Nikon Z* mirrorless

Just got a Z adapter for my Pentax K 135mm lens. Only tried it round the house, and not put any pics on the computer yet, but it looks promising. I do like how Nikon have the option to specify multiple manual lenses (instead of Fuji's 3) AND put selection of them into My Menu.

Decided to give the 24-70 kit lens a go.
Some snaps from today.

The stare.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

The stile in the mist.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

On the track.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Teasels.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

5Clandon House.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

Gotta say I'm very happy with it, was a bit trepidatious as I've got pretty used to the 35 and 50mm z primes.
It’s not a bad lens, is it? Kit lenses have come a long way since the bad old days.

no. 3 "On the Track" is certainly my favourite of this little bunch, Trevor. There's not a great deal wrong with the 24-70, I must say. In a couple of shots around 24mm, I've seen more barrel distortion than I'd expect which C1 doesn't yet have a lens profile for but substituting a Sony 24-70 seems to do the trick and probably LR corrects automatically as does Nikon Capture. Would you say that the 50mm is significantly better? I've seen some very nice shots with it. Annoyingly, the shop where I got the camera have suddenly decided to do a promotion sale on all things Z just weeks after I bought my Z6 typically :mad:and that lens is under £500 equivalent just now. I have an AIS 50mm f1.8 - certainly better than the later AF versions but of course it still has this dreamy effect up to f2 and the usual bokeh fringing etc.

Of your shots, Stephen, I actually like the Pentax the most. Far from shoddy lens it seems to me!

Just got a Z adapter for my Pentax K 135mm lens. Only tried it round the house, and not put any pics on the computer yet, but it looks promising. I do like how Nikon have the option to specify multiple manual lenses (instead of Fuji's 3) AND put selection of them into My Menu.
Fuji's always been crap with that (though the X-T3 might be better?) -- not even allowing you to specify the max aperture. Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something. The Z6 cannot index to the aperture ring so EXIF will always say the wide open aperture. Also, it seems daft that you can't enter the name of the lens so at least that will register in the EXIF -- such a simple thing to do, surely, which would avoid having to fart around with EXIFtool or the like.

no. 3 "On the Track" is certainly my favourite of this little bunch, Trevor. There's not a great deal wrong with the 24-70, I must say. In a couple of shots around 24mm, I've seen more barrel distortion than I'd expect which C1 doesn't yet have a lens profile for but substituting a Sony 24-70 seems to do the trick and probably LR corrects automatically as does Nikon Capture. Would you say that the 50mm is significantly better? I've seen some very nice shots with it. Annoyingly, the shop where I got the camera have suddenly decided to do a promotion sale on all things Z just weeks after I bought my Z6 typically :mad:and that lens is under £500 equivalent just now. I have an AIS 50mm f1.8 - certainly better than the later AF versions but of course it still has this dreamy effect up to f2 and the usual bokeh fringing etc.

Of your shots, Stephen, I actually like the Pentax the most. Far from shoddy lens it seems to me!

Thanks. Can’t say the 50 or the 35 for that matter are significantly better. Both seem very good indeed from wide open. I have become much more of a prime shooter lately.
The 24-70 has been a bit of a revelation. Liking all my Z mount lenses so far.
I’ve preordered the 14-30, might get a fast 24 though. Not sure when the native 24 will be announced.

The wideangle question rears its ugly head again! Yesterday, I cycled the few miles to the neighbouring mediaeval town of Esslingen for yet another Nikon v Fuji test but this time, I also wanted to see if an UWA is really needed for these kinds of shots. To be honest, with virtually all the shots I've taken around the 14-17mm mark the ones I like are those where I have tried to use the focal length in a creative way, rather than simply trying to include all of, say, an impossibly high church spire with surrounding buildings sloping inwards at about 30 degrees which tends to look daft. For travel landscapes, I tend not to really need it and it would be much easier to travel with only the 24-70 + 70-300.

Logic along these lines would dictate that "in for a penny, in for a pound", one should go for the widest portable and (somewhat once the price drops a bit) affordable option which for the Z is the 14-30. On the other hand, with my Nikon D700, I used the 17-35 f2.8 + 50mm f1.8 + (old and mediocre edges) 70-300mm, hence my interest in Stephen's Tamron.

Below is the main square in Esslingen in nasty contre jour lighting with the oldest half-timbered house in Germany just out of picture. The 24-70 did admirably (but my X-Pro2 also did better than expected if not quite as crisp).

DSC_0379.jpg

Dumb question but does the Z6 work the same as a DSLR with regards to flash etc...

The wideangle question rears its ugly head again! Yesterday, I cycled the few miles to the neighbouring mediaeval town of Esslingen for yet another Nikon v Fuji test but this time, I also wanted to see if an UWA is really needed for these kinds of shots. To be honest, with virtually all the shots I've taken around the 14-17mm mark the ones I like are those where I have tried to use the focal length in a creative way, rather than simply trying to include all of, say, an impossibly high church spire with surrounding buildings sloping inwards at about 30 degrees which tends to look daft. For travel landscapes, I tend not to really need it and it would be much easier to travel with only the 24-70 + 70-300.

