Nikon Z* mirrorless

Well, I’ve just ordered the Tamron 17-35. Was a toss-up twixt that and a used Nikon 18-35, but the Tammy wasn’t that much dearer and it has good reports. Would never be able to afford or justify the upcoming 14-30. Unfortunately no grey stock available, but I got a good price from Wilkinsons. Should be here tomorrow. At least now I’ve found a use for that adapter!

Well, I’ve just ordered the Tamron 17-35. Was a toss-up twixt that and a used Nikon 18-35, but the Tammy wasn’t that much dearer and it has good reports. Would never be able to afford or justify the upcoming 14-30. Unfortunately no grey stock available, but I got a good price from Wilkinsons. Should be here tomorrow. At least now I’ve found a use for that adapter!

Be very interested in your thoughts on it.

Be very interested in your thoughts on it.
and I'm also very interested in how the Tamron performs. It seems to be available in Germany for under £500 new (what did you pay?). Let me know your impressions -the reviews have certainly been overwhelmingly positive. My only query would be whether I wouldn't prefer to go down to 14mm but I'd likely be paying more than twice the price. With a lens like that, I'd probably go for a trip 17-35+ 50 + 70-300 which is exactly what I did with my D700 and along the lines of my Fuji setup. The 24-70 would then be general purpose carryaround. It would of course be nice to have mainly S lenses but that'll take a while.

Last edited:
and I'm also very interested in how the Tamron performs. It seems to be available in Germany for under £500 new (what did you pay?). Let me know your impressions -the reviews have certainly been overwhelmingly positive. My only query would be whether I wouldn't prefer to go down to 14mm but I'd likely be paying more than twice the price. With a lens like that, I'd probably go for a trip 17-35+ 50 + 70-300 which is exactly what I did with my D700 and along the lines of my Fuji setup. The 24-70 would then be general purpose carryaround. It would of course be nice to have mainly S lenses but that'll take a while.
I’m paying £599, which is about £30 less than retail. E-Infin list it as £419, but don’t know when or if they’ll get stock. That should complete my setup, although I’ll try an adapter for my Pentax 135 for the few occasions I need a tele.

the lens seems actually cheaper here though I note that my price was actually for a customer return (in under 14 days) from one of Germany's most reputable dealers so around 7% less though it's classified as new for warranty purposes. Still, £493 ain't bad, it seems! I must resist!

I'm interested that you don't seem to go for tele very often which seems different to my usage, esp. in mountain areas. Anyway, keep us posted!

I’ve crumbled. It arrived this lunchtime. with the ftz and 24-70. I had a play with a friends on Wednesday and ordered one about an hour after getting back. Not tried it in anger yet, but the silent shooting and EVF is what pushed me over the edge. The mechanical shutter is really quiet too, wasn’t expecting that, so that’s another bonus. I have to say, first impressions are very good.

I tried my Tamron 70-200 G2 on my friends and it worked perfectly with the ftz. I was also impressed with his 24-70 f4. My own 24-70 f2.8 could be for sale shortly :)

Last edited:
I’ve crumbled. It arrived this lunchtime. with the ftz and 24-70. I had a play with a friends on Wednesday and ordered one about an hour after getting back. Not tried it in anger yet, but the silent shooting and EVF is what pushed me over the edge. The mechanical shutter is really quiet too, wasn’t expecting that, so that’s another bonus. I have to say, first impressions are very good.

I tried my Tamron 70-200 G2 on my friends and it worked perfectly with the ftz. I was also impressed with his 24-70 f4. My own 24-70 f2.8 could be for sale shortly :)

Congratulations. Good to see another Z owner.

the silent shooting alone should be enough to make many DSLR owners convert. And I, too, was surprised by how quiet the mechanical shutter was, esp. in EFCS mode. It was actually a Z7 which first converted me as before Christmas, the 6 was still as rare as hen's teeth.

im rather impressed with the wireless transfer too, plus snapbridge seems quite effective. im currently messing about with trying to get my head round all this wireless transfer stuff. my thoughts being that i can have it uploading my jpegs to my phone as i am walking about with it. like a pseudo 2nd card if you will :)

i have found a problem though when auto uploading to lightroom. here is the walk through the process.

Shoot a raw image.
It auto uploads wirelessly from camera to my mac no problem
Lightroom finds the auto uploaded image in the mac folder
Lightroom auto imports from that folder
Lightroom only displays the top half of the image, the lower half is solid yellow (like a corrupted file.

When you import in the normal way there is no problem.

The workflow problem above doesn't seem to affect jpegs, only raw.

Last edited:
the silent shooting alone should be enough to make many DSLR owners convert. And I, too, was surprised by how quiet the mechanical shutter was, esp. in EFCS mode. It was actually a Z7 which first converted me as before Christmas, the 6 was still as rare as hen's teeth.

If we're talking about an electronic shutter I think it's important for new users to realise that there are couple of potential issues with it, namely rolling shutter effects which have never affected me and banding under some flickering lighting which has affected me (I don't have a Nikon) and can be shot ruining.

my only issue with it is the min 1/2000 shutter speed. I seldom shoot under flickering lighting. Whether it really helps to eliminate shutter shock I can't say as I've not been affected by it so far.

