Nikon Z* mirrorless

Was hoping Nikonrumors would have more info on the update today but alas it appears not. I couldn't give a hoots about the video side of things, but if they can improve c-af I'll be happy.

Was hoping Nikonrumors would have more info on the update today but alas it appears not. I couldn't give a hoots about the video side of things, but if they can improve c-af I'll be happy.

My continuous af wont focus at all. Don't get me wrong, the image comes out sharp but the focus area doesn't turn green to say its focused.

My continuous af wont focus at all. Don't get me wrong, the image comes out sharp but the focus area doesn't turn green to say its focused.
I don’t think any Nikon gives focus confirmation (ie beep and/or green/red lit af box) in af-c, doesn’t mean it’s not working. You used to be able to hear the focus motor working with most f-mount lenses, but with the af-p and Z lenses they’re much quieter. You can still hear it in quiet environments though if you listen.

Good to know, I thought it was possibly a glitch in the camera but saying that I don't really use the afc mode at the moment. I may use it more when the puppy arrives (aswell as the 50mm f1.8 z lens) ;)

Good to know, I thought it was possibly a glitch in the camera but saying that I don't really use the afc mode at the moment. I may use it more when the puppy arrives (aswell as the 50mm f1.8 z lens) ;)
Tbh it was odd for me when I got the Olympus EM1-II and that does give the confirmation beep and the AF box temporarily turns green when using AF-C ;)

What dog are you getting?

Latest news on the firmware update is that it will bring CFexpress compatibility but only for select brands, with more brands being added at a later date.

Tbh it was odd for me when I got the Olympus EM1-II and that does give the confirmation beep and the AF box temporarily turns green when using AF-C ;)

What dog are you getting?

Our new companion is a fox red labrador, he will be 9 weeks old when we pick him up this coming sunday. Hopefully the lens will turn up before or shortly after for Hilton Photographic so I can capture some memories of the little fella.

Nikon seem to be focussing in the wrong thing and not listening to what people want.

Nikon seem to be focussing in the wrong thing and not listening to what people want.
Not sure about that. Pro Res raw is a big deal for the video folk and most people have been asking for CFepxress update. Shame they've not done sandisk as well as Sony though. I wonder if there's some under the table agreement due to Nikon using Sony sensors?

Unfortunately it's not only Nikon who can be accused of not listening to customers needs. :(
Nikon as a brand is very strong, but brand alone may not save them in the long-run.

That’s definitely the major factor for the decline in cavers sales. DSLRs and mirrorless are becoming reserved for enthusiasts and pros, the casual shooter will just use their phone now.
I think there is a other aspect than that. People are holding back to see what Nikon and Canon comes Up with next. Their first generation may not have lovede Up to expectations, their lens offerings are Limited and they seem to strugle desiding to leave the DSLR tecnology behind. So buyers are just Skippinge this generation waiting for the next.

I wonder what the age demographics are. A while back the people buying DSLR's where pretty overwhelmingly older men but I wonder if mirrorless and ongoing convergence of stills and video has altered that. If buyers are still mainly older men I wonder how this translates for brand loyalty as the older ones drift away and dwindle and any younger potential buyers may care a lot less about a Nikon badge as they'll almost certainly not have owned anything from the brand.

I think there is a other aspect than that. People are holding back to see what Nikon and Canon comes Up with next. Their first generation may not have lovede Up to expectations, their lens offerings are Limited and they seem to strugle desiding to leave the DSLR tecnology behind. So buyers are just Skippinge this generation waiting for the next.
There may be that too, but I do wonder if the people that are in the mirrorless camp have already migrated to Sony, Fuji and Olympus?

Unfortunately it's not only Nikon who can be accused of not listening to customers needs. :(
Nikon as a brand is very strong, but brand alone may not save them in the long-run.
As I posted above, imo Nikon have listened. People wanted Pro Res Raw and now they can have it, and they also wanted CFExpress and they've got that too. AF updates were never confirmed so it was just someone getting people's hopes up. At the end of the day there has already been a pretty big AF update, maybe expecting two big updates was expecting too much.

