Nikon Z* mirrorless

I do get it, if I was filthy rich a lens like this would interest me, as I know not very many will have the privilege. But knowing me, I'd mostly shoot it stopped down to F2 :D I'm not really a massive shallow DOF guy, don't get the fascination. I can enjoy it, when needed , but I don't really want or need every other image 90% blurred out.

It's also a mammoth thing to have to carry about just for that purpose. I honestly cannot see even the most hardcore pros buying in. But, I don't think that's Nikon's idea, it's one of those they will happily take a loss on to show off.

Same for me. I do the occasional shallow DoF thing but mostly I like to get the eyes and actually often the whole head in focus.

I had a quick read of that Peta Pixel article and I can see his point but I do keep thinking that this lens has got people talking and will continue to do so for some time.

I can see why, very few want a bit F-off behemoth like this, but they are crying out for more variety in the affordable realm. Why anyone would buy this ugly beast is beyond me, it's like £6k+ for an extra stop [or so] DOF and light gathering?? I wonder if those who buy it will actually use it much at f/0.95
I can see barely anyone needing it even wanting this lens too!

The thing about a halo product is people should actually want it, I can’t think of many f mount users who wouldn’t want a 600/f4 lens if Nikon were giving them away but I’m not sure this lens has quite the same appeal!

I can see barely anyone needing it even wanting this lens too!

The thing about a halo product is people should actually want it, I can’t think of many f mount users who wouldn’t want a 600/f4 lens if Nikon were giving them away but I’m not sure this lens has quite the same appeal!

Agree, if they're going to go exotic i should be smething really special to entice the bigger spenders who might actually make good use of the gear. Something like a 300mm f/2 even, or like you say a 600mm F4 - they'd be monsters but useful ones.

Obviously it needs time, but going on Nikon's DX history I'm not going to expect much.
I can't see why you'd pick anything other than Fuji for aps-c now. They're the only ones who seem to take the format seriously.
Must resist, must resist ;) :p

Been offline for a few days and it's amazing the catching up you have to do ;) I have the say the Z50 is cheaper than I thought, but it's still a bit disappointing. It looks as though Nikon hasn't improved fps with real time view yet either which is disappointing. I'm not sure who this camera is pitched at tbh, it's certainly not budget to give newbies a Nikon mirrorless option, neither is it in the league of the D500 (as reflected in the price obviously).

I'm puzzled by the Z50 too. I was genuinely curious to see what they would bring to the table for APSC, I expected a lot more before I'd be remotely tempted. IMO the X-H1 and XT3 are still the power houses in that realm

What would have tempted me? IBIS, a larger more rugged body [I dislike very small bodies in general] - a higher res sensor, a joystick and fully functional touch screen [this one shuts off when you use the evf] - they're not big asks in 2019.

Was a time competitors would do their best to outclass one another with each release, now it seems just leveling with them is enough. Pretty boring for the consumer. One of them has to grow some balls and push ahead at some stage. Whether it's FF or APSC, we're just seeing the same thing in different forms across the board, all of them lacking in at least one area.

The Canon 90D actually looks better than this Z50

Last edited:
I have the say the Z50 is cheaper than I thought, but it's still a bit disappointing. It looks as though Nikon hasn't improved fps with real time view yet either which is disappointing. I'm not sure who this camera is pitched at tbh, it's certainly not budget to give newbies a Nikon mirrorless option, neither is it in the league of the D500 (as reflected in the price obviously).
If you only offer one camera in a range, then that becomes the entry level. I suppose it is also top of the range too. ;) :LOL: I can't see what they could lose to get a lower model other than the viewfinder, which could look like cheap nerfing which I think would be a bad move.

What do you think will come next, a higher performance DX akin to the D500, a higher res DX or higher performance FF camera in a similar bracket to the a9(II)? I'm not sure either will be anytime soon.

I enjoyed Jared Polin's video on the Z50, as he got out in the real world with the camera, and tried a few different things.

If you only offer one camera in a range, then that becomes the entry level. I suppose it is also top of the range too. ;) :LOL: I can't see what they could lose to get a lower model other than the viewfinder, which could look like cheap nerfing which I think would be a bad move.

