Nikon Z* mirrorless

I'm looking at purchasing a z6 with the kit lens and ftz adaptor in the next week or two. Is there any recommendations of where to pick up a good deal with one of these?

I've recently been keeping an eye on panamoz and i have noticed they have discounted it by £40 over the last week. Is there any other company's worth considering or do I need to wait a few more weeks for another reduction starting at the new financial year?

it was just with me reading that the will be coming down soon after the initial launch made me think I was missing out on a vital piece of information.

Panamoz it is then as I have only heard good reports from there services. At the moment I'm torn between the 32gb and the 64gb xqd cards. My theory is i don't fill a 32gb sd card on my d750 when out in the field so I thought it better to get two 32gb cards for the price of one 64gb xqd card. At least then I have the option to swap cards if I need more space or in the unliklyhood that one fails.....

it was just with me reading that the will be coming down soon after the initial launch made me think I was missing out on a vital piece of information.

Panamoz it is then as I have only heard good reports from there services. At the moment I'm torn between the 32gb and the 64gb xqd cards. My theory is i don't fill a 32gb sd card on my d750 when out in the field so I thought it better to get two 32gb cards for the price of one 64gb xqd card. At least then I have the option to swap cards if I need more space or in the unliklyhood that one fails.....
Incidentally, I don't know if it means anything, but I was able to register my Z6 kit on Nikon's UK site after buying it through Panamoz.

Incidentally, I don't know if it means anything, but I was able to register my Z6 kit on Nikon's UK site after buying it through Panamoz.
It doesn't, you can register anything on Nikon's site but it won't mean a bean if it isn't 'correct'.

If you have a problem with any Item from Panamoz you just get an estimate for repair and send it to them and get paid same day
Their terms for my item was simply to send it to Nikon for repair. Not that I've ever needed to invoke a warranty claim for any of my cameras going back to the 70's! (unless you count me knocking off an eyecup from my X-Pro2, which was repaired by Fuji FoC)

I'm looking at purchasing a z6 with the kit lens and ftz adaptor in the next week or two. Is there any recommendations of where to pick up a good deal with one of these?

I've recently been keeping an eye on panamoz and i have noticed they have discounted it by £40 over the last week. Is there any other company's worth considering or do I need to wait a few more weeks for another reduction starting at the new financial year?

You can have a look at these guys as well.

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/

That’s where I got my z6, FTZ, and 24-70 from. Fast delivery and the price was great!

Well, as I off loaded my 2nd Fuji X-H1 body and some lenses recently, I've been watching the prices on the Z series slowly drop. Anyway, I've bitten the bullet and ordered the Z6 kit (with 24-70 and FTZ adaptor) from Panamoz, complete with a spare battery and a 240GB XQD card. Just had notification that it's shipped so should be with me in a week or so. Yes, I know...I know :p:p

Whilst I'm waiting a couple of questions please.

I still have my Nikon EN-EL15 batteries from my Nikon D500 (my spare ones). Am I right in assuming that these will work on the Z6 and that the only difference between these and the newer EN-EL15 B ones that come with the camera, is that the "B" revision ones can charge via USB in camera, whereas the older ones for the D500 have to be charged in the charger only ?

I'm going to build a bit of a minimalist kit around the Z6 and not go too mad. I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand F mount Nikon 50mm F1.4 AFS, as the Z series 50mm F1.8 is nearly £500 and the F mount version (even with the FTZ adaptor) is smaller. I'd love to get the Z 14-30 when it's launched to cover the wide angle end (I'll have to see how funds are doing at the time). But what about telephoto ? The announced 70-200 F2.8 is no doubt very pricey and big, and TBH, I don't need F2.8. Are there any other options (in say the classic 70-200 / 70-300) that's more budget friendly that works well with the FTZ and the Z6 and delviers decent optical performance ?

Last edited:
Well, as I off loaded my 2nd Fuji X-H1 body and some lenses recently, I've been watching the prices on the Z series slowly drop. Anyway, I've bitten the bullet and ordered the Z6 kit (with 24-70 and FTZ adaptor) from Panamoz, complete with a spare battery and a 240GB XQD card. Just had notification that it's shipped so should be with me in a week or so. Yes, I know...I know :p:p

Whilst I'm waiting a couple of questions please.

I still have my Nikon EN-EL15 batteries from my Nikon D500 (my spare ones). Am I right in assuming that these will work on the Z6 and that the only difference between these and the newer EN-EL15 B ones that come with the camera, is that the "B" revision ones can charge via USB in camera, whereas the older ones for the D500 have to be charged in the charger only ?

I'm going to build a bit of a minimalist kit around the Z6 and not go too mad. I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand F mount Nikon 50mm F1.4 AFS, as the Z series 50mm F1.8 is nearly £500 and the F mount version (even with the FTZ adaptor) is smaller. I'd love to get the Z 14-30 when it's launched to cover the wide angle end (I'll have to see how funds are doing at the time). But what about telephoto ? The announced 70-200 F2.8 is no doubt very pricey and big, and TBH, I don't need F2.8. Are there any other options (in say the classic 70-200 / 70-300) that's more budget friendly that works well with the FTZ and the Z6 and delviers decent optical performance ?
That's some size of memory card!

Regarding the batteries - yes that's my understanding.

I presume you want the 50mm because of the wide aperture? Sound idea, because the viewfinder is so much brighter than any other mirrorless I've seen which makes manual focus a doddle.

The telephoto end is my quandary also. I don't want to spend so much on something I use so little; at the moment I'm using a 135mm Pentax lens which is OK but a little flat. I may look at Nikon manual options for that length.