There may be that too, but I do wonder if the people that are in the mirrorless camp have already migrated to Sony, Fuji and Olympus?

Certainly at the camera club that I am a member of, mirrorless users are pretty much all either Olympus, Sony or Fuji (written in descending order of # of users). I'm pretty sure I'm the only Nikon mirrorless user, and of course there's still an awful lot of DSLR users.

Simon.

Certainly at the camera club that I am a member of, mirrorless users are pretty much all either Olympus, Sony or Fuji (written in descending order of # of users). I'm pretty sure I'm the only Nikon mirrorless user, and of course there's still an awful lot of DSLR users.

Simon.
Most in mine are Canon and Nikon dslr users with some upgrading to 5DIV as late as this Winter. As for mirrorless we are one Z6 user, one 7III and two Fuji users.
Thats the ones I know of at least and with only around 50 memhers we are not at All representative for even the city we're located in, 50000 people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anything different to consider when cleaning the Z6 sensor vs a traditional one?
Are there any recommended cleaning kits?

Is there anything different to consider when cleaning the Z6 sensor vs a traditional one?
Are there any recommended cleaning kits?
I believe you have to be more cautious with any sensor with IBIS, but I'm not exactly sure what precautions you need to take.

Apparently, according to some posters on DPreview forum, this new firmware fixes the horizontal banding which is a welcome fix!

Apparently, according to some posters on DPreview forum, this new firmware fixes the horizontal banding which is a welcome fix!
What horizontal banding?

Anyone done the update yet and can confirm that it keeps the user settings please?

Did @rookies post about this? I've certainly not experienced it.
Dunno, the only banding I know of is that you see in the shadows if you push exposure by 5-6 stops, but this is true of all cameras with on sensor PDAF and is due to the design of the sensor which can't be corrected by firmware. Fortunately for me the Z7 is the least affected, although I can't say I've ever pushed an image 5-6 stops ;)

Whilst I still love my Z6 ane Z7, I too am a little underwhelmed by this firmware update. To be fair it's not that Nikon themselves actually promised us any extra features (think that was internet hype), but I for one am not interested at all in raw video or the move to CFExpress (I already have a stack of Sony G XQD cards in 120gb Size).

The following is what I would like to see - some maybe require new hardware in which case I'm sure they would perhaps be included in the V2 versions of these bodies, but some I'm sure are just firmware. So in no particular order:
  1. When in C-AF for the red focus square to turn green when it acquires focus.
  2. Better C_AF autofocus and tracking speed and accuracy (getting somewhere near the new Sony bodies)
  3. To simplify selecting tracking AF-C (rather than having to push the OK button as well).
  4. To change the stupid horizontal horizon feature (especially in the EVF) from a big compass style (that blocks the image), to the DSLR style dashes at the bottom and side of the screen (in fact this is one of my biggies as I have a habit of holding the camera at a slope otherwise).
  5. To be able to combine the horizontal horizon, histogram etc with other details on the screen (rather than having to select one or the other), and more options for what's on screen (including a "clean" screen in shooting mode).
  6. 4k 60 would be nice even at 8 bit in 4.2.0 internally (with 10 bit 4.2.2 available via HDMI output).
  7. Minor one, but would be nice to have the battery percentage level on screen rather than a battery icon (like in my Olympus cameras).
  8. Use the front AF assist light (at a reduced level) as a video recording tally light.
  9. Show the battery level on screen for both batteries when using the optional MB-N10 battery pack
  10. To be able to use the camera when on USB power (either by the AC adapter or via a power bank whilst it's switch on, rather than just top up the battery whilst it's switched off.
  11. Implement the 1.2x crop modes (As well as the 1.5x) in both cameras like the DSLR's.
  12. Sort out the very slow wireless transfer of images (even using a 5ghz wifi channel).
I know the above is just wishful thinking and many may require new hardware, but if they could improve on the ones that can possibly be done via a simple firmware fix, that would be fantastic. Just my 2 penneth afterall.

