Nikon Z* mirrorless

It’s difficult to make a direct comparison as I went D750 > D850 > Z7 but my opinion is that the Z7 is a match in AF in average and good light, but in low light, especially artificial low light I find the Z7 struggles more. Overall I trusted the D750 and D850 more, I just knew they’d focus without trouble whereas there’s a niggle of ‘worry’ with the Z7.

Now all that being said I prefer using the Z7, I like mirrorless ‘function’ in that it switches from EVF to live view automatically and live view AF works just as well as EVF. Ergonomics are great, build quality is great and image quality is great. The only things I wished it had compared to Nikon DSLRs is a dedicated AF mode button, dual card slots and D850 or better AF performance.

Adapted lenses work very well, pretty much as good as they do on the F-mount bodies, maybe a fraction of a millisecond difference

This AF "niggle" is whats holding me back from trying a Z body (along with the single card slot...), I'd love someone to say it matches a D5 or D500 for AF!

Also still not heard if anyone is successfully using a 300mm f/2.8, 400mm f/2.8, 500mm f/4 or 24mm PC-E on the FTZ adapter, guess I'll have to wait and see if something like a Z9 materialises!

GC

It doesn't match the D5 or D500 for AF. Waiting for the next FW update to see what happens on that.

If the lenses you mention are the AF-S versions they will work fine.

It doesn't match the D5 or D500 for AF. Waiting for the next FW update to see what happens on that.

Good to hear, thanks. Obviously the "tilt/shift" isn't AF-S, anyone using a PC lens on the FTZ?

GC

This AF "niggle" is whats holding me back from trying a Z body (along with the single card slot...), I'd love someone to say it matches a D5 or D500 for AF!

Also still not heard if anyone is successfully using a 300mm f/2.8, 400mm f/2.8, 500mm f/4 or 24mm PC-E on the FTZ adapter, guess I'll have to wait and see if something like a Z9 materialises!

GC

TBH I’m not sure if the next gen Z’s will match the D5 or D500 in terms of AF, let alone an AF update. If they match the D850 that’s be fine for me though.

If they bring out the rumoured Z9 they really have to make sure they’ve nailed the AF system. I hope they wait and get it ‘right’ and don’t try to rush it to market. I’d expect price to be £4.5-5k though.
Of course, this is all just pure speculation on my behalf ;)

I’d expect price to be £4.5-5k though.
Of course, this is all just pure speculation on my behalf ;)

I'd maybe take a punt on one in that price range, pretty sure the eagerly anticipated D6 will be north of that range!

GC

I'd maybe take a punt on one in that price range, pretty sure the eagerly anticipated D6 will be north of that range!

GC
Tbh I’m only judging it on the A9/A9-II price. The D6 should be a beast (y)

I do worry that as f2.8 points out, for professional use, there runs the much higher risk of losing the photos due to the z6 and z7 only having one slot. What is the likely hood of that happening? With QXD being much more robust in terms of construction at least, has anybody lost photos with this storage method? Perhaps using the D750 as the workhorse with more occasional use of the Z6 more so as a backup in Wedding situations? I'm just keen to have a casual body that's more modern, and the liveview capabilities of mirrorless would be great for macro stuff. It just seems sad that for us Wedding togs, to stay in the Nikon camp, the only feesible option is DSLR? I can understand why people are jumping over to Sony for the mirrorless benifits.

Last edited:
I do worry that as f2.8 points out, for professional use, there runs the much higher risk of losing the photos due to the z6 and z7 only having one slot. What is the likely hood of that happening? With QXD being much more robust in terms of construction at least, has anybody lost photos with this storage method? Perhaps using the D750 as the workhorse with more occasional use of the Z6 more so as a backup in Wedding situations? I'm just keen to have a casual body that's more modern, and the liveview capabilities of mirrorless would be great for macro stuff. It just seems sad that for us Wedding togs, to stay in the Nikon camp, the only feesible option is DSLR? I can understand why people are jumping over to Sony for the mirrorless benifits.
To be fair it’s a great first attempt from Nikon, don’t forget it’s taken Sony 3-4 generations to get it right in terms of AF performance. IIRC it wasn’t until the 3rd gen that they introduced dual slots.

