Nikon Z* mirrorless

How good is the sharpness on the 24-70? say compared to old 24-70 2.8?

Well, after selling my d750 and sending it off to it's new owner yesterday I have taken the plunge and ordered the z6 from panamoz. Hopefully by this time next week I will be able to see what all the fuss is about and also have a lighter kit to lug around the locations.

Well, after selling my d750 and sending it off to it's new owner yesterday I have taken the plunge and ordered the z6 from panamoz. Hopefully by this time next week I will be able to see what all the fuss is about and also have a lighter kit to lug around the locations.

Congratulations.

It’s a wonderful camera.

just back from my first trip with the Z6. Took the 24-70 kit and 70-300 AF-P. Nothing else needed. The camera did an excellent job of capturing the light of Greece (mainly Aegina opposite Athens) at this time of the year so I've taken the liberty of posting one or two pics which I hope illustrate this.

DSC_0582.jpg

DSC_0613.jpg

DSC_0629.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a decent wriststrap to use with Z and 24-70? I have a peak design one but it is too tight on my wrist.

I'm thinking of getting a z6 kit.
Does the ibis stabilise the view through the evf with non stabilised lenses like the 24-70s? Do stabilised lenses such as the 70-300 afp behave differently?

With the 24-70, it seems the view is stabilised through the viewfinder when I compare to IBIS switched off. And the 70-300 AF-P certainly also stabilises the viewfinder view. In the latter case, I understand that Nikon uses a mixture of the lens OIS and body IBIS for the missing axes. With both lenses, I reckon on an average 3-4 stops effective stabilisation in my hands which is pretty reasonable for a 35mm sensor system.

With the 24-70, it seems the view is stabilised through the viewfinder when I compare to IBIS switched off. And the 70-300 AF-P certainly also stabilises the viewfinder view. In the latter case, I understand that Nikon uses a mixture of the lens OIS and body IBIS for the missing axes. With both lenses, I reckon on an average 3-4 stops effective stabilisation in my hands which is pretty reasonable for a 35mm sensor system.

excellent thanks. i was hoping it did.

I'm off on holiday in a couple of months with our good friends for 2½ weeks to Florida. Taking in the Disney and Universal theme parks, Kennedy space centre as well as the everglades, it promises to be a fab holiday. Rather than do my usual and weigh myself down with multiple bodies and at least 6 lenses etc., this year I'm thinking of just taking my new Nikon Z6 (as I'm in love with it's image quality), along with my 50mm AF-S F1.8 and 70-300 AF-P lenses via the FTZ adaptor. Would that lot suffice do you think, as I'm pretty sure I'll neither be able to get hold of, or be able to afford the new Nikon 14-30 F4 S lens before we set off ? Do you think 24mm would be wide enough ?

My 2nd question is with regards XQD cards. At present I only have 2. Both Sony G cards, one being a 120 gb and one a 32 gb, and I'm thinking with shooting 4k video as well, that might not be enough ? That being the case, where's the cheapest place that folk are getting their XQD cards from please ?

I just came back from holiday with nothing wider than 24 and needed nothing more. There are two main situations where an UWA is handy 1. simply to get everything in such as in cramped mediaeval European streets or, in your case, high skyscrapers if you're in a city. Also potentially in museums. 2. you like the artistic effect of a prominent foreground subject either for a landscape or a particular kind of environmental portrait and enjoy the associated perspective distortions. If neither applies, you should be fine with the 24-70 plus 70-300. Having said that, I'll probably want the 14-30 when the price comes down to three figures (second hand if necessary). A compromise is the much cheaper Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 which one or two members have bought.

Panamoz have good prices for the cards. I can't imagine ever needing more than a 120Gb card but then I don't do more than occasional video clips. Best to research first what quality you need and just how much you're likely to shoot and do the appropriate calculations. Perhaps more video orientated forum members could give more concrete advice here.