Last edited:
Whilst I still love my Z6 ane Z7, I too am a little underwhelmed by this firmware update. To be fair it's not that Nikon themselves actually promised us any extra features (think that was internet hype), but I for one am not interested at all in raw video or the move to CFExpress (I already have a stack of Sony G XQD cards in 120gb Size).

The following is what I would like to see - some maybe require new hardware in which case I'm sure they would perhaps be included in the V2 versions of these bodies, but some I'm sure are just firmware. So in no particular order:
  2. Better C_AF autofocus and tracking speed and accuracy (getting somewhere near the new Sony bodies)
  3. To simplify selecting tracking AF-C (rather than having to push the OK button as well).
  4. To change the stupid horizontal horizon feature (especially in the EVF) from a big compass style (that blocks the image), to the DSLR style dashes at the bottom and side of the screen (in fact this is one of my biggies as I have a habit of holding the camera at a slope otherwise).
  5. To be able to combine the horizontal horizon, histogram etc with other details on the screen (rather than having to select one or the other), and more options for what's on screen (including a "clean" screen in shooting mode).
  6. 4k 60 would be nice even at 8 bit in 4.2.0 internally (with 10 bit 4.2.2 available via HDMI output).
  7. Minor one, but would be nice to have the battery percentage level on screen rather than a battery icon (like in my Olympus cameras).
  8. Use the front AF assist light (at a reduced level) as a video recording tally light.
  9. Show the battery level on screen for both batteries when using the optional MB-N10 battery pack
  10. To be able to use the camera when on USB power (either by the AC adapter or via a power bank whilst it's switch on, rather than just top up the battery whilst it's switched off.
  11. Implement the 1.2x crop modes (As well as the 1.5x) in both cameras like the DSLR's.
I know the above is just wishful thinking and many may require new hardware, but if they could improve on the ones that can possibly be done via a simple firmware fix, that would be fantastic. Just my 2 penneth afterall.
I wouldn't want #1 tbh, #2,3,4,5, and 7 definitely. I'm not bothered about the rest but wouldn't bother me like #1 would ;) If Nikon did #2-5 it would it would make it a great camera. To make it a stellar camera I think they also need to add (some need a gen 2 camera)

1. 8fps with real time view
2. 120fps EVF refresh
3. A9 sensor scan time
4. Dual card slots.

im wondering if both canon and nikon will leave the general performance of the camera where it is now and focus improvements/upgrades for the next camera body release.

im wondering if both canon and nikon will leave the general performance of the camera where it is now and focus improvements/upgrades for the next camera body release.
I wouldn't be surprised, they're not going to give people everything they need in their first incarnation, plus most upgrades now probably require different hardware.

I wonder how many folk will pay for the pro res raw upgrade now or will wait for the next gen cameras? I'd not want to fork out $200 knowing that you'll probably want to upgrade your camera before too long.

I wouldn't be surprised, they're not going to give people everything they need in their first incarnation, plus most upgrades now probably require different hardware.

I wonder how many folk will pay for the pro res raw upgrade now or will wait for the next gen cameras? I'd not want to fork out $200 knowing that you'll probably want to upgrade your camera before too long.

I was thinking the same about that upgrade.. I wonder if people be waiting for a long time for the next generation such as 2 years?? as can't understand why nikon would bring this out and then bring out a generation 2 soon after

What horizontal banding?
Sometimes there is banding in the shadows when you really push a RAW. Going on some examples from the other forum, it seems to be fixed or better. But then you mentioned about the on sensor PDAF, so I dunno! lol.

Exactly this, Im guessing if they had rabbits to pull out the hat they wouldve done it by now, esp with Sony moving to MKIV and A9ii and Nikon desperately needing some market share.

Back