Nikon Z* mirrorless

More low light action indoors - from the videos I have watched the Z6 is just not as capable - and think other users on here have also commented the same, but maybe that was old firmware.

I'm still not even sure what FOS the Z6 does in CAF? Some say 5.5 and some say the full 12?

Until the native 70-200 comes and and the price has dropped I will hold off anyway!

Well the latest FW improved on both. Low-light and AF-C. There was a post on DPReview where one user compared his D5 and Z6 in regards to focusing in low light and commented that the Z6 focused on situations where the D5 didn't.

As for the FPS...12 FPS was always the max, but with FW version 1.x exposure was locked with the first image. In the new FW it has AE during the burst as well. The only thing that needs taking used to is seeing last image taken in the EVF during the burst and not the live view, but I don't find it distracting now.

Just read this on DP:

Lastly, Nikon has added the ability for the Z6 and Z7 to shoot continuously with full-time auto exposure at the fastest burst rates: 12 fps on the Z6

Does the Z6 do CAF at 12fps? If so hows the blackout/tracking ability?

Fro did a video and was saying it tops at 5.5fps and missed a lot of shots (indoor hockey).

Well the latest FW improved on both. Low-light and AF-C. There was a post on DPReview where one user compared his D5 and Z6 in regards to focusing in low light and commented that the Z6 focused on situations where the D5 didn't.

As for the FPS...12 FPS was always the max, but with FW version 1.x exposure was locked with the first image. In the new FW it has AE during the burst as well. The only thing that needs taking used to is seeing last image taken in the EVF during the burst and not the live view, but I don't find it distracting now.

The A7III does that at 10fps but at 8fps the last image thing is not there.

Had Nikons since the D40 and only went to Sony as I wanted to go to mirrorless and the Z models were not announced or even in the pipeline! I want to see the price of the 70-200 first!

Grays are doing the 50mm for £390, thats some drop from when it came out.

Bargain..no, I mean it

I paid top dollar. But I’ve had the use of it. Fab lens.

Just read this on DP:

Lastly, Nikon has added the ability for the Z6 and Z7 to shoot continuously with full-time auto exposure at the fastest burst rates: 12 fps on the Z6

Fro did a video and was saying it tops at 5.5fps and missed a lot of shots (indoor hockey).

The Z6 does AF-C at 12 FPS....the sequence in my Flickr album was taken at 12 FPS with the old FW. The difference between the first image where the dog is standing and the last is 1,8 seconds (23 images in that time frame)

Fro said it tops out at 5.5 FPS with live view I think....but like I said, I much prefer the faster frame rate even without live view.

Bargain..no, I mean it

Agreed....just bought mine when these discounts came about...amazing lens. I would say it's a poor man's Otus :)

Bargain..no, I mean it

Does look like a nice lens. My issue is that the go to lens is the 70-200 and I would need to get the adpator and the old 70-200 only to want to sell it on when the new one gets released - when ever that is! Not a very cost effective option at the moment!

there's a very generous €200 instant cashback in Euroland. For some bizarre reason, probably a mistake by Nikon, it's only £90 in the UK so buying abroad could net considerably more savings. If I hadn't recently bought for virtually the same price an MF 50mm f1.2, I would have been sorely tempted! Having tested the lens, I can confirm it's pretty decent.

I guess an option is that I could get a 2nd hand 70-200 and potentially not lose too much money on it!

Hows the performance/af speed/tracking etc with the 70-200 2.8 and adaptor?

I guess an option is that I could get a 2nd hand 70-200 and potentially not lose too much money on it!

That tracking sequence was taken with the FTZ and the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 G VRII (not the latest FL version). I did exactly what you're contemplating. Bought used and will probably sell on once the Z version hits (depends on the price of course). I have no complaints against neither the focusing speed nor tracking...the only thing is if you're shooting video the onboard mic will pick up the focusing sounds from the lens.

