Nikon School - Speedlight portrait work..

wil

Name
Will
Edit My Images
No
Here are some shots I took whilst on a Nikon School course in Jan 2014.

This was an excellent course and I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn about Nikon flashguns and portrait work..Any critique welcome !

RWM_2542 by Will Mowat, on Flickr

RWM_2607 by Will Mowat, on Flickr

RWM_2619 by Will Mowat, on Flickr

RWM_2512 by Will Mowat, on Flickr

The model is great, the takes cool, the renditions of 2 and 3 very good
but 1 (less because the blacks are few) and 4 (a bit more because of the
very heavy blacks) could, IMO, gain a tad more dynamic range as there
are no whites in them.

Definitely a good investment as seen here!

How were you instructed to use the flash, out of interest? It looks like it's off camera, and either bare flash or diffused but quite a distance away giving a hard light.

You asked for critque, so here's my 2p worth:
#1 - A lovely expression well caught, but it's under-exposed by quite a way.
#2 - Love this one! The way you've got the refection works well. It's a tad wonky and unless you've shot this wide and cropped in you'd lose the reflection if you straightened it.
#3 - Nice set up but, IMO, the pose (which looks awkward with her leaning back so far, maybe to get her eyes into the beam of light?) and expression ("are we nearly finished?") let it down.
#4 - Another lovely expression well caught, though she looks too low in the frame. Framing/cropping is personal thing and this may have been intentional. I'd take some off the top to get her eyes a bit above the centre, and some off the right to keep the aspect ratio.

Nice shots, #2 is the pick of the bunch for me. This was a while ago, have you done anything else more recently?

Very nice Will, I really would like to get myself on a flash course, Ill have to put it on this years to-do list. Firstly, what a beautiful model, I like #1, what a cool, natural smile, # my fave too, love the reflection! #3, sorry its just not doing it for me, it looks pretty forced and unnatural to me...sorry, #4 another cool shot, very nice mate

I can't give a critique on the use of flash but this looks like you used it very well. Being a trichromat species I like the color one the best but I'd remove the dark diagonal bar on her left.

Like them all. Colour being a winner for me but like number 1 very much too.

Gaz

Nice series of shots.

The 1st feels a bit grey to me, lacking contrast. I would push the blacks and whites a bit more but that's just my preference. The colour one is my favorite, light is a bit harsh with some very dark shadows under the mouth and side of the nose but it still works. Nice set though :)

The model is great, the takes cool, the renditions of 2 and 3 very good
but 1 (less because the blacks are few) and 4 (a bit more because of the
very heavy blacks) could, IMO, gain a tad more dynamic range as there
are no whites in them.

Definitely a good investment as seen here!

Agree, heavy blacks and no whites. Address these for a much stronger image, unless this is your preference [emoji4]

Back