Nikon Z* mirrorless

Blimey since I moved to the Z this thread come alive

Absolutely no regrets about buying a Z6 back in January. I absolutely love using this camera. I recently got the 50mm 1.8S and it actually blew my mind. The single card does still make me a little nervous, but real-time SnapBridge is better than nothing of the wheel ever did come off. D810 has slipped well and truly down to 2nd body status.

Yeah I posted here.... :D lol
Sticking with the Sony A9 for now....
Ideal camera mmmm...

Nikon Z7 type body with dual SD slots
Nikon Z7 build quality and sealing
Nikon Z7 GUI
Sony A9 internals

Job done.... worlds best camera both in technical terms and ergonomics! lol Sony Z9

The Zs aren’t really inferior, on Eye AF then yeah, but most other aspects not really. Sony needed a really good AF system because you cant see the AF box ;)

It seems with Sony’s 4th attempt at designing an A7 body they’re getting there. No more flappy plastic port covers, and some aspects inspired by the Z series like the AF On button, better joystick head and grip size.

In all seriousness though when the A7IV is released there won’t really be anything to criticise if it takes on those changes. Include one of the newer EVFs it would be close to perfect all rounder.

Ergos, menu and touch screen are what I see most dislike about Sony. The new body design of the A7IV and A9II fix any complaints with that I should think. I think menu and touch screen would come together, implement touch around a new menu designed for it. I didn’t mind the handling of the A7III, but only had it in my hands for a few minutes, can’t comment on long term.

I do hope Nikon improve AF to match/better Sony, so I don’t have to keep reading from the DP Review Sony fanbois “Sony’s AF” this “Sony AF” that on Nikon articles.

Yeah I posted here.... :D lol
Sticking with the Sony A9 for now....
Ideal camera mmmm...

Nikon Z7 GUI
Sony A9 internals

Job done.... worlds best camera both in technical terms and ergonomics! lol Sony Z9
Why are you even entertaining the idea of a nikon? What does it currently have that your sony doesn't have.?

Or are you just curious?

Why are you even entertaining the idea of a nikon? What does it currently have that your sony doesn't have.?

Or are you just curious?
It was just a mild case of a GAS Attack! :D lol
I was just curious so floated the idea in my head..... both systems are ones to watch and arguable the Nikon has the better ergonomics, design, GUI and 24-70mm f2.8 lens! lol

Nikon Z7 GUI
Sony A9-II internals

Corrected that for you ;)

Nikon seems the place for a gathering of all :D We've probably all shot using their gear at least at some point.
Some of my best memories were when using my Birckon D7000 with the awesome Birckkor 17-55mm f2.8 tank..... oh and the Fuji X100 :eek:
Both had Sony sensors I think, lol :D

Nikon seems the place for a gathering of all :D We've probably all shot using their gear at least at some point.
This (Z6) is the first time I've shot with Nikon since I ran a couple of Nikon FMs covering rallying in the 70s and 80s. Paradoxically I converted a team of Nikon pro photographers in the media team at work from Nikon film to Nikon digital, but I just let them buy the cameras they wanted, to keep the peace. ;). It was that or Canon. I ran a Canon 10D then ...

1x D90
2x D7000
4x D700
1x D800
4 or 5x D750s

I practically have shares in Nikon.

Last edited:
Some of my best memories were when using my Birckon D7000 with the awesome Birckkor 17-55mm f2.8 tank..... oh and the Fuji X100 :eek:
Both had Sony sensors I think, lol :D

Well, it makes sense for the camera companies to let the tv manufacturer produce the sensors :ROFLMAO:

2x D7000
4x D700
1x D800
4 or 5x D750s

my first Dslr was actually a Sony ... A200. It even had IBIS!

Last edited:
Would you guys trust a Nikon Z to shoot a wedding, I've been asked to do one for a friend next year. I've not really tested the AF in anger yet as my Z7 has pretty much only took static stuff.

It was just a mild case of a GAS Attack! :D lol
I was just curious so floated the idea in my head..... both systems are ones to watch and arguable the Nikon has the better ergonomics, design, GUI and 24-70mm f2.8 lens! lol
Better ergonomic is not the case anymore with the new Sony bodies.

I give you better menu touch control though.

And 24-70? The gm is already good. Where's the 70-200 on the nikon? Or the 100-400?

Or just about a truck ton of missing lenses hehe.

Definitely, can see its more than capable of shooting pretty much anything.
Music to my ears (y). Not ideal but I'd be using two totally different cameras, EM1-II with a wider lens and then the Z7 with the 85mm f1.8G, I think that's a better option than switching lenses throughout the day. They're not expecting much (thank god) they just want something better than iphone photos with heads and feet cut off :LOL:

1x D90
2x D7000
4x D700
1x D800
4 or 5x D750s

Oh maaaan... my first proper camera was a Nikon D40!!! It had a Sony CCD 6.1 MP sensor and the images it produced were pretty good.

If the next Nikon Z body get's the following features I may consider a move....

Better AF performance including Eye-AF etc.
Additional card slot.

