Nikon Z* mirrorless

Did anyone come to the Z6 from fuji xt3? If so how would you compare the Nikon colours to fuji Straight out of camera jpegs?

Goofing around today...a few pose that show off different emotions...at least that's the way I saw it :)

Cuteness:
Cuteness by luftwalk, on Flickr

Grace:
Grace by luftwalk, on Flickr

Power:
Power by luftwalk, on Flickr

and some fun (this is a movie on Flickr....suggest you click on it)...for both of us:
Digging by luftwalk, on Flickr

The obligatory daffodil shot (with apologies to the copyright holder @lunar22 )

Bluebells by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Pistols at dawn is it? I did actually take one more daffodil shot recently but even after moving the daffodils to a more suitable place with Photoshop, I still quickly deemed it worthy of deletion. Speaking of intruder deterring fangs, I'm afraid I have yet to come close to Luftwalk's talents in capturing anything that moves faster than a glacier to quote a certain other member :giggle:

DSC_2449.jpg

Last edited:
I've been playing with focus shifting (stacking) on a tripod.
I can't see how to use it handheld in the garden, as after setting initial focus point you have to go back into menu and press start, meaning that this process alone is likely to move the focus point (I don't have steel hands/wrists).
Any suggestions?

This is something that has been a concern to me. I'd stumbled across a YouTube video that had suggested that with current high frame rates handheld focus shifting was feasible (not a video specific to Z range). However it is impossible if the sequence cannot be initiated by shutter release/button. Totally understand that a tripod is best, but even then a remote shutter release would be useful rather than firing from the menu.

Like @Peter123, am I missing something? And just out of interest are there other cameras that support handheld focus shifting?

Hi John
Looking at some of the recent focus stacking threads it appears that Olympus have this cracked.

Thanks Peter. We will just have to accept that no technology is perfect and lug a tripod round the garden

I also asked the question on DPR. I got more responses but the answer is still no.

A couple from my compulsory exercise this afternoon. 14-30 lens.

Mistletoe decided to practice anti-social distancing.

Coronavirus Keep Out by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Social Distancing by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Told Ruby about anti-social distancing which is her favourite hobby when permitted. Not often you see her in such close proximity outdoors away from the streets. Incidentally a Jack Russel attempted to "get intimate" with her yesterday but kept on falling off her back.....

Told Ruby about anti-social distancing which is her favourite hobby when permitted. Not often you see her in such close proximity outdoors away from the streets. Incidentally a Jack Russel attempted to "get intimate" with her yesterday but kept on falling off her back.....
God loves a trier. :clap:

A shame the 24-200 has been delayed, but given my self employed status it's probably not a bad thing - as I really want the lens so saves any temptation! Lol.
I had already cancelled mine. I would have liked it, but I wanted the 85mm more. So that means I have already spent the money I had reserved. if I hadn't spent it, I would now, If you know what I mean. (Man maths)

I had already cancelled mine. I would have liked it, but I wanted the 85mm more. So that means I have already spent the money I had reserved. if I hadn't spent it, I would now, If you know what I mean. (Man maths)
Makes sense. As and when things get a little more back to normal, I'll get the 24-200 but it may mean flogging off some other lenses to do. That way I can get it without spending any new money... But in the meantime I might need to sell those lenses to live depending how long my industry is dark for!

Did anyone come to the Z6 from fuji xt3? If so how would you compare the Nikon colours to Fuji Straight out of camera jpegs?

I did exactly this just over a year ago. Having become used to the excellent JPEG's that Fuji are famed for I was nervous, although not too concerned as I generally use RAW files. I have to say I have been really impressed with the Nikon JPEG's and am not regretting the change at all. In fact I subsequently bought a Z50 as a smaller option and have been equally impressed with the images out of that.

I think it speaks volumes that this is the longest I think I have owned a camera!

I did exactly this just over a year ago. Having become used to the excellent JPEG's that Fuji are famed for I was nervous, although not too concerned as I generally use RAW files. I have to say I have been really impressed with the Nikon JPEG's and am not regretting the change at all. In fact I subsequently bought a Z50 as a smaller option and have been equally impressed with the images out of that.

