Nikon Z* mirrorless

Wish id grabbed one then, didn’t think they’d put it up to £329. Thought it’d stay at £315. Missed it by a few days. Can get it for £309 currently. Not worth worrying about the extra £15 now. Except I’ve got the silly idea of trying out Sony, don’t know why I feel like I’m missing out. Can’t get my head around the focus modes in comparison to the Nikon modes. Just GAS and think I need to try one for a little.
Grays had it at £315 but then there was a voucher code on youtube which gave me £20 off.

I've got potential GAS at the moment too ;) With the new arrival of our puppy all of a sudden I have something demanding of top notch AF. The Z7 can't keep up indoors, but then I"m not sure any camera could ;)

Grays had it at £315 but then there was a voucher code on youtube which gave me £20 off.

I've got potential GAS at the moment too ;) With the new arrival of our puppy all of a sudden I have something demanding of top notch AF. The Z7 can't keep up indoors, but then I"m not sure any camera could ;)

A9 will for sure mate. My z6 was struggling indoor low light with our dogs so that why I left

A Sony A9 would keep up ;) Animal Eye-AF innit :p

Just proves my point that there is no camera which is capable of suiting every situation for every person. Maybe we should buy a camera for each of our intended uses. That would have the added benefit of providing sales for all manufacturers thereby quashing rumours of insolvency. :D

I can't read through this whole thread (currently 96pp) ... which seems to have started with rumours, graduated into shopping choices, and stalled on the posting of snapshots (as if that proves anything).

Who's got an FTZ? How's it going with manual focus?

I can't read through this whole thread (currently 96pp) ... which seems to have started with rumours, graduated into shopping choices, and stalled on the posting of snapshots (as if that proves anything).

I had a Z6 on loan for a few days and I tried manual focus with my 85/1.4D lens with focus peaking turned on in camera. Oh my, manual focus was a snap!

Seen these samples of the 85, always seen people mention pop in images, but never really seen it however a lot of these do to my eyes.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124937557@N07/albums/72157710999936417

I’m kinda thinking I might want to stay with the Z6. Still looking at options, but the Z primes and the 85 S look nice, hoping for pricing to drop a little more. I am/was considering the A7iii for the smaller size of the body and the smaller sized 1.8 primes, ideally A7iv, for the new body but it doesn’t exist. I just got one of the new 3L Peak Design Everyday Slings, thinking it’s a small enough bag I can take the camera out wherever, I was kind of thinking smaller body/lenses as well for this which is why Sony came up but still FF. Z6 is a bit tight in there so was enforcing my thoughts.

AF isnt much of an issue for me, my intended use for the Z6 was landscape kit when I got it. It’s nice to have the ability of the AF but wouldn’t be much use to me anyway. Maybe Sony A7 hits 85-90% and A9 98-100%. I don’t know what the Z can achieve 65-90% depending on circumstances maybe not even as low as 65%. I’m not getting paid for it, what’s it matter if you miss a few shots. Understandably some of the Sony guys shoot weddings etc, every shot counts and it must make things a lot easier with the Eye AF and stuff.

Last edited:

At the end of the day it is the “Talk Equipment” section, there is a dedicated photo section so any photos in here are a bonus (y)
Seen these samples of the 85, always seen people mention pop in images, but never really seen it however a lot of these do to my eyes.

I’m kinda thinking I might want to stay with the Z6. Still looking at options, but the Z primes and the 85 S look nice, hoping for pricing to drop a little more. I am/was considering the A7iii for the smaller size of the body and the smaller sized 1.8 primes, ideally A7iv, for the new body but it doesn’t exist. I just got one of the new 3L Peak Design Everyday Slings, thinking it’s a small enough bag I can take the camera out wherever, I was kind of thinking smaller body/lenses as well for this which is why Sony came up but still FF. Z6 is a bit tight in there so was enforcing my thoughts.

AF isnt much of an issue for me, my intended use for the Z6 was landscape kit when I got it. It’s nice to have the ability of the AF but wouldn’t be much use to me anyway. Maybe Sony A7 hits 85-90% and A9 98-100%. I don’t know what the Z can achieve 65-90% depending on circumstances maybe not even as low as 65%. I’m not getting paid for it, what’s it matter if you miss a few shots. Understandably some of the Sony guys shoot weddings etc, every shot counts and it must make things a lot easier with the Eye AF and stuff.
If it’s mainly landscapes and AF is not of a concern then I personally wouldn’t switch, no point. Imo the Z’s are nicer bodies to hold and have great EVF’s and LCD’s as well as a great sensor. The Z7 filed are big to work with in Lightroom and Photoshop and that’s lossless compressed. The A7RIV files would be HUGE as Sony doesn’t have lossless compressed so you’d probably end up using compressed as uncompressed would be unworkable.

So you have basically talked yourself out of the A7RIV there .... for a few weeks.

We all know how it works, once it's in your head you have to scratch that itch at some point :LOL:

No, not the RIV, just the IV, but not released yet. 61mp is way too much. If the IV was out then I’d have less hesitation, with the III there are more compromises.

If it’s mainly landscapes and AF is not of a concern then I personally wouldn’t switch, no point. Imo the Z’s are nicer bodies to hold and have great EVF’s and LCD’s as well as a great sensor. The Z7 filed are big to work with in Lightroom and Photoshop and that’s lossless compressed. The A7RIV files would be HUGE as Sony doesn’t have lossless compressed so you’d probably end up using compressed as uncompressed would be unworkable.

