Nikon Z* mirrorless

Hi - could I ask if anyone is using the AF-S 24-120mm f4 with the Z6?
I suppose what I'm really asking is - what I am gaining by buying the Z6 and 24-70mm f4 Z kit lens in preference to using the FTZ converter and excellent copy of a lens I own and am quite satisfied with?
(I'm currently using the 24/120mm with a D810).

I guess if you use the 70-120 focal length then you’ve nothing to gain except weight loss.
However the kit lens is very sharp from wide open.
I’ve never used the 24-120

If anyone is thinking of ordering from Panamoz, could you do me a favour.?
I want to buy another XQD card. They won't supply separately.
Happy to send you the money before order.
I'll obviously include shipping on to me.

appreciate it..

if you shoot a lot in real telephoto territory and would anyway need a 70-200/300, the the extra focal length on the 24-120 is probably a waste of time, esp. as the long end is relatively weak. The 24-70S is widely regarded as competing with the newest f2.8 for IQ but then the 124-120 is not that far behind, it seems and if you have a copy with a relatively good long end then why not stick with it! Haven't shot with it personally, though.

Just remembered another small but useful feature. If you activate some exposure compensation, then switch the camera off, it resets the compensation to zero. Useful for me as I power off after just about every shot.

Just remembered another small but useful feature. If you activate some exposure compensation, then switch the camera off, it resets the compensation to zero. Useful for me as I power off after just about every shot.

That is the sort of thing I forget to change.. I am not a lover of ep compensation dials. I am always accidentally nudging them one way or the other.

Last edited:

Just tried it on mine, still shows compensation . I'm using the default method of applying.

Just tried it on mine, still shows compensation . I'm using the default method of applying.

I think.... If you apply exposure compensation on one of the A/S/M modes, then power off and back on, it will remember the most recent exp comp setting. If you apply it in one of the User modes, then turn off and on, it will revert to default (or your original saved setting). Correct me if I've misunderstood... :)

I think.... If you apply exposure compensation on one of the A/S/M modes, then power off and back on, it will remember the most recent exp comp setting. If you apply it in one of the User modes, then turn off and on, it will revert to default (or your original saved setting). Correct me if I've misunderstood... :)

I would prefer it to default to zero every time you turn it back on ...always forget about EC.

that seems to me to be correct. I haven't so far explored the user modes so the exp comp. settings are always retained for me which is what I'd expect.

Just double-checked. I only (usually) use A mode, never a U mode. Exposure comp definitely reverts to zero when it's power cycled. But I don't know if at some point I've told it to do that in a menu setting.

Just double-checked. I only (usually) use A mode, never a U mode. Exposure comp definitely reverts to zero when it's power cycled. But I don't know if at some point I've told it to do that in a menu setting.
EDIT I think there’s a setting for Auto Reset On, which enables this feature. It seems that this resets compensation after each shot, which I’ve never checked for, just accepted as it is because I rarely take two consecutive shots of the same scene without separately checking the exposure.

Quandary time. I’ve preordered the14-30

But..I fancy the Siggy 14-24

I know it’s bloody heavy..should I just wait for native z mount. ?
It’s much lighter..but it’s f4

I Fancy the creative possibilities of large aperture.

Probably not going to be an easy answer.

It’s a choice between dof and dow. (Depth of wallet). :)

The early adopter first world issues, I've been there with Sony. :D

I think 14-30 is quite a neat lens. Personally much prefer it to standard 16-35. So I'd wait for that. UWA one area where mirrorless short flange distance can provide some major weight saving. So I am kinda principally against buying DSLR design lenses in this area :p

Last edited:
It’s a choice between dof and dow. (Depth of wallet). :)
The early adopter first world issues, I've been there with Sony. :D

I think 14-30 is quite a neat lens. Personally much prefer it to standard 16-35. So I'd wait for that. UWA one area where mirrorless short flange distance can provide some major weight saving. So I am kinda principally against buying DSLR design lenses in this area :p

Thanks very much. Much to ponder.

Not an easy answer, indeed! Although stargazers seem to require a large aperture, I would have thought that for general purpose photography, the minimum focus distance is more important with a UWA for creative control. On a Z6, you're going to get decent stabilisation so f4 should be adequate in most situations. If it were cheaper, the 14-30 would be a home run for me. As it is, I'm sure the cost will fall within months if not weeks after release like the other S lenses as the launch price does seem rather too high. My decision, still assuming I sell off my Fuji stuff, will not be before the summer. The only other current competitor is the new Tamron 17-35 at around half the price.

Going back to the subject of power-off resetting some settings, is there a way of automatically setting the focus point back to centre whenever you power off (besides pressing the OK button)?

I hate changing lenses.
So now I turn the camera on, remove the battery. This closes the shutter.
Change lens, replace battery and press the shutter button to reset.
Should help keep dust off the sensor.

Whilst editing the ‘Bronze’ picture above, I noticed a mark on the sensor. I’ll have to get the swabs out.

Very very tempted to sell my D750 & 24-70mm 2.8 and order the Z6 and kit lens with adapter from Panamoz. Anything obvious that I will be missing from the switch?

Update: spent the day in the studio with it yesterday. 700 images, 50% battery left. (With picture review off)

Auto focus with face tracking performed brilliantly, turned d8 off so’s not to confuse myself with strobes. Some really really great images, very minimal editing required.

Used the 24-70 f4, 50mm 1.8G and 85mm 1.8g on the ftz.

Very very tempted to sell my D750 & 24-70mm 2.8 and order the Z6 and kit lens with adapter from Panamoz. Anything obvious that I will be missing from the switch?

Depends what you shoot. I find the AF-C to be lacking.
How often do you shoot at F2.8 ?
I actually don’t need the AF-C. Just tried it for fun this morning on the dog walk. My D500 smokes it.
For everything else it’s super.
I’ve had the D750. Considered it when returning to Full Frame. Very happy with the Z6. The kit lens is very very good.

has any one here used Z6 with 300mm PF and also 1.4/1.7x TCs? would like to hear your experience in terms of AF speed and accuracy.

Depends what you shoot. I find the AF-C to be lacking.
How often do you shoot at F2.8 ?
I actually don’t need the AF-C. Just tried it for fun this morning on the dog walk. My D500 smokes it.
For everything else it’s super.
I’ve had the D750. Considered it when returning to Full Frame. Very happy with the Z6. The kit lens is very very good.
Shooting at 2.8 is not that important, f4 is fine, the built in camera stabilisation will help as I do not have the VR 24-70 so an f4 should be fine.
I only shoot AFS-S as I like to move the focus point manually, I like the idea of so many points being available. Can you literally pick any of the 200 odd focus points when in AF-S-S mode?

Shooting at 2.8 is not that important, f4 is fine, the built in camera stabilisation will help as I do not have the VR 24-70 so an f4 should be fine.
I only shoot AFS-S as I like to move the focus point manually, I like the idea of so many points being available. Can you literally pick any of the 200 odd focus points when in AF-S-S mode?

Don’t know what happened there. Yep any one you like. It’s Brill.

Back