Nikon Z* mirrorless

Just bought a Fuji 10-24
Now need a body
They'll be for sale after the Bank Holiday

Who did you go with? I've not bought through Europe before - don't know who's reliable?

Sorry for a late reply. I bought locally in Slovenia in one of the stores that I don't think sends abroad, but I have bought from Vienna Camera before and have nothing but good things to say about them.

€349 is the standard price now for the 50mm as it was previously €549 though I notice Calumet sometime during the morning sneaked the price up by a tenner and maybe one or two others will try and avoid giving the full discount as well but that's what you should be looking for. Don't forget that the highlight price is often without the cashback which is still not showing everywhere. Amazon.co.uk is outrageously overpriced just now.

All the grey import sellers are also overpriced at the moment. I feel the current price for the 50mm is a fair one.

At least we know that Nikon isn't opposed to cuting down prices in their new Z lineup. But that could be because they're trying to get a share of the FX mirrorless market.

Last edited:
All the grey import sellers are also overpriced at the moment. I feel the current price for the 50mm is a fair one.

At least we know that Nikon isn't opposed to cuting down prices in their new Z lineup. But that could be because they're trying to get a share of the FX mirrorless market.
Tbh grey prices often aren’t much cheaper for lenses, seems a bit hit and miss o_O

€349 is the standard price now for the 50mm as it was previously €549 though I notice Calumet sometime during the morning sneaked the price up by a tenner and maybe one or two others will try and avoid giving the full discount as well but that's what you should be looking for. Don't forget that the highlight price is often without the cashback which is still not showing everywhere. Amazon.co.uk is outrageously overpriced just now.
There’s no cash back offer just a price reduction so what you see is what you get. Amazon UK has the 50mm for £399 at present which is the cheapest UK price I can find at the mo (y)

There’s no cash back offer just a price reduction so what you see is what you get. Amazon UK has the 50mm for £399 at present which is the cheapest UK price I can find at the mo (y)
At any rate, I think we can agree that Amazon prices are all over the shop. Whatever happened to the £1092 14-30 spotted by Paulmoz just a couple of days ago? No sign of that anymore! perhaps tomorrow the 50mm will be £299

WoOt. Seem to have ordered the 14-30 from e-infinity.
Wasn’t showing as out of stock.
Fingers crossed.

WoOt. Seem to have ordered the 14-30 from e-infinity.
Wasn’t showing as out of stock.
Fingers crossed.

Might have got the last one. Out of stock now.
Eagerly awaiting shipping notification.

I noticed that Trev. I had a mail at 5.00 am this morning from E-Infinity telling me the lens was back in stock, that I only saw when I arrived at work at 7:30. Went to order ti and it was bloody sold out again :D

The hunt continues.

I just talked to the owner of the store (do most of my camera gear shopping there) and he said he's willing to give free postage to the UK. So 1250€ for the 14-30 Z lens posted and insured to the UK. And it's in stock...

Had a hands on look at the z6 kit with 24-70 and FTz adaptor yesterday in LCE was really impressed noticeably lighter but still nice in hand, I almost purchased but my usual impulse buying was held at bay while I do some more research but I really am hovering over the buy button

Had a hands on look at the z6 kit with 24-70 and FTz adaptor yesterday in LCE was really impressed noticeably lighter but still nice in hand, I almost purchased but my usual impulse buying was held at bay while I do some more research but I really am hovering over the buy button

Out with mine at the moment. Got the 24-70 on it.
Don’t use it that often, must use it more. Lovely thing.

@snerkler

Toby. Just to save me googling. Does the 7 have greater dynamic range than the 6.

From http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm at ISO 64 it does as you might expect, otherwise at comparable settings, the 6 has a nose in front. Not a lot in it anyway. But Toby may have a personal take.

Thanks, just for a brief moment I would have considered the 7 if it where markedly better.
Decided to expose more toward the highlight and recover the shadows if required.

Unaccustomed as I am to Nikon's nomenclature (my last Nikon before this was a new Nikon FM in the 70s), if I was looking for a 35mm focal length with auto-focus to use on the FTZ (not being able to even consider the Z version) what model(s) should I be looking for?

The Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8 G ED FX is I think what you're looking for. That's the current F mount version. The S is around £150 more with current cashback. You could always go for a second hand G of course at around £300-350. The older Nikon D version is only MF with the Z6. Let me know what you're considering as a 35mm f1.8 is also on my radar. If you want 35mm f1.4 then there are quite a few options but you don't want that as it's more expensive :)

If you really, really want to go slumming it, buy a DX version for barely £100 and watch your 24mp become 10.

Last edited:
The Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8 G ED FX is I think what you're looking for. That's the current F mount version. The S is around £150 more with current cashback. You could always go for a second hand G of course at around £300-350. The older Nikon D version is only MF with the Z6. Let me know what you're considering as a 35mm f1.8 is also on my radar. If you want 35mm f1.4 then there are quite a few options but you don't want that as it's more expensive :)
Thanks David. The cheaper the better really as technically I’m budgeted out (!) but with a bit of creative accountancy... The 1.4 would undoubtedly be unattainable.

