Nikon Z* mirrorless

As it looks like I'll be picking up a Z6 tomorrow can anyone recommend the best place to get a XQD card ?

I should be able get out with mine this weekend again all being well now other half is recovering well. Miss it

As it looks like I'll be picking up a Z6 tomorrow can anyone recommend the best place to get a XQD card ?
Justin - are you able to share where you are getting it from please? That price is even cheaper than Amazon have it for.

Got my second card from E-Infin, but obviously not next-day delivery. (The original card came with the camera from Panamoz)

Yup IMHO the Z 50mm is sharper than the 55mm i had with the sony.

So far I am impress with both of my Z lens along with the Z6

Yup IMHO the Z 50mm is sharper than the 55mm i had with the sony.

So far I am impress with both of my Z lens along with the Z6
Sharpness vs 55, debatable, rendering, imo the Nikon is nicer, I want to like the 55 so much (I bought it 3 times to try like it) but I just can’t. It’s boring.

Sharpness vs 55, debatable, rendering, imo the Nikon is nicer, I want to like the 55 so much (I bought it 3 times to try like it) but I just can’t. It’s boring.
Glad someone agrees with me lol

Glad someone agrees with me lol

there’s a few of us that have said it all along and then there are others who love the 55, Just the way it is. :) The 55 has rapid af in stills and video, it’s tiny and weighs nothing so those are huge positives in a small system.

Last edited:

You should probably stop buying them then :p

both sharpness and rendering is debatable tbh. What isn't is the better CA control and the price of Z 50/1.8 after the recent reduction.

there’s a few of us that have said it all along and then there are others who love the 55, Just the way it is. :) The 55 has rapid af in stills and video, it’s tiny and weighs nothing so those are huge positives in a small system.

I am one of the those that like the FE55. but don't care much for the 50-ish mm focal length in general.

Last edited:
both sharpness and rendering is debatable tbh. What isn't is the better CA control and the price of Z 50/1.8 after the recent reduction.

yeah, I was debating with cagey that I would definitely pay the extra for it over the G the other day, to my eyes it’s a great fairly cheap 50... but I like my mk3 af, video and art to much to change, z6ii maybe, who knows, roadmap looks alright but I’d like to see more 3rd party involvement or 1.4 and not 1.2 lenses unless reasonably priced.

Last edited:
yeah, I was debating with cagey that I would definitely pay the extra for it over the G the other day, to my eyes it’s a great fairly cheap 50... but I like my mk3 af, video and art to much to change, z6ii maybe, who knows, roadmap looks alright but I’d like to see more 3rd party involvement or 1.4 and not 1.2 lenses unless reasonably priced.

I prefer the Z bodies to the Sony, but I am interested in the upcoming Tamron primes for Sony, they're only 2.8 but they do 1:2 macro, they're cheap enough [rumored to be around $350] and weather sealed. The 20mm and 35mm would be a nice pair.

Last edited:
I prefer the Z bodies to the Sony, but I am interested in the upcoming Tamron primes for Sony, they're only 2.8 but they do 1:2 macro, they're cheap enough [rumored to be around $350] and weather sealed. The 20mm and 35mm would be a nice pair.
I personally don’t see the point of f2.8 primes, at least not under 100mm. They’re a neither here nor there lens imo. YMMV obviously.

I personally don’t see the point of f2.8 primes, at least not under 100mm. They’re a neither here nor there lens imo. YMMV obviously.

I would much prefer faster too but if I did get one of those I'd also get a faster prime to go with. The close focusing and 0.5x magnification counters the slower aperture for my interests on these. The excellent ISO performance on the likes of the A7III also would help a lot to not make it much of an issue

Last edited:

the 20 @ 2.8 is a fine choice imo, makes a lot of sense at that FL. These will likely also be superb video lenses.

the 20 @ 2.8 is a fine choice imo, makes a lot of sense at that FL. These will likely also be superb video lenses.

I think they'll sell really well, they would be great for video but people like me who love shooting quirky close ups no matter the angle will also love them I think. There's a 24mm too. My favorite lens right now is the 16mm 1.4 Fuji for example, never really enjoyed wider angles in the past but this got me hooked with it's excellent close focus capabilities. Can get right in to 15cm. Even if it was an F2 or 2.8 I'd still like it, though I'd expect it to be a lot cheaper obviously [Fuji do have a 16 2.8 but it doesn't get anywhere as close and has lesser magnification]

Tamron also do a 35 1.8 that does 0.4x magnification for Canon and Nikon but it's a bit of a brick and has to be adapted obviously

Last edited:
Put my 50mm f1.8G up for sale if anyone's interested (y)

Interesting, the difference is night and day on my screen tbh, even the ones posted on here. Not just contrast but sharpness.

What's everyone else seeing, slight difference or marked difference?
I've just looked at them on my 32inch 4k screen and yes agreed there is a night and day difference. My iphone 7 could show no difference however at the viewing size and yesterday at work I looked at them on a 1080p screen which showed a slight difference hence my comments yesterday. So for me at least it is very screen dependant.

Well picked up my Z6 + 24-70 today !! First impressions ? Well it fits in the hand well and seems very solid ! And perhaps a bit heavier than I was expecting !

Just need to save up for the 14-30 now....

2nd impressions ? Even coming from an X-T3 the EVF is stunning - and even without checking if it’s got the latest firmware update the auto focus seems snappy :)

Shame the battery has no charge !!!

2nd impressions ? Even coming from an X-T3 the EVF is stunning - and even without checking if it’s got the latest firmware update the auto focus seems snappy :)

Shame the battery has no charge !!!
How did you manage to check the EVF with a flat battery? :D;)
Did you get it with the FTZ?

Well picked up my Z6 + 24-70 today !! First impressions ? Well it fits in the hand well and seems very solid ! And perhaps a bit heavier than I was expecting !

Just need to save up for the 14-30 now....

I'd say it's more comparable to the XH1 in terms of size and weight. Looking at the specs the body only is just a little heavier than the XT3 with battery in. Add the battery to the Z and it's going to feel heftier - for some reason B&H give the weight for XT3 with battery and memory cards added but on the Z6 body only

Batteries have to be less than 30% charge when shipped I think, but there's usually a little juice in them
Yes, I think the regulations say they shouldn’t be fully charged, nor completely discharged, as this is when they are at their most unstable state.

I'd say it's more comparable to the XH1 in terms of size and weight. Looking at the specs the body only is just a little heavier than the XT3 with battery in. Add the battery to the Z and it's going to feel heftier - for some reason B&H give the weight for XT3 with battery and memory cards added but on the Z6 body only
When I swapped my X-H1 for the Z6 I too found little difference in body weight but somewhat better balanced. I’ve since added a Linn half-case with built-in arca-compatible plate which gives my pinkie something to do. Don’t like battery grips.

Back