Logic along these lines would dictate that "in for a penny, in for a pound", one should go for the widest portable and (somewhat once the price drops a bit) affordable option which for the Z is the 14-30. On the other hand, with my Nikon D700, I used the 17-35 f2.8 + 50mm f1.8 + (old and mediocre edges) 70-300mm, hence my interest in Stephen's Tamron.

Below is the main square in Esslingen in nasty contre jour lighting with the oldest half-timbered house in Germany just out of picture. The 24-70 did admirably (but my X-Pro2 also did better than expected if not quite as crisp).

View attachment 237463

Interesting point about ultra wide angles. I’m interested in them for creative uses when shooting close up. Farm machinery, motorcycles, abandoned wrecks. That sort of thing.
The Tamron 15-30 F2.8 is on my Radar but it’s massive.
I’d probably only carry it if I expected to use it. Not just in case.
Although if the Z14-30 was available...

Needs more thought..

Surprised there’s no talk of 24-70 F2.8 z lens. Anyone interested or preordered it.
Once upon a time I was happy with couple 2.8 zooms and a nifty fifty.

Surprised there’s no talk of 24-70 F2.8 z lens. Anyone interested or preordered it.
Once upon a time I was happy with couple 2.8 zooms and a nifty fifty.
Hard for me to imagine wanting to massively increase the weight and bulk just for an extra stop which I don't really need anyway (I'd sooner grab a prime instead). The f4 is already a very impressive 'pro' S lens rather than a compromised budget kit lens and I'm really happy with the handling and IQ... so the 2.8 would have to do something pretty astounding other than just offer another stop to make it worth the two grand plus price tag for me.

Hi, I'm new to the Nikon Z cameras, I bought a Z7 a few days ago & so far very impressed. I'm just using it with the kit 24-70, a 70-300 I got at the same time plus my Leica M primes. The Nikon lenses seem excellent to me, so I'll probably end up getting a couple of the Z primes & leave the M lenses on my film bodies.

I agree. I had the 24-70 f/2.8 G and while it’s a lovely lens, the f/4 kit lens is just so much smaller and for my needs the extra stop isn’t really necessary (especially if you have a fast prime in the kit bag). I’m sure the new 24-70 f/2.8 S will be stellar (preparing for the lens lust) but for me, I don’t think it would make much sense.

View attachment 237463
Strikes me that the 17-35 Tamron would be a good choice for you, as it’s cheaper than the Nikon will be and it’s available now. It’s probably not as neat as the native Z lens, but it’s no bad.

I believe it’s a different update, not the eye af. That’s coming in May apparently. Not sure what this one is about, but I’m not doing it just yet as I don’t want to jinx anything.
Just had a look... it's a small handful of pretty obscure bug fixes, nothing that I'm likely to encounter so I'll pass on this one too.

A quick question for those who have picked up a Z6 but have also used Fuji kit... Stephen L, Trevorbray etc.. How do you find the Z6 compared to the various X series cameras... I am interested the difference in ergonomics as much as anything. Certainly from an IQ point of view the kit lens (24-70 F4) seems to perform well... It is how it Handles that I am curious about.

A quick question for those who have picked up a Z6 but have also used Fuji kit... Stephen L, Trevorbray etc.. How do you find the Z6 compared to the various X series cameras... I am interested the difference in ergonomics as much as anything. Certainly from an IQ point of view the kit lens (24-70 F4) seems to perform well... It is how it Handles that I am curious about.

Trev. It handles very well indeed. I loved my Fuji X-H1 for ergonomics. The Nikon feels just as good in the hand. Yes the lenses are larger, but native mounts (so far) are relatively light.
Very happy with my decision
I’m easily able to walk about with Z6 and either 35, 50 or 24-70 for quite a while using a optech neck strap. Don’t tend to use heavier adapted lenses for just in case scenarios.

I find the handling better than Fuji camera I've tried or owned. I think the exposure compensation, for instance, is easier on a wheel like Fuji but the general ergonomics are pretty good with the Z6 and the great thing is you can customise most of the controls and menus to your taste. Having such a good, sharp EVF really makes a difference (though here I admit I haven't tried Fuji's newest gen. from the X-T3 or H1). The grip I find excellent. I was convinced after an hour or so handling and test the Z7 before the 6 was available.

IQ is better simply because the images have a pop and clarity which is often missing from Fuji with the difference generally being more noticeable in poorer light. I'm yet to establish exactly how much is due to the lenses and how much the sensor but it's the combination that works the magic together with a more reliable AF-S (I have the X-Pro2). However, I must say the Fuji 90mm was something special with a rendering that outclassed anything else I've ever used.

Trev. It handles very well indeed. I loved my Fuji X-H1 for ergonomics. The Nikon feels just as good in the hand. Yes the lenses are larger, but native mounts (so far) are relatively light.
Very happy with my decision
I’m easily able to walk about with Z6 and either 35, 50 or 24-70 for quite a while using a optech neck strap. Don’t tend to use heavier adapted lenses for just in case scenarios.