Actually this article https://photographylife.com/using-nikon-dx-lenses-on-fx-cameras actually recommends the DX 35mm on FX for saving cash. I think (someone pls correct if I'm wrong) that on the Z cameras, you are forced to use the DX crop so then you're cropping back to 50mm equivalent so it's probably a daft idea after all.... unlike the F mount Nikons where you have the option of retaining the vignetting which under some circumstances seems minimal.

Last edited:
Actually this article https://photographylife.com/using-nikon-dx-lenses-on-fx-cameras actually recommends the DX 35mm on FX for saving cash. I think (someone pls correct if I'm wrong) that on the Z cameras, you are forced to use the DX crop so then you're cropping back to 50mm equivalent so it's probably a daft idea after all.... unlike the F mount Nikons where you have the option of retaining the vignetting which under some circumstances seems minimal.
Hmm ... if I’ve got an FX sensor I want to get my money’s worth and cover it all with light. Grays have a used 35mm for £390. Just short of the £300 now.

Hmm ... if I’ve got an FX sensor I want to get my money’s worth and cover it all with light. Grays have a used 35mm for £390. Just short of the £300 now.

:p
I've got a 35mm lens, the way I look at it it's just between the 24mm and 70mm on my f4.

:p
I've got a 35mm lens, the way I look at it it's just between the 24mm and 70mm on my f4.
I’ve got two. The other is at the far end of my 17-35. ;) I only want one as a lightweight walk-around. It’s a case of balancing weight of lens against weight of wallet. Especially for a Lancastrian, trained in Scotland, and living in Yorkshire. True thrift. :eek:

if you get the one from Parks at £309 then you only have £219 to go

Oooh! Ordered. Just have to sell the dog. Or the wife. Anyone need a good woman? :exit:
Oi -- hands off my lens :mad:. Don't worry, Parks don't send to Germany anyway as far as I can see. Average price here seems to be €399 which includes one classed "excellent" from MPB who also have a German website where the price is slightly lower.

By the way, isn't Mistletoe worth more than £219?! I'll stay clear on the wife.....
Not sure about the weight saving. You'll knock off about 50g, I think when you include the adaptor unless you're not talking a direct comparison with the 24-70. 35mm for me would be an indoor lens primarily and not part of a kit.

Last edited:
Oi -- hands off my lens :mad:. Don't worry, Parks don't send to Germany anyway as far as I can see. Average price here seems to be €399 which includes one classed "excellent" from MPB who also have a German website where the price is slightly lower.

By the way, isn't Mistletoe worth more than £219?! I'll stay clear on the wife.....
Not sure about the weight saving. You'll knock off about 50g, I think when you include the adaptor unless you're not talking a direct comparison with the 24-70. 35mm for me would be an indoor lens primarily and not part of a kit.
Well, if I don’t like it I know someone in the foreign who might ...

35mm is one of my favourite focal lengths and sometimes a fixed focal length can be liberating, as per my X100F. Especially in low light.

Well I tend to agree with that which may be the reason that your 23mm f1.4 was my most used lens with the X-Pro2 (other than the general purpose 55-200) when I had no standard zoom. But a 35 for me would be mainly for when the light's not good or when I have one of my bokeh obsession phases.

Mine isn't recalled neither. Maybe the first batch released is affected?

Btw, as far as I know, there has been no additional info on the 70-200/2.8 Z when it comes to release date and pricing?

Also interested in the 70-200 2.8, probably not for current Gen Z6.

As much of a Nikon lover I am it just doesn’t seem on the A7iii level for action just yet.

Also interested in the 70-200 2.8, probably not for current Gen Z6.

As much of a Nikon lover I am it just doesn’t seem on the A7iii level for action just yet.

Really? I find it very capable for action. Certainly better than my D750 was. I usually test a lens/camera combo with my dog running towards me. I've posted this before but here's the link again: https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157706365176231
There's a tracking sequence of 28 images in that album of my dog going full speed towards me with me being eye level to her and using the 70-200 at 200mm and f2.8 to really show focus. The images are not cropped and are full frame...I'm not saying that it's the best camera for action but in my opinion it can work very well as one.

Really? I find it very capable for action. Certainly better than my D750 was. I usually test a lens/camera combo with my dog running towards me. I've posted this before but here's the link again: https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157706365176231
There's a tracking sequence of 28 images in that album of my dog going full speed towards me with me being eye level to her and using the 70-200 at 200mm and f2.8 to really show focus. The images are not cropped and are full frame...I'm not saying that it's the best camera for action but in my opinion it can work very well as one.

More low light action indoors - from the videos I have watched the Z6 is just not as capable - and think other users on here have also commented the same, but maybe that was old firmware.

I'm still not even sure what FOS the Z6 does in CAF? Some say 5.5 and some say the full 12?

Until the native 70-200 comes and and the price has dropped I will hold off anyway!

Yay, just bagged the last Nikon 14-30 F4 Z from SRS Micro systems. Should be with me tomorrow.

Back