Nikon Z* mirrorless

Thread title changed now thanks to the mod TheBigYin (y)

I wish they'd done that for the Fuji line up, the XT split from the XH doesn't really make too much sense. Same sensor H1/T2. I also always thought there should have been one large M43 thread instead of split Oly/Pany ones. But the OP from these threads has usually long disappeared

I wish they'd done that for the Fuji line up, the XT split from the XH doesn't really make too much sense. Same sensor H1/T2. I also always thought there should have been one large M43 thread instead of split Oly/Pany ones. But the OP from these threads has usually long disappeared
Maybe contact the mods, that what I did for this thread (y)

problem is, when there's been 2 threads running for a few pages or more, while we CAN merge the threads, it merges them on post time and date order, and sometimes it can be ridiculously difficult to follow conversations Post-Merge...

Other option is to take the least active of the threads, post a notice in there saying that the threads now being continued in a new combined thread, add a link, and close it off... but then that basically p***es off all the people who have no interest in the other camera.

It's sort of a no-win situation i'm afraid.

Secret is getting in quickly when a new camera is issued and asking for the name of the existing thread to be expanded quickly, before any "momentum" builds up on a new thread...

TL-DR - we CAN merge threads, but don't like doing it as it confuses people and we get complaints whatever we do...

Last edited:
problem is, when there's been 2 threads running for a few pages or more, while we CAN merge the threads, it merges them on post time and date order, and sometimes it can be ridiculously difficult to follow conversations Post-Merge...

Other option is to take the least active of the threads, post a notice in there saying that the threads now being continued in a new combined thread, add a link, and close it off... but then that basically p***es off all the people who have no interest in the other camera.

It's sort of a no-win situation i'm afraid.

Secret is getting in quickly when a new camera is issued and asking for the name of the existing thread to be expanded quickly, before any "momentum" builds up on a new thread...

TL:DR - we CAN merge threads, but don't like doing it as it confuses people and we get complaints whatever we do...
Makes total sense. TBH this crossed my mind as soon as I mentioned it to Cagey, there's a big difference between changing a title to merging two running threads (y)

Interesting write up on manual lenses on the Z7.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/blog/article/12433/
Thanks for the link -- I agree entirely with the sentiments in this article.

We all have our ideal lens lists. My ideal, which I made my way towards when I had a D700, was w/a, normal and telezoom, plus affordable primes around 28/35, 50 and 100/105. With the Z6, I have the kit zoom and AF-P 70-300. These are more than good enough for general photography without significant compromises you need to work around. For 50mm I have the 1.2 AIS which gives about as much DoF creative possibilities as anyone would wish for as well as being more than good enough for landscape. Yesterday I wanted to trade my MF 50/1.8 for a 100mm f2.8E which had just appeared in a shop but in the end just got the lens as it looked absolutely brand new, despite being from the early 80's. Strictly speaking, a prime must be 2 stops faster than the equivalent zoom but I decided that for under £70, I would make a slight compromise, realising that with a portrait lens at f2.8, you still have only one eye in focus. In early tests, I've been blown away! The E series are known for being single coated so performance against bright light cannot match the new Z lenses but the rendering has a naturalness which seems to have gone from the modern hi-tech lenses and is astonishingly clear and sharp from wide open but also organic. MF is a breeze!

That leaves wideangle. I'll probably succumb to the 14-30 (which is already in stock here) when the price drops considerably. I'm used to a fast 35 (on the Fuji, Stephen's 23mm f1.4 did the job nicely ;)) for interior group scenes and here fast AF would be useful which means that the S 35mm f1.8 is probably going to be the best option but budget is limited so second hand and/or the G is the likely eventual outcome.

