Nikon Z* mirrorless

Out for my second try with the Z6 today and after changing a few settings to make the AF snappier, including some video ones bizarrely, it was much better. I would go as far to say it was usable and pretty decent but still need to practice on the lag. The eye af is a non starter for a charging black lab but I knew that would be the case. It works really well for walking humans though and I was also really impressed by the video output even though I didn't have much a clue of what I was doing.

Attachments

• _D611005.jpg
    _D611005.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 30
Wide area tries to select the closest object within the both. Dynamic goes for the centre point and uses those surrounding it to help out. In your scenario I would have thought manual focus to start with might be the easiest way and then dynamic when the bird took off.
Yes I ususually had to move the focus manually of it did this and locked too far or move lens down to larger close object and then back, only the WIDE L seemed to work when testing the WIDE S did not act the same, will see how it works in practice today if I go out in the snow we have had overnight

Out for my second try with the Z6 today and after changing a few settings to make the AF snappier, including some video ones bizarrely, it was much better. I would go as far to say it was usable and pretty decent but still need to practice on the lag. The eye af is a non starter for a charging black lab but I knew that would be the case. It works really well for walking humans though and I was also really impressed by the video output even though I didn't have much a clue of what I was doing.

I've had great success shooting my crazy dog using the original Z6 and the 70-200 VR2 and 300/2.8 AF-S II.
Here's an album with those photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157706365176231/with/49369262197/
I've also included a whole series of 20+ photos of my dog running towards me. Out of all those photos only 3 or 4 were out of focus. I usually use Wide-S with 12 FPS mode.
If you have any specific questions let me know.

I've had great success shooting my crazy dog using the original Z6 and the 70-200 VR2 and 300/2.8 AF-S II.
Here's an album with those photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157706365176231/with/49369262197/
I've also included a whole series of 20+ photos of my dog running towards me. Out of all those photos only 3 or 4 were out of focus. I usually use Wide-S with 12 FPS mode.
If you have any specific questions let me know.
Cheers, your images were one of the reasons I decided on the Z6. I haven't tried wide small so will give that a go next time out. I have the 400mm F2.8 version of your 300mm and I haven't tried that yet.

Annoying morning with the Z6ii today. So many failed shots due to eye-af and all the other auto af modes. Did get plenty of decent shots once I gave up and went to single point.

DSC_0777.jpg

Ouch!

Was just about ready to pull the trigger on the 14-30 lens only to find the price has leapt up a couple of hundred quid. I think it’ll go on the back burner again for a while in case (in hope) of another price drop/sale.

A recent piccie just for good measure. Z5 + 24-70

Sunlight Through The Clouds
by Jason, on Flickr

Ouch!

Was just about ready to pull the trigger on the 14-30 lens only to find the price has leapt up a couple of hundred quid. I think it’ll go on the back burner again for a while in case (in hope) of another price drop/sale.
Efinity price at almost half of UK prices is looking very tempting for me at the moment.

I’ve bought a few lenses (and my z6) from them over the years, and have always had faultless service!

I’ve bought a few lenses (and my z6) from them over the years, and have always had faultless service!
The only think stopping me from pulling the trigger on one is I wanted to sort a telephoto first but I can't see this price lasting much longer. I'm telling myself it would be saving money, ultimately.

I took the plunge over a year ago trading in all my Nikon DSLR's and going Nikon mirrorless and haven't regretted it for a moment, but like you I'm still waiting for the native Z longer wildlife lenses (the 100-400 and the 200-600). But in the meantime I have my Olympus kit with the stunning 300mm F4 (600mm Equiv FL), which will do me for now.

Awesome sky. The 24-70f4 is a mega lens, punches well above it‘s price tag.
Thanks, it really was a awesome sky. Correct and at £510 new I'm not complaining [emoji16]

Last edited:
Connected my Z6 to the laptop today to use the Nikon webcam utility for the first time.
Was quite impressed with the image quality and face detection using the 24-70 f4.
Just a shame there's no constant power delivery to the Z6, as I'll be limited to the single battery.
Anyone know roughly how long you'd get from a single battery using it for webcam?
As I've to do a talk next week and would love to use the Z6 as my laptop has a 0.3mp camera lol.