As frustrating as it is for us, manufacturers have to leave room for future bodies. I wish they’d smashed it out the park with the Z6/7 but where would that leave them for future releases? Look at the flack the A9-II is getting (except for pros that want the instant transfer). It’s a truly abating camera yet it’s being criticised for not being much of an update.

Let's not get drawn away from the fact that, for amateurs like me whose principle interests are landscape and industrial photography, and rarely want to see a person any other place than behind the lens, the Z is a great camera. Better than any I've used, with the possible exception of the original Canon 5D, a dust magnet if there ever was one. True, I've not actively used a Sony - only handled one at a photography show - but I was appalled by the ergonomics and general feel of the camera.

That's not to say there are still a few ergonomic frustrations, such as having to make at least two separate actuations to activate a particular function, but they are functions I don't use every day.

To be fair it’s a great first attempt from Nikon, don’t forget it’s taken Sony 3-4 generations to get it right in terms of AF performance. IIRC it wasn’t until the 3rd gen that they introduced dual slots.

As frustrating as it is for us, manufacturers have to leave room for future bodies. I wish they’d smashed it out the park with the Z6/7 but where would that leave them for future releases? Look at the flack the A9-II is getting (except for pros that want the instant transfer). It’s a truly abating camera yet it’s being criticised for not being much of an update.

I think manufacturers need to stop with that BS and go for broke when they design a new system. Not one ML system has had everything to suit yet from the off, someone should break the mould. I don't have any sympathy for multi million dollar companies and their ifs and buts ...

Canon needed to add IBIS, Sony need to concentrate more on non toy like ergonomics and fire the 5yr old who designed their menu system, Nikon should have stuck with SD slots or at least one of each, Panasonic forgot the memo about keeping size and weight down. Not one of them has it all - Dual slots, IBIS, excellent AF system, flippy-flappy-twist and do the mash potato LCD, great ergonomics and decent native lenses to START with. Not one, and if you were asked a couple years ago what is needed for a FFML camera in 2019, those would be top of the list for most people.

Let's not get drawn away from the fact that, for amateurs like me whose principle interests are landscape and industrial photography, and rarely want to see a person any other place than behind the lens, the Z is a great camera. Better than any I've used, with the possible exception of the original Canon 5D, a dust magnet if there ever was one. True, I've not actively used a Sony - only handled one at a photography show - but I was appalled by the ergonomics and general feel of the camera.

That's not to say there are still a few ergonomic frustrations, such as having to make at least two separate actuations to activate a particular function, but they are functions I don't use every day.

My requirements these days are very similar to yours Stephen, so I agree with what you've said. I also use my Z6 for family days out with my very active 7 year old son. So far, the Z6 hasn't let me down yet in that regard either.

Cheers,

Simon.

My requirements these days are very similar to yours Stephen, so I agree with what you've said. I also use my Z6 for family days out with my very active 7 year old son. So far, the Z6 hasn't let me down yet in that regard either.

Cheers,

Simon.

I think if I didn’t have a Sony first hand I’d of settled with the z6. But as I had a a7iii I was spoilt with it AF system so I was seeing a difference.

I think if I didn’t have a Sony first hand I’d of settled with the z6. But as I had a a7iii I was spoilt with it AF system so I was seeing a difference.

What do you shoot that requires speedier AF? Just curious, seeing all this 'better AF system' lark about online and I don't get it tbh. Unless you're shooting birds in flight a lot or shooting mostly sports, then does it really matter? I've never missed a shot I needed, even on older cameras, due to s***ty AF - I would say most cameras produced in the past 5-6 years should be plenty nippy enough. Is that all the A9 offers over cheaper alternatives?

What do you shoot that requires speedier AF? Just curious, seeing all this 'better AF system' lark about online and I don't get it tbh. Unless you're shooting birds in flight a lot or shooting mostly sports, then does it really matter? I've never missed a shot I needed, even on older cameras, due to s***ty AF - I would say most cameras produced in the past 5-6 years should be plenty nippy enough. Is that all the A9 offers over cheaper alternatives?

