Nikon Z* mirrorless

I have, I traded my f4 + 105/1.4 and got it. I don't find it as heavy as everyone made out, but it is obviously heavier. Lovely lens though. Not yet shot with it too much though.

Think Toby going fall out with you before me lol

I have, I traded my f4 + 105/1.4 and got it. I don't find it as heavy as everyone made out, but it is obviously heavier. Lovely lens though. Not yet shot with it too much though.
I think it’s somewhere around 100g lighter than the non VR G version, and I found that OK. I think balance plays as much a part as weight sometimes.

It's worth it :)

It’s on my list a long side the 50mm f1.8 and 85mm 1.8 lenses.
Going to wait for the Nikon Z9 / Gen2 bodies before deciding if it’s worth switching, also considering the Fuji system again but ideally like to stick with FF. :)

Going to wait for the Nikon Z9 / Gen2 bodies before deciding if it’s worth switching, also considering the Fuji system again but ideally like to stick with FF. :)

If you have the 24-70/4s then I'd say get the primes first. Even thought I have the f2.8, I still probably default to the primes first. And I was never really a prime shooter before getting into the Z line.

If you have the 24-70/4s then I'd say get the primes first. Even thought I have the f2.8, I still probably default to the primes first. And I was never really a prime shooter before getting into the Z line.

Have you a Flickr page where you share images pal pls?

Occasionally, just occasionally, I have wished for a wider maximum aperture on the 24-70 f4. If I hadn't been lazy I could have easily achieved that with a prime. I've never regretted the IQ of the "kit" lens.

Occasionally, just occasionally, I have wished for a wider maximum aperture on the 24-70 f4. If I hadn't been lazy I could have easily achieved that with a prime. I've never regretted the IQ of the "kit" lens.

What lens you currently got? You the z6?

Yes, Z6 with 24-70 f4, 14-30, 70-300P, 20mm f1.8 Nikkor G, 50mm Z. Only used the 70-300 a couple of times - I only keep it “just in case”.

Just had a look at your Flickr some lovely images there mate

I've never been entirely convinced by a standard f2.8 zoom. Rather supplement the f4 with a prime or two for when you really need a shallow DoF. The IBIS means you can do static subjects at a pretty slow shutter speed with the zoom.

I've never been entirely convinced by a standard f2.8 zoom. Rather supplement the f4 with a prime or two for when you really need a shallow DoF. The IBIS means you can do static subjects at a pretty slow shutter speed with the zoom.

I prefer the use of the 24-70 f2.8 to stop me having to continuously switch primes. It is a top notch lens throughout the 24-70 range. I also hate changing lenses at the best of times. I do have the 35 F1.8 s and the 70-300 but rarely use them. I also have the 24-70 F4 but have it up for sale....

Much the same here, I've bought a 2.8 mid zoom for every camera I've owned, and always ended up trading it back for primes. I find the typical 24-70 2.8 a bit boring. It's such an in betweener lens, not especially great for portraits, for landscape you're stopping down anyway, it's not long enough for wildlife, and doesn't do macro very well either. The only advantage over an F4 version is for indoor shooting where you're as likely to use off cam flash. They're heavier, larger and a lot pricier for one extra stop when you think about it. Having the F4 for casual use and a cheap, light weight bright prime for when you want teh bokeh to me is the better option all round.

Does the 24-70 2.8 have a proper case not these soft clothes

That’s stupid for a premium lens

Then again it can be good as to take less room up in bag. As really I didn’t use the the padded Nikon case or sigma as wouldn’t fit in bag.

As said, just comes with a lens cloth made into a pouch. The old school lens pouches were so much better, but then again, I never used them anyway so it's no great loss.

As said, just comes with a lens cloth made into a pouch. The old school lens pouches were so much better, but then again, I never used them anyway so it's no great loss.
I‘ve still got a load of unopened Fuji ones.

time for local autumn colours. Although there has been little in the way of sun recently, meaning I haven't yet got anything I really like, I'll always go out at least once and I wanted to see how the Z6 compared to last year's Fuji. These are all with the 105mm f2.8 D micro which is MF with the Z6. They required tying up the dog who would otherwise be nowhere to be seen after I'd finished -- Ruby is emphatically not a fan of photography as it deflects attention away from where it should be focussed, namely her...

DSC_2279.jpg

DSC_2287.jpg

DSC_2290.jpg

So over the new few weeks think I'm going to pull the trigger and switch from my D500 to a Z6 with the 24-70 f4 kit and adapter. On my D500 I tend to do more wide angle shots so I'll be looking for a wide angle pretty quickly too.

Has anyone been using one of the older FXs like a 14-24 f2.8 or slightly cheaper 16-35 f4 with their Z at all? The 14-30mm looks good but is more expensive than both those lenses.

So over the new few weeks think I'm going to pull the trigger and switch from my D500 to a Z6 with the 24-70 f4 kit and adapter. On my D500 I tend to do more wide angle shots so I'll be looking for a wide angle pretty quickly too.

Has anyone been using one of the older FXs like a 14-24 f2.8 or slightly cheaper 16-35 f4 with their Z at all? The 14-30mm looks good but is more expensive than both those lenses.

You can pick up the 14-30 for about £700 on eBay from e-infin when there’s a 10% offer on. Which is quite frequent at the moment. You're looking at £550-800 for either of the f-mount lenses.

I use the 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G on my Z7 and it's a great lens.

Really impressed with Panamoz, reduced the price by £15 and paid back to PayPal within 15 minutes of ordering. Ordered the Z6 Tuesday lunchtime and delivered on Friday by 10am. Now I need to learn the camera!!

Welcome to the club you will love it

You can pick up the 14-30 for about £700 on eBay from e-infin when there’s a 10% offer on. Which is quite frequent at the moment. You're looking at £550-800 for either of the f-mount lenses.
Ah that's interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Will have a look and get one from there then :). The only other second hand ones i'd seen were on MPB and around £1000.

Ah that's interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Will have a look and get one from there then :). The only other second hand ones i'd seen were on MPB and around £1000.
The alternative is the Tamron 17-35 (as long as it's got the latest firmware). A good quality lens but for me spoiled by being a bit unwieldy on the FTZ.

Back