Last edited:
I'm off on holiday in a couple of months with our good friends for 2½ weeks to Florida. Taking in the Disney and Universal theme parks, Kennedy space centre as well as the everglades, it promises to be a fab holiday. Rather than do my usual and weigh myself down with multiple bodies and at least 6 lenses etc., this year I'm thinking of just taking my new Nikon Z6 (as I'm in love with it's image quality), along with my 50mm AF-S F1.8 and 70-300 AF-P lenses via the FTZ adaptor. Would that lot suffice do you think, as I'm pretty sure I'll neither be able to get hold of, or be able to afford the new Nikon 14-30 F4 S lens before we set off ? Do you think 24mm would be wide enough ?

My 2nd question is with regards XQD cards. At present I only have 2. Both Sony G cards, one being a 120 gb and one a 32 gb, and I'm thinking with shooting 4k video as well, that might not be enough ? That being the case, where's the cheapest place that folk are getting their XQD cards from please ?

We went to florida in 2016 and did everything you plan to aside the everglades, the only real use for the zoom i found was for disney's animal kingdom and possibly the lunchtime parade in magic kingdom. I found that i used my 24-70 for the other 99% of the holiday at varying focal lengths. The space centre was really good, when we first got there we thought "is this it???" with the rockets in the first bit but all the good stuff is when you go on the coach ride to the other bit where they have the big museum and shuttle etc. I didn't bother taking my camera to the universal parks at all, in disney you can take bags onto the rides (even the aerosmith one which goes upside down) but in universal you HAVE to stow them in lockers, i wasn't keen on doing that with a few grands worth of camera and lenses so just used my phone in those two. One thing i would say though is that you shouldn't take that as me saying there are thieves in universal, i never once felt like the camera etc would be at risk had i taken it but i just wasn't willing to take the chance just in case since it would be just my luck that i'd be the one who got my gear pinched!

Above all enjoy, we are going back in 2021 for the magic kingdom anniversary year and can't wait!

Just back from a ski week. Very pleased with the Z6 as a holiday camera... with the 24-70 it was convenient, lightweight and compact to carry in a Think Tank Photocross 13 sling bag with room for all the other essentials you have to lug around the mountains. I didn't take any UWA's up the mountains for reasons of space (the 14-30 Z would have been brilliant) but sometimes it's just too tempting to shoot ultra wide all the time in places like this so perhaps not such a bad thing to be restricted to 24mm and up. Effortless camera to use in the challenging environment of a ski piste.

Here's a view of Tignes in the valley with Mont Blanc in the distance. 24-70 Z at 24mm with a CPL (which has made the sky look almost unnaturally blue I think)... just a soupçon of pp.

Val d'Isere 2019
by Keith Hartwell, on Flickr

Thanks chaps, that's re-assuring.

Just ordered the 35 F1.8 S ..... Think it will quite nicely compliment the 24-70 F4 and the 70-300 AF-P that I got for a steal recently.... No more lens needed .... famous last words :)

Just ordered the 35 F1.8 S ..... Think it will quite nicely compliment the 24-70 F4 and the 70-300 AF-P that I got for a steal recently.... No more lens needed .... famous last words :)

Hahahahaha...

My experience of holiday snaps I would take the 24-70, probably do without the others.

Apart from the MP and focus point is there anything else on the z7 that better

Apart from the MP and focus point is there anything else on the z7 that better
Doubt it. I had a wee play with the Z7 before the 6 was available and saw no difference whatsoever in the handling. The Z6 is better at high ISO -- clearly so at a pixel level -- and supposedly also in video.

Anyone using a nikon 50mm 1.8 F lens with the Z adapt

Anyone using a nikon 50mm 1.8 F lens with the Z adapt

Yep, and absolutely love it. The FTZ adds a bit of size, but it's still roughly the same length as the 24-70 with the adaptor. Super sharp, focusses quickly - I think it's a great combo.

Yep, and absolutely love it. The FTZ adds a bit of size, but it's still roughly the same length as the 24-70 with the adaptor. Super sharp, focusses quickly - I think it's a great combo.

Thanks since it can be got used for £130 better than new Z at £500

I've got the AIS 50mm f1.8 and recently added the classic AIS 50mm f1.2 for £295. The 1.2 is pretty sharp from f2 and has greater contrast and punch than my 1.8 which in itself is far from shoddy. The 1.8 in turn is a noticeably better lens than the E series on which at least earlier versions of the AF generations were based. The S is undoubtedly the best of the lot (I had a couple of hours to try it out) with virtually no bokeh fringing and a sort of biting clarity than none of the F mount 50's can quite manage.