Do you absolutely have to have the 2.8 right now ? the F4 might be a better option until the Z 2.8 comes out ? and less outlay at start and loose at end?

Do you absolutely have to have the 2.8 right now ? the F4 might be a better option until the Z 2.8 comes out ? and less outlay at start and loose at end?

Pretty much yes - but i also dont have to change to Nikon just yet either as my Sony 70-200 2.8 wouldnt really lose any more value now.

I use the 2.8 all the time for my equestrian stuff as a lot of it is indoors and shoot at 2.8 a fair bit (well 100% at at 2.8 indoors).

Its just a thought though, for the most part I have nothing bad to say about the A7iii, but at heart I am a Nikon man - although that shouldnt be a reason to switch I guess!!

So looking at prices on Panamoz:

Z6 with adaptor & 24-70 - £1975
Z6 with adaptor - £1570

How much do the 24-70's go for? The difference above is £405 so is it worth buying with kit to sell on? I wouldnt be able to keep the kit lens + get a 50, but when I had the D750 my 50mm was my go too lens... I wanted to love 35mm but after buying and selling about 6 I admitted defeat lol.

Z6 with adaptor - £1570
50mm - £380 (UK - as its £600 from them!)
70-200 - £1000ish for a mint one?

Total (not including extra battery/cards) - £2950

Possible sale
A7III - £1400ish with extras
70-200 - £1600ish
28-70 - £100

Total £3100

So I wouldnt need to spend any money as such until the 70-200 comes out which will probably be around £2500!!!

It's interesting to see that you're toying with the idea of changing from an A7iii to the Z6, because I'm in a quandary at the moment about which of these two cameras to get! Why the change?

It's interesting to see that you're toying with the idea of changing from an A7iii to the Z6, because I'm in a quandary at the moment about which of these two cameras to get! Why the change?

Well, I guess mainly because I have always been with Nikon and I enjoy the way they handle.

It's not a definate decision and not even sure its the right decision and i might not even do it (not very helpful to you!).

I went with Sony as the Z6 wasn't out. I am more than happy with the Sony. It works great, it takes great pics, but I just like the Z6 - grip, EVF, screen are all better. Has the Nikon been out at the same time I am pretty sure being a Nikon Fan Boy I would have got a Z6 straight out!

I think I need to decide soon as that 50mm price probably wont last that long.

If I was you, I really don't know! Both are excellent cameras and both improving with new firmware. Maybe the best option is to try both with the lenses you would want if you have a store that stocks both. They do feel a bit different in hand.

I've had a few Nikons in the past too, and favoured them over the other bodies I had. I've also heard that the grip on the Nikon is a little better as it's a bit chunkier, which would be good for me with my sausage fingers. Price-wise, for someone starting from scratch again like me, there doesn't seem to be much in it (otherwise that probably would have easily swayed it!)

I've had a few Nikons in the past too, and favoured them over the other bodies I had. I've also heard that the grip on the Nikon is a little better as it's a bit chunkier, which would be good for me with my sausage fingers. Price-wise, for someone starting from scratch again like me, there doesn't seem to be much in it (otherwise that probably would have easily swayed it!)

Yeah now prices are all levelled out there is not mcuh in it. Sony does have a lot of cheaper lens options such as the 50mm 1.8 and Samyang ones but quality wise they are not up to GM or S standard.

How much do the 24-70's go for? The difference above is £405 so is it worth buying with kit to sell on? I wouldnt be able to keep the kit lens + get a 50, but when I had the D750 my 50mm was my go too lens... I wanted to love 35mm but after buying and selling about 6 I admitted defeat lol.

I'd say the kit lens is definitely worth its' price in the kit. I actually bought the body only with the adaptor and later on added the 24-70/f4 from ebay...was happy I got it for around 425 GBP.

So maybe not worth it if I plan to sell on? My D750 set up was basically just a 50mm and 70-200 so thats all i would be looking for!

