Nikon Z* mirrorless

In that case you did very well Ian

Anyone use a sigma macro on their z yet?

yes mean stock :) I'm dyslexic and find it hard to post but find this forum very good I'm just slow in answering usually get someone to type for me have to rely on predictive text can get really funny with some of my replies :giggle: how do you find the 50 I'm liking the z6 but still thinking should have got the z7
Sorry, I just assumed it was a predictive text thing.

I agree that it's not great that they took the money without having stock, although their online shop is new so it may be teething problems and done it automatically, definitely worth contacting them and advising them.

The 50mm is excellent, super sharp and renders well. TBH if I was buying again I might very well have bought the Z6 over the Z7, it's not that often you need all those MP's.

Should be OK, if shooting macro (as opposed to portraits as some do) you'll be using manual focus anyway (y)

Sorry, I just assumed it was a predictive text thing.

I agree that it's not great that they took the money without having stock, although their online shop is new so it may be teething problems and done it automatically, definitely worth contacting them and advising them.

The 50mm is excellent, super sharp and renders well. TBH if I was buying again I might very well have bought the Z6 over the Z7, it's not that often you need all those MP's.
no worries been this way all my life hehe has not held me back just like the d850 for cropping but thought I would try the cheaper and faster z6 first and see how things turn out with the second generation

yes mean stock :) I'm dyslexic and find it hard to post but find this forum very good I'm just slow in answering usually get someone to type for me have to rely on predictive text can get really funny with some of my replies :giggle: how do you find the 50 I'm liking the z6 but still thinking should have got the z7
I’ve “only” got the Z6 and I’m delighted with it. In hindsight, would I have got the Z7? No. It has its place, but not for me. Sooner spend the difference on lenses or film cameras. :eek:

Its on my list so will be interested and yes i will need AF on it :) , tried the Sigma 100-400 and in the confines of the shop it looked to work ok.

Could it need a firmware update

Quite probably - its my oldest and least used lens. Also just noticed that VR doesn't work on the lens and IBIS is greyed out on the i menu.

Can I just take it into a Sigma dealer to get it updated?

A few with the Z50 from this morning (16-50). It's replaced my Fuji gear as my lightweight walkaround.
Just clicked in auto develop in lightroom.

Fruit.JPGLeaf.JPGTree trunks.JPG

As ever these are sharp on my screen but a but fuzzy on here. Can't understand why a photography forum does this to all my images.

How many of you got the ftz adaptor and which Lens your using with it and how does it perform

How many of you got the ftz adaptor and which Lens your using with it and how does it perform

I briefly had sigma 35 art and 85 non art. Both worked pretty well.

50mm f1.8g (not now obviously), 85mm f1.8G, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII and 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G. Works well with them all.

A few with the Z50 from this morning (16-50). It's replaced my Fuji gear as my lightweight walkaround.
Just clicked in auto develop in lightroom.

View attachment 259948View attachment 259949View attachment 259950

As ever these are sharp on my screen but a but fuzzy on here. Can't understand why a photography forum does this to all my images.

This forum really isn't the best at displaying images, this is why I use Flickr to share, there's still a little degradation but Flickr shares tend to look much, much better than direct upload to the forum

50mm f1.8g (not now obviously), 85mm f1.8G, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII and 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G. Works well with them all.
When did you get rid of your sigma macro pretty sure you had one at one point?

Nikon 70-200 VR2, Nikon 200-500mm, Sigma 100-400mm, Sigma 24-35mm...works well with them all, but tracking wise the Nikons do better

Nikon 20mm f1.8 - works great. Nikon 70-300P - works well but never use it. Also had Tamron 17-35 - worked well after lens firmware upgrade but felt unbalanced. Great IQ though.

Nikon 70-200 VR2, Nikon 200-500mm, Sigma 100-400mm, Sigma 24-35mm...works well with them all, but tracking wise the Nikons do better

Interested in how well the Sigma 100-400 works, for BIF i dont use any form of tracking i just keep the focus point on the target.

Watching this thread for a while, thinking about a Z7:)

Anyone using the FTZ with a fast tele prime (300mm f/2.8, 400mm f/2.8, 500mm f/4 etc)?

Thanks,

GC

When did you get rid of your sigma macro pretty sure you had one at one point?
I’ve had two, the non OS one and the OS one. Got rid of the latest one at the same time as the D850.

Didnt realise guess you wasn’t doing much macros ?

Only really did bugs, and I just find it more frustrating than rewarding.

What you doing next? Selling 85mm and getting the S version?

What you doing next? Selling 85mm and getting the S version?
Probably. Won’t be for a while though as looking at getting another dog (y)

Loving my Z6 but ive yet to try out any native lenses.

I'm thinking about selling my Sigma 50 1.4 ART for the 50 1.8 s but i'm not sure if its worth it?

Have used:

35mm 1.8 g
50mm 1.8 g
85mm 1.8 g
Nikon 70-300 af-p (dx)
Sigma 150-600
Sigma 12-24 DG II

Honestly, I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference to how I’d expect those lenses to perform non-adapted.

I’m not good enough to be at a point where a 0.0001 second difference in focussing time makes a difference. If I was pushing the kit to its limit maybe I’d be able to notice something, but as it stands, I’m delighted!

Loving my Z6 but ive yet to try out any native lenses.

I'm thinking about selling my Sigma 50 1.4 ART for the 50 1.8 s but i'm not sure if its worth it?

If you’re comfortable with the handling using ftz it may not be.
Read/watch all the reviews on the 50 S before you decide.
I went native because of the handling with adapter.

There's a thread on Luminous Landscape by someone who has a 58mm f0.95 :D

I wouldn't normally comment on pictures too negatively but as that guy is extremely unlikely to read my views or care I will :D I find this technically good still life stuff mind numbingly boring. I can see why someone would use top end gear to produce pictures like that plant pot shot, and actually the very limited depth flower shots too, as a technical challenge but the plant pot shot is just not a picture I'd want to look at for a single second.

I can see the appeal of using top end gear and the challenge of getting the final result but if that's the final result I just wonder... why bother. But that's just me and good luck to him and anyone else producing technically good pictures of what I see as utterly boring subjects.

Anyway. Enjoy the thread. :D

I'd rather look at Rookies pictures above. The first one especially is IMO much more interesting than any shot in that LL thread.

Last edited:
There's a thread on Luminous Landscape by someone who has a 58mm f0.95 :D

I wouldn't normally comment on pictures too negatively but as that guy is extremely unlikely to read my views or care I will :D I find this technically good still life stuff mind numbingly boring. I can see why someone would use top end gear to produce pictures like that plant pot shot, and actually the very limited depth flower shots too, as a technical challenge but the plant pot shot is just not a picture I'd want to look at for a single second.

I can see the appeal of using top end gear and the challenge of getting the final result but if that's the final result I just wonder... why bother. But that's just me and good luck to him and anyone else producing technically good pictures of what I see as utterly boring subjects.

Anyway. Enjoy the thread. :D

I'd rather look at Rookies pictures above. The first one especially is IMO much more interesting than any shot in that LL thread.

Shame we can’t see this thread to see the image

Back