Nikon Z* mirrorless

The description says Eye AF and more. It’s on Nikon Europe/Asia YouTube.

Probably AE in Hi+ and AFC improvements as the previous press release. Unless they added anything else to this release.
Looks good, although impressed already with 50mm and dynamic AFC.

OMG !!!

Just watched the Graysofwestminster video unboxing the 24-70 f2.8

Hadn’t realised I WANT it so much. Absolutely no NEED for it

Help....

I rarely use a zoom.

When I shot equestrian the 70-200 and 28-70 f2.8 were my weapons of choice.

OMG !!!

Help....

I rarely use a zoom.

I can't find that vid... do you have a link?

OMG !!!

Help....

I rarely use a zoom.

Shhhhh, I'm trying to move away from big heavy lenses ;)

24-70 f2.8

£1980 @ Panamoz

It looks like a great lens...the reviews suggest the same as well. Out of my budget though...the f4 will have to do :)

I'm curious if Nikon plan to release a remake of the 200-500 in the Z mount as well. It would seem to be inline with their lens strategy so far...

It looks like a great lens...the reviews suggest the same as well. Out of my budget though...the f4 will have to do :)

I'm curious if Nikon plan to release a remake of the 200-500 in the Z mount as well. It would seem to be inline with their lens strategy so far...
I wonder if they’ll do a 100-400mm in line with Sony and more in keeping with the mirrorless strategy (in theory) of a smaller package.

The 24-70mm f2.8 is a crazy price, I’m struggling to get my head around the current market. Yes I know they need to recoup R&D costs but still, these latest gen lenses are outside of my radar.

You'd think that Gray's would manage to get their vid in focus a bit better!!
I'd still like the 2.8 anyway so i guess it doesn't matter! ;-)
I’d love to buy from Grays, but I struggle to navigate their web site. Is it just me?

I’d love to buy from Grays, but I struggle to navigate their web site. Is it just me?
I don’t struggle to navigate it but it’s not a very good website imo. Not very well laid out and looks extremely old fashioned.

my reason for moving back to "full frame" was because Nikon have managed to produce lenses which are are not that much bigger, heavier or more expensive than my (ex) equivalent Fujis. A 24-70 f2.8 would defeat the whole purpose. To my current 24-70 f4 S, 70-300 AF-P, 50mm f1.2 AIS, I really only need the 14-30 but am quite happy to wait until the price comes down or the unlikely chance of getting one 2nd hand.

Sweet, let us know how it performs.
Will do!

Im shooting a cinema refurbishment on Tuesday... I gave up doing this photography lark as a business a few months ago but still do occasional jobs for favourite old clients, this is the fourth cinema refurb I will have shot for them. Many of the ultra wide internals I will shoot with my Irix 11mm but I expect this little feller will be on for a fair number of them too. (y)

Will do!

Im shooting a cinema refurbishment on Tuesday... I gave up doing this photography lark as a business a few months ago but still do occasional jobs for favourite old clients, this is the fourth cinema refurb I will have shot for them. Many of the ultra wide internals I will shoot with my Irix 11mm but I expect this little feller will be on for a fair number of them too. (y)

Can't wait.

With the poor old 24-70 f4 lens. Don't know how I manage without the f2.8 version.

Sundial by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Enough already, I know i WANT the f2.8
But I can't afford it and the 14-30

You make very good use of the f4 version.
Must use mine more, might take my mind off the 2.8

Enough already, I know i WANT the f2.8
But I can't afford it and the 14-30

You make very good use of the f4 version.
Must use mine more, might take my mind off the 2.8
Think weight. Think bulk. That should do it. :giggle:

Think weight. Think bulk. That should do it. :giggle:

You're probably right. I well remember the 28-70 f2.8 "The Beast"
Could fight your way out of a bar with it.
I loved that lens.
Had muscles like Popeye after just a few months use.

Oh well, 24-70 sold. Just need to go for the 35mm and hopefully the 85mm will be as good when it comes out later this year and that is me set.

Absolutely bang on! What focus mode were you using?

Thanks! I actually used AF-C with Single Point there, since Dynamic was too big and would catch the other kids as well.

Thanks! I actually used AF-C with Single Point there, since Dynamic was too big and would catch the other kids as well.
I always use AF-C with single point for such things whichever camera I use tbh, for me it's always been by far the most reliable. Nice pic btw. Did you take a series, if so what percentage were in focus? The reason that I ask is that IF I do swap from the D850 to the Z series this would be the most demanding thing I take pics of these days with this setup, ie people/cyclists coming towards you.

I always use AF-C with single point for such things whichever camera I use tbh, for me it's always been by far the most reliable. Nice pic btw. Did you take a series, if so what percentage were in focus? The reason that I ask is that IF I do swap from the D850 to the Z series this would be the most demanding thing I take pics of these days with this setup, ie people/cyclists coming towards you.

I took a series of 5 photos, all of them were in focus (maybe one was slightly out)...I normally use Dynamic Area with the Z6 since it seems to work best for me....single point is sometimes hard for me to keep on a subject...

I can say I feel a lot more confident in my Z6 ability to track than my D750

Last edited:
I took a series of 5 photos, all of them were in focus (maybe one was slightly out)...I normally use Dynamic Area with the Z6 since it seems to work best for me....single point is sometimes hard for me to keep on a subject...

I can say I feel a lot more confident in my Z6 ability to track than my D750
Great, thanks for the info (y). Which 70-200mm were you using with the Z6?

I used the Nikon 70-200mm G VRII. In my opinion it works great with the Z6. I would like to test the new Sigma though...particularly at tracking. That's where I've found third party lenses to be lacking with the DSLRs....I'm curious if it's the same with Z cameras or not.

Anyone using the 85mm F1.8G with the FTZ adapter? What is it like? Tinking about picking one up until the Z 85mm comes out.

I used the Nikon 70-200mm G VRII. In my opinion it works great with the Z6. I would like to test the new Sigma though...particularly at tracking. That's where I've found third party lenses to be lacking with the DSLRs....I'm curious if it's the same with Z cameras or not.
Thanks, that's the 70-200mm that I have too so am happy to hear it works well.

Anyone using the 85mm F1.8G with the FTZ adapter? What is it like? Tinking about picking one up until the Z 85mm comes out.
I would say I'm in on this curiosity. 2nd hand copies crop up quite frequently and I would like something inexpensive with decent AF speed (otherwise I'd have probably picked up a copy of the AF-D which were going for just €170 locally (£150) recently and there's no short of 3rd party MF 85mm lenses). It's not something I'd use often enough to justify the cost of the up and coming S version, I suspect.

Had a quick look through what I've taken with the f4 24-70
Still having a "conversation" with myself over the 2.8

Mono blossom.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr
And just what would it give you (except a bad back and a lighter wallet) over the f4? The DoF looks shallow enough for me on this shot. :)

To tell you the truth, I'm wondering whether to ditch both the 17-35 and 70-300 (yes, I know I've just bought them and that they're both excellent lenses) for fixed length - 14 or 16mm; 100 or 135mm. I already have both of the latter in manual adapted lenses, and a Samyang-ish lens would do for the wide end.

Back