Nikon Z* mirrorless

Cross posted in the Pictures for Pleasure section

Colour edit. 1943 Model 18. Found in a field near Arnhem. Speculation that it was dropped before the Battle. Subsequently bought back to England and used as a trials bile for 30 years. Unrestored. Note the leather case behind the seat, this is a map case found in Passchendaele. Stamped 1917
This info from the current owner.

DSC_2568-Edit by Trevor, on Flickr

Again with the 24-70 @24mm f4

Cross posted in the Pictures for Pleasure section

Colour edit. 1943 Model 18. Found in a field near Arnhem. Speculation that it was dropped before the Battle. Subsequently bought back to England and used as a trials bile for 30 years. Unrestored. Note the leather case behind the seat, this is a map case found in Passchendaele. Stamped 1917
This info from the current owner.

DSC_2568-Edit by Trevor, on Flickr

Again with the 24-70 @24mm f4
Not really into bikes per se, but I like to look at and admire their engineering. This is a beauty.

I agree, that Norton really is something. I might be in due course acquiring its polar opposite -- a smartphone controlled e-bike! Will i be chased off the forum?:chicken:

Last edited:
I agree, that Norton really is something. I might be in due course acquiring its polar opposite -- a smartphone controlled e-bike! Will i be chased off the forum?:chicken:
I’d sooner have one controlled by the handlebars.

I’d sooner have one controlled by the handlebars.
use of the handlebars is still permitted. Otherwise just about everything is controlled from Brussels where they will slip you a firmware update if the way you pedal doesn't match their programming.

Nice Buttermere shot by the way!

Last edited:
Magic. Great timing.

Thanks :) I find myself using the video function a lot more now as well with the Zs. The 24-70/4 is great for that use.

Looks like Nikon are considering an attack on the newly announced Sony A7R4. Now I’m all for high MP for cropping, after all that’s why I bought the Z7, but when is enough enough? 45.7mp is more than enough for me, I can’t see why I’d ever need/want 61mp, especially as it’ll introduce even more noise and will slow lightroom etc to a standstill.

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/07/16/...ith-a-60mp-sensor-make-more-sense-today.aspx/

I'm amazed at how easily excited people still get over high MP counts. It's not all that long ago when pro's were telling us 18mp is more than enough for any application. I think they're running out of features to add to bait gearheads tbh. When I had a 36mp camera I just got lazy and used to crop the hell out of everything, I think this is happening to many nowadays, the high MP count being a crutch and they pick up terrible habits. Ask to see the RAW file and often it'll be crooked, badly framed, tonnes of useless space etc this is why for serious competitions they ask for the RAW for each finished entry, also to check for cloning or photo-shopping of course.

The sooner all the updated versions of these cameras are out the better for those of us who scour the used market :D

Looks like Nikon are considering an attack on the newly announced Sony A7R4. Now I’m all for high MP for cropping, after all that’s why I bought the Z7, but when is enough enough? 45.7mp is more than enough for me, I can’t see why I’d ever need/want 61mp, especially as it’ll introduce even more noise and will slow lightroom etc to a standstill.

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/07/16/...ith-a-60mp-sensor-make-more-sense-today.aspx/

I don't know about even more noise as if you downsize for final output the noise may not be an issue. OK downsizing may negate the need for all those pixels but when conditions are optimum they're there to be used.

I'm quite happy with 24mp, just as happy as I was when I had 6 and maybe 3.1 too.

I don't know about even more noise as if you downsize for final output the noise may not be an issue. OK downsizing may negate the need for all those pixels but when conditions are optimum they're there to be used.

I'm quite happy with 24mp, just as happy as I was when I had 6 and maybe 3.1 too.
I can only compare the D750 to the D850/Z7, even downsized the D850/Z7 files show a tad more noise than the D750, but lets be honest they're all fantastic. It was more a point of do we need more pixels? It's not the end of the world if there were no penalties but there are, file size and noise (y)

I think this paranoia about noise is over-rated. Back in the olden days of film we called it Grain and exploited it! I'm still processing shots I took with my Canon 5D Mk1 12 years ago and if I'm honest I would be more than satisfied if modern cameras were "only" as clear as that. Apart from its predilection for collecting dust bunnies of course. But then, I'm easily pleased. :exit:

Looks like Nikon are considering an attack on the newly announced Sony A7R4.

There has been talk about a 60mp Nikon for some time, which I think most people assumed would be for a D850 mirrorless replacement/alternative, and the latest rumours seem to confirm it as the Z8. What comes as a surprise rumour is the possibility of a D860, which I presume may also have a 60mp sensor.

