Nikon Z* mirrorless

When I swapped my X-H1 for the Z6 I too found little difference in body weight but somewhat better balanced. I’ve since added a Linn half-case with built-in arca-compatible plate which gives my pinkie something to do. Don’t like battery grips.

Same, I bought the XH1 without an additional grip, just got a spare battery instead and it's all I've needed at any time. I like a good grip on a camera by default, though I did have a battery grip perma-attached to my old XT1, because the default grip on that sucks. No battery grip for the Z bodies wouldn't affect me. Looks to be similar size and weight and grip compared to the H1

Looking at them side by side they are very comparable indeed: http://j.mp/2PF3SIc

top down view they're close, the H1 just a bit bulkier and has taller shoulders from the front, it's got a little more finger room by the grip too. But the Z looks comfy enough

Last edited:
Any 3rd party batteries OK with the Z6 ? I normally get on fine with Ex-Pro..

Well picked up my Z6 + 24-70 today !! First impressions ? Well it fits in the hand well and seems very solid ! And perhaps a bit heavier than I was expecting !

Just need to save up for the 14-30 now....
I need to save for that lens too, plus the 85mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8, 70-200mm f2.8 and Z9/Z7-II :facepalm: :LOL:

Is anyone routinely using their Z6 or 7 in DX mode? I have this crazy notion that, for a large proportion of my shots, I could use just my 14-30 if I selectively used DX towards the long end, effectively giving me a 14-45mm lens. Of course, I could just crop, but is there a benefit one way or t’other ?

Is anyone routinely using their Z6 or 7 in DX mode? I have this crazy notion that, for a large proportion of my shots, I could use just my 14-30 if I selectively used DX towards the long end, effectively giving me a 14-45mm lens. Of course, I could just crop, but is there a benefit one way or t’other ?
This is one of the reasons I like the high mp cameras, more effective reach. That being said, the Z6 still gives 10mp in dx mode.

There’s no difference in terms of IQ and overall rendering between using dx mode or cropping in post. The main difference has always been that, in theory, the camera may meter the scene differently in dx mode compared to fx mode as it’s not metering as ‘wide’ a scene. Now with the mirrorless you have the added advantage that the EVF will show you the cropped dx frame rather than the fx frame with a box/grid as you get with DSLRs.

z6 with 24-70s and adaptor 1799 at camera world
Wow that’s cheap, that’s similar price to Panamoz. Are camera world grey then?

Last edited:
Actually Greys of Westminster have it at £1859 and there’s a bonfire discount code giving you a further £25 off, so maybe they’ll stretch further and match?

Is there any way to change or customise the display options during shooting? I can find the display options for playback but not for shooting.

It’s a shame you can’t have the histogram showing with all the data/shooting information

Is there any way to change or customise the display options during shooting? I can find the display options for playback but not for shooting.

It’s a shame you can’t have the histogram showing with all the data/shooting information

I though you can? vie the EVF or the Back screen? Will have a look when i get chance not been able to get it out this weekend as planned :( still looking after my other half she doing just great thou..

This is one of the reasons I like the high mp cameras, more effective reach. That being said, the Z6 still gives 10mp in dx mode.

There’s no difference in terms of IQ and overall rendering between using dx mode or cropping in post. The main difference has always been that, in theory, the camera may meter the scene differently in dx mode compared to fx mode as it’s not metering as ‘wide’ a scene. Now with the mirrorless you have the added advantage that the EVF will show you the cropped dx frame rather than the fx frame with a box/grid as you get with DSLRs.

I'd go along with that too. It can help to switch to DX mode for framing the composition in your head. For many shots, 10mp will be enough resolution. And if there's a particularly dark or bright object in the frame at FX but not DX, then the metering should be more accurate. An obvious use is my 35mm f1.8S converting to a 50mm (approx) though I havn't yet got round to trying this

In my view they’re easier to deal with than Warehouse Express (Wex) because they give a more personal experience.
thanks for the reply just ordered the system from camera world now might need to sell some of my other Nikon cameras / lens :)

I though you can? vie the EVF or the Back screen? Will have a look when i get chance not been able to get it out this weekend as planned :( still looking after my other half she doing just great thou..
Glad to hear she’s doing well mate (y)

I'd go along with that too. It can help to switch to DX mode for framing the composition in your head. For many shots, 10mp will be enough resolution. And if there's a particularly dark or bright object in the frame at FX but not DX, then the metering should be more accurate. An obvious use is my 35mm f1.8S converting to a 50mm (approx) though I havn't yet got round to trying this
I hadn’t reckoned with the exposure changing, but it makes sense. I meant to try it last week but forgot. Might get chance before I am laid up for January.

Lovely images they are mate..

Ive gotta say the Nikon S primes are very good indeed in fact i dont think i can fault any of the Nikon Z lens at the moment

Although I just noticed they don't look great after resizing as they've lost sharpness.
They look OK to me. Thanks for that, I'm contemplating getting the 35mm once I've got the 85mm but it's not a focal length I've really used before hence wanting to see what it's like. I tend to prefer 50mm as it gives a more true to life perspective (imo) but fancy trying a 35mm as a walkabout lens.

They look OK to me. Thanks for that, I'm contemplating getting the 35mm once I've got the 85mm but it's not a focal length I've really used before hence wanting to see what it's like. I tend to prefer 50mm as it gives a more true to life perspective (imo) but fancy trying a 35mm as a walkabout lens.

It could be this work PC but they just look soft to me, but on my mac at full size they are stupidly sharp. Ironically they looked sharper on facebook :LOL:

It's interesting, I bought all three primes, but I bought the 50mm first, but didn't use it much, as I've never really used 50mm much at all. But then I've started on some days just carrying the 35, 50, and 85 around instead of the 24-70. And I've noticed I'm really preferring the 50mm a lot of the time. I think in order of usage right now it's 50mm, 85mm, 35mm.

Back