Would like blackout free silent shooting but not too concerned if it didnt get these.

Nikon's body design, build, sealing and user interface is still market leading.

I would probable got for a zoom lens and possible 1 or 2 prime lenses. That it. :eek:

Would you guys trust a Nikon Z to shoot a wedding, I've been asked to do one for a friend next year. I've not really tested the AF in anger yet as my Z7 has pretty much only took static stuff.

I shot weddings with a Nikon D200 and D90, not at the same time, I didn't even have back up bodies. SO I know I would, though I'd beg borrow or steal a back up bdy somewhere and switch cards every few hours JIC.

Up until the A7RII Sony only single slot too. I'm sure many a wedding was shot using those.

Oh maaaan... my first proper camera was a Nikon D40!!! It had a Sony CCD 6.1 MP sensor and the images it produced were pretty good.

If the next Nikon Z body get's the following features I may consider a move....

Better AF performance including Eye-AF etc.
Additional card slot.

Would like blackout free silent shooting but not too concerned if it didnt get these.

Nikon's body design, build, sealing and user interface is still market leading.

I would probable got for a zoom lens and possible 1 or 2 prime lenses. That it. :eek:
What I always deem my first proper camera was the Nikon RD2. Sure it was only a point and shoot really but I still regarded it as a proper camera ;)

I shot weddings with a Nikon D200 and D90, not at the same time, I didn't even have back up bodies. SO I know I would, though I'd beg borrow or steal a back up bdy somewhere and switch cards every few hours JIC.

Up until the A7RII Sony only single slot too. I'm sure many a wedding was shot using those.
I don't actually know anyone with another Z tbh, but I'd have a second body in the form of my EM1-II. That has dual slots so I'd at least have something ;) It's odd isn't it how we've become paranoid about the two card thing, I know a number of professions are happy with iPhones these days and they have no back up per se.

TBH I'll be bricking it on the day, I'm not a very confident person. But I've been saying for ages that I'd like some experience so I can't keep turning opportunities down forever. It's a nice 'easy' start too, I think there's only 12 people at the wedding (y)

Better ergonomic is not the case anymore with the new Sony bodies.

I give you better menu touch control though.

And 24-70? The gm is already good. Where's the 70-200 on the nikon? Or the 100-400?

Or just about a truck ton of missing lenses hehe.

You should check out the Z bodies, ergonomically they are the best mirrorless bodies to date, even better than new Sony A9 II etc.
The 24-70mm f2.8 GM is good but the Nikkor is better lol.
Remember when Sony first came out, how it was ridiculed for lack of lenses..... Nikon is at the same point. However for my uses a decent 24-70mm, 50mm and 85mm setup is more than enough. I don't shoot professionally anymore. :eek:

I don't actually know anyone with another Z tbh, but I'd have a second body in the form of my EM1-II. That has dual slots so I'd at least have something ;) It's odd isn't it how we've become paranoid about the two card thing, I know a number of professions are happy with iPhones these days and they have no back up per se.

TBH I'll be bricking it on the day, I'm not a very confident person. But I've been saying for ages that I'd like some experience so I can't keep turning opportunities down forever. It's a nice 'easy' start too, I think there's only 12 people at the wedding (y)
I have shot a wedding with a Nikon D7000, Fuji XT-2 and Sony A7R II :D :eek: Out of all of them, I found the Fuji most frustrating. Faffing about with them retro dials just added more time to capturing the photo.

Last edited:

You are certainly more than competent enough on the technical side. Watch a bunch of wedding photography vids, make up a shot list inc all the vital moments [I would ask the B&G if there's any specific images they must have - for example, find out if they're releasing a dove or throwing the bouquet] and have it with you on the day tick off as you go, get plenty of candids in between the usual expected images [most B&G tend to prefer those in the end] and just keep up the pace. i.e, don't get lost at the bar - keep hydrated and have fun ;)

The single card slot thing is a strange one. Yes many of us got away with shooting with 1 card without issues. I personally haven't had a card fail. But god forbid it were to happen at a wedding. and I was unable to recover the photos. Imagine if the client is reasonably clued up and questions why I had chosen a camera with 1 slot when for years and years there have been options with 2.

Or am I just a victim of the Internet and should my paranoia be replaced by the ignorance I once had when I used the 2nd card slot for data overflow rather than back up?

One of my cameras is the canon (dropping the C-bomb!!) eos r. And after the fw update its bloody brilliant. I was going to shoot a wedding with it last week but bottled it a few days before due to the above mentioned paranoia. Bloody Internet.

I have shot a wedding with a Nikon D7000, Fuji XT-2 and Sony A7R II :D :eek: Out of all of them, I found the Fuji most frustrating. Faffing about with them retro dials just added more time to capturing the photo.

If you had taken the damn thing out of the cabinet before you would have worked out you don't need to use those dials :facepalm:

If you had taken the damn thing out of the cabinet before you would have worked out you don't need to use those dials :facepalm:
Fair point, it wasn't just that..... it just felt like a step back from my Sony A7R II bodies which I had prior to it. ISO was a notable difference.

Back