Last edited:
Took the Z6ii out with the70-200s this morning as I walked the puppy as I've seen a cormorant near the pond we walk by a couple of times and it was there this morning. I really need that 2x convertor as this is a fairly heavy crop of the full image. Happy to have something though as it's not easy getting a shot with a puppy pulling at the lead round your wrist
1f923.png

200mm 1/200s @ f2.8

DSC_0935.jpg

Connected my Z6 to the laptop today to use the Nikon webcam utility for the first time.
Was quite impressed with the image quality and face detection using the 24-70 f4.
Just a shame there's no constant power delivery to the Z6, as I'll be limited to the single battery.
Anyone know roughly how long you'd get from a single battery using it for webcam?
As I've to do a talk next week and would love to use the Z6 as my laptop has a 0.3mp camera lol.

Is the webcam utility compatible with macs?

Anyone able to say how long does the battery last on the z6ii and z7ii in the real world? I know Nikon quote 420 shots on the z7 ii but not sure how it translates to real world use
Watch this, it's time lapse testing the battery and gives shots for the battery. Would give a bit of an idea how many.
View: https://youtu.be/3uI-mQK9-UM

Just placed an order for the Z7II. Having came from a D850 to my current Z6, I've missed the cropping power the higher megapixels gives. I'm also looking forward getting the best out of the glass. Anyone shooting with the Z7II? General thoughts?
Not yet but love my Z7 at some point will upgrade I’m sure

For the lock on to the eye when dof means the face is in focus like before, then yes.
But it makes it look like the other eye/face tracking from other manufacturers.
It does look to pick up face/eye focus quicker and further away so that has got to be an improvement in that area.

This is the issue for me, looking like the other manufacturers doesn't equal as good as.

This is the issue for me, looking like the other manufacturers doesn't equal as good as.
If you look at many of the head to head tests with other manufacturers. They base the results on distance from camera(which looks to be improved in this update) and if it picks the eye rather than the face and for how much longer before resorting to the face tracking box. So to tell if it's actually any better you'd have to compare side by side and inspect the resulting images. It could well be a competing update.

Last edited:
If you look at many of the head to head tests with other manufacturers. They base the results on distance from camera(which looks to be improved in this update) and if it picks the eye rather than the face and for how much longer before resorting to the face tracking box. So to tell if it's actually any better you'd have to compare side by side and inspect the resulting images. It could well be a competing update.

Now I have an R5 to play with for a couple of days for me the difference is night and day. It's not about how far away the eye is detected, it's how many shots are then in focus when you go back and review

Nikon obviously have some improvements still to come in this and future gen cameras, but not sure if the comparison to an R5 is going to be fair? It costs over double the price of the Z6II, and 50% more than a Z7II - they’d both be the bargain of the century if they were comparable!

Canon and Sony have set very high bars with their recent mirrorless offerings, it’ll be interesting to see what Nikon can pull out of the bag for the Z8/z9/whatever the next high-end one is called!

Nikon obviously have some improvements still to come in this and future gen cameras, but not sure if the comparison to an R5 is going to be fair? It costs over double the price of the Z6II, and 50% more than a Z7II - they’d both be the bargain of the century if they were comparable!

Canon and Sony have set very high bars with their recent mirrorless offerings, it’ll be interesting to see what Nikon can pull out of the bag for the Z8/z9/whatever the next high-end one is called!

I'm purely interested in the shooting experience and the AF. However the R6 isn't that much more than the Z6ii and has the same AF I understand as the R5. I don't need or want any of the enhanced video features or higher FPS shooting, which is where quite a lot of the extra cost of the R5 is coming from.

BTW honestly it's soooo close between the two one everything but AF. Canon have put in a few potentially really cool features but then not quite got them right enough to be truly useful

Now I have an R5 to play with for a couple of days for me the difference is night and day. It's not about how far away the eye is detected, it's how many shots are then in focus when you go back and review
The R5 does look like an impressive beast. More than I'd like to spend but certainly a great marker for Nikon to compete against with a new camera release in that price range.
To warrant spending so much on a camera I'd need to be either shooting a lot more than normally or making money from it, neither of which is likely to happen anytime soon.
Hopefully we'll see in-depth reviews soon showing some improvements.

Back