I think it speaks volumes that this is the longest I think I have owned a camera!
Thanks for the reply. Im on the fence about the XT-4 or changing systems again! Fuji is the longest Ive stayed with a system and the only reason to move is better tracked eye autofocus and FF.

Thanks for the reply. Im on the fence about the XT-4 or changing systems again! Fuji is the longest Ive stayed with a system and the only reason to move is better tracked eye autofocus and FF.

It's a tricky choice and cost to change has to be a major factor. I can only say that I have never regretted the move. I can see a marked difference in image quality (when I pixel peep admittedly) and the high ISO performance of the Z6 (and Z50) is astonishing. Whilst lens choice is limited, I am blown away by the 24-70 F4 which I use most of the time - I do wish that there was the option of a small 35mm equivalent lens (along the lines of the 23mm F2) but that's the downside of full frame.

Good luck in whatever you do - I am sure if you stick with Nikon and get the XT-4 you'll be very happy.

I also moved from Fuji I've had XT XT2 and XT20 but not the T3.

I do miss the smaller lenses but I'm happy with the 24-70 amazing kit lens along with the 85 1.8 g and the afp 70-300. I also thought I would miss the dials of the FUJI but the ergonomics of the Z6 and layout are great. . I love the handling of the Z6 the grip is one of the best I've had and the evf and lcd screen are clear and sharp. The amount you can crop in as well is pretty impressive.

It's a tricky choice and cost to change has to be a major factor. I can only say that I have never regretted the move. I can see a marked difference in image quality (when I pixel peep admittedly) and the high ISO performance of the Z6 (and Z50) is astonishing. Whilst lens choice is limited, I am blown away by the 24-70 F4 which I use most of the time - I do wish that there was the option of a small 35mm equivalent lens (along the lines of the 23mm F2) but that's the downside of full frame.

Good luck in whatever you do - I am sure if you stick with Nikon and get the XT-4 you'll be very happy.
I've been thinking of getting the 16-50 and using it on the Z6 in crop mode for something smaller on walks, just wondering if you have tried this Dave?

I also moved from Fuji I've had XT XT2 and XT20 but not the T3.

I do miss the smaller lenses but I'm happy with the 24-70 amazing kit lens along with the 85 1.8 g and the afp 70-300. I also thought I would miss the dials of the FUJI but the ergonomics of the Z6 and layout are great. . I love the handling of the Z6 the grip is one of the best I've had and the evf and lcd screen are clear and sharp. The amount you can crop in as well is pretty impressive.

How do you find the 70-300 AFP? I've read some very positive reviews of it and much prefer the size of it compared to the 70-200 F4 or F2.8.

I've been thinking of getting the 16-50 and using it on the Z6 in crop mode for something smaller on walks, just wondering if you have tried this Dave?
I haven't done any serious shooting with it but tried it out and it works very well - certainly a good compact option, and plenty sharp enough. if you don't mind being limited to 10mp

How do you find the 70-300 AFP? I've read some very positive reviews of it and much prefer the size of it compared to the 70-200 F4 or F2.8.
AF-P 70-300mm is a very good lens. It does noticeably vignette but that’s easy to fix in post.

I moved from an X-Pro2 to the Z6 as a fairly early adopter. As it is, no regrets. The image quality is noticeably better is any sort of difficult lighting and yes, that 24-70 is easily the best "kit" lens I've ever used. I like being able to adapt old lenses at the correct focal length The EVF is a huge improvement on the Fuji and by no means least, this thing has IBIS. I admit that the X-T4 ticks a lot of boxes v the Pro 2 but you still have APS-C image quality. The Z6 is actually often cheaper than the T4 anyway.

On JPEG's, when I tested, was surprised how good they are -- really quite a natural reproduction. But I never shoot JPEG anyway. If you want Fuji colours in a Nikon, one way is to use Capture One and choose Fuji colour profiles. Don't know of a way to do this in LR but don't feel the need anyway. Oh, and another endorsement for the 70-300 AF-P. It would be theoretically nice to have a native as standard telezoom but this is by far the best value I've ever come across in this category -- very hard to fault it except of course it's rather slow. I could be tempted by something at fixed f4.

Last edited:
Again, thanks for the helpful replies. My most frequently used lens in Fuji is the 16-55 2.8. So the Nikon z6 “kit lens” should be on par? I’m nervous about the change because when I moved to Sony A7 and continued to shoot jpeg I struggled with Sony colours. I loved the FF narrow DOF but could not be bothered with post processing as many images. With Fuji my PP is minimal.