Got my Tamron 17-35 this morning as promised. However, it gave an error message on mounting it, and Wilkinsons promptly diagnosed it as needing a firmware update. So it’s gone off to Intro2020 for updating. It does sit nice on the camera.

To add insult to injury, my broadband is down, seemingly due to a cockup by Openretch regarding my upcoming move later this month. So having to use a slow tethering to my phone.

Got my Tamron 17-35 this morning as promised. However, it gave an error message on mounting it, and Wilkinsons promptly diagnosed it as needing a firmware update. So it’s gone off to Intro2020 for updating. It does sit nice on the camera.

To add insult to injury, my broadband is down, seemingly due to a cockup by Openretch regarding my upcoming move later this month. So having to use a slow tethering to my phone.
by chance I did happen to read something this afternoon which suggested the Tamron may require a firmware update on the Z series. Normally no problem but it seems you can't do it yourself unless you fork out for a Tamron TAP console which is certainly not something I knew about Tamron lenses. A bit of a pain though I assume that in due course the update will be done at the production stage. Openretch behaviour seems entirely typical -- as an ex BT GLobal Services employee (unwillingly so as I was outsourced) - I know something of their methods.

by chance I did happen to read something this afternoon which suggested the Tamron may require a firmware update on the Z series. Normally no problem but it seems you can't do it yourself unless you fork out for a Tamron TAP console which is certainly not something I knew about Tamron lenses. A bit of a pain though I assume that in due course the update will be done at the production stage. Openretch behaviour seems entirely typical -- as an ex BT GLobal Services employee (unwillingly so as I was outsourced) - I know something of their methods.
It’s my understanding the Tamron hub requires a PC, not a Mac, so that’s out of the question.

EDIT the console does work with Macs, but costs £75!!

It now seems it’s a software glitch at Plusnet which has caused the problem, which could take a few days for them to fix. Shades of the TSB!

Last edited:
I was dreading the G2 not working when I was looking at getting a Z6. Fortunately my guinea pig friend let me test it out on his first. That usb Tap is well pricey at £75
The main point of the TAP is to fine tune the focus calibration which shouldn't be necessary with the Z system. For those with a DSLR and several of the supported G2 Tamron lenses then it could be a good investment, I guess. For a one-off firmware update, hardly.

The main point of the TAP is to fine tune the focus calibration which shouldn't be necessary with the Z system. For those with a DSLR and several of the supported G2 Tamron lenses then it could be a good investment, I guess. For a one-off firmware update, hardly.

I agree, thats all I would have needed it for, but fortunately, it wasn't required and the G2 worked straight off the bat, and it works well!

Stupid question as I’m new to the Z6. If I record in 120p how do I view play it as slow motion please? Seems to play at normal speed. And yes, no jokes, I really am that new to digital video

you've resurfaced with a nice shot which shows the freshness and brilliance which this sensor can provide.

Let me just reply with something quite different! This is actually using Capture One's Fuji Pro Neg High film simulation.

DSC_0242.jpg

Well, having sent my new Tamron 17-35 away to Intro2020 for a firmware update to enable it to work on the Z6 via the FTZ, I returned from a dog walk this afternoon to find that DPD had left a parcel to me. (The driver had passed me on the walk and indicated there was a parcel which he would leave in the Usual Place). Inside was this very lens, updated as requested. Amazing service considering they only received it Monday and today's Wednesday. Not tried it in the field, but all functions work well. It doesn't focus quite as quickly, nor as silently, as the native 24-70, but it's fine by me. Photos to follow (although not promising when due to house move!).

@Cheese Scientist

Amanda. How are finding the Tammy 15-30 ?
Is yours the G2?
Might consider it instead of the Z mount 14-30
I like that it’s F2.8
I’ve also been considering Siggy 24 art..

I hate myself sometimes..

Well, having sent my new Tamron 17-35 away to Intro2020 for a firmware update to enable it to work on the Z6 via the FTZ, I returned from a dog walk this afternoon to find that DPD had left a parcel to me. (The driver had passed me on the walk and indicated there was a parcel which he would leave in the Usual Place). Inside was this very lens, updated as requested. Amazing service considering they only received it Monday and today's Wednesday. Not tried it in the field, but all functions work well. It doesn't focus quite as quickly, nor as silently, as the native 24-70, but it's fine by me. Photos to follow (although not promising when due to house move!).

Great service

Canon have announced a bunch of new lenses... time for Nikon to show their hand?

Zooms:
  • RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
  • RF 15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • RF 24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • RF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM

Not really used it much - there was an intermittent issue when I did use it that I'd not seen on any other camera.
Mainly been using my nikkor 70-200 II which obs works great!
Maybe it needs a firmware update? See my recent posts on this. :)

Don't you need some kind of extra hardware to do that? (that I don't have)
You do if you want to do it yourself. Or you can send it to Intro2020. Speak to their service department; very helpful. They turned mine round next day. 01628 799902

Not really used it much - there was an intermittent issue when I did use it that I'd not seen on any other camera.
Mainly been using my nikkor 70-200 II which obs works great!

How’s the handling. It’s pretty big.

Back