Nikon Z6 and Z7 mirrorless

Edit My Images
No
Edit My Images
No
In video it’s like everyone else mentions online compared to the F mount FTZ lenses. Just so quiet at home with the lockdown it’s all I could hear ha
Haha, I know what you mean these things can sound louder than ‘normal’ when you’re in complete silence ;)

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Mate of mine is looking to buy the Z6 soon and reports the price is fluctuating almost daily, sometimes by up to £200. Seems like Jessops, Wex and Cameraworld are taking turns to be the cheapest, sounds a bit like an unofficial agreement between them rather than genuine competition hmm

Name
Matt Thomas
Edit My Images
No
Mate of mine is looking to buy the Z6 soon and reports the price is fluctuating almost daily, sometimes by up to £200. Seems like Jessops, Wex and Cameraworld are taking turns to be the cheapest, sounds a bit like an unofficial agreement between them rather than genuine competition hmm
Best way to check the current pricing is here - https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-Z-System-Cameras

I know there's been a discount that Nikon have launched so maybe it's that?

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Edit My Images
No

It's an uncertain time for retailers. Stock just sitting there, doesn't pay the bills. Flash sales for certain items, helps stimulate interest and traffic, and hopefully sales. Losing a few quid on some stuff, but hopefully selling other stuff as well, so that a turnover is maintained. Z6 + 4-70 + FTZ kits have sold as low as about £1900 or so, from proper bricks and mortar UK retailers. I haven't seen any prices below this, other than grey importers. I doubt prices will go much below this, until Nikon introduce more Z cams. Which probably isn't going to be for a while yet, now. So, under £2000 for the kit, is a good price, and if you see it for around that, then go for it.

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
It's an uncertain time for retailers. Stock just sitting there, doesn't pay the bills. Flash sales for certain items, helps stimulate interest and traffic, and hopefully sales. Losing a few quid on some stuff, but hopefully selling other stuff as well, so that a turnover is maintained. Z6 + 4-70 + FTZ kits have sold as low as about £1900 or so, from proper bricks and mortar UK retailers. I haven't seen any prices below this, other than grey importers. I doubt prices will go much below this, until Nikon introduce more Z cams. Which probably isn't going to be for a while yet, now. So, under £2000 for the kit, is a good price, and if you see it for around that, then go for it.
I think he wants the more expensive f/2.8 zoom, I have advised to get the f/4 plus a couple of primes, £2k for the zoom is ridiculous in my opinion. Thoughts ?

Stephen L

I asked a Stupid Question Once...
Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I think he wants the more expensive f/2.8 zoom, I have advised to get the f/4 plus a couple of primes, £2k for the zoom is ridiculous in my opinion. Thoughts ?
I’ve not tried the 2.8 version, but unless you really need f2.8, I think the “kit” f4 zoom is more than adequate and great value. As you say, get a couple of f1.8 primes for the focal lengths which he specifically needs a wide aperture for.

Edit My Images
No
I’ve not tried the 2.8 version, but unless you really need f2.8, I think the “kit” f4 zoom is more than adequate and great value. As you say, get a couple of f1.8 primes for the focal lengths which he specifically needs a wide aperture for.
The f4 lens is superb imo. I understand the f2.8 is a cracking lens but I’ve changed my tune of late and would rather carry a prime with me if I wanted that ‘pop’ or low light capability rather than carrying the weight of the f2.8 zoom. YMMV (y)

Edit My Images
No
Well, I haven't used the f2.8 version, but the f4 'kit' lens is, imo, superb. Really sharp, less distortion than you might expect, and nice and compact. Makes for a small, light little combo for travelling about with. Personally, I wouldn't pay the extra for the f2.8. For a 24-70mm range, IBIS copes with needing to use lower shutter speeds (it's only a stop), f4 is still bright enough for using in really low light situations, I've used mine happily in dimly lit clubs etc. I've not felt the need for that extra stop, not like when I'm using a 70-200 and that extra stop equates to a faster shutter speed. And for the money saved, you could get what, the 35, 50 AND 85mm lenses! Or say a prime and the 14-30mm. I know what I'd rather do.

I understand the f2.8 is a cracking lens but I’ve changed my tune of late and would rather carry a prime with me if I wanted that ‘pop’ or low light capability rather than carrying the weight of the f2.8 zoom. YMMV
Very much this. At a small gig I covered recently, I used the 24-70mm f4, and the 50mm. Perfect. Didn't need anything longer, wider, or faster.

Name
Matt Thomas
Edit My Images
No
Depends if you shoot in low light and need that faster shutter speed without boosting the ISO. Nobody needs f/2.8 it’s just nice to have really but not at that price!

Stephen L

I asked a Stupid Question Once...
Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
hmm -- for once I'm lost for words...... :jawdrop: And I thought this was a family-friendly site!
Just don’t do what I did when double-checking identification and Google “pussy willow”.

Edit My Images
Yes
Just checked out Panamoz and the Z6 body is now down to £1310
With 24-70 kit lens £1630 :p
Strangely, with the FTZ adaptor, it's £1765.

I say strangely because when I looked last week to add in the FTZ increased the body + lens by £90 (unless I misread) and now it's £135.
Ah. I see it is still £90 difference between the body only, and body + FTZ

Z7 with FTZ adaptor and 24-70; £2460.