Nikon NXD

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone use Nikon's editing system? I am still at the stage of reading the book on how to, but it seems very detailed, with every step seperated .

I have never seen Lightroom, but I have watched a couple of tutorials. I haven't looked yet to see if there are any on NXD, it would be good to see how they differ - I don't know if NXD can merge exposures and that kind of thing that I know Lightroom can do.

I don't think NXD can deal with combining multiple images, though it does very nice raw conversions and global adjustments. For more advanced downstream editing, you might want to look at Affinity Photo, which is on offer at £23.99 until 20 June: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

Does anyone use Nikon's editing system? I am still at the stage of reading the book on how to, but it seems very detailed, with every step seperated .

I have never seen Lightroom, but I have watched a couple of tutorials. I haven't looked yet to see if there are any on NXD, it would be good to see how they differ - I don't know if NXD can merge exposures and that kind of thing that I know Lightroom can do.

It's pretty easy to use but I wouldn't use it as a standalone editor.
I load images into NXD from the SD card and then carry out minor changes/delete before importing those I want to do more with into Photoshop (CS6).

Oh that iis interesting. I had only just discovered it today and thought, WOW, this is fantastic.

It was on my computer from when I had the D3 bodies... but I continued to use the NX2 which was before it. It wouldn't look at the RAW pictures from the drone though, lots of people have said get RAWTherapee, so I downloaded that. Now my NXD has disappeared and the download from Nikon now says it is not compatible with my computer... but it was on it happily at lunchtime, I was talking through it with a chap in Nikon Pro Services, he was helping me understand how it worked compared to NX2. Bloody RAWTherapee has taken over from it and buggered my system up completely is the only thing I can think of.

I want my NXD back... and the drone camera is proving to be far more trouble than it is worth. Nothing I know how to work will open the pictures. It is a minefield that is causing me far too much aggravation. Why can't all these things talk to each other?

I don't think NXD can deal with combining multiple images, though it does very nice raw conversions and global adjustments. For more advanced downstream editing, you might want to look at Affinity Photo, which is on offer at £23.99 until 20 June: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

I might have to. RAWTherapee has taken my NXD out of commission and done something to my computer that has now made it incompatible with NXD - even though it worked fine at lunchtime.... just what has that bloody Therapee thing done to my computer? NXD will not load, it says my computer system is not suitable... well it was just a couple of hours ago.

RAWTherapee has probably set itself as the default viewer for RAW files. If you right click any RAW file you should hopefully have the option of “Open with” and then go and choose NXD.

I use the software itself a little bit, but to be honest it was mostly to get some JPEG profiles correct for export to the camera. Since then I’ve mostly just shot in Jpg with my profiles applied :D

RAWTherapee has probably set itself as the default viewer for RAW files. If you right click any RAW file you should hopefully have the option of “Open with” and then go and choose NXD.

I use the software itself a little bit, but to be honest it was mostly to get some JPEG profiles correct for export to the camera. Since then I’ve mostly just shot in Jpg with my profiles applied :D

Just what does that mean? I have uninstalled RAWTherapee now, and I cannot reinstall NXD - it says my computer system is not suitable.... it was up until the moment I installed that drone RAW program.

Computers need to know which program is capable of opening certain files. Your computer will choose which program it thinks is best to open your RAW files, this morning it sounds like your computer was set to open RAW files with NXD. When you install a new piece of software it tends to change those settings so the new piece of software is then the default. In your case when you installed RAWTherapee it set itself as the default to open RAW files. It may be that you just need to go and tell your computer you want to use NXD to open RAW again, you shouldn’t need to reinstall anything as the old version should still be there.

If you go into your programs list from the start menu, is NXD still there? Nothing is impossible but I would be really really surprised if RAWTherapee uninstalled NXD completely.

Do you know which operating system you are running? How to fix this varies a little bit between versions so if you let me know I may be able to either point you towards a guide or put a quick one together for you :)

Last edited:
Windows 7 64-bit professional.

I know it is old, the computer is 2009 Acer Travelmate. It is an i5 Intel with 4GB and 250GB hard drive. It was very good in its day - it is still pretty good now for what I need. I don't watch films or play games - I write my features and do my pictures on it, very simply. It does my email and lets me come on here! That is as much as I need.

I might have to. RAWTherapee has taken my NXD out of commission and done something to my computer that has now made it incompatible with NXD - even though it worked fine at lunchtime.... just what has that bloody Therapee thing done to my computer? NXD will not load, it says my computer system is not suitable... well it was just a couple of hours ago.

1. What is the most recent Nikon camera you have?
2. What version of NXD were you running earlier, if you know it?
3. How do you normally run NXD - by clicking on an image, or from the Start menu?
4. Did you get the error message when trying to run NXD, or when trying to re-install it?
5. Is NXD still in the Start menu? If yes, what message do you get (exact words) when you try to run it from there now?

If you've downloaded version 1.6.2 of Capture NX-D, then it won't run on Windows 7. The release notice states that system requirements are either Windows 10 or 8.1

Just before we go too much further with this, have a quick watch of this video and have a try at following it through
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qsPgSZI24s

Just in case, if you’re using a Nikon camera the file type you want is a .NEF file.

I have managed to get NXD back... with help from folks, I had never heard of a 'system restore' before... it has put NXD back and the confuser is like it was before I tried to install Therapee. :banana::banana:

I have had a phone call to help me out and talk me through... I now have 'darktable' installed. The learning of how to get the pictures open in darktable begins... thank you everyone for all your help. Installing a new program is something I hadn't done before and when someone said, just click 'install', that was when it all went wrong, because it allowed RAW Therapee to take over everything. darktable is installed so it only opens when I want it to, same as NXD. At least I am part way there now. It might be some days before I can get a picture off the drone card yet though. We shall see. (y)

I have managed to get NXD back... with help from folks, I had never heard of a 'system restore' before... it has put NXD back and the confuser is like it was before I tried to install Therapee. :banana::banana:

I have had a phone call to help me out and talk me through... I now have 'darktable' installed. The learning of how to get the pictures open in darktable begins... thank you everyone for all your help. Installing a new program is something I hadn't done before and when someone said, just click 'install', that was when it all went wrong, because it allowed RAW Therapee to take over everything. darktable is installed so it only opens when I want it to, same as NXD. At least I am part way there now. It might be some days before I can get a picture off the drone card yet though. We shall see. (y)
Check out Bruce Williams on YouTube he is the Darktable guru, lots of great simple to follow tutorials.

Sent from my 8068_EEA using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

Back