Last edited:

We all have our ideal lens lists. My ideal, which I made my way towards when I had a D700, was w/a, normal and telezoom, plus affordable primes around 28/35, 50 and 100/105. With the Z6, I have the kit zoom and AF-P 70-300. These are more than good enough for general photography without significant compromises you need to work around. For 50mm I have the 1.2 AIS which gives about as much DoF creative possibilities as anyone would wish for as well as being more than good enough for landscape. Yesterday I wanted to trade my MF 50/1.8 for a 100mm f2.8E which had just appeared in a shop but in the end just got the lens as it looked absolutely brand new, despite being from the early 80's. Strictly speaking, a prime must be 2 stops faster than the equivalent zoom but I decided that for under £70, I would make a slight compromise, realising that with a portrait lens at f2.8, you still have only one eye in focus. In early tests, I've been blown away! The E series are known for being single coated so performance against bright light cannot match the new Z lenses but the rendering has a naturalness which seems to have gone from the modern hi-tech lenses and is astonishingly clear and sharp from wide open but also organic. MF is a breeze!

That leaves wideangle. I'll probably succumb to the 14-30 (which is already in stock here) when the price drops considerably. I'm used to a fast 35 (on the Fuji, Stephen's 23mm f1.4 did the job nicely ;)) for interior group scenes and here fast AF would be useful which means that the S 35mm f1.8 is probably going to be the best option but budget is limited so second hand and/or the G is the likely eventual outcome.
I like to be of service!

and indeed you have been! Just waiting for you to buy the 14-30, decide you don't like it and then sell it on to me.........

I generally prefer the rendering of the older lenses too. Now that I have peaking with the Z7 maybe I can start to look into some legacy lenses (y)

Regarding my battery issue, it seems over on the DPreview forum people in the US have received counterfeit batteries from Adorama and B&H. I noticed the thread after reading a Nikon Rumors article about the EN-EL15b and one of them changing the stock status to discontinued.

Another thing with the battery I received it was full at 92% and also gave me the shutter release disabled error message.

Regarding my battery issue, it seems over on the DPreview forum people in the US have received counterfeit batteries from Adorama and B&H. I noticed the thread after reading a Nikon Rumors article about the EN-EL15b and one of them changing the stock status to discontinued.

Another thing with the battery I received it was full at 92% and also gave me the shutter release disabled error message.
Hopefully these companies can find out the source of the fake batteries and stop ordering them.

For anyone's info - the 14-30mm will be in stock at Panamoz next week (so they say).
Hurrah!
I'll need the price to come down a fair bit before it'll be on my radar, although it is on my lists of wanted lenses (y)

For anyone's info - the 14-30mm will be in stock at Panamoz next week (so they say).
Hurrah!
already in stock here in Stuttgart but I don't dare to ask to try it out as I know perfectly well it'll be months before I'll consider getting it. Panamoz pricing seems rather erratic with the 50mm S actually costing around £125 more than the standard German price. The 14-30 is a good deal but it will be under £1000 fairly soon, I reckon. At that price, I'll start looking.

already in stock here in Stuttgart but I don't dare to ask to try it out as I know perfectly well it'll be months before I'll consider getting it. Panamoz pricing seems rather erratic with the 50mm S actually costing around £125 more than the standard German price. The 14-30 is a good deal but it will be under £1000 fairly soon, I reckon. At that price, I'll start looking.
Knock more than one nought off and I might be in a position to do so.

Yep, a good price for the kit. If I hadn't just ordered a 24-70 kit lens I would have asked if you would sell separately :)

It's up for £1650 delivered.

You should have access to the page with your credentials?

I get hot under the collar when I see prices like that. My savings would have almost put the 14-30 within reach! :mad:

Haven’t logged in for several years, so think my inactivity has probably caused an issue

Finished up another edit. A different tracked image used for this one, but taken from where the first was at Durdle Door. I had an idea about doing something along the lines of this shot at Portland Bill (Milky Way over the lighthouse), but I couldn't shoot the Milky Way 2 nights in a row. So I went and got a shot of the lighthouse about 10pm the following evening.

