Nikon Z* mirrorless

Lovely those are. How you liking the new toy
I've not had long with it tbh, that was a quick half hour in my lunch hour. Really liking the ergonomics and the 50 1.8 Z has been delivered today so hopefully give it a proper run at the weekend.

Z 50 for BIF, up to now i still feel you could get a better camera for doing BIF, not saying it cant do it but Nikon have made it annoying with stupid little things.

A few small niggles, cant turn the LCD off without cheating with the EVF eye sensor,can't stop it going into sleep mode which it takes too long to wake from, when i use auto ISO if it goes high say 9000 when i press the shutter button a stupid black box appears in the middle of the EVF warning me ime in a low light situation, i know that and its the subject i want to see not a childish warning.
If someone knows a way around these things please let me know.

If it was normal use not birding none of the above would be a problem and it is a great camera.

Not in the least sorry i got the camera, my thoughts where at the time if it did BIF that would be a bonus, as I say it will do it but not as easily as some others.

How much better is this Nikkor 24-70 2.8 s over the F4 as I’ve found this F4 bloody brill

How much better is this Nikkor 24-70 2.8 s over the F4 as I’ve found this F4 bloody brill

Get the 35s and 85s first IMO.

The 24-70/2.8 might be a tad sharper than the F4 but you're really just paying for the extra stop. I don't regret swapping to the 2.8, but I wouldn't have done it had I not already got the primes. I'm still using the primes more.

Get the 35s and 85s first IMO.

The 24-70/2.8 might be a tad sharper than the F4 but you're really just paying for the extra stop. I don't regret swapping to the 2.8, but I wouldn't have done it had I not already got the primes. I'm still using the primes more.

I have the 35s and the 24-70 f2.8. I am the opposite in that I prefer to have the zoom on my z6 all the time rather than a selection of primes. East to their own. The quality of the f2.8 zoom is excellent.

I have the 35s and the 24-70 f2.8. I am the opposite in that I prefer to have the zoom on my z6 all the time rather than a selection of primes. East to their own. The quality of the f2.8 zoom is excellent.

Have you had the f4 to been able see the difference. Am the same I like zoom for flexibility

Only normally have 1 prime in case need for low light

Yeah I have gone the opposite way. The 24-70/2.8 I bought with my D3 was near enough welded to every body I've had since, until the Z6 and it's turned me into a prime shooter lol

Have you had the f4 to been able see the difference. Am the same I like zoom for flexibility

Only normally have 1 prime in case need for low light

Yes I still have the f4 and have it up for sale. I bought the f2.8 for shooting my daughters wedding some months ago on my z6 and it has basically stayed on it ever since. I use the 35 occasionally in low light but the f2.8 goes straight back on afterwards.

There is nothing wrong with the f4 but I had the money, wanted the f2.8 for the wedding and thought sod it, why not... :)

Removed

Last edited:
Just something I need to show as it always happens to me even on the Sony Camera why do i get that funny effect background

DSC_0400.jpg
by Andrew Rookes, on Flickr
What are you referring to, I’m only on the phone so can’t see anything obvious?

The background have a circular blocks effect
Ahh can’t see that in the phone, that’s usually jpeg artefacts and one of my gripes of digital. Not just photography, you see it a lot on TV and movies too. Really disappoints me when watching telly, all that tech and you have to put up with that. Bring back film and analogue I say ;) :LOL:

Hmmm. Nikon Z6 or D500?

Hmmm. Nikon Z6 or D500?

I’ve had both. I currently got the z6 and it a lovely camera produce lovely images. AF-C need improving hopefully in FW soon. But as you can see from my images it does lovely sharp images. Also eye af works just fine for me and I like it more than Sony as you can select which eye to focus

I’ve had both. I currently got the z6 and it a lovely camera produce lovely images. AF-C need improving hopefully in FW soon. But as you can see from my images it does lovely sharp images. Also eye af works just fine for me and I like it more than Sony as you can select which eye to focus

You can select each eye on Sony too. :LOL:

Anyone purchase any tutorial books for their z camera.

New Firmware v2.10 - Mainly bug fixes

• Added supported for optical VR with NIKKOR Z DX 16–50mm f/3.5–6.3 VR and NIKKOR Z DX 50–250mm f/4.5–6.3 VR Z-mount lenses. Note that attaching these lenses disables the Mechanical shutter option for Custom Setting d5 (Shutter type) in Group d (Shooting/display) of the CUSTOM SETTING MENU, leaving a choice of Auto and Electronic front-curtain shutter options only.