Like I said spoilt for choice and if got it it handy

Like I said spoilt for choice and if got it it handy

Yeah may as well have it if you can but for me, AF is never really high on the list. But I don't really shoot anything that requires lightening fast eye AF, I mean when my kids were toddlers I managed just fine with a D200 and old Nikon D primes

As frustrating as it is for us, manufacturers have to leave room for future bodies. I wish they’d smashed it out the park with the Z6/7 but where would that leave them for future releases? Look at the
flack the A9-II is getting (except for pros that want the instant transfer). It’s a truly abating camera yet it’s being criticised for not being much of an update.

I dont think Nikon purposely made their camera worse so they had room for future improvement. They were late to the party and clearly saw the A7ii as the bar to match, which they did. I think the mk3 genuinely caught them by surprise . And yes the mk3 was a lot better than the earlier Sony incarnations.

Yeah may as well have it if you can but for me, AF is never really high on the list. But I don't really shoot anything that requires lightening fast eye AF, I mean when my kids were toddlers I managed just fine with a D200 and old Nikon D primes
When my kids were toddlers it was manual focus with a Nikon FM. If the brats dared move they’d get a clip round the ear. (Only joking. Ish.)

I think manufacturers need to stop with that BS and go for broke when they design a new system. Not one ML system has had everything to suit yet from the off, someone should break the mould. I don't have any sympathy for multi million dollar companies and their ifs and buts ...

Canon needed to add IBIS, Sony need to concentrate more on non toy like ergonomics and fire the 5yr old who designed their menu system, Nikon should have stuck with SD slots or at least one of each, Panasonic forgot the memo about keeping size and weight down. Not one of them has it all - Dual slots, IBIS, excellent AF system, flippy-flappy-twist and do the mash potato LCD, great ergonomics and decent native lenses to START with. Not one, and if you were asked a couple years ago what is needed for a FFML camera in 2019, those would be top of the list for most people.
Whilst I agree from a consumer point of view I'm not sure it makes a good business model. If they make "the perfect camera" (if there's such a thing) then how will they sell future models. It's a "what a consumer wants" vs a "business model".
I dont think Nikon purposely made their camera worse so they had room for future improvement. They were late to the party and clearly saw the A7ii as the bar to match, which they did. I think the mk3 genuinely caught them by surprise . And yes the mk3 was a lot better than the earlier Sony incarnations.
TBH I think all camera manufacturers are guilty of this, and most likely for the reason I just gave Cagey. Making a camera from scratch that as Nikon have billed themselves as a "Pro Camera" with only one card slot is crazy, and has been deliberately designed that way. Not enough room for two? Well they could've made the camera a few mm thicker, it was designed from scratch. Or why not just use 2 x UHS-II? You say that the A7iii caught them by surprise, but the A7RIII didn't and I'd argue that the A7RIII's AF is still slightly better.

However, the only people that know for sure are Nikon. Did they rush them, have the '"crippled" them by choice, is this the best they could do? We just will never know for sure. I've got my opinion, and that's why I'm confident that they'll be able to deliver better with future releases. For the meantime they've done a 'good job' with the first ones (y)

I agree with this too !

I even owned a Sony A7iii for a while - its undoubtedly a very good camera but I didn't like it. Felt like a computer and not a camera. It was working against me rather than with me.

However, I was starting to doubt whether I'd done the right thing buying a Z6 because of Sony shooters criticising it so much. Thankfully, I went out and took pictures and absolutely loved it.

Its difficult to put but I almost forgot it was there ? It just fits and feels intuitive and I dont have to think about anything other than the shot I was attmepting to take.

The Sony AF is better but if you read some reviews (a lot which put the Z6 above the A73) the difference isnt as great as some people make out.

Just my two penneth.....

Last edited:
I think we are all guilty and envious to some extent of wanting what someone else has. When first getting a camera we all do the research, ask friends advice even ask the right questions when deciding what to spend our money on, but the problems begin after that..... We all strive to learn our craft as best we can, some are better than others, but we all try to get better. We then out grow our beloved camera and look at fields afar, the manufacturers don’t help because they push the latest tech and tell us it will help your enjoyment more if you have the latest this and that. We all want what we want and if we can afford it we get it, if we can’t we make do until something comes along that we can afford. Society today tells you that you must have the latest technology, but do we really need it...... I read a post recently where someone stated that the camera they had was too much tech for what they needed and that they could have easily used an older model to do the job they wanted and to produce the pictures they were happy with.... in today‘s world where we all think we want the highest mega pixel count, we all forget that a 12mp Camera will give us great pictures. You used to hear the phrase Brand Snob but not so much these days, Forum’s like TP and others allow you to dip into the Brands of other manufacturers as well as your own and you therefore see and hear about something that may just be better than what you already have. Don’t get me wrong we all have a choice at the end of the day but I can’t help but feel if we’re happy with what camera we have we wouldn’t be swayed so easily to move it on or put it aside....... Ramble over, lol....