I moved from an X-Pro2 to the Z6 as a fairly early adopter. As it is, no regrets. The image quality is noticeably better is any sort of difficult lighting and yes, that 24-70 is easily the best "kit" lens I've ever used. I like being able to adapt old lenses at the correct focal length The EVF is a huge improvement on the Fuji and by no means least, this thing has IBIS. I admit that the X-T4 ticks a lot of boxes v the Pro 2 but you still have APS-C image quality. The Z6 is actually often cheaper than the T4 anyway.

On JPEG's, when I tested, was surprised how good they are -- really quite a natural reproduction. But I never shoot JPEG anyway. If you want Fuji colours in a Nikon, one way is to use Capture One and choose Fuji colour profiles. Don't know of a way to do this in LR but don't feel the need anyway. Oh, and another endorsement for the 70-300 AF-P. It would be theoretically nice to have a native as standard telezoom but this is by far the best value I've ever come across in this category -- very hard to fault it except of course it's rather slow. I could be tempted by something at fixed f4.
My story is identical to David’s. In fact, he’s directly to blame (or thank) for me moving over from Fuji. :ty:

Again, thanks for the helpful replies. My most frequently used lens in Fuji is the 16-55 2.8. So the Nikon z6 “kit lens” should be on par? I’m nervous about the change because when I moved to Sony A7 and continued to shoot jpeg I struggled with Sony colours. I loved the FF narrow DOF but could not be bothered with post processing as many images. With Fuji my PP is minimal.

the 24-70 will give much the same DoF control as the Fuji 16-55. I never used that lens and it has had fairly good reviews on the whole, though rather depending on copy. Compared to the Fuji 18-55 at any rate, the Nikon is in a totally different class, not only in IQ but also autofocus reliability. It's with the Z6 that I mostly have very little PP to do.

I have a question....has anyone here used a 300mm f2.8 (VR2, VR1 or AF-S II) with the Z cameras? TC experience would be welcome as well. I'm asking specifically for the Nikon versions since I had a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 Sport and while I loved the IQ from it, the AF-C was a different story...it basically stuttered a lot and caused a misfocus. Tried it on a D750 and the Z6. But when it hit...oh boy :)

I lately had that 300/2.8 itch again...so was looking at the Nikon primes and while they're quite expensive I see no Z version in the future...

the 24-70 will give much the same DoF control as the Fuji 16-55. I never used that lens and it has had fairly good reviews on the whole, though rather depending on copy. Compared to the Fuji 18-55 at any rate, the Nikon is in a totally different class, not only in IQ but also autofocus reliability. It's with the Z6 that I mostly have very little PP to do.
I actually really like the rendering of the Fuji 18-55mm. Sure it’s not quite as sharp as the Z 24-70mm f4, but it has a very nice aesthetic quality imo (y)

I actually really like the rendering of the Fuji 18-55mm. Sure it’s not quite as sharp as the Z 24-70mm f4, but it has a very nice aesthetic quality imo (y)
Interesting -- I think I see what you're getting at as, after all, it was that lens which got me started on my 5+ years with Fuji though I didn't really miss it when it went to my brother with .the X-E1 (which he still uses and is perfectly happy with). I certainly found it best at the shorter end though as AF and sharpness fell off towards the longer end. Could have been my copy of course.

I had 2 copies of the 18-55 in my Fuji years but never felt it was that good.
The Nikon 16-80 easily beats it. That too is now gone and replaced with Nikon Z.

I had 2 copies of the 18-55 in my Fuji years but never felt it was that good.
The Nikon 16-80 easily beats it. That too is now gone and replaced with Nikon Z.
Your the first I've heard not be happy with that lens tbh, but we all see and want different things (y)

Actually during my 1 year foray into Fuji I had 3 copies of the 18-55 and only one of them was what I would call acceptable. All my other Fuji lenses were amazing though.

Actually during my 1 year foray into Fuji I had 3 copies of the 18-55 and only one of them was what I would call acceptable. All my other Fuji lenses were amazing though.
Interesting. My favourite lens was probably the 35mm f1.4.

Back