Nikon Z* mirrorless

Yes, I believe it includes the high extended since the update.
Thanks. I've just actually had a quick look around and it appears that it's always had AF changes, it was just exposure changes that didn't happen but they do now. I don't know why manufacturers make it so difficult to find out such info though :rolleyes:

Thought at first that the patch of light behind the front wheel was a side profile of John Lennon’s face ... (must check my meds)

You really should ;) :p

Well it's in my basket :oops: :$:oops: :$

A quick question for you all do the Tamron G2 lenses work ok with the adapter?

I really cannot believe that 120 gb card is only £50 more then the 64 gb so tempting but I'm always worried about card corrupting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's in my basket :oops: :$:oops: :$

I really cannot believe that 120 gb card is only £50 more then the 64 gb so tempting but I'm always worried about card corrupting!
Where've you seen the 120GB card? XQD cards are allegedly much more stable and robust than SD, but of course you can always be unlucky.

Just idly wondering if anyone had tried the 24mm f/1.8G ED AF-S Nikkor on their Z? I've got the 35mm Z, which is a superb lens but the focal length, for me, is neither fish nor fowl.

I'm toying with the idea of a D850 but quite fancy mirrorless. Is the Z7 a real contender for the 850 AF speed wise?
It's a "contender" but it's not a match imo, the D850 is slightly better overall. However, it's a question of whether the Z7 is good enough, and that will depend on the user. For example was my D750 good enough? Yes. Is it as good as the D850? No. The same applies with the Z7. I would say the Z7 is more on par with the D750, except in low light low contrast scenes where it's not quite as quick to lock on.

If you're a pro shooting sports or wildlife where getting the shot is absolutely critical to making a living then the Z7 isn't there. If you're a hobbiest that has high demands but not the highest demands then the Z7 should be fine. For me the biggest area that the Z7 loses out to the D850 is frame rate, the difference between 5.5fps and 9fps is noticeably, especially blackout times.

All this being said, I prefer using the Z7 over the D850 although I don't put the Z7 through the same demands as my main sports and wildlife camera is now the EM1-II.

Just idly wondering if anyone had tried the 24mm f/1.8G ED AF-S Nikkor on their Z? I've got the 35mm Z, which is a superb lens but the focal length, for me, is neither fish nor fowl.

I see what you're getting at but for me, a 35mm is ideal for low light interior group shots where at times some control over depth of field is required yet you can get more in than with a 50mm. No other f/l can quite do that and I used your 23mm on the Fuji a lot. Having said that, for outdoor landscapes, most of the time you're fine with the zoom, I reckon.

Apologies for completely failing to address your question -- perhaps the idea is to deflect a bit of GAS ;). I have astonishingly little just now but perhaps that's because I haven't done much testing yet of any of the three most recent purchases......

I see what you're getting at but for me, a 35mm is ideal for low light interior group shots where at times some control over depth of field is required yet you can get more in than with a 50mm. No other f/l can quite do that and I used your 23mm on the Fuji a lot. Having said that, for outdoor landscapes, most of the time you're fine with the zoom, I reckon.

Apologies for completely failing to address your question -- perhaps the idea is to deflect a bit of GAS ;). I have astonishingly little just now but perhaps that's because I haven't done much testing yet of any of the three most recent purchases......
Yes, I agree about the usefulness of a wide, controllable aperture but for me 35mm is too close to 50mm and not wide enough for, for instance, outdoor night shots (astrophotography without the seriousness) or interiors of dark factories, derelict sites, or show caves. For that I need 24mm or wider. I am also considering one of the wide Nikon F manual lenses for this. As you well know, I don’t like redundant kit lying about.

. . .

Ive got the 85/1.8 and the 24-70 /2.8 both G and they work fine - firmware updates available on Tamron site. The 85 definitely benefited from the f/w update wrt focusing :)

Last edited:
Ordered and kept my original too, just in case. As one shows out of stock and the other available end of sept.
It won't let me add another to my basket either???? Fishy smelling me thinks, hopefully not though.
I must have ordered the last one.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree about the usefulness of a wide, controllable aperture but for me 35mm is too close to 50mm and not wide enough for, for instance, outdoor night shots (astrophotography without the seriousness) or interiors of dark factories, derelict sites, or show caves. For that I need 24mm or wider. I am also considering one of the wide Nikon F manual lenses for this. As you well know, I don’t like redundant kit lying about.

For caves and astro at the very least, a 24mm or wider is indeed needed -- I agree entirely. The 35mm has a different function and it's maybe one you have little use for. I'm hoping that these sort of situations, my quite fast (f2.4) Irix 15mm will come in handy. If you're serious about a 24mm f1.8 then it's surely worth waiting for the native version due before long unless you're definitely only interested in second hand.

Is that legit from amazon and not a third party? 4 years warranty? Something isn't 100%

Nital Card is some sort of Italian service with whom Amazon obviously has dealings. I can't see any evidence that the cameras are grey (though they might be) but they are only ever on offer for a very short time at suspiciously low prices. Would love to know more as well

For caves and astro at the very least, a 24mm or wider is indeed needed -- I agree entirely. The 35mm has a different function and it's maybe one you have little use for. I'm hoping that these sort of situations, my quite fast (f2.4) Irix 15mm will come in handy. If you're serious about a 24mm f1.8 then it's surely worth waiting for the native version due before long unless you're definitely only interested in second hand.
I've been taking a serious look at the Nikon 20mm f1.8G. Looks like it would cut it for me. Not a bad price either from the likes of Panamoz etc. The Z version of the 24mm will surely be around the £1K mark?

I've been taking a serious look at the Nikon 20mm f1.8G. Looks like it would cut it for me. Not a bad price either from the likes of Panamoz etc. The Z version of the 24mm will surely be around the £1K mark?
So serious, in fact, that I’ve just ordered one from E-Infin. So I daresay my 35mm will need disposing of.

So serious, in fact, that I’ve just ordered one from E-Infin. So I daresay my 35mm will need disposing of.

grrr -- every time you buy a lens I'm also interested in, I should wait month or two in case you want to sell yours :mad:. I've of course already got the 35 -- fortunately an Amazon warehouse offering at around £200 less than the current price. But a 20mm should be almost ideal for your stated purposes.

Last edited:
Back