Nikon Z* mirrorless

Whilst editing the ‘Bronze’ picture above, I noticed a mark on the sensor. I’ll have to get the swabs out.

Nikon recommend sending it in for a clean. So, turned off the IBIS. Switched off the camera and removed lens. Switched it back on, the idea being with IBIS off the lens won’t float. Swabbed it, all good. Switch off and replace the lens.

I hate changing lenses.
So now I turn the camera on, remove the battery. This closes the shutter.
Change lens, replace battery and press the shutter button to reset.
Should help keep dust off the sensor.

Just seen this and tried it, clever. I wonder if there's a good reason why Nikon didn't implement a mechanism that closes the shutter automatically when removing a lens... or if they just never thought of it! :rolleyes:

Nikon recommend sending it in for a clean. So, turned off the IBIS. Switched off the camera and removed lens. Switched it back on, the idea being with IBIS off the lens won’t float. Swabbed it, all good. Switch off and replace the lens.

Just curious but do you have 'Clean at Shutdown' turned on? Ever since Nikon introduced this on DSLRs I've never had to clean a sensor... and I change lenses a lot.

Just seen this and tried it, clever. I wonder if there's a good reason why Nikon didn't implement a mechanism that closes the shutter automatically when removing a lens... or if they just never thought of it! :rolleyes:
I thought that's what Canon has done. I'm not sure I'd want to try Trevor's suggestion, clever though it sounds, just in case it could damage the mechanism long term. I also don't understand why Nikon have a "clean at shutdown, "which I always have activated, rather that a "clean at startup" which every other camera I've used has.

Just curious but do you have 'Clean at Shutdown' turned on? Ever since Nikon introduced this on DSLRs I've never had to clean a sensor... and I change lenses a lot.

Not sure. I’ll check tomorrow.

Not sure. I’ll check tomorrow.

Yep. Clean at shutdown is on.
Hopefully now that I change lenses after closing the shutter it’ll keep cleaner.

this shows the crisp detail fading away quite nicely. The f2.8 should give a bit more DoF control than the f4 Nikon 14-30 (same min. focus distance) though the actual nature of the bokeh of the latter is tbd. Glad you're enjoying this lens anyway, Stephen -- it's certainly on my uwa shortlist. Have you made it to the Lakes then?

Hand-on with the Z 24-70/2.8 - https://www.dpreview.com/articles/4812561497/cp-2019-hands-on-with-nikon-z-24-70mm-f2p8-s

I am surprised there isn't much talk about this. But IMO looks a stunner :D

It’s a shame it no longer has the fixed hood, moving front element of the older 24-70 and 28-70. Love that little feature but I guess that will partly be why this version is much smaller.

Looks good but I find it a little odd that Nikon will soon have two 24-70’s in such a tiny range of lenses.

It’s a shame it no longer has the fixed hood, moving front element of the older 24-70 and 28-70. Love that little feature but I guess that will partly be why this version is much smaller.

Looks good but I find it a little odd that Nikon will soon have two 24-70’s in such a tiny range of lenses.

I was surprised they went down Sony's route with 24-70 f4 first. I think Panasonic and Canon did the right thing with first releasing the 24-105mm f4 as kit option.

Voigtlander has announced VM-Z adapter and VM-Z close focus adapter. They also announced an e-mount to z-mount adapter (but with no electronic communication)

Last edited:
this shows the crisp detail fading away quite nicely. The f2.8 should give a bit more DoF control than the f4 Nikon 14-30 (same min. focus distance) though the actual nature of the bokeh of the latter is tbd. Glad you're enjoying this lens anyway, Stephen -- it's certainly on my uwa shortlist. Have you made it to the Lakes then?
Monday is when we go up. To recover from the ravages and disappointments of our non-move!

Whilst I am sure they have their own sound reasons, I'm surprised they've not first released a native mount, reasonably priced, tele zoom. Something in line with the philosophy of their present 24-70 f4 ie, smallish, lightish, and excellent IQ.

Yes I agree. I see there is a 70-200 F2.8 due for release this year but I dread to think what price it will be...

the newish 70-300 AF-P is excellent and a complete bargain for the €499 (£427) I paid for it. I confess to being curious whether Nikon will release an Z mount version of this or will they prefer a 70-200 f4 which could be a good compromise for those who don't want to lug around the enormous-looking f2.8 lens. To be frank, I'd have expected a 70-200 f4 to be among the first releases as it would fit in well with them.

the newish 70-300 AF-P is excellent and a complete bargain for the €499 (£427) I paid for it. I confess to being curious whether Nikon will release an Z mount version of this or will they prefer a 70-200 f4 which could be a good compromise for those who don't want to lug around the enormous-looking f2.8 lens. To be frank, I'd have expected a 70-200 f4 to be among the first releases as it would fit in well with them.

I would be more than happy with a 70-200 F4 version if size is reduced as per the 24-70 F4.. It would suit my needs admirably.

