Nikon Z* mirrorless

Question Guys,

I want to keep my Sony A7iii but I am considering trading my Fuji X-H1, 16 f1.4 & 90 f2 for the Z6, 24-70 f4 and adapter. Would you consider this a good change up or not? I’ve been interested in the Z6 for a little while now due to ergonomics etc.

Last edited:
I let my X-H1 go in favour of the Z6 kit. Absolutely no regrets. It’s a fab camera.
Just acquired a Sony A7iii. I bought it for the eye af.
First time out with it today. Too early to decide whether it’ll be a replacement for my Nikon. They are both very capable.
Obviously I’m very used to the Nikon ergonomics.

I let my X-H1 go in favour of the Z6 kit. Absolutely no regrets. It’s a fab camera.
Just acquired a Sony A7iii. I bought it for the eye af.
First time out with it today. Too early to decide whether it’ll be a replacement for my Nikon. They are both very capable.
Obviously I’m very used to the Nikon ergonomics.

But you finding the Nikon Ergonomics much better and it good to go back to after using the sony.. But on the Sony I bet your finding the AF nice? Do you find it much better apart from the Eye af of course.. How you finding the colour science of it it?

Thanks for the response Trevor.... if I make the switch what F lens would you recommend for a little length?

70-200 F4 is also a v good lens.
70-300 AF-P Fx also.
105mm F1.4 (heavy and expensive) also
Personally I'm happy with the 70-300.

I must admit I quite fancy one with the kit lens to carry around in my work bag/coat pocket. Similar in size to the Fuji 100F which I miss a lot.

But..... :)

I am also interested in the Canon EOS R now that it has had its latest firmware update. Just never played with a Canon before... and curious.

One thing for sure though.... my Z6 is going nowhere...

So I’m afraid I have to report that low light AF of the Z7 isn’t as good as I’d hoped. Yesterday I went to see the puppy I’m picking up next week and the guy’s house was pretty dark, the Z7 was slow to acquire focus and also missed focus a lot :( Was using single point C-AF.

So I’m afraid I have to report that low light AF of the Z7 isn’t as good as I’d hoped. Yesterday I went to see the puppy I’m picking up next week and the guy’s house was pretty dark, the Z7 was slow to acquire focus and also missed focus a lot :( Was using single point C-AF.

Oh dear do I sense a change of camera on the way lol

did you try AF-S? There are some issues with AF-C which can be frustrating at times. It’s not just low light, in AF-C it can be frustrating in better lighting.

Also which lens was you using not seen any issues with mine AF in low light with 50mm 1.8

Oh dear do I sense a change of camera on the way lol
No, I’m invested in Nikon and it’s rare I’ll shoot in low light. I’m just hoping they get all the ‘niggles’ sorted with the gen 2’s
did you try AF-S? There are some issues with AF-C which can be frustrating at times. It’s not just low light, in AF-C it can be frustrating in better lighting.
No, with a puppy constantly on the move AF-S wouldn’t have ‘worked’ imo.
Also which lens was you using not seen any issues with mine AF in low light with 50mm 1.8
Was using the 50mm. The Z7 isn’t as good as the Z6 in low light, but it’s rated to -3ev I believe so thought it’d be better.

No, I’m invested in Nikon and it’s rare I’ll shoot in low light. I’m just hoping they get all the ‘niggles’ sorted with the gen 2’s
No, with a puppy constantly on the move AF-S wouldn’t have ‘worked’ imo.
Was using the 50mm. The Z7 isn’t as good as the Z6 in low light, but it’s rated to -3ev I believe so thought it’d be better.

I’m hoping Nikon will sort it in a future update as we are due one for RAW video. There are some quirks in AF-C and it’s really difficult to narrow it down as to why. Im not 100% convinced it’s a low light issue as Ive seen both the Z6 and Z7 nail focus in low light.

When is this new Firmware coming as a few people have said there a few things coming but I just can't find anything not the net of any rumours

When is this new Firmware coming as a few people have said there a few things coming but I just can't find anything not the net of any rumours

Nobody knows, RAW video output was said to be this month, but only Nikon know really.