I'm hoping that the 50mm f1.2 will be good enough -- it may be dreamy at f1.2 and 1.4 (which of course can be an advantage) but then the S doesn't have this option at all and there's no way I'm going to consider the S f1.2 when it comes. The only thing is favour of the f1.8 S is that I may have a 14-30 + 50 +70-300 combo in due course and the rendering of the old AIS lenses won't really match.

Conclusion -- if you're going to use the 50mm f1.8 a lot then probably go for the S. Otherwise at around 60% of the price, the f1.2 or a quarter or less, a decent 50mm f1.8 version. Of course if you're going to be shooting moving subjects much then forget the AIS versions!

The z6 has arrived today from panamoz, I can't fault the service one bit.

I've not used the camera yet as I want to familiarize myself with it this evening, but I have just tried my samyang 14mm f2.8 AS IF UMC manual focus lens with the ftz adaptor and the camera says the lens is locked on all apertures except f22. Do I need to change something in the settings menus to use this lens?

Folks - how is manual focusing on the Z6/Z7? I assume peaking, etc is available?
Yes, peaking is available at various levels and colours, but even without these aids manual focussing is far better than any other mirrorless which I have tried.

The z6 has arrived today from panamoz, I can't fault the service one bit.

I've not used the camera yet as I want to familiarize myself with it this evening, but I have just tried my samyang 14mm f2.8 AS IF UMC manual focus lens with the ftz adaptor and the camera says the lens is locked on all apertures except f22. Do I need to change something in the settings menus to use this lens?

Try entering the focal length and maximum aperture and allocating a lens number in the Non-CPU lens data sub menu in the Set Up menu.

Yes, peaking is available at various levels and colours, but even without these aids manual focussing is far better than any other mirrorless which I have tried.

Thanks Stephen, been looking at Fuji again, Canon and even a D750.. but the Z6/Z7 is very tempting and lets face it I'm a Nikon fan...

Try entering the focal length and maximum aperture and allocating a lens number in the Non-CPU lens data sub menu in the Set Up menu.

It's not worked for me unfortunately, unless I've done some thing wrong.

I've tried what I did with my d750 and the custom settings doesn't have the aperture ring setting under the f menus from what I can see?

"Go to the Custom Settings Menu> f Controls > f6 Customize command dials> Aperture setting> and the choose Aperture Ring"

Many thanks Peter, the tape mod has worked a treat. I am eternally grateful to you :runaway:

Screenshot_20190403-210752_Samsung Internet.jpg

Opinions on the 24-70 f4? Good lens? I know there's not much choice natively anyway.
Also how well do 3rd party F mount lenses work? Thinking of something like the Sigma Art 35mm?

The kit 24-70 is very good. Had a Siggy Art, worked perfectly well. Sold it for the native 35. Just because of the weight and slightly front heavy balance. I find f1.8 fast enough for my uses
It’s also super sharp from wide open.

Last edited:
my only real complaint about the 24-70 is the very noticeable barrel distortion, particularly near 24. The vignetting is easier to eliminate. It relies heavily on software correction which is fair enough but other than Capture NX-D and probably Adobe, many RAW developers don't support this properly or at all. As a Capture One user, this is currently a bit annoying but I have to say in general, this is by far the best "kit lens" I've used in terms of sharpness, vivid colour, low fringing, excellent performance against the light etc.

As for the 35mm v Sigma Art, reviews I've read agree with Trevor inasmuch as, with the exception of bokeh, the S lens outperforms the Sigma.

my only real complaint about the 24-70 is the very noticeable barrel distortion, particularly near 24. The vignetting is easier to eliminate. It relies heavily on software correction which is fair enough but other than Capture NX-D and probably Adobe, many RAW developers don't support this properly or at all.

I don't have a problem with manufactures relying on software corrections but I don't understand why they don't give us an option to correct it in camera and get a corrected RAW output.
Sony is the same which is annoying tbh.
Olympus on the other hand provides corrected RAW files iirc. So it's possible.

Back