I don't follow Sony, but from what I've read this one has arrived much earlier than expected and I do wonder if it's been deliberately brought forward to get to the market before Nikon. It must be a bit of a shock for Nikon as it seems to have the sort of spec you might have expected from the Z8, but at a Z7 price. I assume the Z8 will have a more "professional" build, and dual cfexpress/xqd card slots (or maybe only one, plus one SD), but none the less this latest effort from Sony must be causing some worries at Nikon.

There has been talk about a 60mp Nikon for some time, which I think most people assumed would be for a D850 mirrorless replacement/alternative, and the latest rumours seem to confirm it as the Z8. What comes as a surprise rumour is the possibility of a D860, which I presume may also have a 60mp sensor.

I don't follow Sony, but from what I've read this one has arrived much earlier than expected and I do wonder if it's been deliberately brought forward to get to the market before Nikon. It must be a bit of a shock for Nikon as it seems to have the sort of spec you might have expected from the Z8, but at a Z7 price. I assume the Z8 will have a more "professional" build, and dual cfexpress/xqd card slots (or maybe only one, plus one SD), but none the less this latest effort from Sony must be causing some worries at Nikon.
TBH Sony have been causing the others concerns ever since the release of the FF mirrorless, but especially the Gen 3's.

TBH Sony have been causing the others concerns ever since the release of the FF mirrorless, but especially the Gen 3's.
True, but for me, I think its the timing and the price that is making the big difference with this Sony release (together with the recent release of the two long Sony lenses 600 f4 and the 200-600 zoom).

True, but for me, I think its the timing and the price that is making the big difference with this Sony release (together with the recent release of the two long Sony lenses 600 f4 and the 200-600 zoom).
Yeah, the price of the A7III certainly took everyone by surprise, and now the A7R4. I just wish they'd sort the ergonomics out.

I think this paranoia about noise is over-rated. Back in the olden days of film we called it Grain and exploited it! I'm still processing shots I took with my Canon 5D Mk1 12 years ago and if I'm honest I would be more than satisfied if modern cameras were "only" as clear as that. Apart from its predilection for collecting dust bunnies of course. But then, I'm easily pleased. :exit:

The biggest issue I had with the 5D was indeed sensor contamination but looking at the abilities of new kit I'd now say that the limited high ISO of the 5D is a major problem if you take pictures that require the very high ISO's that are no problem today.

One thing I notice when looking at pictures I took years ago is that I can get much better results using more modern software. I'm using Adobe CS5 which I suppose is old news these days but occasionally I rework an old picture and there's no doubt in my mind that I can get better results with CS5 than I ever got with the Canon free stuff, CS3, Rawshooter Essentials or anything else I've used over the years. But no, when I had the 5D I never ached for a higher mp count.

The biggest issue I had with the 5D was indeed sensor contamination but looking at the abilities of new kit I'd now say that the limited high ISO of the 5D is a major problem if you take pictures that require the very high ISO's that are no problem today.

One thing I notice when looking at pictures I took years ago is that I can get much better results using more modern software. I'm using Adobe CS5 which I suppose is old news these days but occasionally I rework an old picture and there's no doubt in my mind that I can get better results with CS5 than I ever got with the Canon free stuff, CS3, Rawshooter Essentials or anything else I've used over the years. But no, when I had the 5D I never ached for a higher mp count.
I totally agree that modern software vastly helps with processing of older files.

And I do concede that the ability to take good shots in reduced light is a boon. When I started out in photography 400ASA was "wow!" and I'm afraid I still retain some of that mentality.

Beautiful, thanks for posting, but does it look like it's leaning to the right to you?
I keep looking at it and thinking so, but the wee building in the distance is vertical (I think). I wonder if it’s because of the fence?

I keep looking at it and thinking so, but the wee building in the distance is vertical (I think). I wonder if it’s because of the fence?

Try a 0.3 of a degree rotation to the left), that staightens up the building and the centre 3 fence posts, its not much but over 6000 pixels, its approx +/-15 pixels around the centre point, 30/6000 = 0.005, arctan = 0.284, which is a suprising amount!!

House and trees look tilted to the right to me (y)

Is it me being impatient, or are Nikon being a bit slow at releasing some lenses? The 58mm 0.95 has been "coming soon" for months now on the Nikon site, and the 85mm f1.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 aren't even listed as coming soon yet it was said to be being released this year. If they take as long as the 58mm has between being listed as "coming soon" and actually being released it's going to be a while before we see these two lenses.

Is it me being impatient, or are Nikon being a bit slow at releasing some lenses? The 58mm 0.95 has been "coming soon" for months now on the Nikon site, and the 85mm f1.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 aren't even listed as coming soon yet it was said to be being released this year. If they take as long as the 58mm has between being listed as "coming soon" and actually being released it's going to be a while before we see these two lenses.