Used eye AF for the first time over the weekend, and was actually pleasantly surprised! Using the 35mm f/1.8 G in very low lighting - trying to get some shots of a 1 year old and a 3 year old was always going to be a challenge.

Focussed on the wrong eye a few times, think that’s a user error issue though rather than the camera!

Question Guys,

I want to keep my Sony A7iii but I am considering trading my Fuji X-H1, 16 f1.4 & 90 f2 for the Z6, 24-70 f4 and adapter. Would you consider this a good change up or not? I’ve been interested in the Z6 for a little while now due to ergonomics etc.
I went X-H1 to Z6. Not regretted it apart from the price of the lenses. Ergonomically better, IQ better. But had the X-T3 possessed IBIS it might have been different. Can't comment on longer lenses - I have the 70-300 P but never use it.

I've been a bit disappointed with the sharpness I'm getting when really pushing my D600 and Tamron G2 70-200 to the limits (2.8 with a high ISO to try and freeze some indoor sports). Generally a bit soft which i'm putting down to fine tuning.

Is it true that I could pair this lens with the FTZ on the Z6 and not need any fine tuning?

I've been a bit disappointed with the sharpness I'm getting when really pushing my D600 and Tamron G2 70-200 to the limits (2.8 with a high ISO to try and freeze some indoor sports). Generally a bit soft which i'm putting down to fine tuning.

Is it true that I could pair this lens with the FTZ on the Z6 and not need any fine tuning?

All ime going to say is one school of thought is using AF-C not AF-S can need AF tuning due to it using phase-detect points.

Went for a little walk with the Mrs today as you all prob know she been recovering.... I am just posting away what I took some maybe crap some maybe good and some maybe not what you like but hey hoo off i go..

DSC_0324.jpg
by Andrew Rookes, on Flickr

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg

DSC_0343.jpg

Nikon 50-250 Lens I am really thinking of trying on on the Z6 ok i know it be in crop mode but be interested to see how it goes.

Or would i be better getting 70-300 and stick it on the FTZ

Last edited:
Just received the MB-N10 battery grip for my Z6/7. Notwithstanding the fopaux that is the missing shutter controls (but I knew that when I purchased it), it really makes the cameras quite a beast and definitely better to hand hold with the bigger lenses.I had the 70-300 AF-P on it at lunchtime with the FTZ adapter and the whole combo feels like a mini DSLR. Having the USB charging port to change both batteries simultaneously is also nice.

The only thing I don't really like about it is the writing on the front of the grip and the fact that only the vertical part has the faux leather covering on it, with the rest of the grip from bare plastic. This can make it quite cold and slippery, so I might be modding mine to add a bit of covering to the flat front surface.

Just received the MB-N10 battery grip for my Z6/7. Notwithstanding the fopaux that is the missing shutter controls (but I knew that when I purchased it), it really makes the cameras quite a beast and definitely better to hand hold with the bigger lenses.I had the 70-300 AF-P on it at lunchtime with the FTZ adapter and the whole combo feels like a mini DSLR. Having the USB charging port to change both batteries simultaneously is also nice.

The only thing I don't really like about it is the writing on the front of the grip and the fact that only the vertical part has the faux leather covering on it, with the rest of the grip from bare plastic. This can make it quite cold and slippery, so I might be modding mine to add a bit of covering to the flat front surface.

Does the grip have an inbuilt battery cell or do you have to put the z6 batteries in it, and what is the cost of these?

Thanks

Well if you go by what Nikon say no lens/camera should need fine tuning and if you’re getting errors it should be returned to Nikon. The fine tune is not there to correct focus issues (Nikon’s words not mine ;)). That being said I used it all the time in my DSLRs :LOL: I’ve not used it once on mirrorless.
All ime going to say is one school of thought is using AF-C not AF-S can need AF tuning due to it using phase-detect points.
Both AF-C and AF-S use phase detect on DSLR, contrast detect is only used in live view AFAIK. Most modern high end mirrorless use hybrid AF in all situations, except pinpoint on Nikon Z which uses contrast detect only (y).

Back