So maybe not worth it if I plan to sell on? My D750 set up was basically just a 50mm and 70-200 so thats all i would be looking for!

Thing is Justin. The 24-70 would be very handy for your ‘Around the Yard’ project.
It’s a sharp flexible lens.

So the usual question - anyone use screen protectors? Cant seem to find any that include the top screen?

So the usual question - anyone use screen protectors? Cant seem to find any that include the top screen?
Yes, I’ve got one but more out of habit. Can’t remember what make but it’s one of those thin glass ones. Never thought about one for the top screen, and probably won’t.

@snerkler

Toby. Just to save me googling. Does the 7 have greater dynamic range than the 6.
Sorry for the slow response, been away all weekend at the BTCC and then really busy yesterday. As mentioned it’s better but only just, can’t see it making any real world difference.
Really? I find it very capable for action. Certainly better than my D750 was. I usually test a lens/camera combo with my dog running towards me. I've posted this before but here's the link again: https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157706365176231
There's a tracking sequence of 28 images in that album of my dog going full speed towards me with me being eye level to her and using the 70-200 at 200mm and f2.8 to really show focus. The images are not cropped and are full frame...I'm not saying that it's the best camera for action but in my opinion it can work very well as one.
TBH I’d disagree with this after my weekend at the BTCC. Sure hit rate it good, but at 5.5fps the blackout time is quite obtrusive (much more so than the D750 imo) making it more awkward to follow things in the VF. Also, at the higher frame rates you’re not seeing a real time view making sideways tracking a real PITA.

I’m going to have to do some tests with my camera as well and check the time stamps as it sounded much slower than 5.5fps to me, but maybe that’s just because I’ve been used to shooting at 9 and 15fps with my other gear.

Just read this on DP:

See my comment above (y) IMO the Z’s are some way off the Sony’s for sports. Yes they’re usable, but once you’ve been spoilt with something else it’s a bit of a pain to go back this far in terms of performance in terms of frame rate and (for me) obtrusive blackout. That being said the files it produces are gorgeous. I know it’s opinion but for me the colour science and WB of Nikon is much better than Sony still, which is why I’m happy to stick with Nikon. I don’t really use it for sports now, but I know the next generations will be right up there (y)

Last edited:
The lens should be here tomorrow. We’re planning on a quick drive out to Malham after tea on Thursday, so that’ll be a good chance to sample it.
you mean here?

P5201092.jpg

I'm sure you'll do better with the Z6 --this was taken on a humble Olympus E-500

you mean here?

View attachment 245745

I'm sure you'll do better with the Z6 --this was taken on a humble Olympus E-500
Might do the Cove, but it’s a bit hackneyed. We’re more likely to walk to Janet’s Foss and then on to Gordale Scar, which is very brooding. Mind you, the Foss will probably be just a trickle as we’ve had no rain for ages. Saying that it’ll probably pee down Thursday!
6DF104F9-87DA-4B2E-8EF3-A51A43564D7D.jpeg

you're welcome to some of our rain. By the end of today (p***ing down non-stop the last 36 hrs) , we will had over 140mm in the last month.

Has anyone encountered any issues with the firmware update to date?

I've been putting it off to see if any bugs arise from it....

Has anyone encountered any issues with the firmware update to date?

I've been putting it off to see if any bugs arise from it....
Mine's been OK (y)

Superb, I'll upgrade at the weekend when I get chance to unlock its new potential.

At the weekend I teamed up my Z6 with (perhaps slightly controversially) the 70-300 af-p DX :eek: lens. Yes I know it’s like a constant heavy crop, only 10mp files etc, but the thing is cheap (£139 from e-infinity), tiny and weighs almost nothing. I was actually really happy with the results, will try and post some later.

Should probably mention I also have a sigma 150-600 for more serious use, but that one doesn’t exactly fit in your pocket :ROFLMAO:

Back