Nikon Z* mirrorless

Long exposure from a run out to Redcar this morning.

Redcar Groyne by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

Wasn't expecting too much from the weather forecast, but the cloud structure was excellent :)

Z6 + 24-70mm f4 Z

Cheers,

Simon.

PS either Flickr, the forum or a combination of the two has given a whole bunch of halos that aren't there on the original :(

Last edited:
I like everything from the horizon down but the sky doesn’t work for me personally..

I like everything from the horizon down but the sky doesn’t work for me personally..

I have some other shots yet to process that have a very different look and feel to the sky Andy that might be more to your taste :)

Cheers,

Simon.

I very often dislike the typical smooth, minimalist kinds of landscapes which still seem to be all the rage ---and win competitions. But the sky actually does do something here and I rather like the effect!

Last edited:
Very true, for me there’s too much magenta making the colours look a touch unnatural but as you say YMMV (y)
I find images with most cameras I have used tend too much towards magenta in certain types of lighting. I frequently move the slider more towards green though this one doesn't look too far off the mark.

I've read this thread (some parts just scan read) & have convinced myself to purchase a Z6 now. I have a D700 and was toying with the idea of a D750 for video as I previously had a D300s -which i loaned to my Nephew.

I have a 105 f2.8 Micro Nikkor which i want to use with the Adaptor - my one question is has it got a Trip screw threat on it at all? I've looked at photos but can't tell?

I've read this thread (some parts just scan read) & have convinced myself to purchase a Z6 now. I have a D700 and was toying with the idea of a D750 for video as I previously had a D300s -which i loaned to my Nephew.

I have a 105 f2.8 Micro Nikkor which i want to use with the Adaptor - my one question is has it got a Trip screw threat on it at all? I've looked at photos but can't tell?

Yep. Also has one on the adapter.

I actually Meant the adaptor, thanks

It does seem the Z6 mk2 is out very soon! Ok they have called it the D780 but it has all the mirrorless af advantages even with a mirrorless mode, has twin card slots and of course the full f mount range of lenses can be used. Win win?

Last edited:
Happy New Year everyone. I hope that 2020 brings you health and happiness.

I managed to get out for the sunrise on New Years Eve, heading up on to the Cleveland Way on the North York Moors to photograph Roseberry Topping. A stubborn bank of cloud made me wait for the light, but it was worth it in the end.

Roseberry Topping by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

Z6 + 24-70mm f4 S.

A nice surprise when I got to home to find my 50mm f1.8 S had eventually turned up from SRS. Only fired off a few test shots, but so far I am very impressed with it!

Nikkor Z 50mm f1.8 S Test by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

Z6 + 50mm f1.8 S

Now to figure out a way to get a hold of the 85mm f1.8 S :)

Cheers,

Simon.

It does seem the Z6 mk2 is out very soon! Ok they have called it the D780 but it has all the mirrorless af advantages even with a mirrorless mode, has twin card slots and of course the full f mount range of lenses can be used. Win win?
Sounds interesting, will have to have a look at that. I assume mirrorless mode won’t be through the VF though and when using the VF the AF spread won’t match mirrorless.

Looking at that link using the OVF you get the DSLR type AF system meaning that AF spread will be limited. It’s also ‘only’ using the 51 point rather than the 153 point from the D850/D500 which is a shame.
That is a shame, makes me wonder what Nikon are up to making compromised hybrid cameras, that’s not going to turn their fortunes around. I suppose it could be a good update to the D750 but seems like the ‘best bit’ isn’t implemented greatly!

That is a shame, makes me wonder what Nikon are up to making compromised hybrid cameras, that’s not going to turn their fortunes around. I suppose it could be a good update to the D750 but seems like the ‘best bit’ isn’t implemented greatly!
Maybe that’ll wait for the D850 replacement.

Headed out for a family walk today around Hardwick Park. Managed a couple of bird in flight grab shots with my 50mm f1.8 S wide open.

Bird in Flight by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

Bird in Flight by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

These birds can fairly move as they swoop in to try and beat the ducks and geese to the seed that was being fed to them.

I had hoped that this would arrive before we headed out, but unfortunately it didn't, so all I've been able to do is grab a couple of test shots with my 85mm f1.8S before it got dark.

Lens Testing by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

It looks every bit as good as I hoped it would :). Can't wait to put a few more frames through it, hopefully over the weekend before I'm back at work.

Cheers,

Simon.

Heard a commotion in the garden earlier. quickly grabbed my Z7 with my 70-300AF-P lens (the longest i have currently), to see what i think was a sparrowhawk that had captured a male blackbird. The poor blackbird sure wasn't going to have a good start to 2020 - looked very brutal as feathers were ripped off but i guess that's nature.

this is a massive crop (from 45mp down to 6mp), but you just have to love the cropability of the Z7. Also shot though the double glazed bedroom window.

Last edited:
70-200mm f2.8 s finally announced, slightly cheaper than I anticipated (although still very expensive) at £2399.

looks like a big bugger too - shame, I was sort of hoping it might be like the new Canon 70-200 (and the current Nikon 24-70 F4) in that it would be a collapsible design.

looks like a big bugger too - shame, I was sort of hoping it might be like the new Canon 70-200 (and the current Nikon 24-70 F4) in that it would be a collapsible design.
I’m glad it’s not, I prefer internal zoom (y)

Getting well and truly fed up of this lack of light, in frustration i went out the other day, looking for BIF so my settings were 1/1600 @ F7.1 auto ISO on a F6.3 lens, in-between flight shots i snapped a few other things.

I didnt think the Z50 did too badly for a DX.

DSC_2842 by electric.mike, on Flickr

DSC_29167 by electric.mike, on Flickr

DSC_29127 by electric.mike, on Flickr

70-200mm f2.8 s finally announced, slightly cheaper than I anticipated (although still very expensive) at £2399.

Certainly not cheap, but launch price is right where I thought it would be. Hopefully it will match the performance and IQ of the other S lenses released for the Z mount to date.

About right I guess. Should he able to find it for less than 2k on grey market with that price falling to about £1700

I'd best start saving then :). It would be nice to see an f4 version of this lens at some point to go with the 14-30mm and 24-70mm f4s. That would be a 3 lens setup to aspire to IMHO and a good compromise between speed, weight and physical size.

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited:
It's Happy Birthday to my Z6 - a year to the day since getting the camera which I struggle to find any significant shortcomings in. No winter here yet so just a nostalgia trip back a few weeks to the autumn colours.....

DSC_2311-2.jpg

DSC_2313-2.jpg

It's Happy Birthday to my Z6 - a year to the day since getting the camera which I struggle to find any significant shortcomings in. No winter here yet so just a nostalgia trip back a few weeks to the autumn colours.....

View attachment 265127

View attachment 265128
Happy birthday, Z6! It’s your fault, David, that I got mine about a month later.

Back