Nikon Z* mirrorless

I am a past and present Fuji owner. Unlike Trevor and Stephen, I have not dived straight in but am currently monitoring the Z6 and X-Pro2 side by side. The first thing is that the X-T3 only gets an increase, from everything I can see, in shadow speckled noise at ISO 25600 and 51200 so if you don't go that high (and 256 is not much fun in low light on the Fuji), the the T3 sensor should be at least as good as the T2. At high ISO, the Z6 is better -- certainly when taking into account the typical 2/3 stop better light sensitivity of Nikon at the same ISO -- but I find it's the colour integrity rather than specifically noise which is the greatest beneficiary. In more normal lighting conditions the Nikon gives overall better clarity to the images and AF-S is more reliable, though the X-T3 might close or even eliminate the gap. AF-C doesn't seem a priority and of course we have no idea how much it will improve come May anyway.

Other positives for the Z6 system are the excellent EVF, most aspects of haptics (although of course you have to decide this for yourself) and don't forget about the IBIS which gives at least 3 stops in most situations.

Yes, I went from having used the family tree of Fuji to the Z6. I found that my Fuji kit was getting larger and heavier, plus I was beginning to see definite iq improvements of the so-called “full frame” cameras. Bit the bullet and went Z6. Not used it too much yet, but already the files seem crisper. Might be a case of emperors new clothes, but I’m happy so far.

to get the sort of quality and flexibility I was looking for, I was also finding Fuji getting almost as heavy as Nikon mirrorless. I think the IQ improvements are real -- I'm just trying to see if there are any show-stopping disadvantages. None seen so far! To get close to matching Nikon on features, I'd need an X-H1 in Fujiland which isn't even the newest technology and I'd bet the X-H2 will cost as much as the Z6 when it sees the light of day. If you want cheap lenses for Nikon, you can get them or you can surpass the quality of most Fuji lenses with the developing S range and pay a bit more.

You guys have bent my arm (plus the images/info on Flickr & FB pages), placed my order with Panamoz earlier today, went for the Z6, FTZ, 24-70mm, 120GB card, spare battery and a spare card for @trevorbray

Happy days!

Done this a bit backward though lol, I should have waited for the D750, 24-70mm and 35mm F2 to sell first but hey ho!

I received my kit this morning from Panamoz, their service really is second to none.

I do have one issue though. When I opened the FTZ adapter there was a tiny spring loose in the adapter, see attached pics.

I have checked with my 24-70 G and it still works fine so not sure where it is from.

I messaged Panamoz and they are sending me another one.

Any ideas what it could be?

Attachments

• IMG_20190307_091418 [50%].jpg
    IMG_20190307_091418 [50%].jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20190307_091428 [50%].jpg
    IMG_20190307_091428 [50%].jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 51
I received my kit this morning from Panamoz, their service really is second to none.

I do have one issue though. When I opened the FTZ adapter there was a tiny spring loose in the adapter, see attached pics.

I have checked with my 24-70 G and it still works fine so not sure where it is from.

I messaged Panamoz and they are sending me another one.

Any ideas what it could be?
Couldn’t say. Perhaps it’s from the lens release button of the adapter? You’ve made me jealous - there was no spare spring with mine!

Couldn’t say. Perhaps it’s from the lens release button of the adapter? You’ve made me jealous - there was no spare spring with mine!
Lol.

I tried it and the lens release works fine, please can someone tell me if the part I have circled (aperture control) in the attached picture is spring loaded as mine is not.

Attachments

• IMG_20190307_091418 [50%].jpg
    IMG_20190307_091418 [50%].jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 34
Lol.

I tried it and the lens release works fine, please can someone tell me if the part I have circled (aperture control) in the attached picture is spring loaded as mine is not.
No, mine isn't sprung, stays in place if you move it. I can't see anywhere that a spring could have come from either, maybe it's been dropped in accidentally at some stage of the packing process?

No, mine isn't sprung, stays in place if you move it. I can't see anywhere that a spring could have come from either, maybe it's been dropped in accidentally at some stage of the packing process?
Thanks for checking Keith, I may well have a spare FTZ :)

Anyone with the Z6 also own a D500? Just wondering how the focus speed/accuracy compares - looking for a second body to go with my D850 mainly to use with a 200-500.

Anyone with the Z6 also own a D500? Just wondering how the focus speed/accuracy compares - looking for a second body to go with my D850 mainly to use with a 200-500.

I do. The Z is adequate for most static situations. when AF-C is required the D500 smokes it. If you’re shooting sport or wildlife stick with D500.
Firmware for the Z will update in May. Things may change.

I do. The Z is adequate for most static situations. when AF-C is required the D500 smokes it. If you’re shooting sport or wildlife stick with D500.
Firmware for the Z will update in May. Things may change.

Thanks for your reply - pretty much in line with what others have told me so will probably be a D500 (although the Z6 is a nice bit of kit).

Thanks for your reply - pretty much in line with what others have told me so will probably be a D500 (although the Z6 is a nice bit of kit).
Or use the D850 in DX mode and save the additional weight. ;)

Wow, that came really quickly. I'm also considering panamoz but thre is also a seller on eBay that is doing them a few hundred cheaper, I have a doubt in my mind about the warranty and if they were to go bust ect.

