Nikon Z* mirrorless

Not what I want to hear Steven :D:D

I have a 200-500mm to go with my Z6. It's big and heavy but so are all other tele zooms in this range. I have my eye on the 500mm PF as well, but it's pricey. Not sure it would be worth it for me. Another option would be 300mm f2.8 with TCs, but heavy again :)

I'll dig up some photos with the combo.

Thank you all :)
All of the photos (except the landscape one -- that one is a view from my balcony) were taken in Bavarian forest in Germany. I had with me the Sigma 60-600mm and the Nikon 200-500mm. I ended up buying the Nikon. The Sigma was a bit softer and the VR is better on the Nikon. At least when comparing those two copies. I'll dig up some Sigma shots as well.

And now it's later :)
This one took me a bit by surprise....it's a tighter frame than I would have liked:
Massive bear by luftwalk, on Flickr

Mother bear protecting her cub from the male bear in the previous photo:
Mother bear protecting a cub by luftwalk, on Flickr

Fully extended and stopped down just a bit....I felt like I benefited from stopping down, but I could leave the Nikon wide open and be satisfied with the sharpness:
Lynx by luftwalk, on Flickr

Last edited:
All of the photos (except the landscape one -- that one is a view from my balcony) were taken in Bavarian forest in Germany. I had with me the Sigma 60-600mm and the Nikon 200-500mm. I ended up buying the Nikon. The Sigma was a bit softer and the VR is better on the Nikon. At least when comparing those two copies. I'll dig up some Sigma shots as well.

This one took me a bit by surprise....it's a tighter frame than I would have liked:

Fully extended and stopped down just a bit....I felt like I benefited from stopping down, but I could leave the Nikon wide open and be satisfied with the sharpness:

Magic. Don’t mess with Mama Bear

Just keeping the thread alive :D:D

Decided to try my Nikkor AF-P 70-300 F4.5-5.6 VR on the Z7, at high ISO's with some pretty severe crops yesterday lunchtime. Used my new Topaz Labs Denoise AI plug-in to clean the images up a little and to be honest, I'm quite impressed, and for such a relatively cheap lens, I'm quite impressed with the bokeh is produces (considering it's only F5.6 at the long end).

ISO 4000 (crop from 45.4mp down to 10.6mp)

ISO 6400 (crop from 45.4mp down to 8.5mp)

ISO 2800 (crop from 45.4mp down to 7mp !!)

Last edited:
Managed to sneak out for the day on Thursday with the camera. First opportunity I've had to spend more than an hour or two taking photos since I got the Z6, so it felt long over due. Despite all of the negativity that it feels there's been recently on this thread, I just continue to be more and more impressed by how the camera system performs and the quality of the output it is capable of.

Some photos taken across the day.

#1 Dunedin House
Dunedin House by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

#2 Stockton's riverside
Stockton Riverside by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

#3 The view from Sutton Bank at sunrise
Sutton Bank by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

#4 Classic view of the Atlas Fountain at Castle Howard. Shame the fountain wasn't operational and what water was there was frozen
The Atlas Fountain by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

#5 Temple of the Four Winds
Temple of the Four Winds by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

#6 Messing about with statues and sun stars
Statue by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

All of these were taken with my Z6 + Z 24-70mm f4 S

continued.....

…..a couple more

#7 Castle Howard itself. Had to wait until mid afternoon until the ice on the lake had melted sufficiently to give some nice reflections.
Castle Howard by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

#8 Castle Howard with the Z 85mm f1.8 S. I absolutely love this lens for portrait type shots, but the quality it gives stopped down as well is just fantastic!

Apologies for the picture heavy post, but as Andrew said above, just trying to keep the thread alive :LOL:

Cheers,

Simon.

…..a couple more

#7 Castle Howard itself. Had to wait until mid afternoon until the ice on the lake had melted sufficiently to give some nice reflections.

#8 Castle Howard with the Z 85mm f1.8 S. I absolutely love this lens for portrait type shots, but the quality it gives stopped down as well is just fantastic!

Apologies for the picture heavy post, but as Andrew said above, just trying to keep the thread alive :LOL:

Cheers,

Simon.
Great set! Looking forward to getting out and about with mine again.

Just an update on my prostate cancer treatment if anyone is interested. I finished the radiotherapy on Friday, and got to ring the bell. Now to deal with the side effects, which include lethargy (nothing new there), and interesting goings-on round the back (and I don’t mean in the shed). Onwards and upwards!

pleased to hear you have got over that hurdle Stephen.
My brother is about 2 months ahead of you. He says he feels much much better these last few weeks.

the first of the three bears has a superb expression on Mum and baby's faces. I'm curious what that string-like thing is between the two - I'd try to blend it out if possible as the photos certainly merits it.

Just an update on my prostate cancer treatment if anyone is interested. I finished the radiotherapy on Friday, and got to ring the bell. Now to deal with the side effects, which include lethargy (nothing new there), and interesting goings-on round the back (and I don’t mean in the shed). Onwards and upwards!
very glad as well to hear that's out of the way now and that everything should improve from now on.

the first of the three bears has a superb expression on Mum and baby's faces. I'm curious what that string-like thing is between the two - I'd try to blend it out if possible as the photos certainly merits it.

Believe it or not, that is the mother's spit :) I left it in because of that

Great to hear Stephen - hopefully you’ll be fully back on your feet before too long.

Beautiful shots Simon. Clean sharp and nice sunstars. I really fancy that Z7 and 24-70 f4 combo. I would be happy with that set up + the FTZ adapter and my current lenses I think.

Good news - just one step at a time :)

Another step on the road to recovery Stephen. Fingers crossed you're feeling better and getting stronger with each day that passes.

Beautiful shots Simon. Clean sharp and nice sunstars. I really fancy that Z7 and 24-70 f4 combo. I would be happy with that set up + the FTZ adapter and my current lenses I think.

Thanks, although to be clear these were taken with a Z6.

Simon.

That’s fantastic to hear, I hope the side effects wear off soon.

So glad you're staying positive and well on your way to a full recovery. So happy for you!

Was your brother on radiotherapy or did he opt for the surgery?

He had hormone injections for a month or two then radiotherapy for 6 weeks.
Then he is on hormone injections for 12 months post radiotherapy.
He came down for our sister’s funeral 2 weeks after radiotherapy finished and the travel from and to Cumbria and the funeral left him knackered.
Two months on he’s feeling much better and energetic.
He’s 74 and otherwise pretty fit

Last edited:
He had hormone injections for a month or two then radiotherapy for 6 weeks.
Then he is on hormone injections for 12 months post radiotherapy.
He came down for our sister’s funeral 2 weeks after radiotherapy finished and the travel from and to Cumbria and the funeral left him knackered.
Two months on he’s feeling much better and energetic.
He’s 74 and otherwise pretty fit
Not dissimilar to mine. 1 hormone injection (which lasts 3 months), then 20 days radio, alongside another hormone injection.

Thanks all. Tbh, the side effects are worse than either the cancer or the treatment. Obviously the radiotherapy doesn’t touch you, but a daily enema, well! I told them where they could stick that. So they did. :eek:
But a big cheer for all the staff at Jimmies Leeds. Without exception they all care, and the place is amazing. Light, airy, and peaceful. Always someone tinkling on the grand piano in the Atrium. I told him where the toilets were, but it made no difference. :exit:

Went for a walk with just the adapted 50 1.4 and got a couple of the dog:

DSC_1090-L.jpg

DSC_1062-L.jpg

Back