What do you think will come next, a higher performance DX akin to the D500, a higher res DX or higher performance FF camera in a similar bracket to the a9(II)? I'm not sure either will be anytime soon.

I enjoyed Jared Polin's video on the Z50, as he got out in the real world with the camera, and tried a few different things.
I'm not sure what they could do to make it cheaper either, but I still don't understand where this is being pitched tbh, for me it seems a bit of no-mans land.

Of course, it's easy for me to criticise, I don't know the cost and struggles that go into it. Plus I've just seen the price of the A6500 and A6600 :eek:

I'm not sure what they could do to make it cheaper either, but I still don't understand where this is being pitched tbh, for me it seems a bit of no-mans land.

Of course, it's easy for me to criticise, I don't know the cost and struggles that go into it. Plus I've just seen the price of the A6500 and A6600 :eek:

For whatever reason I thought he A6600 was about £1K, but it's £1400!?? That will get you an A7III grey

I have the money ready for a mirrorless crop body but I want at least D500/7DMKII spec and preferably size as well.
They would have to use something larger than the Z6/Z7 body, and I can't see that unless a D5/6 equivalent mirrorless body is larger than the Z6/7 body, and they used it for their FF and crop 'fast' cameras. Isn't the point of mirrorless mainly small cameras though! :oops: :$ That's what we were told for so many years. ;) :LOL:

They would have to use something larger than the Z6/Z7 body, and I can't see that unless a D5/6 equivalent mirrorless body is larger than the Z6/7 body, and they used it for their FF and crop 'fast' cameras. Isn't the point of mirrorless mainly small cameras though! :oops: :$ That's what we were told for so many years. ;) :LOL:

I don't think the point was necessarily smaller bodies, but a smaller overall kit. You really appreciate an ML system most when you have all your kit in a bag and head out for a trek. I love ML, I think it is the way forward, but I don't actually like really small bodies. For me the Z50 for example would be just below what I'd consider big enough. I like a good grip and to feel a bit of weight in hand when shooting. But we're all different, some will probably wish it was even smaller

I don't think the point was necessarily smaller bodies, but a smaller overall kit. You really appreciate an ML system most when you have all your kit in a bag and head out for a trek. I love ML, I think it is the way forward, but I don't actually like really small bodies. For me the Z50 for example would be just below what I'd consider big enough. I like a good grip and to feel a bit of weight in hand when shooting. But we're all different, some will probably wish it was even smaller

Isn’t the z50 about same size as the Fuji?

Isn’t the z50 about same size as the Fuji?

Not the Fuji I use:
http://j.mp/2q3FNQw

Like I say, it's just a little below. I find the Fuji XT bodies about same, would prefer them a little chunkier. It does look to have a decent enough grip though if you check the overhead view

Last edited:
it's supposed to be set to f22 so the lens aperture is controlled by the camera with most of the Nikons. The advantage of that is additionally you get EXIF info on aperture for instance. The only point in the tape is if you're one of the minority where the lens behaves erratically. Mine was fine though I decided in the end to go for the IRIX 15mm which is a better lens though much depends on the sample and a really good Samyang will certainly be a bargain.

I'll try this out later, it would be handy to control the aperture via the camera (y)

I'll try this out later, it would be handy to control the aperture via the camera (y)
The front dial by default controls aperture on all lenses. If the lens has an aperture ring, the ring has to be set to the minimum f number usually marked in orange to operate in this way. Not sure if the Z bodies have it but on my D810, there is a custom function you can change that allows using the aperture ring instead of the control dial on the body itself.

f9 Controls > customise command dials > aperture setting - You have the choice between sub-command dial (default) or Aperture ring. When set to aperture ring, you no longer get fEE error on the camera when changing the aperture on the lens.

Still haven't cracked the code as to how to get them as sharp on here as on my laptop screen.
You never will, and they'll never be as sharp as Flickr either. Bit crazy when it's a photography forum that posted images are degraded in quality, but then I don't know the mechanics of it all.