Yes it does seem to be taking them a bit of time. I was hoping the 85mm would be out by now. So I am going to try out the Techart Sony/Z lens adaptor and going to use a Sony 85mm... just curious as to how it performs....

Last edited:
Yes it does seem to be taking them a bit of time. I was hoping the 85mm would be out by now. So I am going to try out the Techart Sony/Z lens adaptor and going to use a Sony 85mm... just curious as to haw it performs....
I'd be interested too. I'm happy with the performance of the 85mm f1.8G on the Z7 though (y)

Hey, I’m on my way to Farne Islands hopefully this Friday to take puffin pics (as if the world needs any more!), with the z and 200-500mm.
I’ve never really tried any bird pics before - what would you say is the best focus mode for a flying bird‽
I use single point in AF-C, some prefer group AF although I’m not sure if the Z’s have this. It will be interesting to hear how you get on doing BIF with the Z, I wouldn’t say that BIF is its strongest point tbh.

Hey, I’m on my way to Farne Islands hopefully this Friday to take puffin pics (as if the world needs any more!), with the z and 200-500mm.
I’ve never really tried any bird pics before - what would you say is the best focus mode for a flying bird‽

You may pick up some ideas from these videos:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNAziALpnXc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQFPjvIBQfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWAq1Ep_LFU

Also Morton Hilmer is now using a Nikon Z7 (and a D850) for wildlife (and Z6 for vlogging), but not much info on using it:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MortenHilmer

And Geoff Cooper uses a Z7 for wildlife, but again not much directly about using the Z7
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJOA3Mu0eitM_DO_3BYc8OQ

I think we are in an mp race and 100megs (ff) is at least the first ‘milestone’ that I expect Sony will smash. My D810 still surprises me with its crop ability so 45 would impress me further let alone 60! Fortunately my other hobby is pc building and my computer will eat a 100 meg file like it’s not even there!

All that said.....

My son had his pic taken at nursery recently and I know the tog used an A7Riii yet all I got was a 6 meg file. But guess what it prints very well :D

Looking at the new lens release for the Fuji X-System (the new 16-80 F4 OIS), this is exactly the lens is wanted when I had the Fuji system (24-120 equiv), it's made me realise that's exactly the sort of travel lens I want for the Z series - i.e. a native 24-120 F4 VR in Z format (without having to use the FTZ adaptor), oh and whilst we are at it, a native Z 70-300 VR zoom would be nice too.

Think I'm just getting impatient.

Looking at the new lens release for the Fuji X-System (the new 16-80 F4 OIS), this is exactly the lens is wanted when I had the Fuji system (24-120 equiv), it's made me realise that's exactly the sort of travel lens I want for the Z series - i.e. a native 24-120 F4 VR in Z format (without having to use the FTZ adaptor), oh and whilst we are at it, a native Z 70-300 VR zoom would be nice too.

Think I'm just getting impatient.
TBH I've been the other way, I was always hoping for a 24-70mm f4 for travel for the G series but it never came, so the new lens is perfect for me. Of course with the Z7 I can use it in DX mode giving me 105mm with 19mp (y)

Since I got the Z7 I've hardly used the Fuji. Mind you we are still moving around, as we have not found a house to buy, so one camera one lens has suited most of the time.
I too like this focal length for travel, so in the end it will come down to weight I expect as they are both good cameras.
Not sure I can afford to keep on running 2 systems.

Its a shame after 18months the 70-200 is still not here. I know you can use the old lenses but it was a bit of a deal breaker for me. Im happy with the A73 though (if the handling suits!). It has taken Sony forever to release a 35mm 1.8 thogh but its finally here!

I also expected the 70-200 to be out by now or at least announced...Especially after mockups appearing half a year ago. But the thing is...I also know it'll be around the 2500 GBP mark, which is in my "wait till I can get it for half price" category :)

Its a shame after 18months the 70-200 is still not here. I know you can use the old lenses but it was a bit of a deal breaker for me. Im happy with the A73 though (if the handling suits!). It has taken Sony forever to release a 35mm 1.8 thogh but its finally here!
TBH if the Sony ergonomics suited me I'd have jumped ship ages ago, after all at the moment they are the better cameras. That being said I am really happy with the Z7 and its output.
I also expected the 70-200 to be out by now or at least announced...Especially after mockups appearing half a year ago. But the thing is...I also know it'll be around the 2500 GBP mark, which is in my "wait till I can get it for half price" category :)
It will be almost impossible for me to justify tbh, I only use the 70-200mm 2-3 times/year so having to shell out an extra £1500-1800 over the lens I already have just isn't worth it.

Back