I find the handling better than Fuji camera I've tried or owned. I think the exposure compensation, for instance, is easier on a wheel like Fuji but the general ergonomics are pretty good with the Z6 and the great thing is you can customise most of the controls and menus to your taste. Having such a good, sharp EVF really makes a difference (though here I admit I haven't tried Fuji's newest gen. from the X-T3 or H1). The grip I find excellent. I was convinced after an hour or so handling and test the Z7 before the 6 was available.

IQ is better simply because the images have a pop and clarity which is often missing from Fuji with the difference generally being more noticeable in poorer light. I'm yet to establish exactly how much is due to the lenses and how much the sensor but it's the combination that works the magic together with a more reliable AF-S (I have the X-Pro2). However, I must say the Fuji 90mm was something special with a rendering that outclassed anything else I've ever used.

Thanks Guys. Very interesting to read your views...

I haven't used my Fuji X-T2 since I bought the nikon Z. I'm in the middle of moving house so not doing any photography at the moment.
The Nikon feels much better in hand to me, but I am a long time Nikon user.
Despite what you may have read, the Z autofocus IMO beats the Fuji T2. It is certainly faster and as accurate if not more so. I have never used focus tracking on either camera.
I plan to keep the Fuji and use it with small primes.

I was pleasantly surprised at how ergonomic it is. I valued the Fuji analogue controls, but somehow the Z6 is just as logical. If you want you can seriously confuse yourself with all the options, but if you stick to basics you’ll be fine. I am pleasantly surprised to find that there is an iq quality between the H2 files and the Nikon, although I suspect the XT3 might give it a run for its money. But then the Fuji T3 doesn’t have IS, which is superb on the Z6.

PS I’ve put the exp comp on a wheel without button presses needed. Just have to remember which wheel does aperture and which does exposure comp.

I haven't used my Fuji X-T2 since I bought the nikon Z. I'm in the middle of moving house so not doing any photography at the moment.
Despite what you may have read, the Z autofocus IMO beats the Fuji T2. It is certainly faster and as accurate if not more so. I have never used focus tracking on either camera.

I was pleasantly surprised at how ergonomic it is. I valued the Fuji analogue controls, but somehow the Z6 is just as logical. If you want you can seriously confuse yourself with all the options, but if you stick to basics you’ll be fine. I am pleasantly surprised to find that there is an iq quality between the H2 files and the Nikon, although I suspect the XT3 might give it a run for its money. But then the Fuji T3 doesn’t have IS, which is superb on the Z6.

Again, very interesting to read your views. Many thanks for sharing them.

I also find the Nikon AF much more reliable with hardly any failures to date. Like you, I'm not ruling out keeping a Fuji with a couple of primes though it's not currently the most favoured option.

I also find the Nikon AF much more reliable with hardly any failures to date. Like you, I'm not ruling out keeping a Fuji with a couple of primes though it's not currently the most favoured option.

Must admit I’ve considered getting another Fuji as an add on. But I know I’ll never choose it over the Z. I’ve kept my X100F...might never use it again. I’ll keep it for a year just in case.

PS I’ve put the exp comp on a wheel without button presses needed. Just have to remember which wheel does aperture and which does exposure comp.
it does make some sense if you mainly shoot aperture priority mode like me. I'll probably leave it default for the moment though until I stop forever switching between cameras (and from now on, that should be already reducing)

Last edited:
I must admit after all the hoohah when the Z6 and Z7 first came out about its one card slot, AF issues etc. it is pleasing to see actual users are showing its strengths... It will be interesting to see how the Firmware update in May improves AF and adds eye focus... interesting times... and very tempting lol

I must admit after all the hoohah when the Z6 and Z7 first came out about its one card slot, AF issues etc. it is pleasing to see actual users are showing its strengths... It will be interesting to see how the Firmware update in May improves AF and adds eye focus... interesting times... and very tempting lol
I wonder how many of these reviewers, including dpreview, really tried to learn how the AF tracking is actually supposed to work, rather than whingeing about it not being like it is on the D850 or whatever. Some bloggers don't seem to have had any problems at all and many prefer the Z6 to the A7iii. Anyway, I'm sure it will be better come May. One of the things I like most about this system is that they are trying to bring out genuinely useful, reasonably lightweight lenses of excellent quality with prices that are at least not stratospheric and are already tumbling -- the 50mm f1.8 is currently £481 equivalent at my nearest dealer which isn't bad for the quality.

Drone instagram-4.jpg

Shot this morning with the FTZ and sigma 150-600C. Its not the sharpest (plus its reduced down to 650kb), but I think that was more down to me than the equipment. Focusing speed was good and no hunting. It did struggle a bit when I was shooting further away onto the water, missed quite a few shots -in AFS Full, kept focusing on the water and not the bird. More testing required I think. Edit: im by no means a wildlife photographer either :)

Last edited:
Hi - could I ask if anyone is using the AF-S 24-120mm f4 with the Z6?
I suppose what I'm really asking is - what I am gaining by buying the Z6 and 24-70mm f4 Z kit lens in preference to using the FTZ converter and excellent copy of a lens I own and am quite satisfied with?
(I'm currently using the 24/120mm with a D810).

Last edited:
Most go for kit lens with the body as it is priced competitively as a bundle.

Back