Nikon Z* mirrorless

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hPShsC]
Poinsettia by Paul, on Flickr[/URL]

I've a Z6 on loan from a local camera shop. Quite the camera. I was all prepared to be amazed with this shot at 1/8th sec. and the IBIS but then I tried it again with the same parameters with my D750 and 24-120/4. That turned out as well with the VR on the lens.

Don't get me wrong in thinking that they're as good as one another. Z6 has definite advantages - amazingly fast live view focus (I hardly ever try to use that on the 750; it's just too slow), touch screen, face/eye autofocus, weight, size. Current pricing in Canuck bucks is around $3400 for a body and 24-70/4 lens. At this point that's still a little (quite a bit) too much.

Poinsettia by Paul, on Flickr

I've a Z6 on loan from a local camera shop. Quite the camera. I was all prepared to be amazed with this shot at 1/8th sec. and the IBIS but then I tried it again with the same parameters with my D750 and 24-120/4. That turned out as well with the VR on the lens.

Don't get me wrong in thinking that they're as good as one another. Z6 has definite advantages - amazingly fast live view focus (I hardly ever try to use that on the 750; it's just too slow), touch screen, face/eye autofocus, weight, size. Current pricing in Canuck bucks is around $3400 for a body and 24-70/4 lens. At this point that's still a little (quite a bit) too much.

try same with a non OIS lens though, that's where the difference will show.

Oh, for sure! I wanted to see, though, if the VR could compete with the IBIS and for my purposes in this shot it did. In other situations I'm sure the IBIS would be much better than the VR.

I think one of the main benefits is that you could use lenses without VR and still have the benefit. This would make lenses smaller and lighter than they would be, and theoretically cheaper.

Poinsettia by Paul, on Flickr

IBIS is a great feature but as you’ve found out it’s not really any better than VR, they’re just different tech to give the same result. That being said Olympus IBIS is staggering, I can handhold a 24mm effective shot for 2s (on a good day) and get sharp results :eek:

IBIS is a great feature but as you’ve found out it’s not really any better than VR, they’re just different tech to give the same result. That being said Olympus IBIS is staggering, I can handhold a 24mm effective shot for 2s (on a good day) and get sharp results :eek:

Think smaller sensor helps in a way?

Think smaller sensor helps in a way?

Definitely, that's why m43 will always have the best ibis. Though it's also why Panasonic went large on the S1, the IBIS on that is supposed to match m43 in terms of performance. They had to go large in the body to achieve that.

Manual focus on the Z6 - wow, what a joy to use. I tried it with my 85/1.4D lens. Focus peaking - wow!

That easy on most Mirrorless cameras these days as they all have well i think most do have Focus peaking

Keeping the thread alive.

Our 1 year old Daisy, knowing full well she isn't supposed to be on the couch...

Nikon Z7, Nikkor Z 50mm F1.8 S, 1/160 F2 ISO 2800

Keeping the thread alive.

Our 1 year old Daisy, knowing full well she isn't supposed to be on the couch...

Nikon Z7, Nikkor Z 50mm F1.8 S, 1/160 F2 ISO 2800

Butter wouldn't melt...….

She's gorgeous Andrew.

Cheers,

Simon.

Butter wouldn't melt...….

She's gorgeous Andrew.

Cheers,

Simon.

Ah bless. Our cocker is the same. We have a brand new suite but it is covered with throws etc. as Ted seems to sit on it more than we do :)

Lovely photo

Haha, thanks guys. Yes butter wouldn't melt indeed. We can sort of excuse her, as she still only young, but her older brother, Charlie should know better as he's 4 - bloody Cocker's they wrap you round their paws and know how to work it :D - Here was Charlie at the same time but on the other couch !

Nikon Z7, Nikkor Z 50mm F1.8 S, 1/60 F2 ISO 400

Last edited:
BTW, meant to say, these were taken in the evening with just 2 room lamps on, no flash. Instead (as I happened to be shooting video moments before), I used my new el-cheapo video light that I purchased from Amazon a few weeks ago. Bloody amazing little light - comes with a rechargeable battery, 2 diffusers (one clear and one amber to mix into tungsten lighting), and an infinitely variable power setting and it's really bright. All this for £12.00.. yes £12.00 for the money you can't go wrong:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06Y5T9ND8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Has @rookies left the building..... :D lol

elvis_has_left_the_building_by_bunnywinter-d84dqvr.jpg

Lol quality...... that image looks to have been taken on a NIkon Z6.... its got that magical Nikon colour science and the subject isn't move too fast, so no big effort for the Z6's AF system ;) lol
<< runs for cover.

Can see that it coped well with that moving subject, hes got spiderwebs under his foot. :ROFLMAO: :exit:

Tried low light AF-C again today, much better using single point wide, in fact very useable and accurate too.

Tried low light AF-C again today, much better using single point wide, in fact very useable and accurate too.

Not for me it wasn’t it was hunting quite a bit goes right out of focus then back in focus. None of this on the A9

It a blessing to be back on the Sony AF system

Also on the Sony forget single put it in wide tada it track what ever it find so far very spot on

Not for me it wasn’t it was hunting quite a bit goes right out of focus then back in focus. None of this on the A9

It a blessing to be back on the Sony AF system
Also on the Sony forget single put it in wide tada it track what ever it find so far very spot on
Cool, glad you're happy with it. I'm happy with the Z7, I can get the shots I want now I've found the best setting for low light. I'm sure I'll always 'fancy' the A9/A9-II but I doubt I'll ever have one. Really like the Nikon, and besides I'm not willing to put out the outlay on another system change. Maybe I can just have a go with yours ;)

Don’t get me wrong the Nikon is a lovely camera and there Z lens. But I think my prob was I been spoilt with Sony AF in the past so I could t let it go. So I though if I go back might as have a a9

Change you signature now then @rookies ..

Don’t get me wrong the Nikon is a lovely camera and there Z lens. But I think my prob was I been spoilt with Sony AF in the past so I could t let it go. So I though if I go back might as have a a9
No doubting the AF difference.

What a lovely puppy think that be out next type of dog.

Only came to my attention today. I notice all images from the z6 when imported to Lr they all had noise reductions and details added to every image without me doing it. Odd

Back