Models of next 5 Z lenses - http://www.nikoneye.com/first-images-of-the-new-2020-nikon-z-lenses/

So nikon has not go down canon's route for the 70-200mm/2.8 i.e. its a good old fashioned big 70-200/2.8.
I like the look of that 20mm f1.8 but the 50/1.2 look HUGE!

Also keeping with the zoom at the front of the 70-200 2.8, much like the ED version. That’s not really what I was hoping to see.

TBH it looks like the ED version I had on the D750 with the FTZ adaptor attached!

Last edited:
I’ve seen a few YouTube comparisons recently and the Z6 is coming out on top of the A7iii in most of them, which I found surprising.

I think it’s too close to call. There are plenty of reviews out there saying the opposite to.

I guess it’s all down to what the reviewers see as the stronger points or what they look for in IQ, I’m not sure!

I’m hoping that later down the line Nikon bring out a D500 type Z camera, but I’m not sure if that’s anything they are targeting.

I was surprised they went down Sony's route with 24-70 f4 first. I think Panasonic and Canon did the right thing with first releasing the 24-105mm f4 as kit option.

Honestly I think Nikon have been potentially smarter there, the 24-70mm range has allowed them to make a lens that's genuinely compact compared to the Sony and Canon 24-105mm's, As with their smaller primes as well they seem to be treating it as an "end point" release rather than something with compromised performance you upgrade from for people who don't want anything larger.

Perhaps that's part of the reason the 24-70mm F/2.8 hasn't got as much hype? people not feeling the need to upgrade and Z buyers generally being after more compact options like the 14-30mm. I ended up taking the easier/cheaper route in the end and getting a D850 as ultimately I preffer the larger size for most of my serious use but if I had bought a Z camera(don't rule out potentially getting s Z6 for travel use in the future) the 24-70mm and especially the 14-30mm F/4 lenses would have been the big attraction.

Just out of curiosity, what size filter ring adaptor would the 24-70mm kit lens use?

I'm seriously considering selling my d750 and 24-70 f2.8 to fund one of these z6's

my colleague has had great results shooting sports with the z6 already, combined with the Nikkor 70-200. he's pleasantly surprised.

I’m doing a netball match on Thursday, I’m going to try the Z6 out on it.

I was messing with the ISO today, started at 100 then matched shutter speed as I went up the iso scale, it’s incredible how good it is, even at 20000+ So a netball match, indoors under awful lighting should yield some interesting results.

Hi All

I'd be really interested and grateful for the opinions of some of you Z6 owners who have used the Fuji X system in the past or present. I am unashamedly attacked by GAS and have been looking at either upgrading my XT2 to an XT3 or going FF with a Z6 (Sony ergo has been tried and discounted).

I mainly shoot candid portraits and 'reportage' with a 56 and 23 respectively. A lot of this is done indoors so low(ish) light performance is paramount. I rarely shoot anything fast so CAF, whilst nice, probably isn't high on my list of priorities. Video isn't something of significant interest.

Therein lies my dilemma - the XT3 seems to be an upgrade in CAF, speed and video but seems to be taking step 'back' on higher ISO performance. Just pondering if the Z6 and FF might be a better fit? Switching to Nikon would require starting over as I have never had this system before.

Of course Mrs S may weigh in an cure the GAS but if any of you have time to proffer opinions or feedback it would be great.

Hi All

I'd be really interested and grateful for the opinions of some of you Z6 owners who have used the Fuji X system in the past or present. I am unashamedly attacked by GAS and have been looking at either upgrading my XT2 to an XT3 or going FF with a Z6 (Sony ergo has been tried and discounted).

I mainly shoot candid portraits and 'reportage' with a 56 and 23 respectively. A lot of this is done indoors so low(ish) light performance is paramount. I rarely shoot anything fast so CAF, whilst nice, probably isn't high on my list of priorities. Video isn't something of significant interest.

Therein lies my dilemma - the XT3 seems to be an upgrade in CAF, speed and video but seems to be taking step 'back' on higher ISO performance. Just pondering if the Z6 and FF might be a better fit? Switching to Nikon would require starting over as I have never had this system before.

Of course Mrs S may weigh in an cure the GAS but if any of you have time to proffer opinions or feedback it would be great.

Yep, both me @Stephen L are previous Fuji owners.
It was the high ISO handling that prompted me to move. I'm finding the Z a big improvement here. Autofocus is better than expected, although as you rightly surmise the AF-C needs improvement. Nikon will release a Firmware update probably May, we'll see what that brings.
I've got the Kit 24-70 along with native 35 and 50mm primes. I've used Sigma 35 and 85 along with Nikon 70-200 with the FTZ adapter. They perform perfectly well.
Very very happy with the camera.

Thanks Trevor - yes I'd read that firmware will be updated in the near future. Will be interesting to see what that brings and whether Nikon take the Fuji approach to refining their kit post launch.

It's really tempting to go and handle one but I just know that shiny new kit in the hand obscures objectivity!

I haven’t used my Fuji kit since I bought the Z. I will have more opportunities when we move. Nikon 85mm 1.8 is due later this year so you might be best waiting if you shoot a lot of portraits.

Back