Nikon Z* mirrorless

I won’t ever be able to afford a Nikon 85mm f1.4 so it’s not something I’m interested in. Just thought it strange to be missing.

I'd whinge at the cost of the Sony f1.4 (I say Sony as I don't know how much Nikon would charge) but I'd buy if it was something I really wanted but what I don't want is a bazooka of a lens at any price as I wont want to use it.

Maybe in time there'll be f1.4 3rd party options for the Nikon. They too will probably be larger lenses because that's the way the market seems to be going but they may be priced lower.

Just revisited the Z lens roadmap and there seems to be a ‘strange’ ommision to me, no really fast 85mm. A 50mm f1.2 is listed but no 85mm f1.2 or f1.4. I’d have thought it was a given they’d be bringing one out, I thought it was a go to lens for a large portion of portrait folk?

You need to remember the roadmap is only till 2021. Might happen in 2022. They can't make all the lenses everyone would want in 2 years. I was quite surprised to see such good coverage of telephoto lens tbh.

I'd whinge at the cost of the Sony f1.4 (I say Sony as I don't know how much Nikon would charge) but I'd buy if it was something I really wanted but what I don't want is a bazooka of a lens at any price as I wont want to use it.

Maybe in time there'll be f1.4 3rd party options for the Nikon. They too will probably be larger lenses because that's the way the market seems to be going but they may be priced lower.
I think Sigma Art will start to be developed for the system sometime in the near future.
You need to remember the roadmap is only till 2021. Might happen in 2022. They can't make all the lenses everyone would want in 2 years. I was quite surprised to see such good coverage of telephoto lens tbh.
True, but I’d have thought an 85mm f1.4 more important than a 50mm f1.2. Just shows how out of touch I am ;)

70-200 F4 is missing as is 70-300 variable aperture. Both very popular lenses in F mount.

70-200 F4 is missing as is 70-300 variable aperture. Both very popular lenses in F mount.
I think the 100-400mm is a ‘substitute’, although depends if it will be high end like the Sony.

I think Sigma Art will start to be developed for the system sometime in the near future.
True, but I’d have thought an 85mm f1.4 more important than a 50mm f1.2. Just shows how out of touch I am ;)

Sigma makes lenses for mounts that sell well.
Depends on who you ask I guess but 50 is more "normal"

I think the 100-400mm is a ‘substitute’, although depends if it will be high end like the Sony.
Well it's part of the 'S' line. But 200-600 isn't.

Sigma makes lenses for mounts that sell well.
Depends on who you ask I guess but 50 is more "normal"

Well it's part of the 'S' line. But 200-600 isn't.

Nothing normal about a 50mm 1.2.

Sigma will likely do what they did with E ARTs. As long as they can figure out the AF protocol or if its same/similar to F lenses.

I thought the FTZ was supposed to be really good so why won't people just use that with the Sigma lenses?

Last edited:

Sigma will likely do what they did with E ARTs. As long as they can figure out the AF protocol or if its same/similar to F lenses.

I thought the FTZ was supposed to be really good so why won't people just use that with the Sigma lenses?
I meant 50mm is more normal that 85mm irrespective of the aperture.

Because unless you buy one adapter per lens it becomes fiddly changing adapter between lenses unless you only use F mount lenses and glue the adapter to it permanently :p

I meant 50mm is more normal that 85mm irrespective of the aperture.

Because unless you buy one adapter per lens it becomes fiddly changing adapter between lenses unless you only use F mount lenses and glue the adapter to it permanently :p

I think he mentioned the aperture to be specific.

Unless you leave the adapter on the body.

The FTZ is very good yeah, not tried it with 3rd party though.

TBH I’m not sure I’d want to buy any more adapted lenses. It’s ok with the 50mm f1.8g but with lenses like the 70-200mm adding that extra length makes it front heavy.

Maybe lenses is where the profit is?
Most definitely is but it's short term thinking vs. longer term.

Recently at Sony events the reps have been carrying sigma mc-11 with them and an ART 35 lens!

One should think about selling the system.

Last edited:
Most definitely is but it's short term thinking vs. longer term.

Recently at Sony events the reps have been carrying sigma mc-11 with them and an ART 35 lens!

One should think about selling the system.
I don’t profess to understand the intricacies of the market tbh, but if lenses are where the profit is then I can understand why Nikon try to force you to use native glass. Not the best for the consumer, but they’re a business after all.
I still struggle with the price of today’s lenses though, from all the big players. Canon’s RF glass takes the biscuit though, that’s one expensive system.

I don’t profess to understand the intricacies of the market tbh, but if lenses are where the profit is then I can understand why Nikon try to force you to use native glass. Not the best for the consumer, but they’re a business after all.
I still struggle with the price of today’s lenses though, from all the big players. Canon’s RF glass takes the biscuit though, that’s one expensive system.

I don't think any one here does. We can still debate with what we feel.
I just felt Nikon was a bit immature in locking it down.

Every man and his dog knows the EF protocol and the RF isn't much different it seems.
The L folks have made an alliance.

Z is the only one going at it on its own.

I don't think any one here does. We can still debate with what we feel.
I just felt Nikon was a bit immature in locking it down.

Every man and his dog knows the EF protocol and the RF isn't much different it seems.
The L folks have made an alliance.

Z is the only one going at it on its own.
Not sure what you mean about the EF and RF protocol?

The mount protocols i.e. the specifications used by the lens to communicate with the body and vice versa.
Sorry I got that bit, but are you saying RF and EF mount is almost the same? Have Canon opened theirs up?

Sorry I got that bit, but are you saying RF and EF mount is almost the same? Have Canon opened theirs up?
No but the adapter is basically a pass through for most part with extra pin for the control ring is what the claims seem to be.
happy to be corrected on this but this what people on forums seem to be claiming.

Edit:
Hmmm... Just googled to see if there was any more information and looks like no one really knows for sure:
https://www.canonrumors.com/a-hypothesis-concerning-the-rf-mount/

I guess it could well be as much of a mystery as Z mount in that case.

Last edited:
Looks like I posted wrong bloody size

Yes it a cracking lens it continues to amaze me and the camera

No filter prob my processing lol

just checked it on LR hmm somthing strange happening on Flickr

Last edited:
This is one I'm looking forward to especially as its S-Line.
Come close to pulling the trigger on a 80-400 until I saw they had added this to their roadmap.
Could be two years before you get it. Might me worth buying the 80-400mm till it's actually announced

Really looking forward to these new lens to cone

Back