Nikon Z* mirrorless

Yes, hope everything goes well and you are back at 100% quick Stephen. We need you round here to combat the spread of the dreaded "sony" virus :D

Get well soon Stephen. :)
Hopefully you'll be back up to speed before you know it.
We'll try not to spread the Sony virus too much ;)

I did. From its incept (coming from E series) to 2014. I was even a mod on the UK E series forums. If I were to change it would be back to Oly.

I think it's more likely that I'd reinvest in Olympus, having also been an E-M5 owner. But I can't see myself ever doing what I did 10 years ago which was downgrade from a FF Nikon D700 to m43. My wife asked me what was wrong in having both and I'm still not sure as long as one was clearly the primary! I still do have a Penmini with 14-150 superzoom (adequate if hardly stellar) and it wouldn't be a major expense to reacquire a second hand E-M5 as -- to be honest a camera without a viewfinder is pretty useless outdoors. It might even encourage my wife to use the system again instead of relying on a smartphone. But I'm not going to pretend that any m43 is the equal of the Z6 and anyway, I do love playing around with narrow DoF which is harder (though by no means impossible with a fast lens) with the smaller sensor.

nice to see that my 50mm f1.2 AIS is one of the few ancients which make the grade. I found it, stopped down, in terms of resolution competitive with the new 50mm f1.8S though of course I only have the 24mp Z6 so wouldn't claim my results are that scientific.

JI’m Kasson comes across as seriously knowledgeable.
but yes, lots of plonkers on there.

you need to sort out the wheat from the chaff in DPR -- and much of it is indeed chaff from US wind-bagged hotheads. Nevertheless there are knowledgeable and helpful people there who might be able, by sheer force of numbers, to assist with a particularly tricky query. But I don't look at the forums in general much these days.

so what most seem to be saying is that because it is DPR it is automatically crap?
The guy who originated this article runs a website and this sort of stuff is good clickbait.

so what most seem to be saying is that because it is DPR it is automatically crap?
The guy who originated this article runs a website and this sort of stuff is good clickbait.
Nasim is a highly respected reviewer and photographer. Photography Life is one of the best photo resources on the web for Nikon hedz.

Now I’m sure he knows which articles generate more traffic but it’s a solid article and an interesting one on Nikon’s megapixel race.

I hate the layout and way that conversations are listed on DPR.

Here is a critique of the article from a different source.
This is beyond my technical ability but appears to be relevant.

The results presented are scientifically dubious. First, he plots MTF measured by Imatest, but he doesn't say what MTF he is plotting: for 90%, 50%, 10%?, which is an unacceptable omission. However, as Imatest recommends MTF50%, it probably is that. Then, if is MTF50%, he is not measuring the resolution of the sensor, he is measuring the frequency at which contrast falls to 50%. Resolution is usually defined by the Rayleigh criterion when the contrast drops further to 14%, which will be at a higher frequency. The way he does it, he underestimates the resolving power of sensors. If you want to measure where a lens gives up on resolution, you need to do it like Lensrentals does and use an MTF-bench

No, what I’m saying is that DPR forums seem to attract trolls and opinionistic know-it-alls like flys round a horses bum. Interspersed with them are nuggets of gold. What is difficult is sorting the wheat from the chaff. Very often I am put off reading a thread fully because of them. When it was a British-run forum it seemed much more civilised.

I hate the layout and way that conversations are listed on DPR.
Click on flat view for a normalised forum experience but threaded view with a little patience can be useful to jump straight into a specific discussion point.

Click on flat view for a normalised forum experience but threaded view with a little patience can be useful to jump straight into a specific discussion point.
Didn't even know that was a thing, I'll give that a whirl. Thanks.

Just had a look at the firmware update for the z6. Mine is on C2.0 and L1.0. Do I need to to install the previous updates before I install version 2.2?

Hi everyone!

I'm considering changing my set up to a mirrorless one, for improved video AF and AF in general. I currently have a d810 and shoot exclusively in live mode/remotely.
I want to do a bit more video work, and faster moving/action photography, too (the d810 af is hopeless for this in live view).
I am looking at the Z6, but wondered; how well does it work with nikon F mount lenses? And, how good is the af with the F lens converter?
Any help would be appreciated!

Hi everyone!

I'm considering changing my set up to a mirrorless one, for improved video AF and AF in general. I currently have a d810 and shoot exclusively in live mode/remotely.
I want to do a bit more video work, and faster moving/action photography, too (the d810 af is hopeless for this in live view).
I am looking at the Z6, but wondered; how well does it work with nikon F mount lenses? And, how good is the af with the F lens converter?
Any help would be appreciated!
Live view AF is MUCH better than the D810 and adapted af-s F-mount lenses work 99% as good as native. AF is not ‘class leading’ but certainly good enough for most applications.

Well took the plunge and ordered myself a Nikon 200-500 for the Z6 and Z7. Let's see if the combo can best my Olympus 300mm F4 pro and the EM1X/Em1 MK II bodies ?

Well took the plunge and ordered myself a Nikon 200-500 for the Z6 and Z7. Let's see if the combo can best my Olympus 300mm F4 pro and the EM1X/Em1 MK II bodies ?

I'll be really interested to hear how the combo gets on Andrew :)

Cheers,

Simon.

You and me both Simon. It was a toss up between that, the Nikon 300mm F4 PF (with TC-14E III 1.4x converter) or save more and go the whole hog and get the Nikon 500mm F5.6 PF. Hopefully I've made a decent decision and at just over £800 from E-Infinity, it's nearly half the price of the 300mm and over a thirds the price of the 500mm.

I already know it's going to be a big heavy beast.

Back