Yeah I agree. Definitely not interested in an RIV only the body design. 20-30mp bodies are enough for me. But 45 would probably be my max. It’s took Apple 3 year to produce what seems like a good MacBook, after the keyboard issues. But wouldn’t want to replace that too just for processing. I think if you look at Sony stuff, threads etc it seems like a good idea. If you spend time reading Nikon or whoever then it’s the opposite. Probably best to avoid other stuff to stop the GAS.

Never buy a camera to fit your camera bag. They may do initially, but give it a few weeks and it will not fit with all the rest of the stuff you fill the spaces with. :exit:

Yeah I agree. Definitely not interested in an RIV only the body design. 20-30mp bodies are enough for me. But 45 would probably be my max. It’s took Apple 3 year to produce what seems like a good MacBook, after the keyboard issues. But wouldn’t want to replace that too just for processing. I think if you look at Sony stuff, threads etc it seems like a good idea. If you spend time reading Nikon or whoever then it’s the opposite. Probably best to avoid other stuff to stop the GAS.
Forums are always bad for feeding GAS and thinking the other side is greener. I like swapping and trying new gear and would like to try the Sony, but to swap is just too expensive and it would mainly only be a swap out of curiosity as I'm pretty sure Nikon will get there with the AF, and when they do and it's paired with the best (imo) mirrorless body design it's going to be a hard combo to beat.

Never buy a camera to fit your camera bag. They may do initially, but give it a few weeks and it will not fit with all the rest of the stuff you fill the spaces with. :exit:

Yeah I suppose, the alternative is to buy bags around your gear and have as much invested in camera bags as gear for every possible scenario and load-out:ROFLMAO:

May I’ll just buy the 6L version too.

Last edited:
Forums are always bad for feeding GAS and thinking the other side is greener. I like swapping and trying new gear and would like to try the Sony, but to swap is just too expensive and it would mainly only be a swap out of curiosity as I'm pretty sure Nikon will get there with the AF, and when they do and it's paired with the best (imo) mirrorless body design it's going to be a hard combo to beat.

I think trying a body out for a few days is probably the best idea. Would just get it out the system. Yeah cost is an issue for the amount of use I have had just burning money

Think I’m past that point. :(

As in you have enough for all occasions, or you’re over it.

I didnt have any bags so it’s resulted in me leaving camera at home. This small bag is okay and won’t mind carrying it if just going out for a little. Can stop dumping my pockets in my girlfriends bag too.

I think trying a body out for a few days is probably the best idea. Would just get it out the system. Yeah cost is an issue for the amount of use I have had just burning money

As in you have enough for all occasions, or you’re over it.

I didnt have any bags so it’s resulted in me leaving camera at home. This small bag is okay and won’t mind carrying it if just going out for a little. Can stop dumping my pockets in my girlfriends bag too.
As in, despite regular culling< I have too many bags. Actually I haven't but SOMEONE thinks I have. :p

Help what's gone wrong

Just got back and all my Z50 images have vignetting, I used the same lens hood and same filter as on the previous 5 outings, please dont judge the images they are part of my getting to know the camera and how it behaves in different situations, the first file i had to retrieve from the bin.

This is from the other day complete with basic info

DSC_0793.jpg

Capture1.JPG

This is from today

DSC_1265.jpg

Please ser next post for info as i can only put three images in a post

Info for the second image

Capture2.JPG

Help what's gone wrong

Just got back and all my Z50 images have vignetting, I used the same lens hood and same filter as on the previous 5 outings, please dont judge the images they are part of my getting to know the camera and how it behaves in different situations, the first file i had to retrieve from the bin.

View attachment 261648

View attachment 261649

This is from today

View attachment 261650

Lens hood not clicked round fully? I’ve done this myself.

Help what's gone wrong

View attachment 261648

View attachment 261649

This is from today

View attachment 261650

TBH I can see vignetting on both, maybe with the scene it's just accentuated more on the second? I got vignetting similar to this with the AF-P 70-300mm at 300mm. If you can see a definite difference in vignetting based on the rest of your images maybe you had the vignette correction setting turned on in camera and haven't this time?

TBH I can see vignetting on both, maybe with the scene it's just accentuated more on the second? I got vignetting similar to this with the AF-P 70-300mm at 300mm. If you can see a definite difference in vignetting based on the rest of your images maybe you had the vignette correction setting turned on in camera and haven't this time?

Thanks, pretty much come to that conclusion,i have checked the menu and it was turned off, how I don't know but have turned it back on and will see next time.

Just a couple from yesterday while it was sunny. Nothing special, but the first one is to illustrate the IBIS on the Z6 - 1/3 second hand-held. Not up to m4/3 Oly standards perhaps, but I personally wouldn't want my waterfalls to look any milkier anyway.

The second was with my Olympus Zuiko OM 100mm f2.8 at f2.8. A joy of a lens. I focussed on the front row of reeds. Dead easy with peaking.

Ribblehead Quarry Waterfall by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Reeds by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Last edited:
The biggest problem i have with the Z50 is waiting for the FTZ so i can use longer than 250mm, a fairly heavy crop.mind you its good practice for keeping the focus point on target.

DSC_1209.jpg

Back