I think we are all guilty and envious to some extent of wanting what someone else has. When first getting a camera we all do the research, ask friends advice even ask the right questions when deciding what to spend our money on, but the problems begin after that..... We all strive to learn our craft as best we can, some are better than others, but we all try to get better. We then out grow our beloved camera and look at fields afar, the manufacturers don’t help because they push the latest tech and tell us it will help your enjoyment more if you have the latest this and that. We all want what we want and if we can afford it we get it, if we can’t we make do until something comes along that we can afford. Society today tells you that you must have the latest technology, but do we really need it...... I read a post recently where someone stated that the camera they had was too much tech for what they needed and that they could have easily used an older model to do the job they wanted and to produce the pictures they were happy with.... in today‘s world where we all think we want the highest mega pixel count, we all forget that a 12mp Camera will give us great pictures. You used to hear the phrase Brand Snob but not so much these days, Forum’s like TP and others allow you to dip into the Brands of other manufacturers as well as your own and you therefore see and hear about something that may just be better than what you already have. Don’t get me wrong we all have a choice at the end of the day but I can’t help but feel if we’re happy with what camera we have we wouldn’t be swayed so easily to move it on or put it aside....... Ramble over, lol....
Absolutely, I don’t think any of us ‘need’ the tech in modern cameras but we often think we do ;)

My biggest ‘issue’ is that I like to try new stuff, not because I necessarily think it will be better, but because it’s different and something new to learn. I like finding out about things, how things work etc and this is usually the driving force to me switching gear (as well as weight saving).

Is it a great first attempt though! I said it at the time of the release of their FF mirrorless cameras that Nikon and Canon had years to get ready for market, and by biding their time, they should have at least had cameras that matched what Sony had, but hopefully exceeded what they had on the market, and for me they didn't, and were still lagging. Given the pace that Sony release cameras, it is likely that they could be another generation behind when they release more cameras, always playing catch up.

It is no good leaving things out for the future releases, if what you have put out isn't seen as good enough alternative to those with no allegiances brand wise. And that is assuming that they have stuff to leave out. Maybe that is as good as Nikon (and Canon) can do atm.

Nikon and Canon were always going to sell well initially to their loyal bases who wanted FF mirrorless, and had been waiting patiently, but they have to appeal beyond that. Because Sony have had such a head start, and all the native lenses they now have in comparison to Nikon and Canon, and the sensor and AF advantage they have, I would find it hard to recommend anyone not go Sony other than the usual advice of try and feel the cameras you are interested in first to see whether you get on with the ergonomics. Ergonomics may be a selling point for some, but Sony have proved that if the camera/system is good as a whole, people will put up with 'not the best' ;) ergonomics.

Is it a great first attempt though! I said it at the time of the release of their FF mirrorless cameras that Nikon and Canon had years to get ready for market, and by biding their time, they should have at least had cameras that matched what Sony had, but hopefully exceeded what they had on the market, and for me they didn't, and were still lagging. Given the pace that Sony release cameras, it is likely that they could be another generation behind when they release more cameras, always playing catch up.

It is no good leaving things out for the future releases, if what you have put out isn't seen as good enough alternative to those with no allegiances brand wise. And that is assuming that they have stuff to leave out. Maybe that is as good as Nikon (and Canon) can do atm.

Nikon and Canon were always going to sell well initially to their loyal bases who wanted FF mirrorless, and had been waiting patiently, but they have to appeal beyond that. Because Sony have had such a head start, and all the native lenses they now have in comparison to Nikon and Canon, and the sensor and AF advantage they have, I would find it hard to recommend anyone not go Sony other than the usual advice of try and feel the cameras you are interested in first to see whether you get on with the ergonomics. Ergonomics may be a selling point for some, but Sony have proved that if the camera/system is good as a whole, people will put up with 'not the best' ;) ergonomics.