• ISO sensitivity can now be adjusted using the lens control ring, and ISO sensitivity has been added to the options available for Custom Setting f2 (Custom control assignment) > Lens control ring in Group f (Controls) of the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.

• As of November 14, 2019, the aperture display in the lens info panel for NIKKOR Z 24–70mm f/2.8 S and NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct lenses shows both the current aperture and adjacent aperture values in modes A and M.

• When On was selected for Auto ISO sensitivity control and an option that does not include “slow sync” was selected for Flash mode, shutter speed was formerly restricted to values between those chosen for Custom Settings e1 (Flash sync speed) and e2 (Flash shutter speed), but this has now been changed to match the behavior of digital SLR cameras, with the result that the minimum shutter speed now corresponds to the value selected for Auto ISO sensitivity control > Minimum shutter speed.

• Fixed an issue that in extremely rare cases resulted in the camera failing to correctly record movies with 1920x1080; 120pselected for Frame size/frame rate.

• Fixed an issue that occasionally resulted in “noise” in the form of white lines at the bottom of the display when the electronic viewfinder was on.

• Fixed an issue that in rare cases resulted in “noise” in the form of fine horizontal lines appearing throughout the frame in movies and the live view display.

• Fixed errors in the UTC time zones for the following three cities in the Time zone and date > Time zone display in the SETUP MENU:
Caracas: was -4:30, is now -4:00
Casablanca: was 00:00, is now +1:00
Ankara: was +2:00, is now +3:00

• Fixed an issue that resulted in an incorrect date of creation being displayed in the Windows 10 “properties” dialogs for movies and time-lapse movies created with the camera, as well as copies created with camera movie editing controls.

New Firmware v2.10 - Mainly bug fixes

• Added supported for optical VR with NIKKOR Z DX 16–50mm f/3.5–6.3 VR and NIKKOR Z DX 50–250mm f/4.5–6.3 VR Z-mount lenses. Note that attaching these lenses disables the Mechanical shutter option for Custom Setting d5 (Shutter type) in Group d (Shooting/display) of the CUSTOM SETTING MENU, leaving a choice of Auto and Electronic front-curtain shutter options only.

• ISO sensitivity can now be adjusted using the lens control ring, and ISO sensitivity has been added to the options available for Custom Setting f2 (Custom control assignment) > Lens control ring in Group f (Controls) of the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.

• As of November 14, 2019, the aperture display in the lens info panel for NIKKOR Z 24–70mm f/2.8 S and NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct lenses shows both the current aperture and adjacent aperture values in modes A and M.

• When On was selected for Auto ISO sensitivity control and an option that does not include “slow sync” was selected for Flash mode, shutter speed was formerly restricted to values between those chosen for Custom Settings e1 (Flash sync speed) and e2 (Flash shutter speed), but this has now been changed to match the behavior of digital SLR cameras, with the result that the minimum shutter speed now corresponds to the value selected for Auto ISO sensitivity control > Minimum shutter speed.

• Fixed an issue that in extremely rare cases resulted in the camera failing to correctly record movies with 1920x1080; 120pselected for Frame size/frame rate.

• Fixed an issue that occasionally resulted in “noise” in the form of white lines at the bottom of the display when the electronic viewfinder was on.

• Fixed an issue that in rare cases resulted in “noise” in the form of fine horizontal lines appearing throughout the frame in movies and the live view display.

• Fixed errors in the UTC time zones for the following three cities in the Time zone and date > Time zone display in the SETUP MENU:
Caracas: was -4:30, is now -4:00
Casablanca: was 00:00, is now +1:00
Ankara: was +2:00, is now +3:00

• Fixed an issue that resulted in an incorrect date of creation being displayed in the Windows 10 “properties” dialogs for movies and time-lapse movies created with the camera, as well as copies created with camera movie editing controls.
That’s disappointing - what about CFExpress cards ?

What I find funny is people complain Nikon don't do FW updates, but then when they do the updates aren't good enough. Literally I'm tempted to leave every Nikon Z facebook group I'm in. Everyone saying the camera is perfect and it's the photographer at fault if they say the AF fails them, but on the other hand moaning about FW updates.

Back