Wow, that came really quickly. I'm also considering panamoz but thre is also a seller on eBay that is doing them a few hundred cheaper, I have a doubt in my mind about the warranty and if they were to go bust ect.
Panamoz was really quick for me too. It would have been 2 days, but the transfer from Germany (where the HK UPS flights go into) to East Midlands airfield was delayed by a day due to bad weather.

I have been using them for years, purchased my D750 and Sigma 35mm art around 4 years ago, simply hassle free and reply to emails instantly.

I must be being stupid, but how do you switch automatic sensor cleaning on? Whatever I do, it just shows it as being off.

I'm torn between the z6 and the z7 at the moment. The extra pixels of the z7 is very tempting for the extra outlay even though I won't need them.

I'm torn between the z6 and the z7 at the moment. The extra pixels of the z7 is very tempting for the extra outlay even though I won't need them.
Me too.
I'm not pro or anything but more a keen, still learning, amateur.
I do love landscapes though so wonder if I would appreciate the difference of the extra pixels

Me too.
I'm not pro or anything but more a keen, still learning, amateur.
I do love landscapes though so wonder if I would appreciate the difference of the extra pixels
I went from the D750 to D850 and I don’t think you do unless looking at 1:1 and/or cropping heavily. The biggest advantage of the D850 over the D750 in terms of sharpness was the lack of AA filter imo.

it seems our little band seems in general quite happy with our new acquisition!

I have to confess I just took delivery of a Nikon 50mm f1.2 AIS. Until the S version comes out at three times the size, weight and price (probably more than three times the price), it remains Nikon's fastest lens and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about from its band of fanatical admirers. I got it from ebay from someone in England who until recently had an X-Pro2 and a Nikon system but has now sold everything to go Leica analogue only! Nikon also must think highly of the lens as it is still in production. The bokeh is the huge appeal as it can do just about every imaginable type, unlike modern lenses tend to be either "nervous" or smooth but often somewhat bland. Inital tests show edge to edge razor sharpness in middle apertures for landscapes as well. MF at f1.2 is perfectly doable with the Z6, despite the dreamy rendering at this aperture. I may find I won't even need the S 50mm f1.8 but it's early days. Will post if I manage to take anything interesting with it.

it seems our little band seems in general quite happy with our new acquisition!

I have to confess I just took delivery of a Nikon 50mm f1.2 AIS. Until the S version comes out at three times the size, weight and price (probably more than three times the price), it remains Nikon's fastest lens and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about from its band of fanatical admirers. I got it from ebay from someone in England who until recently had an X-Pro2 and a Nikon system but has now sold everything to go Leica analogue only! Nikon also must think highly of the lens as it is still in production. The bokeh is the huge appeal as it can do just about every imaginable type, unlike modern lenses tend to be either "nervous" or smooth but often somewhat bland. Inital tests show edge to edge razor sharpness in middle apertures for landscapes as well. MF at f1.2 is perfectly doable with the Z6, despite the dreamy rendering at this aperture. I may find I won't even need the S 50mm f1.8 but it's early days. Will post if I manage to take anything interesting with it.
Must admit I am tempted by something like this, but I don't want to restart on the slippery slope of buying lenses. However, I must get round to trying my 50mm f1.7 Pentax on it. I have the adapter ...

Must admit I am tempted by something like this, but I don't want to restart on the slippery slope of buying lenses. However, I must get round to trying my 50mm f1.7 Pentax on it. I have the adapter ...
your Pentax tele looked pretty good so certainly try this out! I expect my Nikon f1.8 AIS (better than the plasticy AF versions) will now become redundant and offered for sale but I'll need to check it doesn't have anything specific of value not covered by the f1.2. At £295 (incl p&p to Germany), the newcomer was below the average selling price but I had a considerably more expensive 35mm f.14 AIS once with wonderful swirly bokeh. I may find that I don't need any other lens at all for the Z6 (famous last words) other than an UWA zoom in due course.

What are people using in the 70mm + range on their Z body?

I have a 70-200mm 2.8 with FTZ but it is a monster (see attached pic of it next to the 24-70 f4 S) on there and it is difficult to hold for long periods and not practical at all.

Looking for an alternative if anyone has a suggestion.

I wonder what the weight of the 70-200 2.8 S lens will be?

Attachments

• IMG_20190307_181140 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_20190307_181140 (Copy).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 48
Yes, I went from having used the family tree of Fuji to the Z6. I found that my Fuji kit was getting larger and heavier, plus I was beginning to see definite iq improvements of the so-called “full frame” cameras. Bit the bullet and went Z6. Not used it too much yet, but already the files seem crisper. Might be a case of emperors new clothes, but I’m happy so far.
:D Didn’t see that coming

Quandary time. I’ve preordered the14-30

But..I fancy the Siggy 14-24

I know it’s bloody heavy..should I just wait for native z mount. ?
It’s much lighter..but it’s f4

I Fancy the creative possibilities of large aperture.

Probably not going to be an easy answer.
Wish I had a similar quandary,mine is no money for either,lol

What are people using in the 70mm + range on their Z body?

I have a 70-200mm 2.8 with FTZ but it is a monster (see attached pic of it next to the 24-70 f4 S) on there and it is difficult to hold for long periods and not practical at all.

Looking for an alternative if anyone has a suggestion.

I wonder what the weight of the 70-200 2.8 S lens will be?

Don’t know much about Z mount 70-200. I would think they’ll leave out inbuilt vr. But it’s 2.8. Expect to be a bit of a lump.

Back