Ergonomics are a personal thing, performance can be measured. Imo, iq and af are tie and ergonomics come last, most people get used to the way a camera feels after a week of good shooting and the rest will stand out in keepers.

Sony certainly have a lot going for them, especially in tech terms, they are impressive. That being said I’ve tried them several times and they’re just not for me.

I regard to being a good first attempt I think they are yes. I don’t profess to understand R and D but if starting from scratch with their own people then yeah it’s a good job. Shame they couldn’t ‘steal’ Sony employees to help them with the AF though ;)

Ergonomics are a personal thing, performance can be measured. Imo, iq and af are tie and ergonomics come last, most people get used to the way a camera feels after a week of good shooting and the rest will stand out in keepers.
It’s different for everyone, which is why there’s no one camera for everyone. For me it’s the whole package, the IQ, AF, build, ergonomics, quality of the screen etc etc.

I like things that ‘feel’ quality. It’s like phones, Samsung and Huwaii (or however it’s spelt) have tech that’s better than the iPhone but the iPhone just ‘feels’ a better product imo.

I understand it’s different if people are paying or relying on your shots but for me it’s a hobby so I prefer something that’s nice to use over the latest and greatest tech (y) Don’t get me wrong, I get GAS for tech sometimes but if I’m being honest with myself that alone doesn’t give me longevity with gear.

It’s different for everyone, which is why there’s no one camera for everyone. For me it’s the whole package, the IQ, AF, build, ergonomics, quality of the screen etc etc.

I like things that ‘feel’ quality. It’s like phones, Samsung and Huwaii (or however it’s spelt) have tech that’s better than the iPhone but the iPhone just ‘feels’ a better product imo.

I understand it’s different if people are paying or relying on your shots but for me it’s a hobby so I prefer something that’s nice to use over the latest and greatest tech (y) Don’t get me wrong, I get GAS for tech sometimes but if I’m being honest with myself that alone doesn’t give me longevity with gear.

I think you'll find that's hwaaaa_way. Sorry, but id rather have the shot than worry about whether my pinky is dangling off my grip or add a grip that's actually a proper grip than a battery pack. I left android, went iPhone again but Tbh, just not as good as they used to be, p30 pro is doing nicely. Hobby shots are just as important or you wouldn't have spent thousands already.

Last edited:
I think you'll find that's hwaaaa_way. Sorry, but id rather have the shot than worry about whether my pinky is dangling off my grip or add a grip that's actually a proper grip than a battery pack. I left android, went iPhone again but Tbh, just not as good as they used to be, p30 pro is doing nicely. Hobby shots are just as important or you wouldn't have spent thousands already.
Lol.

Tbh I probably enjoy the process of getting the shot more than the shot itself. I enjoy photography, but I get frustrated by my images wondering why I’m not as good as others :LOL:

Back onto ergonomics though, the latest two Sonys (A7RIV and A9-II) are the first two Sony mirrorless that are usable for me, and yes you’re right I would get used to the grip etc not being as good (for me) as the Nikon hence why I’ve seriously considered them this week. But as you know it’s not going to happen, but I am not in any way disappointed to be sticking with Nikon (y)

snerkler has been diseased, spending way too much time in 'that' thread :ROFLMAO: imagining the later S*ny cameras are anywhere close to comfy :LOL:

snerkler has been diseased, spending way too much time in 'that' thread :ROFLMAO: imagining the later S*ny cameras are anywhere close to comfy :LOL:
:ROFLMAO:

They're not bad tbh. I don't mind flirting with the idea of buying other gear as I have the ability to say know if it doesn't add up ;)

You've been poisoned! :O

Lol, just kidding obviously, no harm in looking at other options. It's all just gear end of the day, what you do with it counts most :)

Taking puppy shots at the moment lol

You've been poisoned! :O

Lol, just kidding obviously, no harm in looking at other options. It's all just gear end of the day, what you do with it counts most :)
Very true. I'm always looking, always have and sure I always will. I've been lucky that I've owned some really nice gear, and have been able to swap and change how I have. I've very nearly gone back to Sony a few times over the years, and this time was no exception. I think if I could have got my fingers between the grip and lens properly on the A9 I could well have swapped as it would have just about been affordable. The A9-II is just not an option.