What tracker did you use out of interest? I'm looking into having a dabble in the astro world as I have a keen interest in this line of photography.

Last edited:
I get hot under the collar when I see prices like that. My savings would have almost put the 14-30 within reach! :mad:
I believe it’s grey so sounds a tiny bit high to me as the Z6 and 24-70mm f4 bundle is £1789 new so it’s less that 10% saving.

Last edited:
I believe it’s grey so sounds a tiny bit high to me as the Z6 and 24-70mm f4 bundle is £1789 new so it’s less that 10% saving.
Ok --- Panamoz say £1820 when I looked just now so you're right; perhaps not such a bargain after all as it doesn't include the adaptor and also a smaller capacity card. I was daft enough not to wait for the main price reduction so finished up paying the equivalent of around £2600 but at least with EU warranty and the original 128Gb+FTZ+24-70 bundle.

Ok --- Panamoz say £1820 when I looked just now so you're right; perhaps not such a bargain after all as it doesn't include the adaptor and also a smaller capacity card. I was daft enough not to wait for the main price reduction so finished up paying the equivalent of around £2600 but at least with EU warranty and the original 128Gb+FTZ+24-70 bundle.
But you had the benefit of using it whilst the rest of us were procrastinating.

£1789 on e-infintity which is where the seller bought it from (y) Panamoz are generally more expensive than e-infinity but you get a 3 year warranty vs 1 year with e-infinity.

Try making Panamoz or E-Infinity an offer and see how far you get, at least with me the price is negotiable ;)
It is, and I always negotiate prices. There's not huge movement on the Z's at the moment, but there is some ;)

It is, and I always negotiate prices. There's not huge movement on the Z's at the moment, but there is some ;)

Irrelevant now as it sold within 15 minutes of being on a certain popular auction site for what I was asking + postage, annoying that they catch you for fees on the sale and via paypal but hey-ho that's how it goes.

Irrelevant now as it sold within 15 minutes of being on a certain popular auction site for what I was asking + postage, annoying that they catch you for fees on the sale and via paypal but hey-ho that's how it goes.
Glad you managed to sell it, and sorry to hear of your work situation.

Edit: And apologies for my previous post, I mis-read it and thought you meant that you got discount from e-infinity, but I've read it again and I believe you meant that you would get more negotiation from you than you would buying from the store (y)

Last edited:
I wish I'd kept my D750 remote shutter release now as it looks like the Z's have gone back to that style of cable/plug over the D850 one :facepalm:

Glad you managed to sell it, and sorry to hear of your work situation.

Edit: And apologies for my previous post, I mis-read it and thought you meant that you got discount from e-infinity, but I've read it again and I believe you meant that you would get more negotiation from you than you would buying from the store (y)

Thanks and yes the work situation is a bit of a bummer but I look upon it as another opportunity, another door opens as they say, no discount from infinity but yes I am/was happy to negotiate a lower price simply because of the fees incurred elsewhere.

Haven’t logged in for several years, so think my inactivity has probably caused an issue

I think that MIGHT just have been until you actually make a post under the new forum software - or - at worst - one "refresh" of the access priorities after posting - which happens somewhere in the middle of the night while the forum's at its quietest... If you still can't access it, drop a message using the "contact us" link and someone will look into it for you...

ETA: think its an access update issue like I said above, similar to what happened in 2014 when you disappeared for a couple of years last time...

Last edited:
What tracker did you use out of interest? I'm looking into having a dabble in the astro world as I have a keen interest in this line of photography.

I used a Sky Watcher Star Adventurer Mini, approx £250. There is also the iOptron Skyguider pro but it’s about £400, plus it’s double the weight and a bit larger.

I used a Sky Watcher Star Adventurer Mini, approx £250. There is also the iOptron Skyguider pro but it’s about £400, plus it’s double the weight and a bit larger.
Thanks for the reply Justin, I will look in to the two that you have mentioned :)

Back