Nikon Z* mirrorless

I agree [emoji16]. By small I meant the same size as the Fuji. I might try a Nikon 35 1.8g lens with the FTZ.

I think youll be looking at something quite a bit bigger than the 35mm 1.8 S, nowhere near the size of the Fuji 35 1.4.

I think youll be looking at something quite a bit bigger than the 35mm 1.8 S, nowhere near the size of the Fuji 35 1.4.

I was hoping that Nikon might bring out some more compact DX primes but I think that might be a lot further down the road.

Small primes seem to be a thing of the past don’t they, modern primes are quite large by comparison. That being said, the Nikon AF-S 35mm isn‘t that small.

The fx! Which I now realise you might not actually have been referring to?

The fx! Which I now realise you might not actually have been referring to?

Tbh the FX would be the better option as I could also use it on my Z6. From memory the FX lens is a reasonable size. Does it handle well on the Z50 given the added size because of the FTZ adapter?

Tbh the FX would be the better option as I could also use it on my Z6. From memory the FX lens is a reasonable size. Does it handle well on the Z50 given the added size because of the FTZ adapter?

Should have been clearer - the Z6 plus 35mm G FX is my go-to. It’s not a particularly small combo (length wise) but very pretty light, and properly sharp. Was never really that fussed about 30ish mm fast primes on Full frame, but the z6 has changed my mind!

It wouldn't be much use on the Z6 as it'll force it in to DX mode and only give 10MP. Would only really be useful on the Z7 IMO.
Yes, I’m aware it could only be used in DX mode, but in the olden days I got some great A4 prints from considerably fewer than 10 Mp. Some sold well from my Olympus Ç2020. There seems to be an obsession with pixel quantities (there always has been) but the benefits of fewer pixels is one of the reasons I went Z6 than Z7. :)

The reason I went with the Z6 after having the D850 was due to less MP, but for crop mode I'd certainly much prefer the Z7. I loved the D850 for the versitility of having a D500 inside in crop mode.
So I myself don't have an obsession with MP but for this scenario I'd be looking for more of them to get the best out of using the DX lens as 10MP wouldn't allow for much crop.

If the IQ is stellar, I wouldn't be too worried about the 10mp and of course it weighs very little -- about half as much as the 70-300 AF-P for FF. I'd still stick to what I have but for an occasional user of this type of lens, it might be a different calculation altogether.

From what I can find out on t'internet performance on a Z50 is regarded as excellent with the proviso that it seems to be best in good light, due to aperture constraints. The few photos I've seen of it from a Z6 supports my theory that, for someone who seldom uses telephoto lenses but sometimes wants greater reach than 85mm and still use a native Z lens, it's perfectly useable. I've had the 70-300 AF-P and, whilst it is undoubtedly a fine lens, it's overkill for me. If it weren't for the price and the fact that it doesn't actually exist as a retail product yet, the 24-200 might well be a better bet. We shall see.

VR and IBIS work together but only give 3 axis rather than 5 axis when using Z lenses, I'm led to believe.
Thanks

VR and IBIS work together but only give 3 axis rather than 5 axis when using Z lenses, I'm led to believe.

No; it's 5 axis with Z series lenses, and F mount lenses with VR, and 3 axis with other lenses.

Hi there. Sent my XT-2 kit off to MPB just before we all got told to stay indoors. The lockdown has given me lots and lots of time to research replacements. One of the many wormholes I disappeared down was YouTube and on there Tony Northrup (yes I know, but I really do have lots of time) complains about the amount of dust he finds on the sensor of a Sony A7Riv. He says him and his chums have to clean their sensors every time they go out. In passing he says that the Nikon Zs are just the same.

I'd just like to ask if anyone here finds that their sensors get dirty. And need cleaning a lot? Just wondered.

I've cleaned my own twice in a year. Compared to my D850 I'd say it was maybe a little bit more prone to dust. But I find that it's far easier to clean than a DSLR as the sensor is so close to the surface. Learn how to clean your own sensor and you'll never worry about dust. I used to always wait until calumet (wex) open days and donate a few quid to charity for a sensor clean. Now they changed all that, I learnt how to clean my own and find that it's actually a better job. Get the right size of swabs and some swab fluid and away you go.

no (stuck, anyway) dust at all after 16 months of ownership. I hardly ever smaller apertures than f11 but do check images at 100% and am perfectly happy so far. I had little or no dust on Fuji or m43 mirrorless cameras. Nikon DSLR's were rather bad, though. I always point the camera down when changing lenses which probably helps. I expect Northrup has no idea how to change lenses or he checks everything at f22 or smaller with boosted contrast. If you try hard enough to find dust, you surely will.

Hi there. Sent my XT-2 kit off to MPB just before we all got told to stay indoors. The lockdown has given me lots and lots of time to research replacements. One of the many wormholes I disappeared down was YouTube and on there Tony Northrup (yes I know, but I really do have lots of time) complains about the amount of dust he finds on the sensor of a Sony A7Riv. He says him and his chums have to clean their sensors every time they go out. In passing he says that the Nikon Zs are just the same.

I'd just like to ask if anyone here finds that their sensors get dirty. And need cleaning a lot? Just wondered.
No. I’ve had a couple of spots, but using the sensor clean function shifted them. Not yet had to perform a manual clean. If you want dirty, get a Canon 5D Mk 1!

Well I've owned one from just after launch and nothing so far. Tony Northrup is not a fan of Nikon's.

Just answered this in the Sony thread (y)
I've cleaned my own twice in a year. Compared to my D850 I'd say it was maybe a little bit more prone to dust. But I find that it's far easier to clean than a DSLR as the sensor is so close to the surface. Learn how to clean your own sensor and you'll never worry about dust. I used to always wait until calumet (wex) open days and donate a few quid to charity for a sensor clean. Now they changed all that, I learnt how to clean my own and find that it's actually a better job. Get the right size of swabs and some swab fluid and away you go.
I found the opposite, my D850 needed more regular cleaning than the Z7. The D750 was the worst, seemed to get dust on the sensor every time I went out :oops: :$

Last edited:

never cleaned my d850 or d750 but have had dust on the z6 cleaned most of it with a rocket blower but can't get rid of two spots it looks more like grit going to clean it tomorrow with swabs

Just ordered a Z6, bye bye [emoji112] D500

The D500 is an outstanding camera. The Z6 in comparison to it falls short in a number of categories. But the Z6 is a good camera with outstanding lenses. Enjoy.

Here we go...

:popcorn:

Back