Nikon Z* mirrorless

don't forget that this rumoured $6000 lens is manual focus only so good luck in trying to focus in the dark :oops: :$. But then there are those who buy the Leica equivalent so who am I to interfere. Just envy no doubt. And indeed trying to shoot with a standard FL lens at a normal distance could open up new creative possibilities.

One thing with mirrorless is it will allow you to see much more detail than you could ever see through a DSLR OVF or by eye, so there's that in its favour :D

There's a time and a place and a subject for everything but I'm usually not a big fan of overdoing zero DoF and it is something that maybe can be done to death. For portraits for example I'm not a great fan of zero DoF and usually like to see the head in the DoF and for a tightish shot that's going to require an aperture nowhere near f0.95 :D

For your delectation, I've mono-ized this photo. Having trouble getting the reeds to stand out, though.

by Stephen Lee, on Flickr
any chance you could make the original RAW available for download? It's just the sort of thing that could be fun to play around with!

One thing with mirrorless is it will allow you to see much more detail than you could ever see through a DSLR OVF or by eye, so there's that in its favour :D

There's a time and a place and a subject for everything but I'm usually not a big fan of overdoing zero DoF and it is something that maybe can be done to death. For portraits for example I'm not a great fan of zero DoF and usually like to see the head in the DoF and for a tightish shot that's going to require an aperture nowhere near f0.95 :D
try this hands on if you haven't already seen it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=329&v=e4mRO39CyU0

Another from Buttermere. This is close to being SOOC - just pulled up the shadows and toned down the highlights a wee bit. This camera responds very well to shadow recovery, so if in doubt I underexpose.

Buttermere Farmyard by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

the mono is great.
good composition -- think I'd go for the mono here as there's plenty of texture to get your teeth into.
Thanks - I wasn't sure because to me the colour contrasts the beauty and colour of the hills with the already monotone-ishness (?) of the farmyard.

Promise this will be the last - for today! Heavily cropped but still holding plenty of detail.

Bringing in the Sheep by Stephen Lee, on Flickr
Actually I think this is the best of the Lakes photos so far you've posted. Sheep in varying states of motion blur with the one bottom right completely sharp. I'm curious which LR preset you use. I like the grittiness but the colour looks to me a bit too Velvia-ish perhaps.

Actually I think this is the best of the Lakes photos so far you've posted. Sheep in varying states of motion blur with the one bottom right completely sharp. I'm curious which LR preset you use. I like the grittiness but the colour looks to me a bit too Velvia-ish perhaps.
Actually I did use the Nikon preset “vivid”, which is Velvia all but the name, then toned down the mossy green of the fence posts.

Ouch just seen memory cards price

Ouch just seen memory cards price
Same ones that were in your D500 (y). They are crazy expensive, but then so are SD cards with the same/similar read/write speeds. I’m happy to stick with the slower ones and save money, still get 30+ shots with the D850 before the buffer fills, more than enough for me (y)

I used it for a netball match, very pleased with the results. I’ve used it for a concert, very pleased with the results. I’ve used it in the studio, very pleased with the results. I’ve not used it for wildlife yet.

Just read an article about a common occurrence of wear on the grip (right in the inside corner where your fingernails rub against the rubber). Had a look at mine and, blow me, mine is starting to wear too... bit disappointing for a three month old low use camera, still I suppose that's the worst of the 'issues' I've had so far and I guess it'll be addressed with the 2nd generation cameras. I've stuck a thin strip of black Gorilla tape over the wear point on mine which should stop any further deterioration, I'd be interested if anyone hears of any better solutions.

iPhone pics of wear and of tape fix attached... the tape doesn't look nearly as bad in real life BTW, you can hardly see it! :)

IMG_1025.jpg
IMG_1026.jpg

Just read an article about a common occurrence of wear on the grip (right in the inside corner where your fingernails rub against the rubber). Had a look at mine and, blow me, mine is starting to wear too... bit disappointing for a three month old low use camera, still I suppose that's the worst of the 'issues' I've had so far and I guess it'll be addressed with the 2nd generation cameras. I've stuck a thin strip of black Gorilla tape over the wear point on mine which should stop any further deterioration, I'd be interested if anyone hears of any better solutions.

iPhone pics of wear and of tape fix attached... the tape doesn't look nearly as bad in real life BTW, you can hardly see it! :)

View attachment 239798
View attachment 239799
Wonder if a half-case would help?

Just checked mine. Ok so far.

mine is showing wear in the same spot. i reckon its because the setup is lighter, i am using a strap less and holding the camera for much longer periods of time. this is obviously the pinch point of where most of the weight of the camera is transferred to my hand.

mine is showing wear in the same spot. i reckon its because the setup is lighter, i am using a strap less and holding the camera for much longer periods of time. this is obviously the pinch point of where most of the weight of the camera is transferred to my hand.
Cut yer fingernails :exit:

The grip on mine is fine, so far.
I agree about the 35/1.8S, it's a great lens.

I'd be very disappointing if my 3 month camera was wearing like that. What is the focusing speed like, I handled one today and it didnt seem that quick.

Back