But all that being said I could have ended up regretting it as there's so many things about the Nikon that I prefer. Also, I'm sure Nikon will get there and if I'd gone to the dark side I'd have ended up with a camera that doesn't feel as nice to use with no better/only marginally better performance and would be wanting to swap back to Nikon again ;)

Part of me thinks I may have jumped into the Z system too early as the AF system isn't there yet, and maybe I should have stuck with the D850 for a while, but at the end of the day I do prefer using the Z7 so I don't really have any regrets 'as a package'. The only reason I've been feeling like this is due to the new puppy, the speed of acquisition and therefore the speed that you can start shooting is definitely not there on the Z7. For example yesterday my puppy came running round the side of the house and I went to take the shot, but I pressed the shutter and nothing happened as the camera hadn't acquired focus, by which time she'd run right up to me and the moment was gone. The D850 would have got the shot. It's clearly not the end of the world, I did get some shote and there'll be plenty more photos opportunities, I'm just using it as an example of where the Z7 isn't quite there yet.

Very true. I'm always looking, always have and sure I always will. I've been lucky that I've owned some really nice gear, and have been able to swap and change how I have. I've very nearly gone back to Sony a few times over the years, and this time was no exception. I think if I could have got my fingers between the grip and lens properly on the A9 I could well have swapped as it would have just about been affordable. The A9-II is just not an option.

But all that being said I could have ended up regretting it as there's so many things about the Nikon that I prefer. Also, I'm sure Nikon will get there and if I'd gone to the dark side I'd have ended up with a camera that doesn't feel as nice to use with no better/only marginally better performance and would be wanting to swap back to Nikon again ;)

Part of me thinks I may have jumped into the Z system too early as the AF system isn't there yet, and maybe I should have stuck with the D850 for a while, but at the end of the day I do prefer using the Z7 so I don't really have any regrets 'as a package'. The only reason I've been feeling like this is due to the new puppy, the speed of acquisition and therefore the speed that you can start shooting is definitely not there on the Z7. For example yesterday my puppy came running round the side of the house and I went to take the shot, but I pressed the shutter and nothing happened as the camera hadn't acquired focus, by which time she'd run right up to me and the moment was gone. The D850 would have got the shot. It's clearly not the end of the world, I did get some shote and there'll be plenty more photos opportunities, I'm just using it as an example of where the Z7 isn't quite there yet.

I's a bit catch 22, if you stuck with the D850 longer, it wouldn't be worth as much when you go to sell. As for the AF, I've not used a Z body yet but I've owned cameras that were iffy in that dept. You learn to predict where the action will be and always leave the camera on - barely uses up more battery over switching on and off all the time. I'm talking when you plan to take some pictures obviously, not on all the time. But take my H1, it can be a bit sluggish to 'wake up' and also when you go to preview images. There's a 'cachunk' sound, like the IBIS system needs to go sleep before you can preview which is really irritating. So if I know I'm going to be shooting anything over the next hour or so I will leave the camera on, and don't preview images until I know I'm done.

Last edited:
I's a bit catch 22, if you stuck with the D850 longer, it wouldn't be worth as much when you go to sell. As for the AF, I've not used a Z body yet but I've owned cameras that were iffy in that dept. You learn to predict where the action will be and always leave the camera on - barely uses up more battery over switching on and off all the time. I'm talking when you plan to take some pictures obviously, not on all the time. But take my H1, it can be a bit sluggish to 'wake up' and also when you go to preview images. There's a 'cachunk' sound, like the IBIS system needs to go sleep before you can preview which is really irritating. So if I know I'm going to be shooting anything over the next hour or so I will leave the camera on, and don't preview images until I know I'm done.
Think you've misunderstood. The camera was on already and ready to go, puppy ran around the corner, raised the camera to take the shot but the AF didn't acquire focus fast enough and it wouldn't take the shot (I always have my cameras set to focus release) (y)

Here's one I did manage to grab though with her running at full pelt. Wasn't really a panning shot as it might appear as she was running at a 3/4 angle and then suddenly darted sideways.

NZ7_3514-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

And a walking shot with the 85mm f1.8G

NZ7_3491
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
That the reason trade in price crap

Back