The lens seems to be permanently on the camera, but I'll get her to check it anyway.

The "F--" means that the camera can't set the aperture on the lens. May be a problem with the lens.

The "r06" isn't an error code, it's just telling you that the camera is in Raw shooting mode and in that mode you can shoot 6 shots one after the other (with continuous shooting mode on) before the buffer gets full.

Ahh...different fault then...

with the 50mm it's usually because the lens isn't locked on it's smallest aperture, with the 70-300 VR it is caused by a poor connection between the lens mount and the camera body.

Tell her to take the lens off, clean the mounts and refit it. That should cure it. Unfortunately it's a common problem with that combo and will probably reoccur.

The "F--" means that the camera can't set the aperture on the lens. Could be an old lens that isn't capable of having the aperture set by the camera.

Thanks Mark. Think our posts crossed, it's a 70-300VR, newly bought this year and has been used ever since.

Ahh...different fault then...

with the 50mm it's usually because the lens isn't locked on it's smallest aperture, with the 70-300 VR it is caused by a poor connection between the lens mount and the camera body.

Tell her to take the lens off, clean the mounts and refit it. That should cure it. Unfortunately it's a common problem with that combo and will probably reoccur.

Cheers. Yes, she's just texted me again to say that she's had the problem before but cured it by switching the camera off and on again. I've told her to remove the lens.

UPDATE

She has just texted me back. She removed and refitted the lens and the problem has gone away! :woot: I have told her to clean the contacts as well so hopefully it doesn't happen too often.

Thanks everyone. TPers strike again.(y) Maybe I should persuade her to join!

Shame we can't mention the other 2 in this nice world we all have to live in.;)

i had that once on My 40x

i simply took lens off, and put back on, cleaned the contacts to and it was fine

I'll keep that in mind for my D80, if it happens. Cheers guys(y)

Lol. I remember the first time I got this error. Was with my 28mm 2.8 (didn't have the aperture locked). Took me FOREVER to figure it out. I was new to the DSLR game and just knew I had either gotten a bad seed camera body, or my lens was broke. Good times, good times. :D

Last time I got the F--- error message, I thought my Nikon was being censored! ;)

Turned out that, if I slightly rotated the lens within some slack, perhaps not supposed to be there, while still mounted, (AF-S Nikkor 18-135mm), the problem quickly disappeared.

I wish that were so with my new error message which won't go away. It simply displays a blinking "Err" message and won't record or display a recorded photo although it "sounds like" it's taking pictures, all in one speed, etc.

Cannot seem to clear it. I fear I might have swerved the camera into the sun. That is the only thing I can conceive could have triggered this! :(

Last time I got the F--- error message, I thought my Nikon was being censored! ;)

Turned out that, if I slightly rotated the lens within some slack, perhaps not supposed to be there, while still mounted, (AF-S Nikkor 18-135mm), the problem quickly disappeared.

I wish that were so with my new error message which won't go away. It simply displays a blinking "Err" message and won't record or display a recorded photo although it "sounds like" it's taking pictures, all in one speed, etc.

Cannot seem to clear it. I fear I might have swerved the camera into the sun. That is the only thing I can conceive could have triggered this! :(

Hmmm...... and the manual is distinctly unhelpful when the error message displayed is simply a flashing 'Err'. I doubt just 'swerving' the camera into the sun has caused the problem though. I know with Canon cameras it's generally recommended to remove the batteries for a short period in order to reset any possible hiccups in the electrickery, so presumably the same goes for a Nikon. Failing that, it's probably worth contacting Nikon as the manual suggests, although I reckon they'll insist it's sent in for examination.

Common problem when the same lens is left mounted on the camera for long periods, simply removing and refitting the lens solves the issue.

I suspect that the contacts need a bit of exercise.

Common problem when the same lens is left mounted on the camera for long periods, simply removing and refitting the lens solves the issue.

I suspect that the contacts need a bit of exercise.

or maybe to go on the

826fd250fca06697115c8010.L._AA240_.jpg

:coat: :LOL:

this has happened quite a few times with my D80, just press the lens release button, turn the lens a bit, turn it back to click and it's fine, dont even have to separate them.

Back