I've given up lugging around my 70-200 with the adapter for close portraits - it's just too flippin' big and looks stupid on the Z.
So, switching to the native 85mm seems to be doing the trick for now (but will defo get the new 70-200 when it ever appears - and if not ridic price!)
Wendell Pierce by amanda benson, on Flickr
I thought I recognised him. Thankfully you put his name as I would have went on a Google hunt to see if I could find who I thought it was to see if it were the same chap. :LOL:

I think the main thing I have seen him acting in was Suits, when I used to watch that. Nice portrait, but the letters behind distract a bit.

Last edited:
Reading Nikon's short explanation for this ring it sounds interesting, exposure compensation.

Take control

The silent control ring can be used for key functions including manual focus, aperture control (great for fading in or out during video recording), or exposure compensation.

nikkor_z_dx_50-250mm_4_5-6_3_vr_control_ring--original.jpg

Last edited:
Shame they bringing out a long dx zoom
For the Z before a FF zoom

Z6 with kit lens £1745 I must resist I must resist lol... I know the A7iii is a better camera but not a large margin and has better lens line up.. Just something keep telling me go back to Nikon i think due to the body being a better body for handling and buttons layout...

I've given up lugging around my 70-200 with the adapter for close portraits - it's just too flippin' big and looks stupid on the Z.
So, switching to the native 85mm seems to be doing the trick for now (but will defo get the new 70-200 when it ever appears - and if not ridic price!)
New 70-200mm f2.8 will be a crazy price, I reckon £2500-3000, plus it will still look big and stupid ;) Obviously not quite as big and stupid as the current one with FTZ though. I'd love to swap to the native 85mm and 70-200mm when it comes out, but I just don't have the money nor can I justify it with the amount of photography I do these days.
85mm 1.8S discounted again at a few dealers. Not sure whether they have stock though.

https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-Z-System-Lenses/Nikon-85mm-f1.8-S-Z-Mount-Lens
Looks a good price that, but I'll still stick with the G version :)

So the battery pack is available for pre-order, is anyone ordering? For me it's the biggest waste of time, what are Nikon thinking?????? I know they said it wouldn't have any functions from the get-go but I was kinda hoping they'd do a u-turn, but nope. Who's going to fork out £179 just to add extra weight and bulk, and I'd think make it more awkward to shoot in portrait orientation? Surely rather than having the extra bulk and weight you'd rather just swap the battery IF it runs low?

So the battery pack is available for pre-order, is anyone ordering? For me it's the biggest waste of time, what are Nikon thinking?????? I know they said it wouldn't have any functions from the get-go but I was kinda hoping they'd do a u-turn, but nope. Who's going to fork out £179 just to add extra weight and bulk, and I'd think make it more awkward to shoot in portrait orientation? Surely rather than having the extra bulk and weight you'd rather just swap the battery IF it runs low?

Can’t see how they could add any functionality. Not aware of electrical connection to afford it.
Not for me though.
Maybe long lens owners might benefit.

Does the z eye AF automatically pick eye up without pressing shutter button like the latest Sony does

Can’t see how they could add any functionality. Not aware of electrical connection to afford it.
Not for me though.
Maybe long lens owners might benefit.
No, there's no electrical connection and it was said from day one that it would be grip only, but I've been holding onto a glimmer of hope that after the fallout from that announcement they'd come up with a solution, whether it be via bluetooth, remote or something else. Obviously they couldn't/still didn't deem it necessary.

What really irks me is that they've designed the Z's from scratch to be their next flagships and they have two 'serious' flaws. One memory card and no grip functionality. Now if I'm perfectly honest neither of these things bother me directly (can cope with a single slot and only use grip once or twice/year) but it's just the principle of it all. Someone was probably paid a hell of a lot of money to sign off on the fact that it has no electrical connection a grip :mad:

Does the z eye AF automatically pick eye up without pressing shutter button like the latest Sony does
Can't remember Andy, only tried it once and didn't have a great deal of success. Most likely user error/inexperience but it's not something I'll use so didn't bother trying to figure it out.
Maybe this will help you save your money ;)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxqa_f6LsQI

Need some thoughts on this image...cross posted from the Landscape forum as well.
Is it worthwhile or should I just chuck it?

Minimalistic landscape by luftwalk, on Flickr
A keeper for me, but I would crop the bottom inch or so, even if it means losing the very faint foreground hill.

Back