From memory the older batteries are usable but don’t last as long. Not sure about charging in camera, I never do it.
I use 70-300 AF-P FX and it marries very well IMO. Very quick to focus and nice sharp images. Also balances well with adapter on the Z.

@Sootchucker

Nice one. The native 50 is expensive. But a super lens.
I bought a 70-200 vr2 for mine. Used it once and moved it on. Felt a bit massive. Actually don’t shoot longer than 70mm.
May one day consider the af-p 70-300 for occasional use.
Got the 14-30 on preorder.

As above re the batteries. I’ve probably been using the wrong wire, but usb charging is mega slow.

70-200, I have a Tamron G2 and it’s very good. Quick, sharp, and a lot less expensive than a Nikon. Works well with the ftz

@Sootchucker

Nice one. The native 50 is expensive. But a super lens.
I bought a 70-200 vr2 for mine. Used it once and moved it on. Felt a bit massive. Actually don’t shoot longer than 70mm.
May one day consider the af-p 70-300 for occasional use.
Got the 14-30 on preorder.

I just bought one from Amazon for £345. I already had one I bought last week for £515 from the same place. I returned it and bought again straight away and got the £170 saving. Nice lens for the price for wandering around the zoo etc :)

really...? I've just been on Amazon and the Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR Lens is £519.00

The DX Version (Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR) is £329.00

Which one did you get please ?

really...? I've just been on Amazon and the Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR Lens is £519.00

Yeah the 70-300 AF-P was on offer last week at £345 meant to be a great lens. Its a Full Frame lens, the one at £329 is for APS-C only.

Last edited:

I got the Full Frame AF-P version...

Is there any recommendations for a G series xqd card reader?

Many thanks for both of the above. I will get this on the list for the new setup :ty:

Can anyone comment on the autofocus of the Z lenses versus non-Z lenses using the adapter?

I've been using the 70-200mm VRII (which I love) and when it's in focus, it's bang on...
BUT...
It really hunts a lot, to the point where I've missed shots while it's faffing about. It's a real problem and I'm wondering if this will be the case for any lens used via the adapter, or whether there's something wrong with my lens (I don't think so), or camera, or adapter?

Sorry if this is an idiotic question!

Can anyone comment on the autofocus of the Z lenses versus non-Z lenses using the adapter?

I've been using the 70-200mm VRII (which I love) and when it's in focus, it's bang on...
BUT...
It really hunts a lot, to the point where I've missed shots while it's faffing about. It's a real problem and I'm wondering if this will be the case for any lens used via the adapter, or whether there's something wrong with my lens (I don't think so), or camera, or adapter?

Sorry if this is an idiotic question!
The Tamron 17-35 via the FTZ focusses “nearly “ as quickly as the native 24-70, but it’s not really a fair comparison as I don’t know how the Tamron performs in its natural environment.

Just took delivery of my Z6 kit with 24-70 and FTZ adaptor early this morning, and early signs are very encouraging.

One thing though, coming from a long line of Nikon DSLR's (most recently D750, D810, D500), that's the deal with the virtual horizon ?

Getting that up on screen completely covers the view and stops you from seeing what you are shooting. It seems to be the same one that used to appear on the Live View mode on the rear LCD of the above cameras, but when looking though the viewfinder (albeit an optical one), you had a series of dashes on the screen which showed you where the horizontal line was and didn't take up loads of real estate.

I also shoot Olympus (Micro Four Thirds) and Fuji (APS-C) and both of these systems has a much better implementation of a virtual horizon that doesn't block the screen. Am I missing something or a hidden setting ?

Also, why for god sake is there no option to have the histogram on screen at the same time as a virtual horizon (like every other camera system).

Anyone else noticed or struggling with these ?

Also, why for god sake is there no option to have the histogram on screen at the same time as a virtual horizon (like every other camera system).

My Panasonic MFT allow the histogram and the level to be active together but my Sony A7 doesn't and if I have one I have to toggle the display button to see the other. It's both stupid and annoying IMO.

Is anyone using old manual lenses on their new mirrorless Nikons?

I have a few pre ai Nippon Kogaku primes and they're lovely to use on my Sony and having the historical link there between Nikon lenses and the camera would be nice.

Last edited:
I use VH when tripod shooting and flick it off and on using the display button. It's similar to the D750 implementation, i.e. not very good.
Hopefully they will address this in a firmware update.

Just took delivery of my Z6 kit with 24-70 and FTZ adaptor early this morning, and early signs are very encouraging.

One thing though, coming from a long line of Nikon DSLR's (most recently D750, D810, D500), that's the deal with the virtual horizon ?

Getting that up on screen completely covers the view and stops you from seeing what you are shooting. It seems to be the same one that used to appear on the Live View mode on the rear LCD of the above cameras, but when looking though the viewfinder (albeit an optical one), you had a series of dashes on the screen which showed you where the horizontal line was and didn't take up loads of real estate.

I also shoot Olympus (Micro Four Thirds) and Fuji (APS-C) and both of these systems has a much better implementation of a virtual horizon that doesn't block the screen. Am I missing something or a hidden setting ?

It's an embuggerance to be sure. But at least the button to toggle it is handy.

Is anyone using old manual lenses on their new mirrorless Nikons?

I have a few pre ai Nippon Kogaku primes and they're lovely to use on my Sony and having the historical link there between Nikon lenses and the camera would be nice.

I recently bought the Nikon 50mm f1.2 AIS. This is particularly for the weird and wonderful range of bokeh you can get but it's looking almost as sharp as the native Z lenses above about f4 for landscapes though with a different character. The newest coatings certainly render with a brilliance not found on older lenses but sometimes you want something else.

Last edited:
Back