Nikon Z* mirrorless

They do, Lexar have been promising to join the party for over a year but still nothing. It will be interesting to see what happens when CF express is finally released.
Indeed! I'm just going to trust my single card until CF Express comes out and hopefully provides some competition. I'm also in the "only need one 32Gb just as a backup" camp and won't pay more than £50 for it.

Another with the Konica Hexanon 57mm. Processed in Silver Efex Pro 2 based on the "024 Full Contrast and Structure" preset.

Wharfe at Linton by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

I often like this preset but have to say this seems to have gone a step or two too far -- and I say this as someone who is far from immune from trying "artistic" experiments. I think it's the trees that get me though the clouds are quite moody

I thought you couldn't get bokeh from an UWA.

DSC_1174.jpg

this is from my new toy -- with all the buzz around the 14-30, I couldn't resist the unexpected arrival in a local shop of a (little) used original Samyang 14mm f2.8 UMC on approval to see how it might match up to the real thing. I have to say that so far, it has exceeded my expectations. It has the infamous moustache distortion and high vignetting, both of which I curiously actually like in the right sort of shot. The main thing is to work out exactly where to put the focus point to ensure any edges I want to be in focus actually are but I'm finding the lens very sharp so probably have a fairly decent copy without major decentering issues. I like the fact this is one of the chipped ones only found for Nikon (which at first I thought was incompatible until I did my homework) which means aperture is set by the camera and is recorded in EXIF. I also like the fact it costs less than a quarter of the 14-30. And I like the fact you can shoot at f2.8 as in this shot. Fringing and flare -- what are they?

Probably tomorrow I'll find a good reason to return it but for now I'm happy! In a few weeks a native Z mount version will arrive but it's the same optical formula only no EXIF and much heavier, even taking into account needing the FTZ

I often like this preset but have to say this seems to have gone a step or two too far -- and I say this as someone who is far from immune from trying "artistic" experiments. I think it's the trees that get me though the clouds are quite moody
Oh well, it was worth a try. ;)

Spent today resisting the urge to buy a second Z6. Went yesterday to the Surrey County Show. Took the Z with 14-30 and 24-70 f4. Found myself changing lenses too often.
Managed to resist so far. Won’t be shooting in this kind of scenario more than couple times a year.
Maybe I need a 14-105...F2.8 of course..

Spent today resisting the urge to buy a second Z6. Went yesterday to the Surrey County Show. Took the Z with 14-30 and 24-70 f4. Found myself changing lenses too often.
Managed to resist so far. Won’t be shooting in this kind of scenario more than couple times a year.
Maybe I need a 14-105...F2.8 of course..
:rolleyes::) fair play trev,bit more than getting another x100 lol.glad you are enjoying yourself.

Yes, but they were there. I tend to dislike cloning out except in certain circumstances.

Yes they were there, but wouldn’t have been if the picture was taken with an antique plate camera.

Yes they were there, but wouldn’t have been if the picture was taken with an antique plate camera.
They wouldn’t have been if the picture was taken with my Bronica, but then I wouldn’t have been able to post it in this forum ... :giggle:

Saw this yesterday, looks like Nikon are going full steam ahead with the Z series. I think the next round of cameras will be capable indeed, and I kept telling myself that I should wait for the second generation but then I have always been inpatient ;) TBH though my only wants over my Z7 are faster frame rate with real time view (preferably 8-10fps) and dual card slots. I'm sure there are other things where they can 'upgrade' it, but the rest will be superfluous to my needs. Actually, a global shutter and faster EVF refresh would be nice too ;)

I have decided that the Z6 doesn’t suit me for BIF. I’ve tried it a few times, but miss the extra bit of resolution that the D810 (also not perfect) gives me. Still love it for everything else.
Do you find much difference in frame rate/black out when shooting with the Z6 in cont hi (5.5fps) and the D810 at 6fps?

Sometimes I can't work DXO out. They've just released scores for the 24-70mm f4 and it 'only' scores 19mpix sharpness on the Z7, yet my copy is super sharp. 19mpix is 2mpix behind the 24-70mm f2.8 mounted on the D810 and imo my copy of the 24-70mm f4 is noticeably sharper than any of the three 24-70mm f2.8's I owned. What are other's finding that have used both?

Last edited:
Sometimes I can't work DXO out. They've just released scores for the 24-70mm f4 and it 'only' scores 19mpix sharpness on the Z7, yet my copy is super sharp. 19mpix is 2mpix behind the 24-70mm f2.8 mounted on the D810 and imo my copy of the 24-70mm f4 is noticeably sharper than any of the three 24-70mm f2.8's I owned. What are other's finding that have used both?
I was just looking at that - disappointing! Maybe they put it on the Z7 back to front then dropped it in Vaseline?

What it means is ... don’t take pictures of graphs. And you can use statistics to prove or disprove anything.

DXO can be a strange one. My own research has shown that the Z f/4 lens is probably the sharpest of all the Nikon and third party 24-70’s especially in those pesky corners. I don’t know if dxo test a representative sample like Roger but I’d be more inclined to believe what he says.

DXO can be a strange one. My own research has shown that the Z f/4 lens is probably the sharpest of all the Nikon and third party 24-70’s especially in those pesky corners. I don’t know if dxo test a representative sample like Roger but I’d be more inclined to believe what he says.
Who’s Roger?

Back